AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2012-04-03, 06:28   Link #161
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
When was the last time we have seen anime that gives accents to foreign nationalities, though?
I remember 4kids gave a Chinese character in Shaman King a British accent
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:35   Link #162
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I remember 4kids gave a Chinese character in Shaman King a British accent
What.

But given Index's number of British characters, I'm not sure if they're going to give them accents, and even if they do, it might come out awkward.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 20:01   Link #163
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
What.

But given Index's number of British characters, I'm not sure if they're going to give them accents, and even if they do, it might come out awkward.
Mostly likely some of the characters (like Index) will be given British accents in the dub. Since we're talking about Funimation, they like to play around with accents a lot like Hetalia, Black Butler, and Baccano!, which is why some Los Angeles based voice actors who once worked with Funimation (Vic Mignogna, Laura Bailey, Kyle Hebert, and Troy Baker) have wide vocal ranges. Thus being said, it would really interesting to try to pull a British accent and be cutesy at the same time for Index (if it's too difficult for the accent, Funimation may go for the emotional appeal of the character instead).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
I wonder if they'll give Styl a British accent?
If you know my choice, Steve Blum, he IS the man of a thousand voices in anime. If they want Stiyl to have a British accent AND baritone at the same time, he can do it.
Dark Paladin X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 20:27   Link #164
judasmartel
*Author

Given that the Anime only covers material up to the AC Invasion Arc, I can imagine Funi giving Index, Stiyl, and Laura Stuart British accents since they're the only British characters up to that arc IIRC. The bulk of Brits in the series only comes in by the English Civil War Arc, which has not yet been animated.

But yes, I agree that Index would be nigh-difficult to give her an accent while still making her cutesy. Jessie Cave's performance in the Harry Potter films comes into mind.
Old 2012-04-03, 21:07   Link #165
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Erm, I thought only the first season was licensed? So thats only up to the Imaginary Number.

British characters - Index, Stiyl, Aleister, Sherry, Laura only appeared for 10seconds at the end though.

Then there's also one Russian character, and I think the Alchemist was Italian.
Old 2012-04-03, 22:26   Link #166
judasmartel
*Author

But Sherry is part-Jewish, yeah? Oh, never mind.

Spoiler for Ah, Russians Misha Croitsef and Vasilisa:

Erm, I actually thought both seasons were licensed, but then I remembered it was actually Railgun that was licensed. Not that I'm interested with the Railgun Anime, anyways, unless Mikoto POV!Sisters Arc and the Queen comes out animated.

I'm more interested at how they are going to handle Kuroko and Accelerator, though. Unless JYB is casted as Accel, that is.
Old 2012-04-03, 23:07   Link #167
Dark Paladin X

Quote:

But yes, I agree that Index would be nigh-difficult to give her an accent while still making her cutesy. Jessie Cave's performance in the Harry Potter films comes into mind.
It actually took me several revisions to land with Alexis Tipton because she's kind of the person who is typecast into cutesy and badass type characters. I'm pretty sure she voiced a character with a British accent, but can't remember.

Speaking of which, I did thought up of Aaron Dismuke voicing Touma, would you guys suggest him, Joel McDonald, or someone else?
Dark Paladin X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 23:22   Link #168
judasmartel
*Author

How about Julie Lemieux (Runo Misaki, Bakugan) as Index? Touma, I really can't think of anyone else but Vic Mignogna, Yuri Lowenthal, or JYB (though most people would agree JYB should be Accelerator).
Old 2012-04-04, 12:15   Link #169
hao-sama

Send a message via MSN to hao-sama Send a message via Yahoo to hao-sama
been thinking about which seiyuu i want to play which roles, and here's what i got so far:

Quote:
Suwabe Junichi - Kakine Teitoku (i totally thought of his voice when i was reading volume 15 for the first time, i only just realized which seiyuu he was lol)
Horie Yui - Lessar
Sawashiro Miyuki - Misaka Worst
Ono Daisuke - Fiamma of the Right
anyway, thoughts?
Old 2012-04-04, 13:23   Link #170
hinakatbklyn

While waiting for Index/Railgun to be released with a dub, here's my latest attempt at dub predictions, (at least those who worked on a funimation dub in the past with previous roles as reference for some):

Spoiler for Dub Predictions:

Spoiler for Recent attempt at a british dub in Infinite Stratos:
Old 2012-04-04, 14:21   Link #171
judasmartel
*Author

I think I'm sold on Alexis Tipton as Index just in case Monica Rial isn't casted as her.
Old 2012-04-11, 07:07   Link #172
judasmartel
*Author

Say, somebody posted about getting flak for suggesting JYB as Accelerator in another forum, I can't remember who, but why that? Is it because the fans there want JYB to be Touma? But if JYB can't be Accel, then who?
Old 2012-04-26, 03:49   Link #173
judasmartel
*Author

Say, guys, I was watching the Korean dub. My observations:

* Touma was too deep, but HOLY SHIT his laugh vs Aureolus was even scarier than in the original!
* Goodness, they got Mikoto perfectly!

Last edited by judasmartel; 2012-04-26 at 03:59.
Old 2012-04-26, 06:14   Link #174
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

...There's a Korean dub?
Old 2012-04-26, 06:25   Link #175
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
...There's a Korean dub?
Yep. I thought it wasn't true, but MAL posted Korean VA's on TAMNI's character tab, so I checked it out.

The first one I found was the scene depicting Izzard's defeat. Then I found a site called daum.net, then copy-pasted this phrase into the search text box:

어떤 마술의 금서목록 더빙 X화

Replace X with the episode number.

More observations:

* Index seems to be livelier and more mature than the original one.
* Touma sure is a bit deeper, but they got his everyman appeal very well.
Old 2012-04-26, 10:18   Link #176
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Yep. I thought it wasn't true, but MAL posted Korean VA's on TAMNI's character tab, so I checked it out.

The first one I found was the scene depicting Izzard's defeat. Then I found a site called daum.net, then copy-pasted this phrase into the search text box:

어떤 마술의 금서목록 더빙 X화

Replace X with the episode number.

More observations:

* Index seems to be livelier and more mature than the original one.
* Touma sure is a bit deeper, but they got his everyman appeal very well.
Damn it Koreans stop making things better... or worse ... j/k

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 10:47   Link #177
Sumeragi
Banned

Interestingly enough, Koreans hate the dubs. Probably because the same old voices had been used for so long.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 16:33   Link #178
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Nah, it's just human instinct to hate dubs (lol)... Especially if you have been exposed to the original.

Hmmm, makes me interested in looking for a Chinese dub of the series... That's gotten be fun.
Old 2012-04-26, 18:56   Link #179
leukrota

Well, if you ask me and without trying to offend anyone, I think dubs are almost always inferior.

First, there's always something lost in translation. I know this applies to subs too, but with the audio still there, the audience can get extra info according to the proficiency level that each person has on the original language.

Also, the original director supervises (or at least approves) the acting for the characters, and even when he's not the original author at least he controls the production to fit an unified vision. A second director won't have the same vision and thus will add dissonance through the dubbing, how much or how little will depend on how good he/she understands the source, but there will always be some at least... I sometimes wonder for some dubs if there was even a director supervising the dubbing.

Furthermore, a voice actor will obviously understand their own culture better than other cultures, so said VA will have an advantage dubbing something produced in his/her own country in contrast to something produced elsewhere.

So adding it up, it's a lot harder to make a translation dub than an original one.
leukrota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 20:16   Link #180
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote