AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-26, 12:49   Link #781
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
Hiya, my fellow brethren!
We welcome you with open arms! (provided you're an alien, time traveller, planeswalker or an esper)

LoL. Just kidding.

Singapore eh? If you can read Chinese than you're in luck.
The novels are translated into Chinese by 台灣角川書店
http://www.walkersnet.com.tw/fiction...-D48A5F082AA6}
Just print out that page and go to the nearest Comics Connection to order from them.

If you're not a member, they can be quite expensive.
Member price is about SG$13 per novel, which is still quite costly.

I ordered the first 5 volumes, hopefully they arrive this week. :x
Nice info. I'm seriously tempted to get the novels too... but I'm afraid I'm going to have a hard time reading them cos they're translated into fan ti... argh!! dilemma...

btw, nice to meet you and C.A. fellow S'poreans and Haruhiist's.
mr.muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 13:56   Link #782
Bracken33

Watched all four subbed episodes today. Almost missed it, good I found this great show!
Was episode 4 now episode 4 or episode 7 ?
Bracken33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 14:39   Link #783
Julius Firefocht

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.muffin
Nice info. I'm seriously tempted to get the novels too... but I'm afraid I'm going to have a hard time reading them cos they're translated into fan ti... argh!! dilemma...

btw, nice to meet you and C.A. fellow S'poreans and Haruhiist's.
Nice to meet you too. Good to know there are fellow Haruhiists in my country!
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Julius Firefocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 15:19   Link #784
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Listening to 'Bouken Desho Desho?' now.

Seems like singaporean haruhists cant sleep lol, why is everybody posting so early in the morning?

Seriously im fanatic about haruhiism, i cant stop thinking about it every minute, every day, I'm sure everyone's like this.

I just watched a documentary on discovery channel called 'World's strangest UFO stories', it totally stirred up the haruhist in me. Right now i can't sleep, all I'm thinking now is to meet an alien or some supernatural being lol.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 15:28   Link #785
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

What's been stirring up in me is quantum mechanics and how that things are waveform functions (I know it's odd...). Suddenly, one of the most boring topic springs to life thanks to Haruhi. Questions such as "why am I not falling through all this 'space' between me and the chair I sit on" dogs me now.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 15:32   Link #786
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

You know, CSI was said to directly cause an increase in university applicants to apply for genetics and such courses.

I won't be surprised, if haruhi causes an increase in people to apply for quatum/astrophysics and such lol
Old 2006-04-26, 15:37   Link #787
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

(I guess deep down, human have the aspiration to obtain the 'divine hand' as our alchemist predecessors once did.)

O yea, welcome C.A. I guess it really is time to be on the lookout for signs of alien presence right?

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-04-26, 15:55   Link #788
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
What's been stirring up in me is quantum mechanics and how that things are waveform functions (I know it's odd...). Suddenly, one of the most boring topic springs to life thanks to Haruhi. Questions such as "why am I not falling through all this 'space' between me and the chair I sit on" dogs me now.
A vast number of EM force-mediating Gauge Bosons! You can't be certain about individual quantum-level objects but the statistics and probabilities of a vast number of them IS known.

(err, maybe we should carry this on in the Ontology thread if you want)
Psieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 16:11   Link #789
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
(I guess deep down, human have the aspiration to obtain the 'divine hand' as our alchemist predecessors once did.)

O yea, welcome C.A. I guess it really is time to be on the lookout for signs of alien presence right?
Hi , yes haruhiism has taught us that we human beings are curious and have dreams and desires. The great Haruhi has awaken us from our slumber and we must now work towards our dreams and curiosities.
Old 2006-04-26, 16:33   Link #790
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
she also taught us Sanity is overrated.

Buwuauhguururuuguguraagaaahhh!

Old 2006-04-26, 16:52   Link #791
Xinil
Blargh

Send a message via ICQ to Xinil Send a message via AIM to Xinil
Psieye, I must say, your avatar freakin' rocks. I started busting up laughing in class. Haruhi ftw.

I must say that I'm ridiculously addicted to this series. I've already watched all the available subs through twice (that's unheard of for me).

So I've been thinking...what is this series most closely related to? I can't really point my finger on any similarities. It's just so new. Possibly Furi Kuri...but not really. Any ideas?
Xinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 16:55   Link #792
Adigard

Why does the show have resemble anything? ^_^

But... if it had to resemble anything, it's a slice-of-life school show, of course ^^ Just, not the slice-of-life we live.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 17:08   Link #793
Xinil
Blargh

Send a message via ICQ to Xinil Send a message via AIM to Xinil
It doesn't "have" to resemble anything. It's just when I recommend it to people, they always ask "well, what's it like?" I never have anything to respond with. I'm always just like, "There isn't anything like it." Sometimes that's enough to get them interested, but sometimes it isn't. Oh well.
Xinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 17:12   Link #794
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well a subset of this is similar to classfication of Haruhi herself as a moe genre. Numerous talks want to pin Tsun-Dere but that doesn't describe Haruhi well enough. Genki is a subset of Haruhi... it becomes too restrictive to call her by those classifications. Rather, it might be easier to just create a Haruhiist type and call it that. We can make comparisons such as how Haruko of FLCL have some resemblence but... would you consider Haruko as moe? If not the comparison is moot.

Old 2006-04-26, 20:12   Link #795
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Well a subset of this is similar to classfication of Haruhi herself as a moe genre. Numerous talks want to pin Tsun-Dere but that doesn't describe Haruhi well enough. Genki is a subset of Haruhi... it becomes too restrictive to call her by those classifications. Rather, it might be easier to just create a Haruhiist type and call it that. We can make comparisons such as how Haruko of FLCL have some resemblence but... would you consider Haruko as moe? If not the comparison is moot.
The idea that a character can be moe and tsundere at the same time sounds unlikely, but the more I think about it, the more I think you're right. Haruhi is to be feared, but she is also pitiable in some way, and to be protected. Kyon is both her victim and her protector. I only saw tsun until the dere of that last smile....
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 20:28   Link #796
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
It more like "Tsun-kowaii-dere" to me.

Old 2006-04-26, 22:30   Link #797
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Ahahaha, thank Riker and the rest in the SOS-dan Avatar thread for making me this avatar ^^ Someone else took the scene where she's rubbing/tapping her head with her finger while explaining "Moe is essential!" so I instead have that as my LJ avatar.

Anyway, how to describe Haruhi to the uninitiated masses... well I started with "it's sort of like the crack of Excel Saga or Pani Poni Dash, but squeezed into a world where nothing abnormal happens and Laws of Physics are obeyed. Not an accurate statement, but it's a start - crack & genki in high school life that obeys regular Laws of Physics"

Now of course, to anyone who's seen Ep 3+
Spoiler for it's good to keep a habit of putting spoiler tags, even for the most minor things:

It's a starting image. Then you add a quick description of Haruhi (her self-introduction, Moe + Tsun-dere oxymoron, OMGExcited mode, MOLESTATION POWAA, etc) and maybe comment on Kyon's narrative during the film. Should be enough to get them interested.

Actually, my description of Haruhi (when I was convincing my friends to watch) was worded like this (the first sentence contains it all, the rest was something extra for those who knew SRW[1]):
Quote:
Originally Posted by From my LJ, after Ep 2 was out
Tenma, Shana, Gates (FMP:TSR), Asa (Shuffle), Hisui's Swirlies powaa... this girl's absorbed all of them and more. Even with only 1 episode's worth of character fleshing to go on, I need to try putting down some Seishins for this girl...

Suzumiya Haruhi - Super Type
Lv ??? 400 SP
I'Atsu, Toushi, Kasoku, Chokugeki, Doryoku, Totsugeki
****Innate: Starts at 115 Kiryoku[1], Limit Break (max 170 Kiryoku), Haruhi Field (absorbs up to 4000 of any type of damage), EN Regen, SP Regen, Auto-generates Kiryoku every turn, +1 Kiryoku whenever anyone aims at her, +2 Kiryoku whenever anyone hits her[2]
>>>Notes: Double Movement, High Armour

[1] You too would be pissed off if you had so much Kiryoku yet nothing to use it on
[2] Note: this procs even if that hit was completely absorbed by her Field

Yeah, that's a lot of special abilities I've given her. Chances are her Profile will change as we try to figure out what Seishins best describe her. She doesn't need Nekketsu/Tamashii though, as she's always running around with high-to-ludicrous Kiryoku. You just have to see her series to make sense of what I've assigned her.

Edit 2: Ah, that must be it yes. Figured out how this character could be taken down.

Chokugeki + HitChuu (+ optional Nekketsu/Tamashii) - that would do the trick. Assuming she's got low HP, Chokugeki will ignore her Haruhi Field and do direct damage - her high armour means it may not beat 4000 damage, but she'd likely become a casualty if she started taking any direct damage from a decent attack.
[1]Super Robot Wars - a turn-based strategy game series where the idea is that they take about 15 or so famous Giant Robot anime and put them all into one big crossover story. Can get exceptionally deep as it's not traditional 'turn-based' later in the game.
Psieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 00:23   Link #798
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
The idea that a character can be moe and tsundere at the same time sounds unlikely, but the more I think about it, the more I think you're right. Haruhi is to be feared, but she is also pitiable in some way, and to be protected. Kyon is both her victim and her protector. I only saw tsun until the dere of that last smile....
I went out to Wiki to pull down their definition of moe and tsundere... just to verify I wasn't missing anything. Here's a brief excerpt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe and dere excerpts from wikipedia
Nonthreatening and cute... sympathetic weakness they work hard to correct... any personality that elicits a protective or loving response... becoming meek and loving
This is the precise definition of Mikuru. A character who was pulled into the SOS-dan by Haruhi precisely because she is moe. Clarisse from the film Castle of Cagliostro is a wonderful example of a non-weak moe character. Clarisse isn't the best definition of moe, but I think she fits it well (IMO).

Haruhi does a really solid job of Tsun... but other than a single smile at the trailing minutes of ep4(7)... we haven't seen much dere. Her line of "If it's okay with you, I guess that's fine." will probably be debated (until next Sunday at least) of proof of her dere side. But I'm not convinced yet. I just don't see any of the standard dere traits other than "any personality that elicits a protective or loving response". Which is present in spades during that smile... but... ehh... Maybe she channels dere for a second or two, then shuts it off?
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 00:26   Link #799
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I still am a supporter for creation of another genre of moe beyond Tsundere.

now...
(the only possible counter to H.Field might be Hilbert Effect. Someone need to rig up a stat. for that. Collapsing spacetime waveform to prevent her field from developing!)

I am gonna dig up that Nanoha sheet just for relative comparison...

Old 2006-04-27, 00:31   Link #800
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Haruhi's "dere", if you can call it that, is most often really subtle and it happens fairly rarely. You can feel 'something' about her reaction but its not the normal stereotypical 'dere' response (meek and loving) that is easily identifiable as such. Because of this I too agree with setting Haruhi in a completely new category whose closest related moe model is Tsundere.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen