Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-03, 17:21   Link #341
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
Wait, they only had about the first three or so released didnt they? It was cut off before the dub for the first season was finished.
Old 2008-07-03, 17:31   Link #342
Rayneing
Trombe!

I thought they continued bubbing and subbing all the licenses they had, they just couldn't distribute them.
Old 2008-07-03, 18:05   Link #343
Little Machi
Banned

Only the first three volumes were released, but the dubbing was already finished for the whole series.
Old 2008-07-03, 18:55   Link #344
Icehawk

Thank you.... THANK YOU.... THANK YOU Funimation!!!.......You are now officially made of a whole new level of pure uncharted WIN.
Old 2008-07-03, 19:21   Link #345
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
Thank you.... THANK YOU.... THANK YOU Funimation!!!.......You are now officially made of a whole new level of pure uncharted WIN.
Agreed 1000%

Though I'd prefer if my first three volumes didn't become obsolete (meaning they release what Geneon already released as Geneon already released it). I'm happy that it's coming out at all, but I don't want to have to rebuy volumes 1-3.

Also, a Kai license would be nice too. *hopes*
Old 2008-07-03, 20:52   Link #346
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
Ah, I didnt know that. That makes sense!
Old 2008-07-03, 21:28   Link #347
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Machi View Post
All the DVDs are already dubbed. I wish they'd make them better.@_@
Agreed, a redux is in order.

It's not unprecidented that series are entirely redubbed, but they are few and far between. I know if I ruled the world/had exorbitant amounts of disposable income that I would definitely had the series redubbed.
Old 2008-07-03, 22:49   Link #348
Little Machi
Banned

It's not the voices, really. Aside from Rika's, I can tolerate most of them. And I like being friends with the VA for my favorite character, who everyone seems to agree did a perfect job. It's all the little things.

-Limited Edition that was really nothing special. If you really want to encourage people to buy this, make it worth it. And what the heck was up with that box? Higurashi is a new murder-mystery anime you're trying to promote, so why the heck would you make the box a pink that doesn't match the DVDs, with the main characters looking like sluts? It gives people the wrong idea about the anime, clashes terribly, doesn't exactly encourage the female fans to buy, and I know of at least several parents that refused to pick this up for their kids because they thought it was a hentai. Give us a pencil board or a real poster or a t-shirt or something.

-Descriptions on the backs of the DVDs that were either inaccurate or filled with spoilers. Then add the unshadowing of the opening scene of the first episode and individual episode summaries, and all surprise is just about gone.

-Huge, bright neon subtitles. Doesn't exactly scream horror, and they're annoying. People are just gonna stick with WiND if you make subs like that.

-Not bothering to recolor the scene in episode 1 or 2, where Mion is having a serious crisis during that picnic scene. How the heck does something like that even happen?

-No extras. Even when extras were promised online and on store sites, they were never on any of the DVDs. Trailers are not extras, people.

And that's just to name a few problems I had with the Geneon release. Someone needs to do something. This series has amazing potential, but can Funimation wield it properly?
Old 2008-07-04, 23:00   Link #349
Benny1
Friendly Manga Editor

Send a message via AIM to Benny1 Send a message via MSN to Benny1
Are you sure those problems don't exist with the Japanese dvds? I don't know, I'm just wondering. It's silly to complain about an issue that was the same in Japan, and blame it on our dubbers.
Old 2008-07-04, 23:54   Link #350
grgspunk

Quote:
It gives people the wrong idea about the anime, clashes terribly, doesn't exactly encourage the female fans to buy, and I know of at least several parents that refused to pick this up for their kids because they thought it was a hentai. Give us a pencil board or a real poster or a t-shirt or something.
...You've got to be kidding me, right? It wasn't even meant for kids to begin with! Even if the parents did buy it, they'd probably return it to the store after seeing the first 15 seconds of the very first episode! That 16+ rating isn't there for nothing, you know.

You do also realize that the box, though it doesn't cover the murder-mystery aspects of Higurashi, illustrates the "moe" side of the show. I mean, it is a show that's designed with a specific audience in mind: Male Japanese viewers who are into moe, horror and/or mystery shows, in addition to those who've played the games.

While I can agree that there could have been more extras, I kinda like the box design because it's so devilishly misleading. Besides, there's always the insert inside of the box that gives an informative description of the title, and that doesn't mislead. The show wasn't meant to be family-friendly at all, so why do they have to change it?
Old 2008-07-05, 00:20   Link #351
Little Machi
Banned

I don't know if the technical issues were in the Japanese version, but I do recall hearing they did have the color problem, but had fixed it.

And I don't mean actual kids. Even teenagers sometimes use their parents' credit cards or go to the store with them or ask them to pick something up for them. As fans, we naturally know the series has a moe side and the box shows that, but a parent or new fan would not, and a lot of people aren't into hentai. I hate to say it, but a lot of the Higurashi art can be a bit tasteless. The rather disturbing official pic of the girls in swimwear comes to mind. When you are releasing a new series, you want a box that makes people interested. And it still clashes terribly with the DVDs. Shion is shaded to look like she's not wearing underwear, and she is practically making out with Mion. Then the two little girls wearing the skimpy leather outfits. It's misleading, and what about all the female fans? They should just stick with a different box. That one would be better suited for later or something.
Old 2008-07-05, 01:32   Link #352
grgspunk

Doesn't that kinda indicate that the "female audience", as well as people who might be disturbed at looking at those kind of things might not have been included in Geneon's list of target audiences when releasing this show? If someone is offended by looking at girls wearing those kind of outfits, then they probably can't handle seeing the same girls being subjected to horrendous violence.
Old 2008-07-05, 01:38   Link #353
Little Machi
Banned

Not really. There's a huge difference between hentai and murder mystery. And there are a lot of girls who like Higurashi, but not the rather ridiculous artwork.
Old 2008-07-05, 01:40   Link #354
grgspunk

Either way, the people that might be offended by seeing the artwork probably weren't the people Geneon intended to cater to. They released this primarily with the hardcore male otaku in mind. It's nice to see females enjoying such a great title, but the show wasn't really designed to cater to them, much in the same way that anime isn't really made with a non-Japanese audience in mind. I see little incentive for them to even care, because it makes little sense for them to change something just because they've offended some people who weren't even part of their target audience to begin with. Besides, is there something inherently wrong with hentai in general? If you're concerned with what other peoples' perception of anime and its viewers, have you considered actually enjoying the hobby instead of being occupied with what others think? You're taking things too seriously.

Anyways, Higurashi has two sides to it: The horror-filled murder-mystery side, and a fetishy, moe-filled side with innuendo mixed in. The box art focuses on the moe element, while the art on the DVD case focuses on the murder-mystery aspect. If I were tasked to market this title, I'd say that the female audience is the least likely to pick this one up, because both aspects of the show were mostly designed with a male audience in mind. I mean, I can't really imagine trying to market a horror-style title while trying to be sensitive to the female audience, and neither can I imagine successfully marketing a title with fetishy moe elements that contains some innuendo, all the while trying to be sensitive to the female audience. With this in mind, how exactly is their marketing division supposed to be sensitive to the female audience when trying to market a title that combines those two elements?

Last edited by grgspunk; 2008-07-05 at 02:33.
Old 2008-07-05, 03:06   Link #355
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Not really. There's a huge difference between hentai and murder mystery. And there are a lot of girls who like Higurashi, but not the rather ridiculous artwork.
I agree with everything you've said, I'm a female fan and I LOVE a good horror, and anything with a lot of blood, so I'm a girl, big deal, it's ANIMATED blood! Every girl I know also loves this show, and the horror genre. Look at the popularity of titles like Vampire Knight. They are horror, and aimed at girls. Modern girls can stomach a whole lot more than some of you seem to give us credit for. That being said, I think what you said about the art is also very true. Although there is a Moe side to Higurashi, you NEVER see any actual twincest or any implications of it, people would only get that idea from the art box and cover of volume 5 I believe it was. Also, since they couple those racy pictures with the 16+ rating, of course people are going to think the main character is doing every single one of them, especially with the whole "this was based on a doujin" stigma, if people don't know that the games really weren't hentai. It's rated 16+ for violence, not sex.
Old 2008-07-05, 16:04   Link #356
Little Machi
Banned

Exactly, Dreamie.^^ And when you're dealing with a series like Higurashi, your job is to cater to everyone who might like it. To long-time fans, it might add to the fun to see new people buy it thinking it's something else, but how would you feel if you thought you were buying one thing and ended up with something completely different? Higurashi's not for everyone, and I reckon a lot of people would be ticked off. And like I said, the box horribly clashes with the DVDs thenselves and gives nothing to the many female fans. I think they should release it in a darker box. Come on, Funimation, don't let us down!
Old 2008-07-06, 22:36   Link #357
Benny1
Friendly Manga Editor

Send a message via AIM to Benny1 Send a message via MSN to Benny1
As far as I can tell, putting images like that on dvds for LE is actually uh fairly common? This is a kinda guess though so do please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 2008-07-06, 22:56   Link #358
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
As far as I can tell, putting images like that on dvds for LE is actually uh fairly common? This is a kinda guess though so do please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, most LE editions of anime dvd have images like that in Japan. Hell just look at the DVD covers for Kai
Old 2008-07-07, 20:18   Link #359
Little Machi
Banned

But in Japan, Higurashi was already insanely popular, and the episodes had been shown on TV first.

As a side note, the Funimation DVDs are supposed to be coming out in late September.
Old 2008-07-07, 21:09   Link #360
Eryops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Yes, most LE editions of anime dvd have images like that in Japan. Hell just look at the DVD covers for Kai
All the Japanese Higurashi DVD covers looked rather deceptive. Based on their appearance one would guess that the series was a slice of life show.
Spoiler for plot spoiler regarding episode 1-4:

Quote:
As a side note, the Funimation DVDs are supposed to be coming out in late September.
Do you happen to know if the are continuing with the same format as Geneon's releases or if they're repackaging and rereleasing the series?

Last edited by Skyfall; 2008-07-11 at 16:04.
Closed Thread