AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-01-10, 16:30   Link #1061
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Anyone that hates a form of combat meter probably didn't do much hardcore raiding.
I haven't, no. But I've watched a friend of mine raid without meters and he had no problems maximizing his output whatsoever.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 16:53   Link #1062
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

From my experience, I generally didn't have to worry about people forcing me to get mods, because my guild was so laid back. Surely we weren't the best at raiding, and many of us didn't have top tier gear, but darn it we had fun. I'm not against mods, I like mods, I'm against people who believe that mods make you hardcore, and anyone who doesn't conform to that standard is inferior.

Regarding Rift, as best I can explain it, in the pool of 9 specs you can choose from, you pick 3. However between the 9 specs there are combinations that work better than others. Technically you can pick any 3, but your skill trees wouldn't compliment each other. I only lvled until like 20, so someone else with multiple characters or who reached max could probably explain better.

Oh one more thing what servers are you all on in TOR? Hyperspace Cannon for me.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 18:22   Link #1063
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Rift, in terms of gameplay, is still basically WoW. The systems are all almost identical in style. It was really easy to pick up. Everything even uses the same hotkeys. Only the Rifts (random group events) and the like make it different and more dynamic as places can be overrun, so they have to be defeated or else you cannot continue questing.
Old 2012-01-10, 18:30   Link #1064
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It didn't have enough to keep me enthralled during beta, so I dropped it pretty quickly. Got some friends who are really enjoying it though, and the game is still live so it's not bad.
Old 2012-01-10, 21:18   Link #1065
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I kind of hope DBM style mods don't come to TOR I'd rather people watch the encounter instead. Only things I'd like to see are a few UI changes really.

- Target of Target
- Own debuff emphasis, so you don't confuse your own dots with other players
- Limited form of power aura's, or more obvious audio/visual queues so its more evident when self skills proc (consumption for sorcerers)
- Combat log for POST GAME analysis. But I'm willing to concede for an ingame one if it cannot be linked in chat and doesn't compare you directly to others. Purely for self improvement.
- Ability to move UI frames around the screen, or ability to further customise Operation frame (showing only debuffs and so on)

Other then that I think things are fine and dandy, but I might have forgotten stuff.

Oh, turn off the auto-self cast, it's damn annoying at times.
Old 2012-01-11, 03:22   Link #1066
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Rift, in terms of gameplay, is still basically WoW. The systems are all almost identical in style. It was really easy to pick up. Everything even uses the same hotkeys. Only the Rifts (random group events) and the like make it different and more dynamic as places can be overrun, so they have to be defeated or else you cannot continue questing.
For some reason the more I hear about Rift the more I want to try it out. I only hear high praises about the game. How much is the monthly fee?
Old 2012-01-11, 03:40   Link #1067
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think it depends on how often you pay (montly to every six months I think). I thnk it was between $12 US and $16 US. I'm about to cancel mine because I just don't play games enough anymore to justify the expense.
Old 2012-01-11, 10:17   Link #1068
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Star Wars: The Old Republic Video Game, Review by Game Trailers
Old 2012-01-11, 11:17   Link #1069
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
- Ability to move UI frames around the screen
I don't know about the others but this at least was confirmed last month.
They are working on other UI improvements, but I don't know exactly what.
Old 2012-01-11, 11:38   Link #1070
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I believe I heard talk of combat logs as well.
Old 2012-01-11, 14:12   Link #1071
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

From what I heard, they're trying to get the UI improvements and combat logs into 1.1, which should still be on track for release by the end of the month.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:06   Link #1072
Nixl

Has anyone been following the High texture uproar? I cannot wrap my head around it or BW decision. BW has removed the High texture quality option, while renaming "Medium" texture to High texture to cover up the fact. They say it was for game performance, but isn't resolution handled by the PC and not the servers? Therefore, there is no reason to delete High texture options when people can already set it lower. It does not make much sense to me. Some on the forums are probing whether it was a BS answer by Reid to cover up some other issue. I do not know why they advertised with High textures only to not offer it at all.
Spoiler for The Difference?:

edit 2: Okay, I am shaky on the details, but a consensus is that the game is rendered partly on your computer and partly by the servers. I think it is pure speculation, but some say that it is a means for BW to prevent players from taking textures or changing them. However, this causes a host of performance issues for the reason that not only are the servers performing their normal game functions, but also streaming textures to your computer. Hence, the high texture setting was removed because it was causing even more stress for the servers. This could potentially explain a lot of choices made by BW to work around this anti-theft program. Again, I think this is still speculation at this point.

In essence, to prevent "theft" of textures, BW has some of the textures on the servers, but combined with normal server traffic is causing performance issues.

Last edited by Nixl; 2012-01-11 at 18:49.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:47   Link #1073
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

TL;DR: High level textures made PC's go boom in hubs, so high level textures are reserved for cutscenes, while in gameplay the game renders lower quality textures to make sure PC's don't go boom.
Old 2012-01-11, 18:54   Link #1074
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
TL;DR: High level textures made PC's go boom in hubs, so high level textures are reserved for cutscenes, while in gameplay the game renders lower quality textures to make sure PC's don't go boom.
Pretty much, with the addition that the server also has to make room for remote renders/Anti theft software server side, hence the PC go boom.
Old 2012-01-11, 23:43   Link #1075
Xion Valkyrie

It has to be the remote renders thing, otherwise there's no reason to withhold optional content that you've already put out since some people CAN run it with high res textures.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 03:36   Link #1076
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I find that kind of hard to believe, talk about a massive waste of resources.

I'd say it has something more to do with their auto-detect settings. But if it is because the server is partially rendering then /facepalm.

Really? to stop 'thieving' of textures. That.. could only be aimed at the machinima community if true, because no one else would really want to 'steal' the textures.
Old 2012-01-12, 04:49   Link #1077
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
edit 2: Okay, I am shaky on the details, but a consensus is that the game is rendered partly on your computer and partly by the servers. I think it is pure speculation, but some say that it is a means for BW to prevent players from taking textures or changing them. However, this causes a host of performance issues for the reason that not only are the servers performing their normal game functions, but also streaming textures to your computer. Hence, the high texture setting was removed because it was causing even more stress for the servers. This could potentially explain a lot of choices made by BW to work around this anti-theft program. Again, I think this is still speculation at this point.

In essence, to prevent "theft" of textures, BW has some of the textures on the servers, but combined with normal server traffic is causing performance issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Reid
- We are not using any form of 'remote rendering' as has been suggested in this thread. Nothing is being pushed from 'server farms' or anything similar. The research paper linked to in the original post is not related in any way to any aspect of our game client.

- None of these processes are for copy protection of any kind.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...31#edit1501831

And for high textures:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Reid
That screenshot is from a cinematic in-game. As stated, cinematic scenes use high resolution textures because we have control over how many characters are rendered on-screen at once. This is how the game was always intended to look in cinematics. We did not 'remove' high resolution textures - they were always in the game for use in cinematics.

The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...74#edit1499874

Let's see how this turns out.
Old 2012-01-12, 14:55   Link #1078
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Why Most Of Star Wars: The Old Republic’s Hi-Res Graphics Disappeared at Launch
Old 2012-01-12, 16:07   Link #1079
TiaxZatch

I can't wait til endgame. leveling wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.
TiaxZatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-12, 16:11   Link #1080
Nixl

Not going to lie, that sounds like a load of bull from Reid. Why would it stress the servers instead of the player's pc? He danced around the second exe. that is running simultaneously with the game. If not related to the second exe., why not have the player's character be in high resolution while everything other player/texture be on a lower setting? I just do not follow in this case. Also, the thread I posted was locked with the mod shutting it down since they did not like the speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaxZatch View Post
I can't wait til endgame. leveling wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.
Unless they fixed the surplus of bugs, you may want to take your time. There was a post on the flashpoint forum posted by a Gelopez that did a nice write-up of the problems/bugs, etc.

@Kyral, I saw the response/conclusion to the threads before they were shut down, but I am still left confused about what the second exe. is about then. To be clear, I have no background with PCs, but if not a remote render or an anti-theft program what does the second exe. do?

edit: I realized that it may sound (read?) like I am overreacting, but I am genuinely curious about this issue. That and, speculation threads that the mods disprove of on the official forum are fun in a sense.

Last edited by Nixl; 2012-01-12 at 16:24.

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows