AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-02-04, 21:26   Link #141
Divinegundam

i must say i get the Wing feel on 00 but i didn't like wing at all. All the charater were...well lets say had to many issues. In the attempt to make them life like they all became whining little brats that couldn't put their foot in a shoe without a entire episode of the what if's.
Divinegundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 08:52   Link #142
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinegundam View Post
i must say i get the Wing feel on 00 but i didn't like wing at all. All the charater were...well lets say had to many issues. In the attempt to make them life like they all became whining little brats that couldn't put their foot in a shoe without a entire episode of the what if's.
Mostly true, but since it was Gundam's first waltz with creating major characters who where either inanely pessimistic (Gundam, Gundam Z) or inanely optimistic (Gundam ZZ), I suppose we could just let them off the hook for that a little.

Since 00 is Gundam's second outing on the Wing source text, I'll watch more closely though, and see how they deal with Setsuna and Co's issues. They have about 33 more episodes to prove that a Gundam series with as much talking as there is shooting can be enjoyable too.
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 08:58   Link #143
kid's hotaru

Gundam Wing Movic is the first gundam animation I have seen, so I like it.Especailly for the climax. However,I don not like the TV version.
kid's hotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 17:36   Link #144
Nanashi777

Send a message via AIM to Nanashi777
I'm ok with the tv Series, but some episodes do annoy me, in particular episode 25

Last edited by Nanashi777; 2008-02-05 at 17:36. Reason: grammar
Nanashi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 00:57   Link #145
Samari
World's Greatest

I just finished watching the entire series and the Special Edition feature all subtitled. Really, I was re-visiting the series after being away from it for about six or seven years when I used to view it as a little kid on Cartoon Network. I wasn't really following it back then, I would just watch it when it was on. My taste for anime wasn't as profound back in those days.

Anyways, I have some mixed feelings about the series in general. I liked the overall premise and story arc. The tone of the story interested me a lot as it was usually quite serious. I like drama in film and I thought that this series did a good job trying to replicate that mood throughout it's entire course.

However, although I thought the premise was very innovative along with the tone, I just didn't like how it was executed in some aspects. My biggest complaint was the persona of some of the characters. Here we have several Gundam pilots who are all sixteen I believe, and the way they talk to people in the show just doesn't seem realistic to me at all. They converse more like they're 40 and like they've lived a full life. I remember Heero Yui said a line in one of the episodes that really caught my eye:

"The best way to live your life is to act on your emotions".

Or something like that. And I thought to myself "How would this young man know about living when he's only sixteen?" Most young people in their early twenties are still trying to "find" themselves and apparently Heero, along with a few other people already have it figured out. Then there was some other random stuff in that same category that just really made me shake my head at times. Such as Wu Fei not killing Treize Khushrenada when he had a perfect chance at sea. All he had to do was stay in his Gundam. Or Heero falling to the bottom of the ocean to ponder his thoughts or something in Endless Waltz. Then you have the main characters managing to infiltrate highly secure facilities with trained military personnel time and time again. I just found that really dumb.

Again, great premise. The dialog was nice. I just think the series left a lot to be desired in terms of how it was executed. But if I'm missing the mark here by a longshot, someone please fill me in.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 05:41   Link #146
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I didn't watch it vigourously, but the OP was nice. Character-wise, enjoyed Quatre, Heero and Duo. Their seiyu were something. Ditto for Relena.
Old 2008-07-03, 08:27   Link #147
V33D12AG0N
The Draconic Human

The best thing in Gundam Wing series is the mecha design.
The Mobile Suits are so innovative yet so cool! I've never seen a gundam with "feathers" like Wing Zero Custom, a red dragon-shaped MA like Epyon (with its tail as a whip), or a gundam equipped with a schyte like DeathSchyte.
The best mecha design so far in Gundam series.
V33D12AG0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 11:08   Link #148
X207
Gamyūsa

i liked it BC they treated the gundams like machines and werent too attached to them. ie passing around MS between the main characters before they settled on thier prefered MS. i liked also that the MS took so much damage and were destroyed a few times.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 16:03   Link #149
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Hey, who doesnt like heero's cool phrases, e.g. "Massion Complete" or "Target, Lock on", etc.
My personal fav gundams are wing 0 custom (I have a pg version at home u know), D C hell and epyon.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 16:05   Link #150
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
i liked it BC they treated the gundams like machines and werent too attached to them. ie passing around MS between the main characters before they settled on thier prefered MS. i liked also that the MS took so much damage and were destroyed a few times.
Eh, I disagree. There were a lot of episodes where they "talked" to their Gundams or believed that the Gundams themselves could "hear them" or whatever. This was especially prevalent with Heero, Wu-Fei, and Quatre.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 17:26   Link #151
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

Indeed. Most memorable moments were, i.e. Heero's "Zero, can you still stand up?" in EW, Quatre's "Sandrock, you're telling me to go out" or even when Duo & Wufei were locked and they were watching previews of their new upgraded suits.
Old 2008-07-03, 23:02   Link #152
gold_orb
disrespectful heckler

gundam wing is the only gundam series i saw. i saw it along time ago, broken up and out of order, i don't think i've seen all the episodes. i mostly liked it becuse it didn't though plot twist after plot twist at you and it didn't focuse on the characters too much.

other reasons :

shorter that 50 episode. (50 is a max for me)
low plot twist, mostly filler (character understanding and organization reasons)
heeyro X releena
one scientist and one piolate per gundam. (organization reasons)
duo (and his girl)
Wing Zero and the overpowered duel buster of death
how dorthy looks like releena

AND MOST IMPORTENTLY

RYTHEM-EMOTIONS.
gold_orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 00:17   Link #153
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Hey, who doesnt like heero's cool phrases, e.g. "Massion Complete" or "Target, Lock on", etc.
My personal fav gundams are wing 0 custom (I have a pg version at home u know), D C hell and epyon.
lol, that bit reminds me of setsuna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejazz87 View Post
Eh, I disagree. There were a lot of episodes where they "talked" to their Gundams or believed that the Gundams themselves could "hear them" or whatever. This was especially prevalent with Heero, Wu-Fei, and Quatre.
i fine with them talking to the MS. i used the word attached to simply decribe the various pilots of the ms. im used to seeing pilot talking to their MS so it didnt really come to my mind.
Old 2008-07-04, 12:09   Link #154
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
lol, that bit reminds me of setsuna.
remember that setsuna came after heero, and maria kinda reminds me of releena.
Old 2008-07-04, 15:06   Link #155
Flame-X
Anti-fan

I never liked wing even though it's the first Gundam series I've saw. I personally found the series to be boring, lacking plot and character development, and overrated.

Endless Waltz was the only thing I liked about wing.
Old 2008-07-04, 20:30   Link #156
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Wing has special meaning to me as a CE fan. When my Wing-fan friend realised that Duo voices Rau, he was in shock.
Old 2008-07-05, 01:19   Link #157
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
remember that setsuna came after heero, and maria kinda reminds me of releena.
true but setsuna is a much more interesting character imo. relena was a bit annoying imo, i actually like lacus over relena.
Old 2008-07-05, 01:46   Link #158
Chiu_fan
Panzer Vor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejazz87 View Post
As I remember, the Gundams had A.I. in their operating systems. And in New Mobile Report Gundam Wing Sidestory: Tiel's Impulse, the Zero system version 2.5 can actually take control of the XXXG-00W0S Wing Gundam Seraphim.
Old 2008-07-16, 03:21   Link #159
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiu_fan View Post
As I remember, the Gundams had A.I. in their operating systems. And in New Mobile Report Gundam Wing Sidestory: Tiel's Impulse, the Zero system version 2.5 can actually take control of the XXXG-00W0S Wing Gundam Seraphim.
[Note: This is also in response to bluejazz87's post.]

Aside from the side stories, (that I personally don't consider canon because it seems to deviate so much from the main story...) from what I learned about the whole A.I. thing, the Zero System and Mobile Doll System are the only things closest to what would be considered A.I.

So, Heero actually was talking to the Zero System, Wufei was actually talking to his deceased wife's spirit (that he believes resides in the Gundams [Except Wing Zero] he pilots. Refer to the Episode Zero manga for further details.), and Quatre spoke to his Sandrock when initiating the self-destruct sequence also activated an automatic "ejection" protocol that appears to have been installed solely for Quatre by the scientist who built Sandrock. (As subtly hinted in Endless Waltz.) Then there's Duo, who never really got any form of automated response from Deathscythe/Deathscythe Hell, and of course, Trowa who never spoke to his Gundam.

Last edited by Phantom-Takaya; 2008-07-18 at 04:03.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 21:21   Link #160
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-Takaya View Post
Wufei was actually talking to his deceased wife's spirit (that he believes resides in the Gundams [Except Wing Zero] he pilots.
Wufei had a wife?