AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-08-30, 17:08   Link #2181
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Technically speaking- they haven't even announced a released date yet...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 17:16   Link #2182
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Technically speaking- they haven't even announced a released date yet...
Yeah but most likely they are going to match PS4's date at November 15th.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 06:49   Link #2183
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

http://gematsu.com/2013/09/halo-for-...th-halo-5-logo
Old 2013-09-02, 20:55   Link #2184
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Microsoft: "Xbox One isn't a native media center extender."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667985

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...about-xbox-one

Quote:
Will Xbox One work as a Windows Media Center Extender? For those that use a PC with TV tuner to record and watch TV, we use the 360 as an extender to stream this content to TVs. Will this continue with Xbox One?

WHITTEN: Xbox One isn’t a native Media Center Extender. We’ll continue to work to enable more ways for everyone to get the television they want over the life of the program.
Old 2013-09-02, 22:22   Link #2185
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Just wondering, would it be so bad for Microsoft to just postpone the Xbox 1 until it is ready? They will be only hurting themselves if they release now.
There are only really two release scenarios: either release before Black Friday, or do so in February. If the Xbone had a lot of momentum, then a later release won't hurt it much, but right now, ceding an entire holiday to Sony is a death sentence. From the lack of a launch schedule, it's pretty clear that Microsoft is running into delays in a number of areas. However, we should still expect the consoles to be in stores (in North America) in November. It'll likely be a couple of weeks after the PS4, but it will still be November - Europe may or may not be sacrificed to make this happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Microsoft: "Xbox One isn't a native media center extender."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/...about-xbox-one
Given how niche Media Center is, I don't think that this comes as much of a surprise.

Not being able to load games to external hard drives at launch is a much bigger deal.
Old 2013-09-03, 03:59   Link #2186
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
No doubt it will sell. Though not as much as it would if Xbox 1 was a competent gaming system. What I meant to say, with this level of Information, Halo will not be convincing many buyers of the PS4 faction to switch or buy an Xbox 1.
Nnno, but that faction is firmly rooted in the PS4 anyway. Halo's going to give them the people who love and maybe even grew up with Halo. That's millions of sales right there.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 04:05   Link #2187
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Nnno, but that faction is firmly rooted in the PS4 anyway. Halo's going to give them the people who love and maybe even grew up with Halo. That's millions of sales right there.
That 's a little defeatist isn't it? I mean, many 360 owners were former PS2 owners. MS didn't release the 360 while assuming they could never grab the PS2 fans because "they are firmly rooted".

IF MS wants to win this war they need to act like they can win.
Old 2013-09-03, 08:57   Link #2188
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Those people would've already bought a bone anyway, since they know Halo will come out. Basically, this isn't anything that will boost sales beyond what they already would've been.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 10:52   Link #2189
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That 's a little defeatist isn't it? I mean, many 360 owners were former PS2 owners. MS didn't release the 360 while assuming they could never grab the PS2 fans because "they are firmly rooted".

IF MS wants to win this war they need to act like they can win.
Microsoft is too busy trying to launch and play defense to even think about winning. Right now, there are four broad categories of potential buyers (in terms of consoles): 360-only gamers, PS3-only gamers, gamers on both systems, and non-console gamers. Of these, only the 360-only gamers have a good chance of buying a Xbone within 3 months of launch. Multi-platform gamers and non-console gamers are going to predominantly favor the PS4 for price if nothing else. And it's just about inconceivable for a PS3-only gamer to buy a Xbone any time in the near future.

Microsoft did have a vision for the Xbone going in, but that vision died a horrible death at E3. All of the announcements and policy changes since then have been an attempt to stave off disaster. Heck, Microsoft is in enough trouble just trying to launch in November. I don't think that they're even contemplating the idea of winning at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Those people would've already bought a bone anyway, since they know Halo will come out. Basically, this isn't anything that will boost sales beyond what they already would've been.
Showing Halo is a good way of securing gamers who might have drifted to PS4 instead. It's part and parcel the reason why Microsoft announced games that were in no shape to be shown yet. The problem with this strategy is that they have had nothing to announce since then, leaving Sony alone to talk about cool things at Gamescom, PAX, TGS, etc.
Old 2013-09-03, 11:56   Link #2190
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Showing Halo is a good way of securing gamers who might have drifted to PS4 instead. It's part and parcel the reason why Microsoft announced games that were in no shape to be shown yet. The problem with this strategy is that they have had nothing to announce since then, leaving Sony alone to talk about cool things at Gamescom, PAX, TGS, etc.
The announcement of Halo could also backfire as well. Previously, when Microsoft spoke of Halo, the only information they let loose with a remake of Halo 2. Now a couple of months after E3, they decided to announce Halo 5? It really indicate that Microsoft is on fumes right now.

The last thing Microsoft need is people start speculating that this is just a rouse to bring back attention to the system and Halo 5 isn't near ready until next Holidays next year or even 2015. I find it hard to believe that Halo 5 is ready for 2014. Halo 4 started production in 2009 and it wasn't until 2012 it was finish. The announcement of Halo 4 was on June 6, 2011 a good two years of production before announcement. It has been less than a year and they already announce Halo 5. They better hope this isn't like the The Last Guardian of the PS3.
Old 2013-09-03, 12:26   Link #2191
4Tran

Quote:
The announcement of Halo could also backfire as well. Previously, when Microsoft spoke of Halo, the only information they let loose with a remake of Halo 2. Now a couple of months after E3, they decided to announce Halo 5? It really indicate that Microsoft is on fumes right now.
Personally, I agree that it was a mistake for Microsoft to announce Halo at E3. However, the narrative coming out of the May reveal was that the Xbone was an entertainment device that had no games. What established franchises did Microsoft have at E3 to counter this perception? The only noteworthy franchises associated with Microsoft are Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Alan Wake and Fable. Of these, they already revealed Forza, so they needed something new for E3. Killer Instinct and Dead Rising had never been closely tied to Xbox, so they weren't going to be enough. Too bad for Microsoft that the Halo announcement barely made a splash.

Quote:
The last thing Microsoft need is people start speculating that this is just a rouse to bring back attention to the system and Halo 5 isn't near ready until next Holidays next year or even 2015. I find it hard to believe that Halo 5 is ready for 2014. Halo 4 started production in 2009 and it wasn't until 2012 it was finish. The announcement of Halo 4 was on June 6, 2011 a good two years of production before announcement.
I think that it'll be as important for Microsoft to release Halo before Black Friday 2014 as it is to release the Xbone this November. No doubt they'll move heaven and earth to make that happen. If releasing Forza in an unfinished state goes over without too much problem, they'll do the same thing for Halo. Will Halo be rushed? Almost certainly. Will it be buggy and unpolished? Quite likely. However, it will be out.

Quote:
It has been less than a year and they already announce Halo 5. They better hope this isn't like the The Last Guardian of the PS3.
The Last Guardian has the same problem as Versus XIII: not enough people working on the game. This won't be a problem with Halo as 343i has hundreds of developers, and I'm sure that Microsoft will pull in more people if they feel the need to do so.
Old 2013-09-03, 12:44   Link #2192
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Personally, I agree that it was a mistake for Microsoft to announce Halo at E3. However, the narrative coming out of the May reveal was that the Xbone was an entertainment device that had no games. What established franchises did Microsoft have at E3 to counter this perception? The only noteworthy franchises associated with Microsoft are Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Alan Wake and Fable. Of these, they already revealed Forza, so they needed something new for E3. Killer Instinct and Dead Rising had never been closely tied to Xbox, so they weren't going to be enough. Too bad for Microsoft that the Halo announcement barely made a splash.

I think that it'll be as important for Microsoft to release Halo before Black Friday 2014 as it is to release the Xbone this November. No doubt they'll move heaven and earth to make that happen. If releasing Forza in an unfinished state goes over without too much problem, they'll do the same thing for Halo. Will Halo be rushed? Almost certainly. Will it be buggy and unpolished? Quite likely. However, it will be out.

The Last Guardian has the same problem as Versus XIII: not enough people working on the game. This won't be a problem with Halo as 343i has hundreds of developers, and I'm sure that Microsoft will pull in more people if they feel the need to do so.
If they do release Halo 5 next year and it is not ready, it would be a slap in the face to loyal customers and be more destructive for them later on. Even if they announce Gears of War for next year, doubt it would even change the perception. Fable may bring some excitement, but not enough to turn the gears back in their favor.
Old 2013-09-03, 13:46   Link #2193
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Just a small correction: I believe the rights to Alan Wake are still with Remedy, not with Microsoft. It was published by Microsoft Game Studios (hence mandatory 360 exclusivity) but it was simply a publishing deal and not an IP buy.
Old 2013-09-03, 14:43   Link #2194
4Tran

Quote:
If they do release Halo 5 next year and it is not ready, it would be a slap in the face to loyal customers and be more destructive for them later on. Even if they announce Gears of War for next year, doubt it would even change the perception. Fable may bring some excitement, but not enough to turn the gears back in their favor.
I don't really think that the shape of Halo will be all that important. Microsoft's main problem is going to be from launch to March 2014. The launch itself is going to be a real fight to get all the promised features up and running, to get performance to decent standards, to get games finished, and to ship sufficient units. Microsoft has already failed at several of these, and it's likely that they'll fail at more.

After that, the Xbone doesn't have much in the way of follow-up games until Titanfall hits in May-June. As Microsoft resorted to announcing games at E3 that don't even have titles yet, it's likely that anything else they're up to are going to be 2015 titles. In the PS4 camp, they'll have lots and lots of indie and Free-to-Play titles in that same period, with Infamous and probably the Order. And Sony will be continually announcing all of the new titles that they haven't even been hinting at throughout this entire period. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Xbone is considered an also-ran even before Titanfall lands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Just a small correction: I believe the rights to Alan Wake are still with Remedy, not with Microsoft. It was published by Microsoft Game Studios (hence mandatory 360 exclusivity) but it was simply a publishing deal and not an IP buy.
I believe that Gears of War belongs to Epic as well. It's just that these titles are associated with Microsoft, and they have some prominence. To be fair, it's indicative of just how big Sony's advantage is in internal IPs: Gran Turismo, God of War, Uncharted, Jak and Daxter, Rachet and Clank, Little Big Planet, the Last of Us, Infamous, and on and on.
Old 2013-09-04, 02:06   Link #2195
Dextro
He Without a Title

Xbox One gets a CPU speed boost to go with its faster GPU

Quote:
Polygon reports that the console's AMD-produced CPU cores will run at 1.75GHz in the shipping version of the console instead of the 1.6GHz that they've run at in development kits so far.
The more they talk the more I fear that the system is going to end up with a lot of issues. How can I put my trust in the system when they're changing the specs so late in the game?
Old 2013-09-04, 04:17   Link #2196
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Well Nintendo did the same thing with that infamous direct, where they pretty much completely blew their load. Same thing Sony will do (and they did for the ps3) if Titanfall really became the next COD and launched Xbone sales into the stratosphere. If you're driven into a corner, you will try and fight your way out.

*Yes it's rumored to be a year timed exclusive, most people aren't waiting a year, yes there's a 360 version, it will be an inferior port, VITA has FIFA 14 if you want to look @ it that way lol. Yes it's on PC, how's the sales of COD on PC compare to consoles?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 04:42   Link #2197
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Xbox One gets a CPU speed boost to go with its faster GPU

The more they talk the more I fear that the system is going to end up with a lot of issues. How can I put my trust in the system when they're changing the specs so late in the game?
Yeah.

I mean, the argument is that it supposedly happen all the time and as such isn't a big deal. Yet we have Sony as contrast, who had the hardware finalised months ago and didn't see the need to give updates because they feel they are comfortable with their final product.

No, Sony didn't tell us their clock speed. But they don't need to. Because Sony is giving off an aura of confidence, and as such the same confidence reaches the customers. Is it Justified? Who knows. But we know MS has to work a lot harder to do promotions.
Old 2013-09-04, 08:03   Link #2198
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Sound like they have announced the release date, and it's Nov 22nd.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...date-announced
Old 2013-09-04, 12:43   Link #2199
4Tran

Quote:
I don't think that a CPU upclock is much cause for concern. Microsoft would have deemed any heat and power increase to have satisfactory failure rates. It's pretty much all good news for Xbone buyers. The only worrying element is that Microsoft is talking about specifications when they should be avoiding that conversation. It's probably indicative of how much they're worried about the launch. Same with all the last-minute policies/pack-in offers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Well Nintendo did the same thing with that infamous direct, where they pretty much completely blew their load. Same thing Sony will do (and they did for the ps3) if Titanfall really became the next COD and launched Xbone sales into the stratosphere. If you're driven into a corner, you will try and fight your way out.
Pretty much. I do question whether it's ever worked though. How many people would buy a console today for games that won't be available for the next 18 months? Compare that gain to the lack of new announcements for long stretches of time. It certainly hasn't worked for the Wii U. I guess it'd be most effective if the early announcements are of games that nobody expect, but yet garner a huge amount of buzz. Microsoft making a new Halo will surprise absolutely no one, and so accomplishes very little. Its announcement would have had more effect had it come either February 2014 or E3 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Yeah.

I mean, the argument is that it supposedly happen all the time and as such isn't a big deal. Yet we have Sony as contrast, who had the hardware finalised months ago and didn't see the need to give updates because they feel they are comfortable with their final product.

No, Sony didn't tell us their clock speed. But they don't need to. Because Sony is giving off an aura of confidence, and as such the same confidence reaches the customers. Is it Justified? Who knows. But we know MS has to work a lot harder to do promotions.
Simply put, Sony's messaging has been exemplary while Microsoft's has been terrible. In the last few weeks, Xbone messaging is still pretty awkward and uncomfortable, but it's a big improvement over what it used to be like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Sound like they have announced the release date, and it's Nov 22nd.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...date-announced
Finally. I'd say that the extra week the PS4 has in North America will be more valuable than the week the Xbone has in Europe. However, it shouldn't make too much difference in the long run. I do expect that a lot of features of the Xbone will be incomplete at launch - even more than what we already know about.
Old 2013-09-04, 15:03   Link #2200
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Finally. I'd say that the extra week the PS4 has in North America will be more valuable than the week the Xbone has in Europe. However, it shouldn't make too much difference in the long run. I do expect that a lot of features of the Xbone will be incomplete at launch - even more than what we already know about.
I feel that it shouldn't be about launch that is the main concern for Sony and Microsoft. I mean no doubt, getting the product out there is important, but I feel that the first two weeks after launch is the main concern. Despite the differences of dates.

It is going to be chaos once launch start, many people will be edging to get their systems. They of coarse are the hardcore gamers, however the majority of regular gamers or casual gamers will be coming to get their system within that two week period.

Within those two weeks there will be the reviews of each system (there may be early reviews though not many) by both gaming websites and their experts and consumer reviews (us the buyers).

Finally, there is the "invisible hand" in gaming by of coarse those who only own their game systems at launch will undoubtedly be the strongest of force to which company gets the most success. The first buyers will give their impression of each system to their closest friends which will either result in buying the system or not. Then, like women's gossip, spreads fast by voice, emails, twitter or whatever means.

For Sony and Microsoft, their biggest worry to their profits and investment is this two week period. Whoever wins the two week period, wins for the long term. In my opinion.