AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-10-08, 23:16   Link #1
monster

Time Format

If it's possible, could we have the option to display the time in a 12-hour format?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 00:07   Link #2
Kudryavka

Hup.

I am against this.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 00:23   Link #3
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Hup.

I am against this.
Why? It wouldn't affect you.
Old 2011-10-09, 01:48   Link #4
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Why? It wouldn't affect you.
Because military time is better at mind stimulating.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 02:08   Link #5
relentlessflame

*Administrator

At this time, this appears to be a global option in our Forum Software, and it does not appear to have a per-user equivalent choice. I did a bit of searching, and I see a lot of other vBulletin forums that have commented on this regrettable lack of functionality. It seems possible in theory to hack that sort of customization into the software, but I don't know if any of us will want to tackle that hack right now knowing that (as far as I know at least) we're still planning to migrate to a new version of the software at some point.

So my tentative answer would be that this seems unlikely, but I won't say no outright. I do think that, if we're only able to have a single global setting for everyone, the one we have seems reasonable.
Old 2011-10-09, 02:22   Link #6
monster

Alright, thanks for the reply. Hopefully there'll be a user-specific option in the future.
Old 2011-10-11, 00:46   Link #7
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I do think that, if we're only able to have a single global setting for everyone, the one we have seems reasonable.
I don't know, it seems a lot of people use the 12-hour time too. I always have to count in my head to see when a person posted which is a little annoying. If I had any gripe about this forum, it would only be this one.

Though, I'm glad you didn't say no outright. I'm looking forward to the user-specified feature if possible in the future.

Last edited by Revelation; 2011-10-11 at 00:57.
Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 16:08   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Dream View Post
I don't know, it seems a lot of people use the 12-hour time too. I always have to count in my head to see when a person posted which is a little annoying. If I had any gripe about this forum, it would only be this one.
You're what? Just set the proper values in you CP.

http://forums.animesuki.com/profile....eimg_uopt_date

This preference to 12-hour time is quite strange to be honest; people are actually more likely to get confused with AM/PM usually.
Old 2011-10-11, 17:42   Link #9
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You're what? Just set the proper values in you CP.

http://forums.animesuki.com/profile....eimg_uopt_date
Um, how does that help someone figure out that a post at 19:00 is posted at 7:00 at night if they're not used to the 24-hour format? I think that's what Golden Dream meant by having to count.
Old 2011-10-11, 21:49   Link #10
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Um, how does that help someone figure out that a post at 19:00 is posted at 7:00 at night if they're not used to the 24-hour format? I think that's what Golden Dream meant by having to count.
Yeah, that's what I meant. It's actually not that big of a deal to think about it for 5 seconds, but it would be nice if I didn't have to at all.
Old 2011-10-11, 23:58   Link #11
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant. It's actually not that big of a deal to think about it for 5 seconds, but it would be nice if I didn't have to at all.

Subtracting 12 has become a 5 second chore now? Just be glad you're not using Japanese broadcast schedules where they continue after 24:00 (e.g. gdgd Fairies airs at 27:00). I have no idea what time they revert back to morning hours, but I recall a joke in Hayate S1 where Nagi refused to get up saying that the time was only 32:00 .
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 00:15   Link #12
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahd View Post
Just be glad you're not using Japanese broadcast schedules where they continue after 24:00 (e.g. gdgd Fairies airs at 27:00). I have no idea what time they revert back to morning hours, but I recall a joke in Hayate S1 where Nagi refused to get up saying that the time was only 32:00 .
For whatever it's worth, they revert for sure at 06:00 (example).

As for the topic proper... in case you're curious, Wikipedia has a list of the countries that still commonly use 12-hour clocks. Looks like it's mostly in the Americas with a smattering in mostly English-speaking countries around the world.

I got to thinking also that one possible option would be to have a tooltip appear when you mouse-over the time that shows the conversion, but that still requires a mouse-over which isn't much faster for most than just doing the math. (It would avoid having to add a per-user option to the database, though. Or I guess maybe we could do something through a cookie if we had to...)
Old 2011-10-12, 03:21   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Mind has been blown.

@relentlessflame

Any global options can be overwritten right before rendering.

I made a small tutorial for you guys on to get simple things like this done: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...56#post2851156 (and this is how vB recommends you get it done BTW). Note that the piece of code is intended for vB4, but it's pretty much the same damn thing for vB3, only instead of a using objects that's an array. ie. Instead of $vbulletin->userinfo['field5'] you write $bbuserinfo['field5'] and instead of something like $vbulletin->options['legacypostbit'] you write $vboptions['legacypostbit'].