Notices

Old 2011-10-23, 14:57   Link #141
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannikin View Post
What is it?: Big/small breast complex

Worst offenders: Vast majority of anime with anything to do with relationships, especially harems. Way too many to count.

Notable exceptions: Ummm...

What makes it popular: Thinking with the wrong head. Writers can't think of anything else to fill up (i.e. waste) time with.

Reason that I hate it: Putting aside the fact that I think most big boobs in anime range from silly to utterly ridiculous, writers waste SO MUCH TIME over this nonsense. Every episode/chapter they have to waste several minutes of males being obsessed, and "OMG, you made a totally unrelated comment on something flat like a table, now I'm going to beat you up over it". Furthermore, lazy writers use it as an easy reset button to prevent relationships from ever getting anywhere (see Baka Test).

Is the hate really worth it?: Yes, if they would get over it, they could probably add another episode or more worth of content to an average season, as well as demonstrate that they are actually not totally clueless as to where they're going with relationships.

My complaint is similar to this.

It's how girls in anime have a tendency to either have large breasts to a silly degree (or worse), or to be downright flat-chested. I'd prefer more "happy medium" girls.

To demonstrate what I mean by "happy medium" girls, let me use this handy-dandy Saki Bust chart schematic that can be found here. (I'd put that image into the body of the post except it's too big)

As much as I like Nodoka (girl on the far left, biggest breasts), her breasts are large to the point where it's getting a bit silly.

However, most of the girls on the right half of the schematic are quite flat-chested (sadly, I'd have to include Saki herself here).

What I'd like to see are more anime girls with breast sizes somewhere between Mihoko Fukuji (3rd girl form the left) and Hisa Takei (auburn-haired girl, almost right in the middle). Stealth Momo and her beloved senpai Yumi (6th and 7th from the left) have just about perfect breast size, imo.
Old 2011-10-23, 17:01   Link #142
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
My complaint is similar to this.

It's how girls in anime have a tendency to either have large breasts to a silly degree (or worse), or to be downright flat-chested. I'd prefer more "happy medium" girls.

To demonstrate what I mean by "happy medium" girls, let me use this handy-dandy Saki Bust chart schematic that can be found here. (I'd put that image into the body of the post except it's too big)

As much as I like Nodoka (girl on the far left, biggest breasts), her breasts are large to the point where it's getting a bit silly.

However, most of the girls on the right half of the schematic are quite flat-chested (sadly, I'd have to include Saki herself here).

What I'd like to see are more anime girls with breast sizes somewhere between Mihoko Fukuji (3rd girl form the left) and Hisa Takei (auburn-haired girl, almost right in the middle). Stealth Momo and her beloved senpai Yumi (6th and 7th from the left) have just about perfect breast size, imo.
I'd be happy if they just ditched the huge breasts, even more so if they fall into the "beach ball size" category. I find those silly, or even disgusting to look at.

To use that breast chart you posted, I would find anything right of Yumi acceptable, though I am perfectly fine with (or actually prefer) completely flat-chested characters, like Koromo Amae on the far right, as well.
Old 2011-10-23, 17:34   Link #143
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I'd be happy if they just ditched the huge breasts, even more so if they fall into the "beach ball size" category. I find those silly, or even disgusting to look at.

To use that breast chart you posted, I would find anything right of Yumi acceptable, though I am perfectly fine with (or actually prefer) completely flat-chested characters, like Koromo Amae on the far right, as well.
You honestly think that Yumi's breast size there is overly large and not acceptable? Her breast size is quite in line with what you could see on many real life teenage girls.

I'd just like to see fewer extremes (and yes, completely flat-chested is just as extreme as the "beach ball size" category, imo), and more happy mediums.
Old 2011-10-24, 03:16   Link #144
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You honestly think that Yumi's breast size there is overly large and not acceptable? Her breast size is quite in line with what you could see on many real life teenage girls.
Just because a lot of teenage girls (usually ones well above age 15) have breasts similar to Yumi, doesn't mean I have to like them. To me, anything between Yumi and Koromo is good enough with a personal preference towards anything further to the right and anything above Yumi is an instant 'no' in 99% of the cases. If there is a girl I like with boobs bigger than that, it's usually because I like her personality.

Quote:
I'd just like to see fewer extremes (and yes, completely flat-chested is just as extreme as the "beach ball size" category, imo), and more happy mediums.
I'm sure there are plenty of 'happy mediums' to go around, you just got to look for them.
Old 2011-10-24, 03:29   Link #145
Undertaker

For me, I think there is are too many flat chest around. While I don't like humongous chest, I find it ridiculous the other way as well, especially the way most anime "lead" has become flat-chested more often than not.

The funny thing is that Saki graph actually portray this pretty well. While Nodoka is obviously too big, and I'm fine with everyone but her, everyone right of Saki is too small for the comfort, and really, you don't see people that flat nowadays.

But it really comes down to how the breast is drawn, some artist just have knack on drawing huge tits and still manage to make it look good...
Old 2011-10-24, 09:01   Link #146
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
There are people like that, though. Nowadays, being a teenager at age 15 and NOT having had any form of sexual contact with the opposite sex is considered strange and abnormal by your peers. And a lot of teens have had actual sex before they reach Age of Consent.
In the US, most teens wait to have sex well beyond age 15; about half of all eighteen-year-old were still virgins according to these data. A report by the Guttmacher Institute estimates that 13% of American teens have had sex by age 15; the median first age of intercourse is estimated at 17 by the Kaiser Family Foundation. (See http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...87#post3710987.)

Figures I've seen for Japan are pretty consistent with these American data, though this finding may not generalize outside of Japan.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 10:22   Link #147
kitten320

^UK will be exception, they are suffering from young mothers here.

But considering the way they all act here, almost every foreigner has their mouth agap and barely have any respect for them =/

There are exceptios of course!
Old 2011-10-24, 12:51   Link #148
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Anime cliche: The guy is accused of being a pervert.

What is it?: There always seems to be some situation where the guy trips and falls on the girl, or the girl trips and falls on the guy, or even some situation where the girl reveals herslef to the guy on accident. No matter the circumstances, even when the guy is trying to tell the girl that he can see her stuff, the guy is ALWAYS accused of being a pervert, even though it was an accident, usually caused be the girl. The accusation is generally followed up by a face slap.

Worst offenders: I think it would be easier to list the ones where this kind of thing didn't happen.

Notable exceptions: Can't think of any right now, but then again I am at work.

Variants: Guy walks in on girl while she is dressing/undressing because she didn't bother to lock the door.

What makes it popular: No idea.

Reason that I hated it: Because I really get annoyed when people blame others for their own actions. Relax girl, it was just an accident. The guy wasn't trying to do anything to you.

Is the hate really worth it?: For me, yes. I might be treading on Grumpy Old Man/Get Off My Lawn territory here, but I really think the world would be a better place if people owned up to their actions, accidental or not.
Old 2011-10-24, 13:03   Link #149
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

I'm sure there are plenty of 'happy mediums' to go around, you just got to look for them.
You shouldn't have to "look for them" (i.e. they being the exception to the rule). They should be commonplace, as they are in real life. That's my point.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with Undertaker here.
Old 2011-10-25, 15:58   Link #150
Puddingman

Quote:
Anime cliche: The guy is accused of being a pervert.
Although I agree with you, it's hilarious in Air when Michiru calls Yukito a pervert for no reason then kicks him XD. He does that "GWUA!" sound like he's in street fighter or something
Old 2011-10-26, 09:56   Link #151
Fuyuno
Banned

Anime cliche: Screaming/squaling fangirls

What is it?: Usually when a hot dude and rarely a hot chick come into view group of crazy girls goes KYAAAAH! and follow that guy or chick wherever he or she goes.

Worst offenders: Usually shows that aimed for young females like Ouran High Host Club and Special A but it also makes its way to some male-oriented shows like Infinite Stratos(where lots of girls goes crazy for Orimura-sensei who is a woman and some of the fangirls went too far as want to punished by her so bad) for example.

Notable exceptions: Persona 3(game). Akihiko actually hates the girls went crazy for him and he even shoo'ed them personally(though ironically that makes his fangirls to love him more).

Variants: Screaming/squaling fanboys. Genders were reversed but still as bad. Kitto Kitto Kaede everyone?

What makes it popular: No idea, except crazy people are crazy for everything.

Reason that I hated it: Fangirls, both fictional and real can be annoying. Who don't hate yaoi fangirls except yaoi fangirls themselves?

Is the hate really worth it?: Absolutely though I want to introduce a whole new cliche: A good-looking guy or girl get boo'ed by the crowd and they say " Good looks alone don't make you a good person!".
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 14:02   Link #152
Puddingman

Damn, I watched MM! and so many of these cliches were in there.

Tsundere
Screaming fangirls/boys
Overreaction to sweets
Painfully cheesy shyness
Delayed saying "I love you" to continue series
The girls being upset about their "sizes"
Guy being accused of pervert (although he sorta is)

One that I noticed too is:

Anime cliche: Character asking intimate question while looking like they're gonna turn super sayian.

What is it?: When a character is afraid of asking a question, usually because of embarrassment or expressing feelings and they're like, "....IS IT OKAY IF I CALL YOU LATER???" With their eyes scrunched in.

Worst offenders: I just saw this a ton from Yuno(?) in MM!

Notable exceptions: Maybe somebody else knows.

Variants: Unusual combinations of dialogue content and expressivity.

What makes it popular: I guess it creates a dramatic effect or to emphasize the character's struggle to express true feelings.

Reason that I hated it: Cmon man, no one talks like that. It's kinda off putting too, to see someone yell, "I like you" like they're angry or something.

Is the hate really worth it?: I imagine it could be done tastefully, but it gets tiring when the same character does it X number of times in 1 episode.
Old 2011-10-26, 19:27   Link #153
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

What is it?: Moral faggotry

Worst offenders: Okazaki Tomoya

Notable exceptions: Exceptions to that? Impossible.

Variants: Orimura Ichika

What makes it popular: Who knows?

Reason that I hated it: They're turning a good setting into a terrible one or make something bad even worse, usually the latter. This includes shouting at others in the style of "HOW COULD YOU DO SOMETHING THIS DETESTABLE?" when the reasons are absolutely clear to anyone, be it world conquest, get the girl you want, money or simple misunderstandings. The "villain" is doing it because he wants to do it and surely won't change his way just because you yell at him. Suck it up and smack him on the head or something but don't.try.to.argue.with.them.

The Orimura Ichika version tries to show the other person what they're doing wrong by getting on their soft side (not exactly sure how to express that better) with an extremely wrong argumentation which makes them suddenly realize that their actions cause trouble to everyone. Ichika is a good example because those things usually happen because he caused them himself but somehow make it seem like the other person is responsible for them. Houki is pretty brain dead at times as well but that's another matter.

Is the hate really worth it?: ABSOLUTELY.

What is it?: The helper syndrome

Worst Offenders: A typical theme in shounen anime.

Notable Exceptions: There are probably some.

What makes it popular: It gives people the "hero" feeling.

Reasons I hate it: There are good and bad variations of this. The good ones are those who want to help someone who is close to them like a sibling or a good friend. No the sister of your best friend isn't close to you. The bad ones are those who see a person they have never seen before being in trouble (maybe save them from thugs or whatever) -so far so good- but then investigate on their own and stir up even more trouble until they face the villain at the end. Why would you mess with the problems of other people? You're just making them worse for them even if you somehow end up resolving the whole thing.

Is the hate really worth it?: ABSOLUTELY
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 23:25   Link #154
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

Anime Cliché: Overused/redundant flashbacks!
What is it? Showing a quick flashback of a certain event even if that just happened a minute ago, or longer ones just from the previous episode.
Worst Offenders: Too many, such as Mirai Nikki (I still love the show!), and mainstream anime.
What makes it popular? I have no idea, either a low budget or amnesiac target audiences.
Reasons for my hate: This has got to be one of my biggest pet peeves for some reason. It really disturbs the flow of the story and ruins the mood for me when every other scene is just a quick snapshot of what just happened. I don't care if some character is recalling some sort of kiss or fight that just played out right in front of me, just show their damn facial expression and get on with it! This also includes the stupid inner monologues that play over it and those accursed "recap" episodes.
Old 2011-10-27, 01:27   Link #155
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I have a lot of those, let's see...

Totally clueless characters[/B] - those are mostly in school romance/harem shows. The girl is litterally going for mau heroes dick and he still doesn't get that she likes him! A notable example was Kampfer, I have never seen a bigger idiot than him -_-
Almost 90% of characters in Reborn series are 2 dimensional and abnormally stupid. It took Yamamaoto about 50-790 episodes to understand that it was not a game but real thing, just how damn dumb do you have to be?![
Nah! Ichika from IS is the bigger idiot. At least Natsuru liked a girl (despite the fact she loves only his female persona), Ichika doesn't take the initiative to look or even considered someone like what Natsuru did.

Ichika goes to an all girls school. He doesn't have to dress like a girl or act like one, he can just be his boyish self without no problems. He's surrounded by cute girls all day including the 5 representatives from France, England, Japan (his home court), China, Germany, and the sister of a childhood (guy) friend gunning after him. Plus he has a loli meganekko teacher included in his harem. I mean a meganekko, how can you resist.

He never takes the time to realize how good he's got it. I mean millions if not billions would kill to be in his position, but he's like "Eh, it's a school. Girls no big deal." I'm sorry IS fans but that dude just gets me so mad!!!
Old 2011-10-27, 15:38   Link #156
kitten320

I never watched IS so I could never mention it
Old 2011-10-27, 22:04   Link #157
Puddingman

OH YEA! I haven't seen this one posted yet:

Anime cliche: Character flying naked, or floating no where naked.

Worst offenders:
Can't say for sure, I have seen it randomly tons of times though.

Notable exceptions: Air, Soul Eater, I think it's meaningful here.

What makes it popular:
Well I think it can be symbolic, but sometimes it's just like, "Come on, do you really have to be naked doing that? Everyone does it"

Is the hate really worth it
?: It's okay if its significant to the plot, I mostly wanted to add it to the list of cliches.
Old 2011-10-28, 04:56   Link #158
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddingman View Post
OH YEA! I haven't seen this one posted yet:

Anime cliche: Character flying naked, or floating no where naked.

Worst offenders:
Can't say for sure, I have seen it randomly tons of times though.

Notable exceptions: Air, Soul Eater, I think it's meaningful here.

What makes it popular:
Well I think it can be symbolic, but sometimes it's just like, "Come on, do you really have to be naked doing that? Everyone does it"

Is the hate really worth it
?: It's okay if its significant to the plot, I mostly wanted to add it to the list of cliches.
I don't intend to justify this cliche's overuse, but I think one reason why characters are shown naked (often with a dark, monochrome, or abstract background) is to clue us in that we are viewing the character's innermost thoughts. Nudity represents purity, so when we are treated to the characters' pure thoughts, a lack of clothes amongst other visual and audio clues tells us that we're in their minds. There are other uses for portraying characters like this, such as the characters absorbed as part of a larger entity or higher existence (Evangelion, Madoka Magica), or psychic communication between multiple characters (Gundam 00).

It's rather funny how they often keep hair or face accessories like hair ties and eye patches in those scenes while not having clothes, though.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 12:06   Link #159
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Anime cliche: Unnmarried Teacher

Worst offenders: Any shoene aimed at kids

Notable exceptions: Any shoene since they are mostly kids shows.

What makes it popular: I don't know what is the stigma about not being married but usually women in those works are portrayed as lonely, oversexed individuals.

Is the hate really worth it?: I am not too critical of it since it is a cultural thing especially in most countries.
Old 2011-10-29, 21:29   Link #160
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Anime cliche: Unnmarried Teacher

Worst offenders: Any shoene aimed at kids

Notable exceptions: Any shoene since they are mostly kids shows.

What makes it popular: I don't know what is the stigma about not being married but usually women in those works are portrayed as lonely, oversexed individuals.

Is the hate really worth it?: I am not too critical of it since it is a cultural thing especially in most countries.
hem, you actually see this more on non-pure shonen shows nowaday. Care to list a few titles?

Although I would agree that this is more or a culture thing. Stereotypical views in East Asian country is that women should get married before they hit 30, and when they get married, they usually quit their job and stay home as home-maker. The popular view is that any women(men as well) who can't get married by then is relationship-challenged and usually face social pressures from their parents and peers...

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad