AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-08-07, 11:02   Link #141
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
can't.see.the.pics ;_;
Then just look at this blog link. It'll give you the same info. (It's just in Japanese.)

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/katsu666/e/4d3...c6ba1802941be2
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 11:46   Link #142
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalicious View Post
Okay, but it's actually about future episodes past 19...

Spoiler for Episodes 20-23, manga spoilers as well.:
Spoiler for Adding on:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 12:30   Link #143
Bambi

Maybe you should post this translation (in spoiler tag) to anime thread too, it's information about anime. I already mentioned this scan here so you can continue
Old 2009-08-07, 13:10   Link #144
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Hahaha. As soon as I heard the rule about rinshan kaihou, I KNEW it was going to come up somewhere.

As for Saki, if she can do it, why not? It's a pretty unique play style and very hard to defend against.
Old 2009-08-07, 13:58   Link #145
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Personally I hate it. It is totally hack luck based, and abuses the protagonist advantage to no end. At least with Akagi you could see the reasoning, the mental manipulations going on behind his every move. Even though there were many instances were luck favored him he was never a one trick phony, always adapting to the situation at hand. Maybe that's why I find Yumi's character more compelling than her table companions.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 17:51   Link #146
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Here's a couple more blogs of c52, with more pictures. (And a cover of an Ikeda doujin. Poor Ikeda. Everyone loves to see her get beat up, it seems.)

http://u7se1218.cocolog-nifty.com/bl...8/-s-05d5.html
http://beatarai.blog90.fc2.com/blog-entry-1490.html

As much as I like Saki as a character, I prefer Nodoka's and Yumi's playing styles, because they're more grounded in reality. (And wouldn't make a statistician drink drain cleaner.)

I also like Hisa's style, because it's based on screwing with the minds of everyone at the table. If you look at the stats of everyone in the tournament, Fukuji did the best overall with +42,000, but Hisa was right there with +39,100 in second place. (And Hisa didn't have the "All-Seeing Eye.")

She just picked bad waits, got a little lucky, and suckered in poor lil' first-year Bundou-san into going for it at every bad opportunity.

Last edited by cynicalicious; 2009-08-07 at 20:04.
Old 2009-08-07, 18:42   Link #147
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Personally I hate it. It is totally hack luck based, and abuses the protagonist advantage to no end. At least with Akagi you could see the reasoning, the mental manipulations going on behind his every move. Even though there were many instances were luck favored him he was never a one trick phony, always adapting to the situation at hand. Maybe that's why I find Yumi's character more compelling than her table companions.
Kana plays pretty normally too. She's just good at working her hands around doras.

As for hack luck based, we knew since ep. 4 that Saki knows all the tiles in the dead wall just as Koromo knows the last tile in the wall.

I'm just wondering how people can have yakuman specialties... Maybe they know where the terminal and honors are in a wall?
Old 2009-08-07, 20:19   Link #148
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
That's why Saki and Koromo are class "monsters".
Old 2009-08-07, 20:21   Link #149
Proto

That's no monster. That's just ridding the game

Quote:
Kana plays pretty normally too. She's just good at working her hands around doras.
Yeah but she's the type that just worries about making her hand while avoiding playing into other hands, which leaves out much of the psychological aspect of the game. As Akagi himself said, Mahjong isn't about having big hands or having many points, but about taking those points from your opponents.
Old 2009-08-07, 20:55   Link #150
metronome
Mad Loli

now I know how to watch this already:
once u reach round 5, always expect the impossible, eg yakuman 10 times etc:P.

I think beside saki, koromo, and that invisible girl, others playstyle/abilities could happen in real life for now.
even that invisible girl is actually kind of true too in real game, sometimes u play for long time and u ignore someone's presence, especially if that guy always throw something useless, it happens more often after u play like 6+ hours mahjong (but of course not as exagerrated like in this story)
metronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 19:04   Link #151
metronome
Mad Loli

Watched ep 19

Spoiler:
metronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 19:41   Link #152
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by metronome View Post
Watched ep 19
Spoiler:
She was one tile away from tenpai, she lacked one of winds too.

Anyway, bah, looks like all Japanese with scanner and internet connection are on holidays
Old 2009-08-10, 09:11   Link #153
Peanutbutter

An interesting tidbit I picked up on Baidu:

Spoiler for Ryuumonbuchi's performance in the previous year's national championships:
Old 2009-08-10, 09:22   Link #154
Proto

It might also be interesting to see how didd Kazekoshi performed there too, though having that tidbit of information is useful. Thanks, pB!
Old 2009-08-10, 17:46   Link #155
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
An interesting tidbit I picked up on Baidu:

Spoiler for Ryuumonbuchi's performance in the previous year's national championships:
Yup. Kagoshima's Jindai was listed as a monster in ep. 4 by Fujita-pro. Her shadow also pops up in ep. 11 or so when Hisa has a flashback to her talk with Haramura on certain monstrous players.

Whoo. That's interesting! Guess Jindai will be a mini-boss before the final boss of Teru.
Old 2009-08-10, 18:37   Link #156
Proto

Personally I would prefer them to be at the finals as well. Saki is fun because it is an ffa instead of the cliched to death anime 1v1.
Old 2009-08-11, 00:19   Link #157
Peanutbutter

Finally I got my hands on a chinese translated Ch 52, thanks to the translator I've been keeping an eye on. Damn, his work is fast.

Spoiler for image:
Old 2009-08-11, 00:21   Link #158
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Raw's out as well. Finally.

Not much to see, really... well, I'll take that back for one thing-- Saki isn't grinning like an idiot in every panel like she does in the anime. She has a good game face on pages 12-13.
Old 2009-08-11, 02:44   Link #159
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalicious View Post
Raw's out as well. Finally.

Not much to see, really... well, I'll take that back for one thing-- Saki isn't grinning like an idiot in every panel like she does in the anime. She has a good game face on pages 12-13.
X________________

The seriousness of Saki's game face in that page makes it more dramatic similar to ep. 18 as opposed to, well, the anime in ep. 19. The anime made me laugh though mainly because Saki looks like she took the wrong turn and it's a mahou shoujo reveal scene slashed with a demented mahjong demon face. Makes her look like a psycho axe murderer except instead of killing people, she kills mahjong players' dreams. With a smile.
Old 2009-08-11, 03:47   Link #160
Bambi

My thoughts, they overdone it way too much in anime.

I hope manga will now focus on some aftermath instead of sweat things like anime. I'll welcome some decent ceremony (wtf was that in anime) and I don't believe journalists will leave them without word .... but maybe I'm hopeless optimist.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri