AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2012-09-11, 06:01   Link #1
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

[Manga] Naruto Chapter 601 Discussion Thread

Welcome to the weekly manga chapter discussion thread. This thread is created early to discuss spoilers and speculation about the upcoming chapter as well as discussion of said chapter once it has been released.

As per the forums rules, please don't ask for or mention about where to download the (licensed) manga. Also remember not to post or link to any translations of the manga, since this is illegal as well. Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome) but please do not discuss scans, raws, translation groups, etc. Additionally, if you are posting someone else's synopsis (or their translation of a synopsis), then please provide credit were credit is due.

Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This stands for pictures and direct translations. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK as well if you want to illustrate your point but this is it.
Old 2012-09-11, 06:05   Link #2
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

my only thoughts right now is Tsunade will die for the sake of making the 6th Hokage position vacant.... drats!!! and from the looks of things that means Naruto will be the 6th Hokage to have some random connection with the Sage of the Sixth Path... i now wonder if number 6 means something more interesting on Japanese mythology
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 06:15   Link #3
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
I just read the chapter.

I think by now it is pretty save to assume that both Madara and Obito are/were Tobi. Obito continued what Madara did, because Madara was about to die. Since he needed somebody to continue his work, he entrusted his will to the young boy and made the necessary arrangements to be resurrected at some point in the future. When Obito said that he gave the Rinnegan to Nagato, he was partially right, because it was in fact Madara, who, together with Obito had become Tobi. That means that the story does not need time travel to fill the supposed plot holes that some people think they've found. It makes perfect sense this way. The only question remaining is whether Minato was fighting Madara or Obito. I personally don't believe that it was Madara, though. I doubt he would have been that agile with this old body of his that we see on the last page of the chapter. And this specific panel actually takes place a few years before the fight. However, as james0246 has pointed out a number of times, it wouldn't be anything unheard of in the Narutoverse for characters to gain a tremendous rise in power in just a few years, especially with Madara as your mentor and the Sharingan obviously. So it was probably Obito who fought Minato.

Aside from that, I'm having trouble believing that Madara is/was completely honest with Obito about the idea behind the Moon's Eye plan. I highly doubt that somebody as sinister as him would care about fake world peace. This is probably just his own little mind game to prove to the first hokage that the uchiha were superior all along. 'You can have Konoha, but I'll take the world' - something along that line. He probably used Obito's suffering over Rin's death to gain a follower with the same goal, albeit for a different and in some way even noble reason. Because of this, I think that Madara will have to betray Obito at some point.

/edit:

Very good chapter by the way. Tsunade ... that's some dark stuff. I didn't expect that kind of explicitness and felt really weird for a moment or two.

Last edited by ZGoten; 2012-09-11 at 07:18.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 06:33   Link #4
Casshern

I don't get it. Katsuyu can easily fix Tsunade but only Tsunade can heal the other kage? Seems like a contrived way to kill off Tsunade.

I liked the level of familiarity between Obito and Madara, how Madara seems to have some faith in Obito, and especially their first meeting at the end of the chapter. Hopefully the next chapter will fill in the blanks about Tobi's history.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 06:40   Link #5
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Katsuyu: Holy shit dawg, yo ass got cut in half!
Tsunade: Ya'll never mind that shit, bring them other kage here so I can heal their punk asses.
The backscratcher makes a comeback, better than ever.
Old 2012-09-11, 06:42   Link #6
ronin myael
lost ronin

aside from tsunade being sliced in half, kishi hasn't really given us anything new in this chapter. he basically just confirmed what we already know. the kage were defeated, obito and madara know each other and planned the whole thing, madara was supposed to be raised by nagato using the rinnegan and that obito was saved by madara and somehow corrupted. kishi does know how to stall, doesn't he?
Old 2012-09-11, 06:54   Link #7
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

so from the looks of this image below that means Obito is the one that fought the 4th Hokage in the past?

j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 06:55   Link #8
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Um so Uchiha get their own after life chillax zone? Like some kind of purgatory?
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 07:06   Link #9
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Amazing chapter imo.

Confirmed a lot for me. Obv Madara saved Obito, and trained him in the arts of the Sharingan/Rinnagan etc. Then after passing Obito continued Madara's work collecting the tailed beasts and recruiting members for Ataksuki ready for Madara to be revived in the future when his plan was rtg.

However, Madara has been awaken too early. By now Madara expected Nagato to still be alive, and all the tailed beasts to be captured.

Although Madara does seem to have some faith in Obito I agree, that he is also just a pawn in Madara's overall plan.

The Kage got owned there is no way Tsunade can survive this.

I suspect Oro knows all of Madara's plan and is about to explain all to Sasuke. Who will eventually team up with Naruto to defeat Madara. However, this would mean no Sas x Naru fight...
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 07:44   Link #10
Tachibana
タチバナ

I pray Tsunade survives, I'm not a fan of seeing women sliced in half, it's just too cruel...
Old 2012-09-11, 07:44   Link #11
Luminion Lancer
Time-diver

I...can't believe what I am seeing. Tsunade got split in half. Quite unfitting of the other Sannin. Jiraiya died an epic battle against Pain and held his own for a while. Even despite his most recent revival, Orochimaru "died" in a decent enough fight against Itachi. Tsunade though, gets ripped in half off-screen.

Well I suppose this leaves Madara with something to taunt Naruto and B with, ultimately causing his downfall. Though, Naruto didn't even scratch him here so how's he gonna survive this?
Old 2012-09-11, 07:51   Link #12
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I'm still sure Obito was brainwashed by Madara...
He was saved by old Madara... then planning the war together before Madara passed away

and that's also explained why Obito received Kabuto's offer...
I think if Kabuto didn't revive Madara using edo-tensei, Obito will use himself to use that Rinnegan path to revive Madara

Highlight of the chapter : Kages in critical condition.... (noo!! Gaara!!)
Tsunade is splitting into two parts... ;__; (and still alive... wtf!)

as expected, Obito vs Kakashi is the next!
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 07:57   Link #13
Teru987

So is kishi even writing it anymore or is he letting the fans write it now. At least he could have killed the kages on screen then left.
Teru987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 08:17   Link #14
Nintendo
start thinkin bout clones

Send a message via AIM to Nintendo
what a crazy ass chapter. he cut tsunade in half and then dropped a tree on her for good measure.

where is narutos original body if he was a clone this whole time?

poor obito, saved by an old dying madara and joined forces because of it. back story time, one of the few times I cant wait to see a flashback.
Old 2012-09-11, 08:28   Link #15
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
Tsunade is splitting into two parts... ;__; (and still alive... wtf!)
Actually not uncommon, even in real life. If you get split in half by something(example, car hits you into something and basically just crushes you down the middle like if you gripped a banana too hard), as long as that something stays there to prevent massive bloodloss, you'll be able to live for a while (don't recall exact time, but I think it's a few hours) until it's removed.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 08:55   Link #16
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
I think by now it is pretty save to assume that both Madara and Obito are/were Tobi.
The last page of this chapter seems to me a pretty solid nail into the coffin of this theory.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 09:10   Link #17
james0246

I don't understand all the fuss over the Kage scene. Whether we saw the fight or not, that was the inevitable conclusion. They needed to be defeated for the story to progress. (I am also unclear as to how her body was dissected; if a tree fell on her, then he lower half would simply have been crushed, but instead the tree seems to be separating her two halves...it's a little weird).

That being said, seeing Obito all messed up was quite nice. Not quite sure how old Madara fits into everything (specifically, the timeline, not his relevancy to Obito or the story), but I can't wait to see their flashback next chapter. And Obito vs. Kakashi should be okay...

And, of course, Naruto multi-tasking is always fun .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 09:25   Link #18
Luminion Lancer
Time-diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I don't understand all the fuss over the Kage scene. Whether we saw the fight or not, that was the inevitable conclusion. They needed to be defeated for the story to progress. (I am also unclear as to how her body was dissected; if a tree fell on her, then he lower half would simply have been crushed, but instead the tree seems to be separating her two halves...it's a little weird).
In my case, it is simply because we didn't get a chance to see how it went down. I mean, the Kages were soundly thrashed and Tsunade was ripped in half...all off-screen. It is in the same vein as when Kakashi took Zabuza's sword, claimed that he was going on a rampage...and then we never see him do it but we know he must have done something since he was there to help Naruto.

Oh as for the tree, it is basically acting as a censor. You can see it casting a shadow large enough to indicate that the tree's body is above to where Tsunade's body is split. Why Kishimoto decided to censor this is beyond me since I recall back in the Zabuza arc where he had Inari's surrogate father crucified and arms amputated shown on full display but, details.
Old 2012-09-11, 09:29   Link #19
WONDERMIKE
kanpai!

Send a message via ICQ to WONDERMIKE
I am mainly interested in this "after death waiting room". Also, how exactly does Edo Tensei work? The revived Madara is way younger than the Madara from the flashback.
Old 2012-09-11, 09:37   Link #20
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
aside from tsunade being sliced in half, kishi hasn't really given us anything new in this chapter. he basically just confirmed what we already know. the kage were defeated, obito and madara know each other and planned the whole thing, madara was supposed to be raised by nagato using the rinnegan and that obito was saved by madara and somehow corrupted. kishi does know how to stall, doesn't he?
stall? we already knew this stuff? maybe you should go back and reread some recent chapter threads. most posters have been denying these outcomes up until this point. this chapter makes a bunch of revelations and confirmations and begins a backstory that already looks awesome in just a couple panels.

I think this chapter was great. i also think this storyline makes the most sense and is the least convoluted of all the other possible options presented in theories in the past. i'm glad long haired tobi was madara. that makes more sense to me than it being obito too. i really can't wait to see how it all fits together and what old madara did exactly before his death.

another revelation is that i was probably right that madara transplanted some other uchiha's sharingans after he gave nagato his rinnegan. that or they are in this weird limbo that restores sharingans? but it didnt make him younger. i guess first off, i'd like to know where they are exactly lol
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote