AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-14, 14:59   Link #41
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
For what is a relatively minor portion of the story? where does it stop? two episodes for this, two episodes for that, next thing you know we'd need 50+ episodes just to keep people happy.
Minor portion of the story? How is the introduction of the heroine who is clearly going to be an important and influential figure minor? What about her origin? It adds to her character to know how she was at first, which heavily got axed to the point of the anime viewers not knowing what she's really like.

What would you think if certain elements of Kirito's past in the game were axed? Those aren't any more relevant to the story than Asuna's starying. (which is to say, they're both important)

Alas, that's starting to stretch beyond the anime territory. But either way from a novel or anime PoV, this episode was way too rushed.
Old 2012-07-14, 15:17   Link #42
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Minor portion of the story? How is the introduction of the heroine who is clearly going to be an important and influential figure minor?
Yea, it's such an important part of the story, so important that it wasn't even part of the novel.

Not to say Aria was pointless, but it certainly isn't a key portion of the story.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 15:25   Link #43
larethian

To be honest, I wasn't sure whether doing this in chronological order is really a good idea. So Kawahara sitting in the meetings doesn't necessary mean that everything will go well. This episode is kind of boring to me, and there's hardly any impact...... If I were an anime-only watcher, I might have dropped it already, since I'm not really into MMORPGs and games...... The only thing I care about SAO are the characters and the psychological aspects...... Well, not that I care much about the anime anyway (*goes back to reading v10 ).
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 15:33   Link #44
Deltaray

It's still pretty good episode, even if they did cut alot from it, but that was kinda expected anyway, most of Aria was pretty pointless to turn into anime anyway.

Glad they still kept main points from that short story, Beater, which is probably one of the most important things in this setting, and they did do it pretty good too. And they even kept Kibaou's kansai dialect.

And dam I like Agil's voice now :c

Not the same perfect episode like the first one was, but it definitely wasn't bad.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 15:39   Link #45
bludvein

Sure some things were cut, but I think you all are exaggerating the impact of those scenes.
Spoiler for comparison to the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-14 at 23:06.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 15:41   Link #46
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
Sure some things were cut, but I think you all are exaggerating the impact of those scenes.
Spoiler for comparison to the novels:
............I've only seen one or two people saying anything about either of those two scenes, let alone that they miss them.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-14 at 23:07.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:11   Link #47
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Kiribao is such a douch, hate him a bit...not as much as some other guy but still.

Anyways KIRIASU ENDING I LUVZ U. <3

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:17   Link #48
Avaricia
My Lord

No Rat Scene and the Bath scene.. but still it's better because of the 6 minute non stop battle
Avaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:21   Link #49
tsunade666

Spoiler for Comparison of current episode to the novel:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-14 at 22:27.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:23   Link #50
OPN

Wow this episode was rushed as hell. Have to say but i think the entire boss fight was ruined and removed a lot of what made aria so good in the first place. I seriously hope the rest of the series is not as rushed as this episode was.
Old 2012-07-14, 16:23   Link #51
kyp275
Meh

Sounds to me like people want them to adapt EVERYTHING.

It's never going to happen, in ANY adaptation, that is the very nature of adaptations, deal with it.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:26   Link #52
Arkard

Rather then what was cut out, what bothered me was the number of stills during the boss fight.
Arkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:27   Link #53
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkard View Post
Rather then what was cut out, what bothered me was the number of stills during the boss fight.
well probably be fix in the BD, most likely they spend too much money on ep1.
Old 2012-07-14, 16:30   Link #54
Zakoo

A lot of things changed since the première, for the best, pfou I'm glad I watched it.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:37   Link #55
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
A lot of things changed since the première, for the best, pfou I'm glad I watched it.
For the best? Really? That's a little surprising to hear..

Would you mind telling us what exactly got changed?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:43   Link #56
dark998

Can't stop watching the episode starting when they enter the Kobold King's lair up to its defeat. That whole segment is filled with great music and animation (and yes, some still shots and speedlines to save budget). And with Kirito earning his black coat SAO has finally started, now it's time to get that black sword as well to complete the set.

Asuna is delicious and, not being familar with the source material apparently a fanservice scene was omitted? They better fix that later...

EDIT: Oh, the ED song/video is just ok. Nothing special.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:44   Link #57
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

a rather iffy episode compared to the first.

Did Kirito act like villainy as a way to unite the rest of the players? Or just so none of the other players would bother him since he's more of a solo guy? It wasn't really properly explained or done well.

Also, Asuna's dumb gamer girl thing didn't exactly mesh well. You really didn't notice that party members names were in the upper left? You ever play any online games before? da fuq...SAO was supposed to be a very prestigious and limited MMO that probably only core gamers would get. Yet, Asuna seems like a total noobie, besides her "sword skillz".

Also, Asuna acting like cold and silent the entire episode, and then all of a sudden goes dere dere at the very end? HUH?!

This episode was really wacky..
Old 2012-07-14, 16:48   Link #58
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger View Post
Also, Asuna acting like cold and silent the entire episode, and then all of a sudden goes dere dere at the very end? HUH?!

This episode was really wacky..
Another one of the problems that wouldn't have existed (or at the very least would have been significantly reduced) if the episode wasn't crunched down.
Old 2012-07-14, 16:48   Link #59
james0246

Not quite as good as the first episode, but for a sophomore slump inconvenienced with minor pacing problems, it was still strong. Pacing problems aside, I really liked the continued world building (the guide book is a nice touch, and I still love the menu system as a plot device), I also like the continued development of Kirito and the introduction of new characters was pretty good (I have no idea what the 'rat' or a sauna scene are, nor do I really care (and I'm currently debating whether I should even allow such discussion)). The fight scene was also well done (great music, in fact the incidental music is overall quite good, even if I don't necessarily the the OP/ED) and the continued tension of the possibility of death still feels relevant and always present.

All in all, strong episode that works well off of the great premier, even if it is a bit muddled. Can't wait to see what happens next. 8/10.

p.s. what is an "Aria" in the context of this show?
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:50   Link #60
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I also like the continued development of Kirito and the introduction of new characters was pretty good (I have no idea what the 'rat' or a sauna scene are, nor do I really care (and I'm currently debating whether I should even allow such discussion)).
Talking about specific scenes may be going a bit far, but it should be okay to talk about the crunching and pacing problems.

Quote:
p.s. what is an "Aria" in the context of this show?
It's the name of the novel side story that this episode is (not-terribly-awesomely) based on.

Tags
weekly episode discussion