AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 146 81.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 15.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 1.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-31, 00:15   Link #81
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Preview:
Old 2011-08-31, 00:18   Link #82
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Ok now this is my theory:

We're now back in the beta timeline so Kurisu dies right at the start of the events portrayed by the show. In the beta timeline we also know that the d-mail Okabe sent either is undone or isn't picked up by CERN SERN so they aren't aware of it's existence. We also know that sometime in the future Daru, with the help of Okabe, will be able to build a complete time machine (I would like to believe that all the time Okabe re-lived with Kurisu helped but it's not important).

Since in the alpha timeline the world turns into a dystopia in the future and in the beta one (where SERN doesn't control time travel) the world descends into a WWIII we can conclude, imho, that the excessive control by SERN on the beta timeline is what actually prevented the war from breaking out in the first place therefore turning them into misguided good guys! Would you look at that hum?

Anyway there's one piece of info we still don't know and that's the reason for the war to actually break out. If my theory that it all hinges on multiple powers striving to control time travel is true than we have a simple solution: we must kill Daru (or Okabe but I want my KurisuXOkabe ending ).

OH and btw the usual disclaimer: that last paragraph is 100% speculation on my part. I've also resigned myself to the fact that Steins;Gate is "light" SciFi which means we probably won't get a good justification for the reason Okabe has his Reading Steiner ability. It's a plot device and strangely I'm OK with it.

Now onto the episode: I seriously was on the verge of shedding manly tears when watching this one. It's been so masterfully built up for the duration of the series that I just couldn't help but feel the bitter-sweetness of the events portrayed in the episode with full force. I've been slowly but surely grown to believe Kurisu to be one of the best female leads I've seen in anime lately and this episode just cements it. Their relationship is wonderfully done and I was nearly broken until those post-ending scenes showed up giving me a glimmer of hope. I was already halfway to this forums to confirm if this was indeed 24 episodes when I noticed the changes in the ED and not a minute too soon (otherwise I would have been mildly spoiled).

You are acutally 99% right. There is a manga out by the creators that tells the story from the POV of Suzuha, basically sern took over the world to prevent wars etc, but they made the world into a gattaga type world where emotion was suppressed so yes misguided good guys, suppressing humanity for the "greater good" This is why when Suzuha comes to 2010 the first time she's all surprised about all the stuff, the food the people, etc etc. . .with cern unable to make a time machine and control the world by suppressing humanity, wwIII breaks out.

the whole thing about how okabe got the reading steiner ability has been subtly explained throughout the anime (especially in episode 12, but think about the times when other people have "remembered" the past, especially mayuri and ferryis) but it was pretty much spelled out by kurisu in this very ep. what kurisu says also explains why others have hazy memories of stuff too. . .

and mayuri has ALREADY TOLD the viewers that she "remembers" what has been happening.

anyway, once you watch the final ep it will be clear why he has the powers (it will still be subtle but if you think about it for a second, you'll figure it out.) the "why can people remember other timelines" stuff has been explained in this ep

anyway some good episodes to watch again (in order) 12 for the begining,part, 2. . .the first 9 minutes. . .(when you see it you will shit bricks) 1, to figure out what is REALLY going on the eps where ferriys and ruka are persuaded to undo their d-mails(optional) ep 21(mayuris monologue at the grave) and ep 22.

P.S. one more thing about kurisu's monologue is that what she says about "you" being everywhere all at once is EXACTLY what happens in atoms. you know in junior high or high school you learn that the electrons in atoms are in orbitals orbiting around the nucleus. . .well that is wrong, there is a "probability field" that scientists have found like 20-30 years ago in which an electron is actually everywhere at the same time, and only collapses to one point and location when observed. . .not gonna get into more becuase I would need to write a book on it but yeah, just think about that for a second.

Last edited by CJ_Walker; 2011-08-31 at 00:38.
Old 2011-08-31, 00:29   Link #83
User165949
Disabled By Request

this time around, even the brief phrase uttered by Mayuri's seyuu near the end of the episode was played out great (previously, her performance wasn't exceptionally outstanding, but in some specific episode - possibly because of the script, and not her fault)

I think I've already said it, but... Okabe's seyuu had probably the role of his life, or -anyway - one of the most challenging the current state of this industry is able to offer (very easy to overpower Okabe's behaviour...).
Old 2011-08-31, 01:30   Link #84
EroKing

Another amazing episode once again, I have rated all episodes 10/10 so far but this deserved a hell lot more than that. I have never seen this level of romance before, it was beyond anything ever done in any other anime imo. I do wonder if all those time leaps have caused any physical damage in Okabe's brain, he seemed struggling a bit.

Now, if a third timeline does not exist then Okabe just needs to find a way to save Kurisu without shifting back to the alpha line. Hell if it was possible to bring back Feyris's dad back from the dead within the alpha line, same probably could be done for Kurisu. Also good to see Suzuha finally back in the series.

World War 3, Okabe really can't seem to find a break. This has been the best anime I have seen ever, so having very high expectations from the last two episodes.
Old 2011-08-31, 03:33   Link #85
satomianzaki

kampeki!!!
Old 2011-08-31, 03:40   Link #86
Doria

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxyz View Post
this time around, even the brief phrase uttered by Mayuri's seyuu near the end of the episode was played out great (previously, her performance wasn't exceptionally outstanding, but in some specific episode - possibly because of the script, and not her fault)

I think I've already said it, but... Okabe's seyuu had probably the role of his life, or -anyway - one of the most challenging the current state of this industry is able to offer (very easy to overpower Okabe's behaviour...).
Absolutely agree about Okabe's seiyuu. Very difficult role overall, and he handles both the comedy and the drama equally well. When Kurisu asks him to close his eyes, just his little laugh as he asks, "Why?" really got me. So nice to see the honest, vulnerable man, no longer hiding behind his Hououin persona.

And for bonus points, when I looked up his other roles, many were quite, quite different. I can hear the vocal similarities now that I know, but I wouldn't have guessed otherwise.

Though I think she's perfect in this part, I cannot honestly say the same for Hanazawa as Mayuri. That said, I agree that her little speech to Okabe at the end was lovely. The Mayuri ending is the sole character ending I was almost sorry not to have animated (plus that chapter's title was my favorite from the VN).

Speaking of audio, the music was perfectly arranged and timed. It's been a sparse OST, generally speaking, but when they've had full BGM, it's really stood out. This episode is the pinnacle of those efforts, I think.
Old 2011-08-31, 04:06   Link #87
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Powerful, and emotional episode. At first it seemed like Kurisu and Okabe were up to their usual antics, but with Okabe unable to hide the truth from Kurisu, we just had him breaking down under the stress.

He wanted everyone to survive. Repeat it no matter how many times it takes, some sacrifice were too much. just when do you draw the line? So he can't do it, but with Kurisu's help they continue with this desperate plan. Is this gonna fix everything? I have no idea. But Suzuha's back, and it looks like it's not over yet.

9/10. Strong episode, but I'm not really sure where we can go with the last 2 episodes.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-08-31, 06:24   Link #88
ookamigirl

Okabe & Kurisu ^^ wish they would be together since they totally suit each other.
How can she remember the past time lines? Well, at least she understands his feelings & how much he cares for Mayuri. Even willing to sacrifice herself...
Guess he's not willing to lose her too. OMG, confessing to Kurisu (^-^) finally!! So cute!
Think Okabe snapped a bit at the end, no wonder. Guess the price of time leap was pretty high all things considered.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2011-08-31, 06:32   Link #89
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

What the hell is this ending? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ENDING?!
Old 2011-08-31, 06:35   Link #90
Battler-kun

What's the ending song?
Is there already a full version of it?

EDIT:
Oh, found it, it's just the main theme.

Anyways, it's a brainfuck, when you would be able to timetravel backwards as not only past events shapes the present but the future events.
Could make you nothing but a prisoner.

Last edited by Battler-kun; 2011-08-31 at 06:52.
Old 2011-08-31, 06:55   Link #91
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

I said this a while back, but I realllly hope it's not Okabe who ends up somehow accidentally/or purposely killing this timeline's kurisu. Oh friggin gawd. Please nohhh. and if it's suzuha, i want to friggin bash her head on.

Excellent episode, Kurisu really is my all time favorite character!
Old 2011-08-31, 07:12   Link #92
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
You are acutally 99% right. There is a manga out by the creators that tells the story from the POV of Suzuha, basically sern took over the world to prevent wars etc, but they made the world into a gattaga type world where emotion was suppressed so yes misguided good guys, suppressing humanity for the "greater good" This is why when Suzuha comes to 2010 the first time she's all surprised about all the stuff, the food the people, etc etc. . .with cern unable to make a time machine and control the world by suppressing humanity, wwIII breaks out.

the whole thing about how okabe got the reading steiner ability has been subtly explained throughout the anime (especially in episode 12, but think about the times when other people have "remembered" the past, especially mayuri and ferryis) but it was pretty much spelled out by kurisu in this very ep. what kurisu says also explains why others have hazy memories of stuff too. . .

and mayuri has ALREADY TOLD the viewers that she "remembers" what has been happening.

anyway, once you watch the final ep it will be clear why he has the powers (it will still be subtle but if you think about it for a second, you'll figure it out.) the "why can people remember other timelines" stuff has been explained in this ep

anyway some good episodes to watch again (in order) 12 for the begining,part, 2. . .the first 9 minutes. . .(when you see it you will shit bricks) 1, to figure out what is REALLY going on the eps where ferriys and ruka are persuaded to undo their d-mails(optional) ep 21(mayuris monologue at the grave) and ep 22.

P.S. one more thing about kurisu's monologue is that what she says about "you" being everywhere all at once is EXACTLY what happens in atoms. you know in junior high or high school you learn that the electrons in atoms are in orbitals orbiting around the nucleus. . .well that is wrong, there is a "probability field" that scientists have found like 20-30 years ago in which an electron is actually everywhere at the same time, and only collapses to one point and location when observed. . .not gonna get into more becuase I would need to write a book on it but yeah, just think about that for a second.
Oh I see someone knows a bit of quantum mechanics.

We actually learn that in High School on my country so yes, I knew but I did go for the sciences branch so it's only natural.

As for the Reading Steiner I got all those things, everyone on the show seems to have it more or less but we still don't know why. We have the observation of the event but we lack the theory to explain it and I don't think the show is too concerned with it since it's just an important plot device to trigger the events in the series. Like I said I'm OK with it being that way, not everything needs an explanation in a story since many times it leads to technobable and that turns many viewers off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
What the hell is this ending? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ENDING?!
Did you actually watch the credits all the way through? Make sure you did, it's good for you. And eat your peas!
Old 2011-08-31, 07:22   Link #93
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
This was by far the best episode I've seen in the series so far. What struck me the most in this ep was the expressiveness of Okabe and Kurisu, not to mention how well the two worked together and shed light to them how close the two had grown before they even realized. The way the romance was made was wonderful and well timed, and probably the best I've seen in any anime I know of to date. The way Kurisu also made Okabe open his eyes to how much pain he was really in made that scene all the more memorable.

I imagine, now that Okabe received the news about WW3 breaking out, Okabe may be encouraged seek a solution to enter a timeline in which both Mayuri and Kurisu survive. A gamma timeline, if you will. As I said in another thread before, I believe, this will require him to break anything above the 2% divergence, which will be interesting to watch.

What I'm wondering now is how they plan to fit Okabe's present struggles in two episodes when it took 22 for his current struggle. I'm actually hoping for a second season depicting Okabe's attempts to stop WW3 from happening and save both Kurisu and Mayuri. Here's to hoping Kurisu also remembers what happened in the alpha timeline previously

I'd give this a 20/10 but that's not an option unfortunately
Old 2011-08-31, 07:26   Link #94
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

The poll says it all really. This really was a perfect episode.
Old 2011-08-31, 07:55   Link #95
Pacify

Wow. Can't be said enough, that was indescribably awesome.

I can't see the ending, and there is only 2 episodes left.. How often does that happen in anime these days!
Old 2011-08-31, 08:02   Link #96
com_gwp

I had this suspense of disbelief throughout the episode.

Don't get me wrong, I liked how their relationship developed throughout the series and this episode was something I've been hoping for, but the fact that Kurisu didn't have most, if there were even any, of the memories from her previous timelines just sorta deflates the emotional impact of the scenes when she didn't actually go through all those crazy events with Okabe that drove the development of their relationship
Old 2011-08-31, 08:02   Link #97
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

No offense, even though we all know that won't be the end of Kurisu, this episode made me shed a few tears. And daaaawww quite a lot too. DAMMNIT Y U KISS TWO EPISODES BEFORE IT ENDS??? It's like Kimi ni Todoke S2 again except there was actually a kiss.

Well the end was a bit of a shocker, WWIII and all.
Old 2011-08-31, 08:47   Link #98
Qikz

Oh my god that was astounding. How on earth is Okabe going to stop this from happening. He's sent the Denwarenji off on Mr Brauns truck alongside the IBN5100.

I really feel that the way Okabe needs to save both Kurisu and Mayushii is to recreate the timeline when Mayushii first died. The only reason why SERN killed her was she wasn't necessary for them to achieve their goals. Could Okabe not make it so that he saves Kurisu and then somehow makes Mayushii useful for SERN so they won't kill her when they storm the lab?

Ahhhh damn this is so good. Okabe needs to save Kurisu, he just has to!
Old 2011-08-31, 08:52   Link #99
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
I had this suspense of disbelief throughout the episode.

Don't get me wrong, I liked how their relationship developed throughout the series and this episode was something I've been hoping for, but the fact that Kurisu didn't have most, if there were even any, of the memories from her previous timelines just sorta deflates the emotional impact of the scenes when she didn't actually go through all those crazy events with Okabe that drove the development of their relationship
But she just said she has those memories during the stairs scene......

It's pretty clear now that nearly everyone retains the memories from the different world lines - the difference is only the degree of how clearly they remember. Okabe with his "Reading Steiner" just remembers them the most clear, but all the other people that Okabe had to erase the d-mails of have their memories intact.

At this point I think it should be abundantly clear since we've seen it repeated in every single "arc" - *everyone* has "Reading Steiner" - it's just that Okabe's is stronger than others which allows him to clearly recall the details while to others it's like a dream or deja vu, that's all. The fact that Okabe gave it this wacko name and claims that its his "ability" seems to have thrown people off to ever consider that maybe everyone else also has it but just not as strong as Okabe.
Old 2011-08-31, 09:27   Link #100
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
At this point I think it should be abundantly clear since we've seen it repeated in every single "arc" - *everyone* has "Reading Steiner" - it's just that Okabe's is stronger than others which allows him to clearly recall the details while to others it's like a dream or deja vu, that's all. The fact that Okabe gave it this wacko name and claims that its his "ability" seems to have thrown people off to ever consider that maybe everyone else also has it but just not as strong as Okabe.
I still remain unconvinced, I'm sure you've gotten the feeling of deja vu before. Your memories feels like a blur and is usually hazy. I can't quite buy that these memories were left strongly enough in her for their relationship to reach these levels now. Now if it was made clearer that these memories were still clear within her, I probably wouldn't be so pissy about it...

But hell, I've suspended my belief for crazier things. As stuff in anime go this was pretty sane already considering their development in the last 20 odd episodes.
Closed Thread