AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-10, 01:55   Link #2341
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Hisashiburi, minna. I've got to say that Jeff Lawson's choice of Simoun as his favorite show of the year was a big surprise and a great thing (thanks for the link, oneplusme). I rank Suzumiya Haruhi second or third for the year, so I don't agree with that part, but whatever.

Skane's thoughts are definitely interesting. He comes at things from such a different direction from me. Salutary to read, for sure. I won't repeat what I said in any of my multitudinous posts in this thread, but I guess I accepted the odd military tactics as part of an odd situation run by a very unmilitary society.

I'm one of those who loved Aaeru from start to finish. I even loved Furoe, unlike almost everyone else. Paraietta I never warmed to, despite how great Koshimizu Ami is. (She's good in both Asatte no Houkou and Kujibiki Unbalance, too.) The ranking that surprises me is Neviril: she's definitely in my top four, with Aaeru, Yun, and Mamiina. Maybe top two. She has such grandeur, to complement her uncertainty. I guess Dominura and Onashia rank pretty high for me, too.

Like m000m000, I like Saiunkoku, Asatte no Houkou, and Soukou no Strain. But I just finished Hataraki Man and that is a really great show, in my opinion. I liked Bokura ga Ita, as well. Kin-iro no Cord is more than just a bishounen reverse harem, too, although it's not the equal of those other shows. Except for maybe Nodame Cantabile, I don't see anything of seriousness and quality in the new January shows. I really enjoyed the dorama of Nodame.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 23:27   Link #2342
Skane
Anime Snark

Thoughts updated.

Random Thoughts on Ep19-20

Cheers.
Old 2007-01-11, 01:39   Link #2343
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Random thoughts on some of Skane's random thoughts.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-01-11, 09:49   Link #2344
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Skane, you certainly seem to relish in the search for plotholes.

Quote:
I won't repeat what I said in any of my multitudinous posts in this thread, but I guess I accepted the odd military tactics as part of an odd situation run by a very unmilitary society.
Yes. I laos replied in the blog but details aside my explanation for the issues raised by Skane can be summarised with not so many words - The Theocracy is run by incompetent people who have not the slightest idea how to wage war properly, let alone win it. And for the Sibyllae military discipline is something that happens to other people.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 20:29   Link #2345
Simon
気持ち悪い

There's a full-page interview with Niino Michi in the January issue of Animage. It seems to be mostly about her work in Ayakashi Ayashi, but Simoun does get the odd mention.
Old 2007-01-17, 19:39   Link #2346
kauldron26
Med Student

ight im going to see if i can actually get into this anime without being bothered by the yuri... hopefully it has a deeper meaning and not just to please the otakus

Last edited by kauldron26; 2007-01-18 at 08:20.
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 19:09   Link #2347
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
So, about the PS2 Game :/
http://simoun.at.webry.info/200701/article_2.html

Quote:
PS2「シムーン異薔薇戦争~封印のリ・マージョン~」の発売が未定となってしまいました。
There will be no Release Date until they decided... So after to being retarded for the 4th Time... Now there will be no more Date until they decided...
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 19:22   Link #2348
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Better late than crappy, right? Twilight Princess was delayed over a year, after all.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-20, 01:04   Link #2349
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26 View Post
Right im going to see if i can actually get into this anime without being bothered by the yuri... hopefully it has a deeper meaning and not just to please the otakus
Oh, yes. It certainly does. Fanservice may be part of the reason it's there, but there is a lot more.

On a barely related topic, people may be interested in a piece on my blog about the idea that many women seiyuus are gay, and specifically about Koshimizu Ami (Paraietta) and Sanpei Yuuko (Renton in Eureka 7), who had a "wedding dinner" on a Japanese radio show last week. Yuri possibilities are played for laughs on many seiyuu radio shows, and this show was no exception. But from reading Ami's blog, it appears that this couple could be for real, whether the marriage is or not. They seem like pretty nice people. The radio show itself is around on bittorrent. It's interesting to hear their normal voices.
Old 2007-01-20, 01:42   Link #2350
fignae
floofer. floof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
On a barely related topic, people may be interested in a piece on my blog about the idea that many women seiyuus are gay, and specifically about Koshimizu Ami (Paraietta) and Sanpei Yuuko (Renton in Eureka 7), who had a "wedding dinner" on a Japanese radio show last week. Yuri possibilities are played for laughs on many seiyuu radio shows, and this show was no exception. But from reading Ami's blog, it appears that this couple could be for real, whether the marriage is or not. They seem like pretty nice people. The radio show itself is around on bittorrent. It's interesting to hear their normal voices.
I wrote a (rather long...) reply. I hope it isn't offensive. The description above was too shocking. I think I focused on the wrong section.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-20, 05:37   Link #2351
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Better late than crappy, right? Twilight Princess was delayed over a year, after all.
Except that Simoun is not developed with the same budget of Zelda TP [And on the Other Hand, there was for the Wii Release]
And the Goal of Simoun is not to attend to get the Million Sell, but just to satisfy the Fan
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-20, 11:34   Link #2352
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post
Except that Simoun is not developed with the same budget of Zelda TP [And on the Other Hand, there was for the Wii Release]
And the Goal of Simoun is not to attend to get the Million Sell, but just to satisfy the Fan
Principal still stands, though . The only reason something is delayed is because it isn't ready to be released. It may not have a huge budget or being completely overhauled to run on a new system, but I'm sure they want it to sell as many copies as possible
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 13:09   Link #2353
kauldron26
Med Student

it was basically a chore watching eps 2-7 because i found ep 1 vey captivating so eps 2-7 seemed underwhelming. but after the events of ep 8 AAA-EE-RUUU!!! KABOOOOOM!!. lol, i guess i will be sticking thru the show... did not see that coming... hopefully it only gets better. its so weird because i dont even know how to view the characters considering the characters are potentially she-males. i really like the art though...
Old 2007-01-21, 13:54   Link #2354
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
it was basically a chore watching eps 2-7 because i found ep 1 vey captivating so eps 2-7 seemed underwhelming. but after the events of ep 8 AAA-EE-RUUU!!! KABOOOOOM!!. lol, i guess i will be sticking thru the show... did not see that coming... hopefully it only gets better.
Heh. That's pretty much the bit that does it for everyone. If it doesn't, it's time to stop watching.

And yes, it does get better... just wait for eps 12-20, when life really gets interesting for our sibyllae. (Aaeru in episode 13 deserves some sort of prize, in particular.)
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 13:35   Link #2355
kauldron26
Med Student

wow... so after a couple of weeks, i finally saw and finished Simoun.... im not even going to pretend; it took a while for me to get used to the whole she-male thing. Girls that want to be guys, guys that used to be girls, guys that look like girls, and girls that look like guys, and all guys sound like girls.... ~whew~ now that was very perturbing to get used to. However, episode 8 did it for me. And that was just awesome. And then came episode 14-16... Dominura where ever you are, know that you are fucking phenomenal. When the series came to an end, i was very underwhelmed and dissapointed, but then i decided to check out the boards, and then before i knew it i had been reading the boards especiall from page 80 to a 100 for about 2 hrs. And after rewatching the last episodes and certain scenes again with all the new information i knew... i began to feel emotions well up inside me and it caught me off guard.

I guess in certain series, the "mystery" clouds your appreciation for characters and when the final episode doesnt live up to the hype of the "mystery" you dont see what you are meant to see because you are looking in the wrong place and for the wrong thing. However when i rewatched certain scenes and the ending and focused on the characters, my appreciation for Simoun was greatly enhanced. Same thing happened to me with fantastic children. I was so wrapped up in the "mystery" that i didnt appreciate it the first time.

Simoun was great, an 8/10. Only thing that annoyed me was Aeru. I found her character quite annoying and almost started skipping over her scenes in the beginning. I swear "naive" and "idealistic" characters can ruin an anime for me. Thankfully there were moments and other characters to counter-balance her annoyingness.

And i am fully convinced that Dominura is or was Onashia (same height, same hair, same lips, reverse colored eyes, chor dextra and both never occupied the same scene at the same time: time and space contradiction, also we dont really get to know onashia until dominura disappears and then onashia starts popping up everywhere), Amuria was Aerus Grandfather (its the only way to find closure with her character and all the characters get closure so why not amuria) Limone and Dominura definitely go in the past not the future, the girl that was in love with limone in the ending ends up taking the word "Aeru" into her new founding land... etc...

Times like this i am grateful for message boards because we get to learn about so many series we dont know about, and end up appreciating and truly loving them. So many series on my top 10 were solely off word of mouth, and i cant even begin to imagine what it would be like if i was never curious enough to discover the greatness of Gankutsuo, Nana, Eureka 7, Planet ES, etc... Times like this we should be grateful for animesuki because we get to experience so much of the unknown thanks to this site.
To all the fans of this show who spent an insane amount of time on this board to reach over 2000 posts, i thank you. Because number of posts wasnt so high i would never have paid any attention to Simoun, and i would never have met the glorious and phenomenal Dominura.
Old 2007-01-29, 04:54   Link #2356
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
When the series came to an end, i was very underwhelmed and dissapointed, but. . . rewatching the last episodes and certain scenes again with all the new information i knew... i began to feel emotions well up inside me and it caught me off guard.
*nod* I was a little let down at first, but the ending really grows on you, and that final scene is just brilliant.

Quote:
And i am fully convinced that Dominura is or was Onashia . . . . Amuria was Aerus Grandfather
Those were certainly favourite theories in the run-up to episode 26, and part of why I felt let down by the ending at first was that I was expecting 26 to cover exactly those points. An OVA that covers or debunks those points might make a nice addition, but I'm not holding my breath.
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 05:18   Link #2357
Simon
気持ち悪い

The cast list for Idolmaster Xenoglossia looks like a Chor Tempest reunion: it includes Ami Koshimizu (Paraietta), Eri Kitamura (Amuria), Mamiko Noto (Rimone), Mikako Takahashi (Rodoreamon) and Yukana (Dominura/Erii). The anime itself seems rather questionable, but with such a strong voice line-up it may be worth a listen if not a watch.
Old 2007-02-04, 06:37   Link #2358
fignae
floofer. floof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The cast list for Idolmaster Xenoglossia looks like a Chor Tempest reunion: it includes Ami Koshimizu (Paraietta), Eri Kitamura (Amuria), Mamiko Noto (Rimone), Mikako Takahashi (Rodoreamon) and Yukana (Dominura/Erii). The anime itself seems rather questionable, but with such a strong voice line-up it may be worth a listen if not a watch.
All I can say is... wow. That is one impressive cast list! Ooh, Horie Yui and Tamura Yukari, again. In a Sunrise anime, no less.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 11:02   Link #2359
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Too bad it will be a Sunrise mecha series. not exactly something I am very fond of, to put it mildly. After I started watching Lovedol because of its seiyuu line-up it turned out picking series by the voice actors is not always such a great idea, after all.

Anyway, yesterday I rewatched 10 Simoun episodes straight (14-23) and some plot details I crticised before now become clearer and less annoying. But still episode 19 makes very little sense, the more I think of it the more I am convinced the scriptwriter(s) decided to kill off a character but never had a clear view how to do in a believable way. Also I don't get it why the enemy priestess were not punished for letting Neviril escape or why Chor Tempest did not destroy the platform.
Paraietta's character development in the second half of the series seemed a lot better to me this time around although her rapid improvement after the conversation with Alti was somewhat rushed. Another interesting thing I noticed was the lack of Similes taking part in battles. Sure, the Simouns are much better but this is like not using tanks because fighter planes are better. Just another proof for the utter incomptence of the Simulacran leaders, I guess, although you can say they probably did use Similes in other frontlines, like the one Aaeru came from.
A bit of insight into the lifes of the Plumbians, Argentines and the ordinary people of Simulacrum would have made Simoun even better but I guess the lack of knowledge about the enemies does help the viewers see where the main characters are coming from.

Quote:
To all the fans of this show who spent an insane amount of time on this board to reach over 2000 posts, i thank you. Because number of posts wasnt so high i would never have paid any attention to Simoun, and i would never have met the glorious and phenomenal Dominura.
Hey, don't encourage us, the thread is already huge.

Quote:
I swear "naive" and "idealistic" characters can ruin an anime for me.
Yet, you seem to love Planetes which has Tanabe as one of the principal characters. But then again I usually despise sich characters but I love Planetes.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 13:56   Link #2360
kauldron26
Med Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Yet, you seem to love Planetes which has Tanabe as one of the principal characters. But then again I usually despise sich characters but I love Planetes.
LMAO... that is soooo true... however Tanabe's naivety existed to contrast how dark human relations had become. Her naivety was literally her ignorance and stupidity, it wasnt meant to be preachy or for morale. As a matter of fact all the other characters were as annoyed with her as those of us actually watching the anime. Her naivety was portrayed brilliantly because Hachimaki balanced her perfectly, and he basically said everything we wanted to say to her. Also you will notice that her naivety was also the beginning of her character arc. After her stroke, she wasnt the same person.

In 12 kingdoms, in the beginning, Yoko was arguably the most annoying character in anime history, however it served a purpose to contrast her growth from weakness to WARRIOR QUEEN.

However, Aeru's idealistic perspective on life was like nails on a chalk board, how do u stay annoying and bothersome to someone whose friend just died?? but thats just my interpretation..

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri