AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-01-09, 09:30   Link #301
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

That the DSi still sold loads despite its bad battery life doesn't make it acceptable. It wasn't exactly a new system either.

The DS not good for hardcore gaming? I beg to differ. Its battery life is sufficient for that. The PSP's, however, is not, so I wonder why you think that one is good for hardcore gaming.
Old 2011-01-09, 19:18   Link #302
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
make me wonder they reason that they chose worse battery is because of to make cost down that still bit pricey
What? Worse battery? You do know the 3DS' battery is 1300 mAh, 55% larger than DSi's battery, right? The 3DS doesn't look like it's powerful enough to emulate DS and DSi games by software, so battery life for DS/DSi games should be higher than what was given. I suspect either:

1. the numbers are estimates for when using the highest brightness settings,

2. the numbers are if the internet settings are enabled, or

3. the 3DS has an actual OS that's still in use even when playing DS/DSi games (though this one would be weird, since I'd imagine they'd have made the OS not take up so much power).

Having a battery that's larger than the DSi's but has less time when playing the same games? That just doesn't make sense.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 19:37   Link #303
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Video Lineup Software :

Check here http://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo3DSItalia for more videos.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 19:46   Link #304
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
What? Worse battery? You do know the 3DS' battery is 1300 mAh, 55% larger than DSi's battery, right? The 3DS doesn't look like it's powerful enough to emulate DS and DSi games by software, so battery life for DS/DSi games should be higher than what was given. I suspect either:

1. the numbers are estimates for when using the highest brightness settings,

2. the numbers are if the internet settings are enabled, or

3. the 3DS has an actual OS that's still in use even when playing DS/DSi games (though this one would be weird, since I'd imagine they'd have made the OS not take up so much power).

Having a battery that's larger than the DSi's but has less time when playing the same games? That just doesn't make sense.
Nintendo have habit to say they battery life on lowest brightness setting (or second lowest anyway) beside why want you to attract customer with they lowest battery lifespan

Internet probably have larger effect on the battery.

my suspect is probably the 3d screen. however they is report that it effect game performance as whole. so probably instead sacrifice the battery life they sacrifice the performance

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/58574/

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 19:47   Link #305
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

The games look phenomenal!

Was that Tales of the Abyss remake? :O
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 20:13   Link #306
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Nintendo have habit to say they battery life on lowest brightness setting (or second lowest anyway) beside why want you to attract customer with they lowest battery lifespan[/url]
I've paid attention to every handheld launch and I'm pretty sure Nintendo goes with the lowball, full setting estimate. Damned if I know why. Maybe they don't want to deal with calls from customers about why it's not longer than advertised when used at the highest settings and with everything on. You're talking about the same company who put the communication distance of the original DS at a much lower number than its maximum and never fully reveals the specs on their products.
Old 2011-01-09, 20:24   Link #307
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
I've paid attention to every handheld launch and I'm pretty sure Nintendo goes with the lowball, full setting estimate. Damned if I know why. Maybe they don't want to deal with calls from customers about why it's not longer than advertised when used at the highest settings and with everything on. You're talking about the same company who put the communication distance of the original DS at a much lower number than its maximum and never fully reveals the specs on their products.
i never heard that they advertising DSi as 3-4 hour battery life

but seriously 3DS have worse battery among other DS. 3.5h charge for 5-8 hours of ORIGINAL DS title and 3-5 of 3DS game

for comparison

DS is 10 to 14 hours, DS Lite 15 to 19 hours, DSi 9 to 14 hours, and DSi XL 13 to 17

Last edited by RRW; 2011-01-09 at 20:36.
Old 2011-01-09, 20:56   Link #308
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Okay, the Gameplay of Metal Gear Solid 3DS seems to be intact enough....

But I REALLY hope the voice acting and the video scenes stay, as oppose to the crappy "1960's Fritz the Cat Black and White Underground Comic" style of narration that took its place in the PSP adaptations.... ESPECIALLY for the Heartbreaking Finale.
Old 2011-01-09, 21:03   Link #309
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
i never heard that they advertising DSi as 3-4 hour battery life
You don't remember the first announcements that the DSi was going to have a 3-4 hour battery life without informing at what setting was being used? And I'm talking about initial announcements, not the eventual advertising. There wouldn't be as much debate or complaints if the initial announcements did indicate the actual settings.
Old 2011-01-09, 21:29   Link #310
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
You don't remember the first announcements that the DSi was going to have a 3-4 hour battery life without informing at what setting was being used? And I'm talking about initial announcements, not the eventual advertising. There wouldn't be as much debate or complaints if the initial announcements did indicate the actual settings.
isn't that the rumor before the announcement? because what i remember is that they announced 3-4 hour on full setting and maximum of 9-14 hour of playing.

anyway. 3DS battery information is official since is form nintendo website

here they Japanese word form official websites.feel free to translate if actually rumor is wrong

ニンテンドー3DSソフトをプレイする場合・・・・・約3時間~5時間
ニンテンドーDSソフトをプレイする場合・・・・・・約5時間~8時間
※画面の明るさによってバッテリー持続時間が変わります。
※バッテリー持続時間は目安です。使用状況によって短くなることがあります

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/spec/index.html

Old 2011-01-09, 21:49   Link #311
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
The games look phenomenal!

