AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-10-19, 20:03   Link #1
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Fall 2011 General Impressions Thread: Post your opinion and grade

Well, Fall has come up with quite a few titles of interest, so once again I summon the denizens of Animesuki to share their initial thoughts and impressions on this season and to update them if anything interesting changes.

Initially, I had planned to create an initial and final impressions thread for each season, but they got mixed up last time. So whatever, anything regarding any show that is airing this fall can be discussed and updated; when the time comes you can update with your final thoughts as well.

The intention of the thread is mostly to discuss what's hot and new, but any thoughts on carryovers from previous seasons may be brought up, but do make sure you are talking about the most recent episodes (don't come here to rant about Naruto fillers from last year, for example)

Because it is still early, it may be a good idea to express grades in terms of keep/drop/stall if you're unwilling to give a rating at this point, or something like that. I'm more interested in which new shows are your priorities.

Previous formats went something like this, but obviously you are free to express your thoughts however you want; Your rating can be in terms of letter grades, numerical ratings, facepalms, Minkofaces etc. Or maybe you don't believe in grades.

Name of Series:
Episodes Watched:
Rating:
Comments:
Status (Keep/drop/stall):

Also, I would ask that any specifics be kept in spoiler tags, please.

Nobody will arrest you for violating any formats or anything so post whatever thoughts and try not to comment on other people too much.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 20:17   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
And I was just thinking of last season's thread the other day, too. Thanks for jumping on this Archon.

For me I divide the series thus far into 4 different sections; each section's contents is listed in order of preference as well.

A List [Those I am avidly following]

Tamayura Hitotose (absolute favorite of the season)
Mirai Nikki (an excellent adaptation of the manga)
The iDOLM@STER (continued "stupendousness"! - carryover from last season)

B List [Those I am following, but not avidly]

Chihayafuru (biggest surprise of the season for me)
Towa no Quon (reminds me of the X-men back in the early 80's for some reason)
Guilty Crown (a strong beginning for me - but still waiting for other eps)
Morita-san wa Makuchi S2 (much more interesting now that it has new material)
Busou Shinku: Moon Angel (wish more eps would show up) - carryover from last season

C List [Those I am still undecided whether or not to commit to following]

Copihan (still not sure what it is about after 5 eps )
C3 Cube x Cursed x Curious (reminds me of the good and bad of "Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka" - is close to the B List)
Boku wa Tomodachi (am still on the fence with this one)
Mashiro-iro Symphony (unexpectedly good - is close to the B List)
Un-go (Very unsure after ep 1)

D List [Those I have tried and dropped - no order of preference in this section btw]

Ben-To
Maken-ki
Working 2
Ika Musume 2

For some reason the only "comedy" that made the cut for me this season was Morita-san wa Mukuchi S2....

The surprises for me this season are Chihayafuru, Mashiro-iro Symphony and Towa no Quon.
Old 2011-10-19, 20:32   Link #3
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Guess I might as well get the ball rolling

Name of Series: Phi Brain: Gods Puzzle
Episodes Watched: 3
Rating: C+
Comments: This is a weird show. It's good that it doesn't seem to take it's premise all that seriously at all, and the whole puzzle solving thing is pretty interesting (literally everything in this universe revolves around puzzles kind of like Professor Layton), but it really could use some fleshings out of the POG member of the weeks motives as well as why puzzles are so ridiculously popular in the show.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep for now

Names of Series: Chihayafuru
Episodes Watched: 2
Rating: A-
Comments: The big surprise of the season for me. Often times I find shojo material a little preachy and like it's just trying to be highbrow, but this show holds very few pretensions and is more about that whole Japanese belief in following ones dreams and having very human and well written character interactions. There's something very sincere about this show that's almost certain to keep me coming back week after week.

Name of Series: Persona 4
Rating: C
Comments: Par for the course where RPG adaptations are concerned. I don't think it does anything better or worse than your average RPG adaptations, it's simply that RPG's just don't really translate well to anime. I'd also rather play the game cause I love Shin Megami Tensei games.

Name of Series: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Rating: B-
Comments: Surprisingly funny given how quickly this show could have lost my interest. The fact that this show doesn't treat it's female characters like untouchable idols and indicates that it is in fact okay and encouraged to laugh at they incredibly awful personalities and inability to work as a unit is probably what saves this show. If the budget keeps up and the material stays funny and creative then I can easily see myself finishing this.

Names of Series: Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
Comments: I had little doubts about really enjoying Gundam Age so it comes as no surprise that that's exactly what happens. Gundam Age sets up it's story and main character quite well in just 2 episodes and a lot has already happened considering that short amount of time. Really hasn't been a moment where I haven't enjoyed watching this show so far and it also helps that the production values are what I've come to expect from Gundam. If it weren't for Last Exile this would probably also have my favorite soundtrack of the season so far, but competition is steep.

Names of Series: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
Comments: The start is slow and some of the fanservice seasons can be really drawn out, but I'm already liking all of the characters but for two and when the real plot kicks in I'm sure I'll be liking the complex plotline that appears to be just over the Horizon. Pun probably intended. Production values are where I'd expect them to be for a season this competitive on that front as well.

Name of Series: Fate/Zero
Comments: Another show with a bit of a slow start. We're still firmly in what I'd label a planning and strategy phase where we are being introduced to some of the main characters and their motivations. Of course the production values are up to the standard of the other big shows this season. I'm sure I'd be getting quite a bit more out of this if I were a hardcore Type Moon fan, but the fact that I'm still enjoying it regardless bodes well for the arcs to come.

Name of Series: Last Exile -Ginyoku no Fam-
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: Too Early
Comments: Another good start among the group of shows I'm looking forward to this season. Some friends have expressed concern about the character types being geared towards modern sensibilities (which I've also noted), but I can't say I'm worried about any character being annoying really except maybe for one. Soundtrack is stellar, but it also borrows a bit from it's predecessor as well. I'm sure there will be plenty of new themes already and once they start rolling out those steam rifles I'll be in my glory.

Name of Series: C³
Rating: D-
Comments: Just fails at being interesting on any front for me. Neither the plot, characters or visuals and music is in any gripping and even the main hook isn't enough to save my interest in this show. If I could find one thing I felt was above average in the show it would be Yukari Tamura's voice acting. At this point I'm pretty convinced that casting her in a role is never a bad idea.

Names of Series: Mirai Nikki
Rating: D+
Comments: Interesting premise with shoddy execution. The pacing in this show is just all over the place and the production values leave possibly the most to be desired of any show I watched more than a couple episodes of this season. I don't understand this need to rush with 20+ episodes available, but it's just killing the show right now and even the gratuitous violence isn't doing anything for me. To be blunt it just reminds me of one of those bad 80's OVA's like M.D Geist, where the storytelling is barely coherent, you can't quite be sure what's going on because of choppy editing and the characters are all ridiculous extremes of stereotypes. That said I'm ready to at least put this on hold for a bit to see if it sorts itself out at all.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 21:23   Link #4
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Shows I've Dropped

Name: C3
Rating: 4/10
Comments: It takes a lot for me to ignore rampant panty shots. For a few minutes I almost swallowed the line that the cutsey fanservice was a troll, but it's now obvious that it is very much a part of the show. Had it stayed dark and depressing, I could probably have ignored episode one.

Name: Kimi to Boku
Comments: I could feel my penis turning into a vagina just watching episode one.

Name: Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
Rating: 3/10
Comments: I knew it was stupid from the get go, but thought maybe there'd be some brainless action sequences one could enjoy, but episode one seems to have been it for now. By episode three, I realized it's an eroge.

Name: Persona 4 The Animation
Comments: As an oldschool Mega Ten fan, I've thought the Persona franchise has taken a turn for the worse when it decided to become a half-baked dating sim, so I have a pretty negative view of Persona 4 to begin with. I gave it a shot on the off-chance it would try to be different from the game. Bad animation/aesthetics (as bad as Trinity Soul was, at least it looked fabulous), and a too faithful adherence to a game I hated meant this was never going to stand a chance in my (not your), eyes.

Name: Phi Brain
Comments: I probably would have enjoyed this if I was six years old.

Name: Tamayura: Hitotose
Rating: 6/10
Comments: I realize the term "moe-blob" is overused these days, but despite solid production values, I just don't have it in me to watch another moe-blob.

Shows I'm Still Watching:

Name: Ben-To
Rating: 7/10
Comments: This show is so stupid that it's come through the other side of stupid into the zone of lol. Which is enough to keep me watching.

Name: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Rating: 8/10
Comments: Tsundere girls are always worth watching while they're still tsun, before they become cloyingly dere.

Name: Chihayafura
Comments: It's josei, and fairly predictable josei at that, but I have a soft spot for josei. If I was a virgin josei watcher/reader, it'd likely get a higher score, but in my old age and cynicism, a 7 is about the best I can give it.

Name: Fate/Zero
Rating: 10/10
Comments: I almost didn't watch this, as I thought Fate/Stay Night was about as good as drinking cat poop through a straw, but then I heard Urobuchi Gen wrote this, and Urobachi Gen does not disappoint. What a great year that we get treated to two Gen stories (Madoka and now Zero). If he and Kenji Kamiyama got together, I think I would wet myself.

Name: Guilty Crown
Comments: Incredibly generic shonen show that has far too much Code Geass vibes for a show that is missing the most important vibe of all (Lelouch). Yet, there are 15 seconds among the 23 minutes of episode one that hint that there may be something worth watching below the superficial outer layer.

Name: Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere
Comments: The only reason this show doesn't get a one is because Sensei is great. The only reason the show hasn't been dropped is because the story isn't supposed to start until episode four. I'll be giving it two more episodes to see if there is anything redeemable here. I have to believe those 5800 pages in the light novels weren't all pointless fanservice...right?

Name: Last Exile ~Fam of the Silver Wing~
Rating: 9/10
Comments: Gorgeous visuals shows us Gonzo hasn't lost its touch. A strong lead in Fam means I won't have to spend half a season wanting to slap Claus. The Last Exile is one of my all time favorite shows, and while its successor doesn't seem to be trying to be the same show, I'm fine with that. Even though I've scored this less than Fate/Zero, this is the show that I am most interested in this season.

Name: Mirai-Nikki
Comments: I suspect the tons of manga readers (they're like 95% of the posters in the anime thread) in this show's thread have raised my expectations to unrealistic levels, hence a feeling of disappointment I've had concerning what I've seen so far. I'll keep watching for the promise of "insane shit gonna' happen", but so far, color me not-so-impressed.

Name: Mobile Suit Gundam Age
Comments: I'm not a fan of how they decided to pander to a younger audience (oh how I miss the Tomino days), but I'm sure I'll get over it eventually. For now, I've taken a light-hearted approach to the newest installment in a franchise I've watched over nearly my entire life. My expectations being as low as they are just means a higher chance I could be pleasantly surprised down the road, right?

Name: Shakugan no Shana III (Final)
Comments: I really don't have a clue what's going on as I can't remember season two at all, and haven't found the time to marathon it again, but it's nice not to see Yuuji (though I'm sure that won't last).

Name: Shinryaku!? Ika Musume
Episodes Watched: 4
Comments: I found the first season cutely humorous, but I guess I've just had my fill of cutely humorous as I've found most of the skits in the second season old and boring. I'd probably be better served shelving this and coming back when the first season is just a faint memory.

Name: Un-Go
Comments: Solid first episode. Nothing particularly fantastic, but as the first BONES show in several years that hasn't made me want to shoot myself, this is high praise really. Whether I increase or decrease my score will likely depend on if it has an overarching story or goes the route of episodic mystery. I am hoping for the former.

Name: Working'!!
Comments: More of the same from the first season, but unlike Isume, I have obviously not grown tired of the humor as I am finding as funny as ever. Plus, Yamada! If I ever have a daughter (lol, kill me now), I hope she turns out like Yamada.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 03:18   Link #5
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

While Autumn has been my favorite season but I don't watch many anime of this year's Autumn. Maybe I were too busy watching earlier shows and will pick this season's releases later.

Name of Series: Chihayafuru
Comments: While it is had lowest priority in my watch list but it turned out pretty good and in fact I underestimated it. Maybe because it is under shoujo/josei genre makes me to think like that. However I was fooled, in good way since it is more like Hikaru no Go than anything else but with Karuta instead of Go. Will watch episode 2 and 3 if I had enough time to kill.

Rating: 5/10
Comments: Maybe I put too many hope on this one. The only reason I watching it is the Japanese voice-acting. Not like I hated it but It just rather inferior to its game. However I still can't wait for Rise and Naoto's appearence in later episodes.

Name of Series: Kimi to Boku
Comments: Slice-of-life for girls? I pass. Feel free to argue with me if you disagree.

Name of Series: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
Comments: Visual-wise, this is the best what this season can offer. The plot moves slow but maybe we still not in important part yet. Sunrise never disappoint me in making good-looking anime(yes I'm looking at you Code Geass R2) and so does this show too. I hope its getting better in later episodes.

Name of Series: Mashiro-iro Symphony
Comments: I still asking myself why I enjoying this one little bit more than the Horizon but maybe because I'm a big fan of seinen romance shows like Clannad, Amagami SS and this one. Characer designs also good too, not too small and not too big(I'm looking at you Horizon) and some of the male characters are quite likable too. However there still too may things yet to be explained like the purple-haired girl for example.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 03:19   Link #6
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Name: Ben-To
Episodes seen: 2
Rating 8/10
Comments: This show is all about legs, and the girls are sporting quite a few delicious ones – and I don't even have a leg fetish.

Name: Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Episodes seen: 1
Comment: Likable characters, interesting premise.

Name:
Episodes seen: 3
Comment: Stunning visuals, Fear is hot, both clothed and naked (even though she's perhaps the most dangerous item known to man) and though the pacing looks a bit fast, everything else works out quite well.

Name: Chihayafurup
Comment: Quite the surprise hit for me so far. Time will tell if it stays that way.

Name: Kimi to Boku
Comment: Take any high school girl anime and replace it with boys, that's pretty much what sums up this show. It's not bad, but not overly brilliant either.

Name: Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
Rating: Way down there
Comment: Serious waste of time. Probably the overrated show for this season.

Name: Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
Rating 8/10
Comment: First episode was very impressive, and the second episode was quite funny.

Name: Maken-Ki!
Rating: too low
Comment: If this show is meant to be Fetish Fuel, it's not doing its job well (for me at least). Only mildly funny and most has been done better in other similar shows.

Name: Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers
Comment: Beautiful art/animation, likable characters and I'm sure I could name more if I tried

Name: Mirai Nikki
Rating 9/10
Comment: The only thing that will take some getting used to is the main guy's voice. Other than that, this show looks like it will be a ton of fun.

Name: Morita-san wa Mukuchi 2
Rating 7/10
Comment: Same stuff from season 1, but nothing too terrible.
Status: Keep. I can easily miss 3 minutes of my life in the worst case

Name: Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle
Rating 8/10
Comment: Nice twist on the typical Shounen hero. Plus, his female comrade is actually useful (not to mention pretty).

Name: Shakugan no Shana III (Final)
Comment: As a Shana-fan, J.C.Staff has yet to disappoint me with this new season. Story is a bit confusing, but that will most likely cleared up as time goes by.

Name: Shinryaku!? Ika Musume
Rating 9/10
Comment: Not much has changed since last season. Only nitpick: the OP takes some getting used to (first season's OP wad far more addictive and catchy).

Name: Tamayura: Hitotose
Rating 7/10
Comment: I think watching the OVA first will help make more sense of this show, though it looked okay nonetheless.

Name: The iDOLM@STER
Episodes seen: 6
Rating N/A
Comment: Carry-over from last season. I got lazy and stopped watching this after my preferred subber went on a small hiatus after episode 6. Will give it a proper rating once I've caught up

Name: UN-GO
Episode seen: 1
Rating 8/10
Comment: Interesting first episode. Mystery was quite easy to solve, even if you didn't pay attention, but this was probably intentional to introduce the characters.

Name: Working'!!
Comment: I missed this show, which seems to be just as good, if not better than season 1
Old 2011-10-20, 05:00   Link #7
Kagayaki

All My Dreams Are Coming True:

Fate/Zero: As an LN reader watching a faithful adaptation, I already know exactly what's going to happen scene by scene. That doesn't stop me from loving every second of it as I rewatch each episode for the 3rd time. This proves that either Fate/Zero is mankind's greatest creation or I am hopelessly biased towards Type-Moon+Urobuchi+Ufotable+Kajiura and you can safely ignore my mindless blabbering. Or perhaps some combination of the two. You decide.

Good Stuff:

Ika Musume S2: More of the same goodness from S1. Some say it's lost its touch, but I don't think so. Comedy execution is one of the most subjective things out there anyways. That Engrish skit was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time, even though most of the time I was laughing at the show rather than with it.

Mirai Nikki: This was high on my list of manga I hoped would get anime adaptations. Critics of the manga claim the plot has more holes than swiss cheese. It's debatable how true that is, and I don't count plot inconsistency as an unforgivable sin. The plot is exciting enough, and the real heart of this story is in its characters and how they react in gripping and thought-provoking ways to the absurd plotline. I'm not sold on the direction and animation quality of the adaptation though.

Ever So Slightly Above Average:

Haganai: Sena and Yozora are entertaining, particularly when they fail (or make each other fail) at life. Going deeper into the "what does it mean to be friends" thing would be so sappy it would be just up my alley, although I know better than to expect anything that good from a series like this.

Working S2: I like this a little better than S1 so far (I thought S1 was average).
Plus: All the characters are amusing, particularly Yamada.
Minus: Including Inami (who is not amusing), some characters are one-trick-ponies.

Meh:

ben-to: This show is remarkable because it has an unusual premise and makes it work fairly well. Other than that, it seems pretty average (read:uninteresting) so far. The fanservice is a bit hamfisted.

C3:
Super Plus: Yukari Tamura
Plus: Crazy people, and cool CG lighting. Action sequences are ok.
Minus: Everything else about this is horrible.
Super Minus: Anytime when Yukari Tamura could be talking and is not (if she was voicing all the characters, this would be a lock for Anime of the Year).

Dropped:

Horizon: I'm a sucker for sufficiently advanced technology and sci-fi/fantasy mixes, and this has and enough visual inventiveness (or at least it has borrowed visual themes from the right combination of sources) to make me at least curious despite the quagmire of a plot. I still have no idea what the hell is going on here, so I'm going to wait and watch the reactions to this one before undertaking the small-scale research project of scaling the textwalls of the wiki and deciphering the setting.

Persona 4: The show isn't interactive like the game, but they didn't give the main character enough personality to move from player-avatar to a dramatically interesting character. I can't bring myself to care about him. This is certainly not unwatchable, but it's overshadowed by the other shows airing this season. The first episode, where they tried to cram 2 hours of gameplay into one episode was a sign of bad things to come.

Majikoi:
Ep 1: What is this? It's actually kind of cool.
Ep 2: NOPE NOPE NOPE DROPPED
I actually tried watching episode 2 a second time (this time at twice the legal BAC for watching anime) and still couldn't get through it.

I've been meaning to check out Last Exile and Chihayafuru. We'll see if I ever get around to that.

Last edited by Kagayaki; 2011-10-20 at 05:14.
Kagayaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 05:25   Link #8
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Currently Watching:

Ben-To: 8/10

The show and premise is unique because I'm a college student and getting low priced items at grocery stores are a huge battle for me, and the show puts a interesting twist on that, which I like it. The characters are weird and the senpai with the combat boots is hot, so that's a win in my book.

Verdict: Continuing

Working 2: 8/10

Glad to see the quirky staff are back for a wacky and I'm sure unforgettable sequel. I'm still loving the chemistry between the Souta the lolicon main character and the androphobic girl Inami-chan. Lots of weird and funny moments like the first season, and more laughs on the way.

C3: 7/10

Funny, cute, and unique. Fear is absolutely adorable, and I really like the chemistry that Fear brings between the main dude, the childhood friend which sets up really hilarious but predictable outcomes.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukanai
: 9/10

Like the novels, the anime is exactly as I expected it to be. Maria Inoue as Yozora and Kanae Itou as Sena are a great treat for the ears. Funny, awesome, and weird like the novels, BokuTomo I'm sure will not disappoint from now until the end of its airing.

Mashiro-iro Symphony: The Color of Lovers: 8/10

This anime is interest because it's one of those anime that starts in fall or close to winter, instead of spring or summer like most of the other ones do. I really like how the main guy has to adjust to a school with weird rules and understandings (which was once an all girls schools) and how he'll try to earn the trust of the main girl who's making life at school for him difficult and the opposite sex. It'll be interesting to see how him, other males, and unlikely female allies will try to get both sexes to come to a mutual understanding and make school life for them a fun, emotional, and memorable experience.

Persona 4: 8/10

I haven't played the games, but the anime has got me interested in the series. Supernatural murders, superpowers/familiars, this anime has got me hooked. It'll be interesting to see how the murder mystery will twist and turn and what obstacles the main characters have to overcome in order to survive.

Un-Go: 6/10

The mystery on the first episode was easy, the main character doesn't really interest but his partner does.

Verdict: Still pending

Fate/Zero: 9/10

Like Stay/Night the prequel has so far not disappointed me. I haven't finished reading the novels yet, but it's great to see Saber again in all her glory (the black suit she wore in the opening looked so boss). I'm interested to see how Shiro's father Kiritsugu battle will turn out and how it'll lead into Stay/Night. Great cast of characters, promising action, and an epic plot.

Shakugan no Shana III: 9/10

Great to see that the original cast has returned. This season looks to be one hell of a thrill ride with more surprises and twists coming. I haven't read the Shana novels, but I'm sure during this final season hearts and ideals will be broken and love will also be tested. The one thing that ticked me off this season is that they didn't bring back Mami Kawada to sing the opening or the ending.

Guilty Crown: 9/10

The story and the plot is extremely promising. Main character suffers a trauma which results in his cowardice nature, gets involved with a singer he's familiar with and gains I'm sure to be a awesome power from her. This in other words: this anime shows promise.

Those are the ones I'm currently watching and have rated. I'm waiting for Maken-ki to be fully uncensored and the others like Mirai Nikki (I read the manga and enjoyed it), and Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon, I'm still having second thoughts about it. Until then I'll just continue with what I've got, for now.

Last edited by Kirito; 2011-12-23 at 20:05.
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 13:14   Link #9
tezu

Comments: I haven't played the game, but the first 3 episodes felt rather lacklustre (characters are confronted with their weaknesses, refuse to admit them but accept them in a crucial moment. Developments like that often recur in fiction, but the execution in P4 feels seriously uninspired). Episode 4 got a little better. Besides I'm a little bothered by the protag's "personality" (or lack thereof).
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep...for now

Name of Series: Tamayura
Comments: Very relaxing atmosphere, a good (but not great) healing anime.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep, definitely

Name of Series: Ben-To
Comments: Don't enjoy the fanservice very much, but the plot is just TOO unique not to like
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep

Last edited by tezu; 2011-10-29 at 17:42.
tezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 20:28   Link #10
Echoes

Let's go in reverse order, from least to most intriguing.

Not very compelling

Bakuman II.
I'm just stuck with this one. I watched the entire first season, and I'll see it through to the end. The story-telling is good, but the characters range from uninteresting to just plain unlikeable. The pacing is a bit slow too, but the cardinal sin of this anime lies with its horrible characters.

Kimi to Boku.
I was mildly optimistic about this one, and I still am, but the first three episodes have not been very exciting. There's a lulling effect at work here, and the entire cast (even the straight man who reacts with anger at everything) just put you to sleep. In addition, the emotional angles they're going for did not hit home with me. I have faith in this show still, and I do believe that within the next few episodes, this could pick up steam. So far though; not too great.

Ben-to.
It is pretty crazy. But it's not very exciting. I commend them for going with something bizarre and original for their premise, and for having a male lead whose characteristics don't fit into the prepackaged stereotypes. (In that he's sort of lustful, but not overtly so.) However, it's just not that funny, and only around half the cast is interesting. But, there are some absolutely fantastic voice actresses involved in this one, so I'm sticking with it.

Maken-Ki!
Incredibly stupid. One awesome character made it worth a couple of episodes, but chances are I won't bother with this one. Oversized breasts and the usual stuff you expect from a low-grade harem.

No strong feelings one way or the other

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon.
This one is all over the map. Awesome character designs (ridiculous breast-sizes not withstanding), what looks like a rich setting and backstory and stupendous voice acting. On the flip side, there's a bunch of goofy-looking cast members, random boob and butt-grabbing and a sense of silliness to the whole thing that sort of disappointed me. I'm having fun with this one, don't get me wrong; I actually enjoy the series a lot. The soundtrack is so overwhelming and crazy, it's awesome to listen to. This show could go places, but as it stands, it's yet to make that leap from alright to good.

Oh, and yeah, amazing butts.

Persona 4.
All I can say about this one is that the pace is off the chart. I think I'd rather go play the game, but knowing that I probably never will, I'll give this one a chance. The character designs are incredibly slick, and I enjoy the crazy scenes at the beginning of each episode. The plot is not pulling me in yet, but that might change; I love a good mystery.

Good, enjoyable

CubexCursedxCurious.
An odd combination of blood-lust and comedy. Tamura Yukari and her character, Fear, carries this show. Her character is incredibly entertaining, and a joy to both listen to and watch. I'm not expecting great things, but I'm having fun so far.

Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
This is just good fun. Nothing great, and the episodes vary in quality, but I found this genuinely funny when it was at its best. Yuko Goto does an amazing job here, and the show looks very nice and pleasant.

Tamayura Hitotose
This is just nice. At this point, I slightly prefer the OVA over the series, but this is innocent, calming wholesomeness. No complaints.

Really good

Chihayafuru
Solid storytelling, a pace that is just right, and multifaceted characters. Chihaya is just lovable, and while the game is only moderately interesting, this is a definite keeper. The art-style is gorgeous as well.

Mirai Nikki

A serious series without comic relief and with a cool idea that is put to good use. Sold.

Mashiro-iro Symphony
An absolute joy to watch, and a surprise hit. The first episode was a work of art, the characters are great, and the visuals are simply lovely. A pure joy to watch, and my undisputed winner for the most beautiful designs this season.

Fantastic

Working!! II
The second season is just as good as the first, and to me, that's an incredibly high standard. Working has slick writing, a diverse cast of characters with immense chemistry, smooth visuals and hilarious voice-acting. I've no complaints.

Shinryaku!? Ika Musume
Once again, this is the triumphant return of a wonderful comedy series. I feel like the first season was just a tiny smidgen funnier, but this is still incredible. One of the best comedies of the last few years. Ika is a fantastic character, and the supporting cast, while secondary characters for sure, add a lot to the show. The sketches are often simple in nature, but so competently conceived and executed that you can't help but laugh, smile and fall completely for the seaborne invader.

I also watched the first episode of both Fate/Zero and Shakugan no Shana III. They were fantastic, but I'm not going to torture myself by watching them on a weekly basis. I'll wait until they're done and watch them at my own leisure. I'm sure they would join Ika and Working as the rightful kings of the season if I did, though. ^^
Old 2011-10-20, 22:25   Link #11
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Comments:
Very strong showing out of a genre I didn't care much for. As per most anime that deals with games, the focus is not on the game itself, but the interaction between the characters. As a result, the 3 leads become pretty fleshed out through the emotions felt in the flashblack. I'm not a hugest fan of the character designs, but it works. Mostly survives off the very amazing female lead who acts energetic, kind, and mature much like a certain Ohana Matsumae from Hana saku Iroha

Name of Series: Guilty Crown
Rating: B
Comments:
Really really good production values and great character designs. However, sometimes the fanservice is jarring and other things make me feel it's style over substance. That being said, this is such a great actionfest that you can just sit back and relax, like the anime version of a blockbuster series. I hope for more Ghost in the Shell-like stuff

Name of Series: Gundam Age
Comments:
Although the series hasn't done too much yet, it did a pretty wonderful job at setting them up for better things. The main interest here is the fairly moe and exciting duo of Flit (change your name when you grow up!) and Emily, who have excellent chemistry. Age also has a basic but properly executed storyline, which gives it a good edge in today's anime world which seems to throw around a lot of gimmick, tossing me into middle of nowhere. Nope, they actually know how to properly form a narrative and not drag you along. Pace is relaxing and effective. Also, one of the best OPs of the season.

Comments:
On the other end of the spectrum lies Persona 4, which seems to have the pace of a rat on crack. Naturally I wasn't pleased, as gags that should be funny aren't, and there's no buildup to crap. Guy fighting the incarnation of his own emo is not the thing I want to watch. There's just not much of anything to really grasp on or to entertain
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall

Name of Series: Shakugan no Shana III
Rating: C-
Comments:
Almost as bad is Shakugan no Shana III, but at least the buildup existed here. Unfortunately the manner of execution is so hamfisted that none of the events have any impact, though this isn't really much a problem with this incarnation as it is with the franchise's tendency to tease us with character growth but then run in circles, leading you to think that the cast is emotionally retarded. Plus they didn't resolve the most annoying thing about the series (romance) Without a doubt this will get better as events start to be revealed, but currently, this doesn't really do much for me.

Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep, if only for Shana, Margery Daw, and Wilhelmina. Only their presence keeps me from tossing this in the trash.

Name of Series: Hunter x Hunter
Comments:
It's been a long while since I've seen good shounen. I've never seen the original, but I do know the author did Yu Yu Hakusho, and he's never failed with creating epicaly awesome male heroes. Hunter x Hunter is no exception, as all the cast manages to be colorful, likable, and full of badassery. I would think Gon would annoy me with that spiky hair, but my fears were put away; music is great too. I would complain about the voices a bit, but they're not too horrid. Entertains on a basic level and more.

Name of Series: Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere
Rating: N/A
Comments:
Not a bad setup, though those bewbs can be a bit jarring. The opener wasn't bad, setting everything up for yet another colorful cast. This one is simply put aside due to time constraints, but I hope to catch up on this if I receive word this heats up. Good fanservice can allow for another Maji de Watashi, otherwise I hope it comes up with a decent plot.

Name of Series: Maken-Ki!
Rating: D-
Comments:
Now this is bad fanservice. Did they even try? Not much to say here except there's much better shows to look for these needs.
Status (Keep/drop/stall):

Name of Series: C cubed
Comments:
This one actually has good fanservice in parts, it's unfortunate this anime is more boring than flies flying around shit. Yukarin is a good VA, but not even she can save us from these insanely dull characters and plot. Oh sure, there's a twist (did the title not tell you there wouldn't be?), but it's also just as retarded. At least it's not as insulting as Maken-Ki, but I wasn't even able towatch it for so good its bad value.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Drop

Name of Series: Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai
Rating: C+
Comments:
Yet another shameless fanservice series, however, this one doesn't pretend to be anything else and runs away with it. Pity it had to be burdened by low animation and censorship. But on the other hand, there's plenty of silly antics and great character designs to go along with it. Voices are decent too, and Yukie is definitely really hot with an attractive personality. No masterpiece, but it does what it's supposed to do. I wish they didn't dump us into the plot like this though

Name of Series: Ben-to
Comments:
Fine series, and the best of the slapstick/fanservice crew this season. It really knows how to push your buttons with the silly action and great camera shots. The character designs aren't as hawt as in Maji, but they sure know how to make things over the top. The main character is hilarious too, but I wonder if this series can really hold its own for its entire run; it would seem it'd get tiresome after a point. Thus far, it serves as a great screw around series
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep!

Comments:
Much anticipated, Fate/Stay night fans can get an adaptation not stained by the shit covered hands of DEEN. The decent art and animation are a huge improvement over the original series, and the script seems to be well worked out. We are introduced to a horde of epic characters, and some familiar faces show up. When this series heats up, it will be something to watch. I would say the soundtrack is a bit underwhelming considering the names involved (OP is good, but peters out, ED is fairly bad). On the other hand I wonder if we'll hear "Emiya" remixed. This series leaves you wanting for more, now to see if it'll deliver

Name of Series: Last Exile: Fam
Rating: N/A
Comments:
It's really hard to say at this point whether this series will be great; a few questionable more fanservicey/moe moments showed up. I adored the original for staying away from these convinces, however season 2 still has a rocking soundtrack, nice backgrounds. I will be hoping for great action with this, and the return of certain characters is highly anticipated.

Comments:
Wait, a show about a group of terrible people hating on each other? How can that be fun. Well, we're supposed to laugh at how dysfunctional they are; they don't have friends for a reason. My hopes are for them to actually learn some things about other people, though thus far the show has been an excellent mix of comedy, references, and occasional hawt fanservice. Much better than I would have thought. But that OP is god awful...

Name of Series: Mirai Nikki
Comments:
Meh, I understand this series is supposed to be a massive troll with violence and yandere lulz, which drew me into episode 1, with some concepts of psychological horror but there's been too much shit thrown around, with poor production values and lolwut faces. Yuno looks good, but I'm not really interested. And the lead, oh no, worthless guy that girl has random love of! Well, it makes more sense here, but it doesn't make me care anymore. Not bad, but rather questionable execution and pacing.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-10-20 at 22:56.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 23:07   Link #12
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Comments:
I went in expecting to laugh at this one, but ended up finding myself laughing with it. It is at least my impression that the seriousness of the bento battles are all part of the joke, and one I find quite funny. I was instantly reminded of Fight Club while watching the first episode and the comparison amused me.

Comments:
Not a huge fan so far despite usually enjoying the slice of life genre. I can't get past the sillyness of taking a card game I've always associated as a "family" game so seriously. Similar to Prince of Tennis in the fact that the over enthusiasm makes no sense... Though at least in PoT I got quite a few moments of laughter out of it. I accept that comparing my reaction to others, I may be missing the point. It is meant to be more of a social commentary about bullying, but I'm yet to really feel that message yet.

Comments:
Loving it so far - a thousand times better an adaption than Fate/Stay Night was by (lol) Deen. I won't go on because it'll just be fanboying, but yeah, favourite of the season.

Comments:
I can see the comparisons to Code Geass but I'm hardly seeing it as a clone from the first episode. The main character is completely different character from Lelouch, and considering how much Lelouch's nature pushed the atmosphere and progression of Code Geass, I hardly see Guilty Crown going the same way. Enjoyed the first episode.

Comments:
First episode sent me into a frothing rage. Terrible pacing at the level I'd expect from an amatuer fanfiction. I couldn't give a crap about the bad animation, hence why I enjoyed the second episode a lot more. The animation was worse, but the pacing picked up a lot. Lucky for it, otherwise it would have gone straight into my dropped list. Now it's just under strict probation.

Comments:
Was expecting a crappy harem, but I got a funny, rather well drawn harem instead. Really enjoyed the first two episodes, and I think I've fallen in love with Sena. My guilty pleasure of the season.

Still got a few more to watch, will edit in my views on those as I watch them.
Old 2011-10-21, 10:45   Link #13
justsomeguy

There are way too many shows this season, and to make matters worse, most are 2-cour so there's no room for new shows next season.

Shana III: I admit that I did not watch II attentively. But since this season is the last, and begins right in the middle with Yuuji already gone, I will watch just to see the end.
8/10 so far.

Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai: I'm still watching, and trying to understand why people like this crap. Worst OP of the shows I'm following, too.
7/10 for now, but will likely go down.

Guilty Crown: I don't understand why people are criticizing this show for lack of originality or deepness when we're only two episodes in. Even if those never show up, this will still be a good action show.
8/10 so far, but can go anywhere depending on how the plot turns out.

Persona 4: A questionable first episode that really needed to be double-length, but it's getting better by the episode.
8/10 so far, if it keeps improving might get 9/10 by the end.

Gundam AGE: It's Gundam, hell yeah! Looking past the kiddy character designs and the generic main mecha, the plot looks like it might go deeper than expected with some really shady business going on.
9/10 so far.

Fate/Zero: This show took the exact opposite approach of P4, with a lot of talking and buildup before any action. Knowing through F/SN that this story will end badly for the characters keeps me watching.
8.5/10 so far.

C3: A bad first episode that did not remotely resemble what the show would turn out to be in the next couple, but since this belongs in the same genre as Kore wa Zombie and Itsuka Tenma, I'll keep watching to see which end of the spectrum it ends up at. Endless Story rocks.
8/10 so far.

Mashiro-iro Symphony: Hey, I enjoy watching h-game adaptations, but I've yet to see anything different about this one yet, other than the odd first episode. Love the ED, too.
8/10 so far.

Horizon: I read the background information. The drug-induced plot still doesn't make sense. The characters are fun to watch though. Still don't know if I'll follow this show.
7/10 for now.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 06:53   Link #14
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

Gee... I'm generous when it comes to grading though....

Rating: 9
Comments: Aside from the usual comments that it's similar to code geass... or it's Code Geass without Lelouch, I'm enjoying this series because of its art, animation and music. The action scenes are vivid and lively, there are scenes in episode 2 that made me go wow.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): KEEP

Name of Series: Tamayura ~Hitotose~
Comments: This is my "relaxing anime" for the season.

Name of Series: Fate Night
Rating: 10
Comments: This anime is getting interesting every episode... maybe I should just plainly say that I'm hooked to this anime.

Name of Series: Working'!!
Rating: 8
Comments: Uhh... Maya-san kudasai

Name of Series: C3
Rating: 7
Comments: Episode 2 and 3 bored me, somehow. But 4 is ok, I guess. I'm not too sure on this anime.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): KEEP for now

Name of Series:Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Rating: 8
Comments: Funny show. I really like Yozora and find her to be very very entertaining... It's like I'm seeing a female version of Hiruma Youichi.

Comments: I'm still feeling up this show, for now I'll rate it a 7. It's kinda interesting though. Haven't read the manga and don't plan to anytime soon.

Comments: This is a surprise. I watched it because I was bored during my off, and it turned out to be a pretty good anime. Maybe I'm just a sucker for sports anime but I really liked this anime from episode 1. Also, I never thought that Karuta is a sport. I always thought that it was a party game.

Comments: I was browsing through the comments on this anime... and found out that my comment is similar to most of them. It's really not bad... but I guess most people that would love this show are yaoi lovers.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Watching... for now

Name of Series: Bakuman
Comments: I always liked the story of the anime, and was one of the people who wished that it'll be an anime. And I'm not regretting it.

Name of Series: Shakugan no Shana 3 Final
Comments: Well... the first 3 episodes didn't excite me at all... sure it's a surprise finding out Yuji just went to the other side. But it just made me feel empty.... MORE HECATE PLEASE!!!!
Old 2011-10-24, 12:46   Link #15
klare

a bit too early for me to rate, so i will list my status and some feedback

Watching till finish
- Fate Zero - so far the best show for me this season
- Shana III - look forward to a strong finish
- Ika-Musume S2 - still funny
- Mirai Nikki - my surprise of the season
- Last Exile Fam - like it

Watching for now
- Gundam AGE - average first eps, getting better since then
- Guilty Crown - very good animations but weak characters
- Bento - like the idea so far

Want to try
- Working!! - watched S1
- Towa no Quon

Dropped
- Persona 4 - boring first eps
- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai - do not like it

Continue from previous seasons
- Mawaru Penguindrum - may be the best show of the year
- Beelzebub - not sure why still watching but i am...

fall suppose to be a strong season with many big franchises, so far it did not disappoint
Old 2011-10-24, 14:15   Link #16
kitten320

After taking better look on series, here is my opinion:

Name of Series: Bakuman 2
Comments: I didn't like first half of season 1 but second hald got better and so far this season looks good.

Rating: A
Comments: Just as for many others, it is a suprise of a season for me. I never planned to watch it, I checked 1st episode only out of boredom and now it is one of my faves of the season.

Rating: A
Comments: I never played the game and was dissapointed with F/SN so I didn't expect much from it but so far it is MUCH better that F/SN and it keeps me interested.

Comments: Afte all the praise I heard, I expected more. Good animation is not enough for me especially when I have Fate/Zero which also great animation and on top of it good story.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall (I barely ever drop anything but because of my huge list I might drop this one in the future)

Name of Series: Mawaru Penguindrum
Episodes Watched: 14
Comments: At first I have watched it only for penguins but it actually started to get good later and now I want to know how this madness will end.

Rating: B+
Comments: Didn't know that this kind of show would be airing, a positive surprise for me. If things will be more like episode 3 (more seriouse) it will be cool. Just please, no more random rockets from under a skirt.

Name of Series: Nurarihyon 2
Episodes Watched: 16
Comments: a good improvement in comparison to season 1

Comments: Another hyped series that got me dissapointed, but it has some things that I want to know.

Name of Series: Phi Brain
Comments: I was really excited for this one since I love puzzles but it is a biy of a downer. The new cast looks annoying =/ At least I can lear about some new puzzles and side heropine is actually useful
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep (at least for now)

Name of Series: Sekaiichi Hatsuoki 2
Comments: Nice yaoi series, liked season 1 so I'm expecting to see more good stuff in this one too. Actaully I'm hoping for more.

Name of Series: The iDolm@ster
Episodes Watched: 16
Comments: Was not impressed at first but after around episode 5 things started to get more fun. The real start for me was at the episode with Azusa in wedding dress. That's where solid episodes began.

Name of Series: Un-Go
Comments: Mysteries are way too easy for my taste but I'm hoping for bright future. I always liked detectives.
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Keep (for now)

Name of Series: Working!! 2
Comments: Really liked season 1 so I'm here to have my new dose of fun
Old 2011-10-25, 10:52   Link #17
Stealther

I never follow a show weekly, but at the start of each season I quite often check out the first 1-3 episodes of http://neregate.com/blog/wp-content/...1-Anime-v6.jpg to decide if I will watch it later or not (or if something gets a lot of hype after it's finished I'll check it out). This is my verdict so far:

Will (probably) watch
Ika Musume 2
Bakuman 2
Chihayafuru
Last Exile 2
Kimi to Boku.

Unsure (which I usually end up watching at some point):
Hunter X Hunter
Gundam AGE
Un-Go
Ben-To
Fate/Zero
Guilty Crown
Mirai Nikki
Tamayura

Dropped:
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon
Phi Brain
C3
and all the rest I haven't bothered to check because they don't interest me
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 11:44   Link #18
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

The long version

Short version - Order of worst to first
-----------------------------------------------

C3 - Not funny, not cute, not anything at all. Nanoha seiyuu sounds uncomfortable as hell as Fear to boot.

Horizon - Sunrise using 3 B-grade studios this season while they're making more Gundam Unicorn. It shows - character cast is too large, art is terribad, wasted several episodes just introducing them and doing nothing much during it except a terrible chase scene. And anything that explains the world setting during the ED sequence is just insulting. Seems intent on being hilariously bad - trolls may like it.

Maken-ki - Ecchi game adaptations are supposed to look good. It doesn't. But it will profit due to censorship = $$$ on DVD release.

Majikoi Samurai Girls - Ecchi shows are supposed to look good. It doesn't. But it will profit due to censorship = $$$ on DVD release.

Gundam AGE - As John Cena is to the WWE, Gundam AGE is to Gundam. i.e. Gundam gets the PG era treatment. This is a BAD thing!

Kimi to Boku - Putting fujioshi bait characters into a moe atmosphere just doesn't work.

Shana S3 - Terribly generic love triangle getting old. Get back to the Guzen aspect if you want the real fans to care at all.

Working S2 - More of the same and this is the cast from hell for me.

Hunter x Hunter remake - The 1999 version was call because it didn't succumb to generic shounen. This remake is as generic shounen as Pokemon.

Mashiroiro Symphony - Could have liked it if Manglobe didn't do such a horrendous job on the art. Or if the show wasn't slower than a snowflake.

Persona 4 - Sometimes an adaptation can be too faithful to the original. This is. And staff walkouts don't help the cause either.

Tamayura - The OVA was fun. This is anything but. All the interesting material and characters are gone. *sigh*

Ben-To - Not my style of humour, fanservice attempts are despicable, the class rep is the most unnecessarily violent character I've seen in ages.

Chibi Devi - Slightly amusing but not enough to keep watching. Beats Beelzebub at least.

Phi-Brain - A cool idea ruined by a pointlessly overly tsundere female lead and a dick of a prick of a cock of a walk of a male lead.

Guilty Crown - Good art, potentially interesting story that isn't properly carried by an insipid cast. Shu is too emo, Inori is a sex doll, Gai is a prick. Music not doing it for me. And how on earth is a shounen title in a noitaminA slot?!

Squid Girl S2 - More of the same with a worse OP theme. It's amusing but gets repetitive fast.

UN-GO - Very intriguing world setting and tyrannical dystopian scenario. But unless those characters are developed IMMEDIATELY because they havent been at all yet, this show will fail. (2 eps - 7/10)

Mirai Nikki - Best yandere of the year in Yuno. Intriguing story. Seeing Yuki in torment is fun and justifies him being a weak male lead. Third episode was very weak though. Don't waste time pretending Yuno could ever be remotely normal after what you established in the first two episodes! MORE KILLINGS! NOW! And more Norio Wakamoto rants! I want more of his delicious villanous tones!(3 eps - 7.5/10)

Fate/Zero - This is what a Type-Moon adaptation should always have been. Looks great, music is suitable, the animation is fluid, the characters are a great mix, particularly Saber, Rider and Irisviel. But Nasu's tendency to rant for ten years, particularly in the first Fate/Zero novel, along with Urobuchi's tendency to be a sick bastard (Episode 1, 14 minutes in - damn you, Urobuchi...) have hindered my ability to really enjoy this. Am hopeful once novel 2 material is animated, things really pick up. Even my friends who are Type-Moon hardcore loyalists are beginning to admit Nasu's rants are being too faithfully replicated. (4 eps - 7.5/10)

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai - For a show that admitted from the get-go it will have ecchi, a harem and never try to be something epic - it's actually been quite fun. It's been developing its characters well. It has a style of humour that fits the fandom and is genuinely funny. It looks pretty. It's avoided having a weak male lead, which is crucial. Some cliches have appeared, but as long as the harem doesn't grow too big and the point of friendship is still explored like it was in Episode 3, I'll continue to enjoy this without expecting too much. (3 eps - 8/10)

Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing - Initially I was very worried this show would succumb too much to current trends. It hasn't, thankfully. The visuals and CGI in this show are just spellbinding. Some top-notch seiyuu work. The amount of character development and story covered in the second episode clear up a lot of lingering questions from the original series as well as some of the new ones. Fam and Giselle are an electric combo. Luscinia is one chilling villiain. The stage has been set for something special. Now get to work and make it happen! (2 eps - 8.5/10)

Chihayafuru - Easily the best of the season for me. Insanely good character dynamic. The cultural aspect is intriguing. Lovely visuals. Great OP theme. Themes of friendship and raison d'etre are being explored well. Great seiyuu work. I'll be eagerly waiting for each new episode. (3 eps - 9/10)
Old 2011-10-26, 13:16   Link #19
christinemarie
Crazy One

Impression Rating
5/5 if that show is almost at the same level as Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
4/5 if that show is something that makes me yearn for more and not boring much like Death Note.
3/5 mediocre show but always part of my seasonal anime watching routine much like Gintama.
2/5 if that show is a slow starter but tends to drag around much like Bleach.
1/5 can't comprehend the value of the show as it get out of range of its scope.

I'll start first with the underdog shows that certain bloggers or even others just ignored.

CubexCursexCurious - Yes, others just dropped it after watching episode 1 for me its foolish to rely on first impressions which I had that kind of mistake for Hanasaku Iroha last Spring that itself is a failure for them to check this show's real value as it goes on each episode. Rating 3/5 (This could get higher or lower depends on the next four episodes.)

Ben-to - Another show seems ignored since they thought it would be just a pointless anime with pointless action but this is action for me in a perspective that the whole staff deliver their best to make each episode interesting, I'm just disappointed with episode 03's dragged decision but give them some slack since it's pointless to make the main protagonist figure out the solution in a span of a day seems not right. Rating 3/5 (Probably could go lower if they make another mistake in the next five episodes.)

Then goes to the popular ones with the exception of talking about recurring, remakes, sequels, prequels such as Fate/Zero, Hunter X Hunter, Shinryaku! Ika Musume S2, Working S2, Shakugan no Shana III Final, and other more.

Mirai Nikki - The talk of the season next to Fate/Zero. But since the manga have ended the only one who would enjoy this show are the newcomers or didn't entice to read to the manga and the fanatics. Once they read some spoilers, they might get some punishment. Yuno is interesting, I didn't read the manga which is the same thing I did for Death Note. So I expect it to span on 24~39 episodes that covers the whole manga. "Good night, Yuki." Rating 4/5 (It would remain in the same spot in the next five episodes.)

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai - A show that features seven characters with different personalities, I enjoyed it since the OVA and even have the previous three episodes in my hard drive which rarely happen, since I don't store anime that much and just delete them after watching. There are lot of things to talk about here and there only one thing should be avoided the recurring themes like the Androphobic girl from Working and such shouldn't be retained for a longer period of time as it would stop the show from being interesting. Kobato is the huge plus in this show heck I was surprised there is no censorship in this anime, probably the brilliance is there that they could avoid that. Rating 4/5 (Probably retain its rating for the next five episodes.)

The so-so shows of the season that just hard to ignore, the ecchi shows are excluded from this list as DVD versions are better than censored.

Mashiro-iro Symphony - Well another drama, love, and splice of life type of anime with a mascot cat feels like Da Capo 1 first season. At least the main protagonist have guts like Tomoya from Clannad and one of this anime is a necessity each year. Rating 2/5 (Fixed since I just love watching this type of anime once in a while.)

Then the overrated shows needs to be talk about cause the bloggers keeps on talking about them like those anime are that good.

Horizon - Its kinda sleepy even with those fan-service around, the plot thickens each episode, and I even wonder why I still pursue this anime probably due to its over hyped status. The action starts to kick in episode 4 but still boring, same thing could happen for Shakugan no Shana III Final episode 4 since I can't consider the short battle between Shanghai Flame Haze and the other one as decent. Rating 1/5 (Might get higher in the next four episodes depending on them.)

Guilty Crown - It's guilty for a lot of reasons not to be talked about. Hence, I put this anime on this position for that. Maybe I had enough with shows that's too obvious could probably led to train wreck. Iroha saved the day at least for now. Rating 2/5 (Tends to get higher or even lower in the next six episodes.)
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 23:55   Link #20
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Pretty good season, as good as spring this year if not better. From worst to best:

The Trash Tier (Dropped and not looking back)

Name of Series: Cube x Curse x Curious
Rating: /10
Comments: It's pretty looking and the OP's animation is really fluid, but my god everything else about this series is facepalm worthy. Retarded plot, bad characters and just awful, awful fanservice. And the action scene in episode 2 came outta no where and was just wtf. This series was just overall just plain offensive. Oh Shin Oonuma, how low you have fallen since your high days of directing ef tale of memories/melodies.

Rating: 3/10
Comments: The most disappointing series of the season, maybe even the year. I really wanted to like this series, but I just can't. Although I admit that having played the original game partly contributed to this, but man is the directing in this terrible. Pacing is off, it's way too goofy and childish compared to the games where it had style (this has NO style). I should have known that Seiji Kishi directing would be trouble considering Angel Beats had the exact same pacing problems.

Name of Series: Shakugan no Shana Season 3
Comments: A long time ago, Shana was one of my gateway animes back in 2005 or so. I loved it then, but not so much now. So I decided that I should attempt to finish the franchise that once upon a time I loved. Turns out it was a terrible idea. Yes 2nd season was bad, but this season is even worse because pretends that the events at the end of the 2nd season didn't exist. And what's up with Yuuji suddenly turning into a bad guy and having a douche hairstyle . I am aware that it's trying to be faithful to the LN, but jeez, at least attempt to link the anime original ending to the LN JC Staff you lazy pricks.

C-Tier (Will watch if nothing else to do or else not of high priority)

Rating: 5/10
Comments: Initially I thought the show was ok, then I realized after episode 2 that this was gender-reversed K-on. There is some midly amusing character interactions between the boys but I can't help but feel that there are yaoi vibes everywhere. Classic example is a guy brushing another guy's hair. Or that really effeminate guy. Don't think I'll be following this one.

Name of Series: Senjou no Horizon
Rating: 5.5/10
Comments: This was really goofy and childish, but it had some nice mech designs. Not really interested at the moment but I did hear that after episode 4 it gets better so I might give it another chance... one day.

Name of Series: Tamayura Hitotose
Comments: This was just really boring for me. I guess the nostalgic background elements of the main female lead's father was nice, but otherwise I felt really bored. And what's up with her best friend crying so much? I haven't seen that much crying since Anohana . Might give it another chance when I'm in a better mood, but not atm.

Name of Series: Bakuman 2
Comments: I watched the first season, and thought it was ok but really slow. I'm guessing the 2nd season will be pretty similar so I may marathon this when it finishes airing.

Name of Series: Hunter x Hunter
Rating: 6.5/10
Comments: Was not bad. Unfortunately, shonens are likely my least favourite genre (outside of ecchi, but I never watch those) so I admit I'm biased here. Same reason I couldn't follow Ao no Exorcist. Perhaps one day I can break through my anti-shonen barrier.

Name of Series: Gundam Age
Rating: 6.5/10
Comments: Never was a big fan of Gundam, but this was actually not bad. At the very least it's been better than Gundam 00 which was just really emo and too serious. I'll wait how this turns out.

B-Tier (Cutoff for what I'll try to follow on a weekly basis)

Name of Series: Un-Go
Comments: One of the better "Sherlock Homes" style detective shows as of late, but that's because anime tends to fail at it. For now the mysteries are interesting, but I wish Inga wasn't so creepy. One thing that worries me is that the fact it's a 11ep noitamina series. We all know how that ends up usually *cough Fractale, C, No6 cough*

Comments: One of the surprises of the season. Was expecting a lame fanservice series, instead got a over-the-top but funny comedy. The level at which the character take discounted lunch sets is hilarious. Great OP that sets the atmosphere and the animation is largely great, particularly for the fight scenes. It does however seem to have a leg/thigh fetish... Following this purely for weekly laughs.

Comments: Having read the manga, so far it's a pretty good adaptation. There are some issues though like the MC being a emo shonen kiddy and some of the plot mechanisms being too farfetched (e.g. Bombs in a middle school), but otherwise it's not bad action/thriller/survival game. The crux is whether you can find Yuno Gasai interesting or not, fortunately I do.

Name of Series: Mawaru Penguindrum
Episodes Watched: 14
Rating: 7.5/10
Comments: The only carryover from last season. I'm actually not sure what to think about this show, but overall I do like it. Sometimes, it's just too damn weird and trippy, but other times it's genuinely intriguing. One thing is for sure though, those penguins are hilarious as hell. So, at the very least, it's pretty good for comedy, but of course that isn't the focus of the series.

Name of Series: Boku wa Tomodachi
Rating: 7.5/10
Comments: Now this is a harem comedy done right. Although the male lead is cynical most of the time, he can be badass and GAR at times. But the real crux is the bantering between Sena and Yozora which is pretty hilarious. All the characters are bunch of "haters", which is a big plus for me . And I'll be lying my ass off if I said some of the fanservice wasn't appealing. I do skip the OP though... reminds me of Denpa Onna's OP...

A-Tier (Watch ASAP)

Comments: Production values are off the roof for this one, and I think it's actually probably the best animated series of the year so far. Sexy/cute girls, mechs, rebellion, gung-ho technology, great action scenes, so at the very least, it's very entertaining for me. Although there are some problems like MC being a bit bland and according to some people "too Code Geass like", I think it's getting too much flak for what it deserves. We'll see though how it pans out, but for now, it's a treat like a Hollywood blockbuster action flick would be.

Rating: 8.5/10
Comments: Now this is a shojo/josei done right. The director of Nana comes back and strikes another goldmine. The female lead is very fun to watch (reminds me of Ohana from Hanasaku Iroha) and its themes of bullying, friendships and re-establishing friendships were very well executed. The card game "Karuta" is a bonus, as at the moment it seems to be used mainly a plot device for character development. I hope that's the case, although I won't be too disappointed if the card game takes more focus later on. My solid second favorite of the season.

Comments: At the moment, it's a serious contender for anime of the year alongside Madoka Magica, Steins Gate and Usagi Drop for me. So far in 4 episodes, I managed to siphon more information and be more entertained than the entirety of DEEN's Fate/Stay Night and Unlimited Blade Works Movie put together. Gen Urobuchi seems to have striken gold again (though I am aware the LNs were written a while ago) and the Aoki Ei (Kara no Kyoukai, Wandering Son, Ga-Rei Zero) is showing his proficiency as an excellent director. Lots of character development, great action themes (when there is some) and great atmosphere. Only criticism I have is that Yuki Kajiura's musical score isn't up to the level I expected it to be. Currently, my favourite of the season.

I would like to try out Last Exile: FAM sometime, but I need to finish S1 first...

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-10-27 at 00:16.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote