AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-19, 21:28   Link #41
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
And I repeat: ANY QUESTIONS??
Yes: considering how Monty Python is something quintessentially British, why do I not see Lucky Star ever being released here?

(note: while PaniPoni Dash is getting a release somehoworother, we still don't have TSR despite already having the first two Furumeta series so I have major doubts about any KadoUSA title getting here anytime soon)
Old 2007-11-19, 22:06   Link #42
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
Yes: considering how Monty Python is something quintessentially British, why do I not see Lucky Star ever being released here?

(note: while PaniPoni Dash is getting a release somehoworother, we still don't have TSR despite already having the first two Furumeta series so I have major doubts about any KadoUSA title getting here anytime soon)
Those are two good questions I can't answer because I have no idea when your anime distributor will release those in Great Britain (unless you import the titles).

Old 2007-11-19, 22:58   Link #43
The Timotei Teller
Hot under these lights...

Now that I think about it, if the US thought PaniPoni Dash was good enough to be licensed, I no longer find it surprising that Lucky Star was too. After all, if the mainstream audience fails, we always have the hardcore US fanbase to shovel their money into it (myself included ).

Oh, and by the way Tokkan, I totally agree with you on the Melissa Fahn thing. I've actually been thinking about that since I first started watching Lucky Star way back in April.

But I'm okay with Wendee Lee (for consistency reasons), but I still wish there was some way they could use someone else without killing the in-jokes.

Last edited by The Timotei Teller; 2007-11-20 at 21:17.
Old 2007-12-07, 02:50   Link #44
Tonytime20
Kona (coffee) Junkie

I hope they do a good job. Sure it probably won't be as good as the original, but for people who are seeing the series for the first time, and for people who are new to anime, it should be pretty good. Changing a language is never better for anything (movies, tv shows, etc.) but they can certainly be tolerable and still decent at least. Even the German version of Blade was good. Who's to say Lucky Star won't be?
Old 2007-12-07, 03:00   Link #45
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonytime20 View Post
Changing a language is never better for anything (movies, tv shows, etc.) but they can certainly be tolerable and still decent at least. Even the German version of Blade was good.
Cowboy Bebop fans would beg to differ as the idea the dub of Cowboy Bebop is better than the original is a widely shared opinion. Though that's mainly because Bebop's a show that works better in English, as it's a very American show in spite of being Japanese-produced.

Lucky Star, by contrast, is a very Japanese show. It's hard for an English dub to feel right with it. Nonetheless, that does not harm its marketability to Americans *points to all the Monty Python example posts*.
Old 2007-12-07, 03:02   Link #46
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I always suggest to people to watch, say, Das Boot in the original German after seeing the English dub.... that *usually* gets my point across that most dubs are mere echoes of the original even if a lot of money is spent.
Old 2007-12-09, 13:00   Link #47
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Cast list and release info for Lucky Star has been revealed!

Quote:
Konata Izumi - Wendee Lee
Tsukasa Hiiragi - Michelle Ruff
Kagami Hiiragi - Kari Wahlgren
Miyuki Takara - Karen Strassman
Akira - Stephanie Sheh
Minoru - Sam Regal
Kuroi-sensei - Kate Higgins
Hmmm, when the last time I heard Wendee Lee pull off a young, cutesy girl voice? In any case, doing Konota's voice will prove to be tricky!
Old 2007-12-09, 17:59   Link #48
~ Lawliet ~

It should be interesting to see how this is americanized for reasons obvious.
Old 2007-12-09, 18:06   Link #49
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Lawliet ~ View Post
It should be interesting to see how this is americanized for reasons obvious.
Eh?

Quote:
- DVD Liner notes to be included for explanations of inside jokes and references in the series.
DING DING.

I'm really confused by the amount of people who think they're going to change all the jokes. It's an otaku show, if they change anything then hell will be raised. Kadokawa and Bandai fully know that. I'm expecting the dub to be far less Americanised than a.f.k.'s subs.
Old 2007-12-09, 18:30   Link #50
FireChick

I KNEW IT!!! I KNEW Wendee Lee was gonna do Konata!! Oh hey! Nova's voice from Super Robot Monkey Team is doing Kagami! Yes! I can picture Nova's voice as Kagamin! Hehe!
Old 2007-12-09, 19:43   Link #51
Sirth
Command of the Revenants

Send a message via AIM to Sirth Send a message via MSN to Sirth
Wendee Lee doing Kona is a no brainer. I think she can do it, actually.

But Michelle "Alicia" Ruff doing Tsukasa? PRINCESS ALICIA? Oh hell yes, that's perfect there. I may actually have to get this now.

Sheh should be fine as Akira, though can she do a "I want to rip your head off" voice? Drill drill...

Sam Regal's a no brainer, considering who Sebastian plays. I'm liking him anyway. He can do both characters like Taniguchi and Silabus well.

Shame they're not doing the songs. I kinda wanted to hear what they'd do. Especially if they redid the live-action ones for Sam.

Strange how knowledge of casts actually get me into buying a series...
Old 2007-12-10, 01:28   Link #52
The Timotei Teller
Hot under these lights...

I have confidence in Wendee. She'll definitely be able to pull off the quirkiness. We'll just have to see if she can pull off the sleepy, childish attitude.
Old 2007-12-10, 21:30   Link #53
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

This is gonna be one hell of an english dub.
Old 2007-12-11, 10:11   Link #54
Hammy
slice of life otaku

Wendee Lee doing Konata????

this seals the fact that i am not going to even listen to a millisecond of the dub
Old 2007-12-12, 12:43   Link #55
aldw

I'd listen to the dub before making any judgments, just hoping that the ones in charge gave a d@mn enough to care about quality performance.
Old 2007-12-12, 14:28   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I always give a dub a chance... simply because if they get it right it expands the audience willing to give a series a shot. I'm just usually disappointed because it ends up sounding like people locked in separate rooms in a studio reading their lines for the first time. O wait.....
Old 2007-12-13, 15:17   Link #57
Midonin
Last Engage

At least Wendee Lee as both Konata and Haruhi keeps all the Haruhi jokes still working on some dub level. Some of the smaller throwaways (such as Konata getting the Galaxy Angel CD in 23), still are "Aya Hirano-level" only, though.
Old 2007-12-14, 13:04   Link #58
JakeC

I've already seen the first ten episodes in japanese, and when they are dubbed they don't really feel origanal either.

Last edited by JakeC; 2007-12-15 at 17:09.
Old 2007-12-14, 21:22   Link #59
JustInn14
moo

This is going to be bizzare. lolz. Let's hope they don't sound like stale, generic, High-School-girls-on-Helium. :-P
Old 2007-12-18, 15:28   Link #60
Rookie103

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
This is going to be bizzare. lolz. Let's hope they don't sound like stale, generic, High-School-girls-on-Helium. :-P
Exactly, it will downgrade the experince.
Closed Thread