Was that Tales of the Abyss remake? :O
Yes , i was surprised too

Professor Layton looks sweet
Old 2011-01-09, 23:16   Link #312
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
isn't that the rumor before the announcement? because what i remember is that they announced 3-4 hour on full setting and maximum of 9-14 hour of playing.

anyway. 3DS battery information is official since is form nintendo website

here they Japanese word form official websites.feel free to translate if actually rumor is wrong

ニンテンドー3DSソフトをプレイする場合・・・・・約3時間~5時間
ニンテンドーDSソフトをプレイする場合・・・・・・約5時間~8時間
※画面の明るさによってバッテリー持続時間が変わります。
※バッテリー持続時間は目安です。使用状況によって短くなることがあります

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/spec/index.html
※画面の明るさによってバッテリー持続時間が変わります
The battery life varies depending on the brightness of the screen ※.

Now, they are not saying the 3-5 hours is the max brightness or the dimmest brightness.
Old 2011-01-10, 00:08   Link #313
paladinenvec

The games look sweet, Specially Street Fighter 3DS, RE: Revelations and Metal Gear, and about the battery life well i'll will check the reviews of the handset when it comes if the battery life it's ok then i'll buy it right away if it's too low i'll wait until the next version next the year (assuming that nintendo makes upgraded versions of the handheld quite fast).
paladinenvec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 19:30   Link #314
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Well in any event, we're all just going to have to wait and see about battery life. I'd rather save my complaining when we have more specific info.

So what are everyone's thoughts on the Game Coins pedometer? Supposedly the more you walk with the 3DS, the more coins you get to unlock rewards on games, with the function working on all games. Street Pass is also to be tied to this. Now, assuming this was all true, this is a really clever and forward-thinking move on Nintendo's part. You've pretty much got a way for a lot of people who don't like achievements to do them and to get rewards, plus it ties the device to a more healthy lifestyle, which is pretty damn good marketing.
Old 2011-01-10, 19:32   Link #315
GDB

Quote:
So what are everyone's thoughts on the Game Coins pedometer? Supposedly the more you walk with the 3DS, the more coins you get to unlock rewards on games, with the function working on all games. Street Pass is also to be tied to this. Now, assuming this was all true, this is a really clever and forward-thinking move on Nintendo's part. You've pretty much got a way for a lot of people who don't like achievements to do them and to get rewards, plus it ties the device to a more healthy lifestyle, which is pretty damn good marketing.
I had not heard of this. Is it the only way to unlock these things, or just an alternate route compared to in-game unlocking? If it's the only way, it's pretty much the nail in the coffin for me getting this.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 22:05   Link #316
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Wow, a fatso like me will finally be getting thin!!
Old 2011-01-11, 13:45   Link #317
Sides

Region Locked confirmed?
Looks like it. Just check everyone's favourite gaming forum, neogaf, and it looks like it will be locked for 3DS and DSi software and of course DSi/3DS shop. That is a brummer, looks like i might end up with 2 3DS. As for people saying, hack it or let homebrew will solve it, i don't think the DSi and DSi software were ever hacked to make them region free, unlike the Wii the DSi and possible 3DS are/will be much more secure.
Really hope nintendo will changed their minds, at least for retail 3DS games.

As for battery, i reckon a revision will mean that the size of the 3DS will increase, to occupy a higher capacity battery. At the moment i cannot see a 3DS lite, unless battery technology advances fast in the next few months, 3DS LL/XL is more likely.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 14:16   Link #318
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Ok region locked = won't buy it sorry , except if all games will find a publisher which is impossible.
Better have to change it. If not , then , check PSP2.
Old 2011-01-11, 15:55   Link #319
kyouray
2D > 3D

That'd be the straw that broke the camel's back...
Old 2011-01-11, 16:07   Link #320
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I had not heard of this. Is it the only way to unlock these things, or just an alternate route compared to in-game unlocking? If it's the only way, it's pretty much the nail in the coffin for me getting this.
If it's true that it's going to be being found in all games, I doubt it's going to be the only way to unlock stuff. Besides, what do you have against a bit of exercise?

Bummer about region locking. Oh well. I'll just have to buy a Japanese 3DS.

Tags
3ds, dsi, nintendo, nintendo 3ds, nintendo ds