AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-20, 18:26   Link #41
Un1234l

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeStone View Post
Yes, I've seen 'When They Cry' . It's way too 'horror' for her. She'd dislike it.

I've seen Death Note. While I'm considering it, I thought it was a great show up until the second arc where (IMO) the series sinks into a hole. If I let her watch it, I don't think I'd let her watch it past the 11th or so episode unless she really wanted.

Monster may be too lengthy, unless it's a 'need to know what happens next' type of anime.

Bacanno! is a bit on the confusing side on a first watch through and a bit 'out of there'. I loved it, but I don't think she would.

Everything else that I'm not commenting on I haven't seen (and will) or hasn't been commented on enough.

Oh . . and thanks for the suggestions! Feel free to keep them coming. I have a list that I'm going to watch to 'preview' them.
So Higurashi is out of the picture.

Although I've never seen it, people did say Death Note had a crappy ending, so I guess she shouldn't be watching it now.

Monster... never seen it but since it has 74 episode, she'll probably enjoy it for longer and the suspence will build up, and she will have time to connect with the characters. Unnn Unn... seems like this should be high on the considerations list.

Baccanno! Let me ask you this: did you love it because it was confusing and unique? It might turn her off at first, but because of it's uniqueness and interesting story, she might be interested in it more, trying to find a solution to whatever's going on. I guess it's kinda like Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (look how popular that turned out...).

How much time do you have to pick a show for her? And how about surprising her by showing her something that isn't mystery? Because she's expecting something. And if there's expectation, there is disappointment. So just shove a romance anime right in her face and I don't know... but during the show she will be expecting something bad to happen but instead she cries because of the touching story, plot and characters.
Old 2008-02-20, 19:26   Link #42
BladeStone

She wouldn't like Baccano! because it's based on violence, really. The reason it has to be Mystery is because it was part of the agreement.

For anyone that was curious:

Our agreement was that she could get a dog provided she watches an entire series of anime of my choosing. We bartered down to a single season of mystery (my choosing) and that she would get a rabbit.
Old 2008-02-20, 23:11   Link #43
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Oh, well there you go! Dogs are way better than rabbits, so the choice is clear

Sounds like you should have her watch Inukami :P
Old 2008-02-21, 00:04   Link #44
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un1234l
Although I've never seen it, people did say Death Note had a crappy ending, so I guess she shouldn't be watching it now.
Whatcha talking about? Death Note has the sweetest ending ever! ^__~ I certainly couldn't stop grinning in satisfaction at the last episode. It's just so awesome haha Watch it.

So if Death Note is iffy, then I would suggest you pick a 'Josei' genre. A show specifically made for girls 20 and up (here's me assuming your wife isn't a teenager :P). Seirei no Moribito is good, plus, the show has a female lead. ^__^
Old 2008-02-21, 01:02   Link #45
Troilism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Whatcha talking about? Death Note has the sweetest ending ever! ^__~ I certainly couldn't stop grinning in satisfaction at the last episode. It's just so awesome haha Watch it.

So if Death Note is iffy, then I would suggest you pick a 'Josei' genre. A show specifically made for girls 20 and up (here's me assuming your wife isn't a teenager :P). Seirei no Moribito is good, plus, the show has a female lead. ^__^
seirei no moribito is not a mystery title either....hmmm

Here's a little list, all these titles are high quality as well and I recommend them all.

Mermaid's Forest
Jigoku Shoujo (both seasons)
Boogiepop Phantom
Red Garden

I would probably say try mermaid's forest or red garden first from those 3.
Old 2008-02-21, 02:13   Link #46
Z3120

Mushishi is a title I'd definitely recommend if you're want a satisfying overall experience.

Death Note, while it is pretty good, I felt the 2nd arc was rushed too fast for comfort.
Old 2008-02-21, 03:19   Link #47
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troilism View Post
seirei no moribito is not a mystery title either....hmmm

Here's a little list, all these titles are high quality as well and I recommend them all.

Mermaid's Forest
Jigoku Shoujo (both seasons)
Boogiepop Phantom
Red Garden

I would probably say try mermaid's forest or red garden first from those 3.

Yeah, Seirei no Moribito isn't really a mystery genre, more like adventure, but the plot really kept me guessing everytime when I watched it. It's mysterious enough for me:P

And yes! How can I forgot Red Garden? I think that's a better suggestion. I loved it.
Old 2008-02-21, 20:37   Link #48
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

monsters, blood, high school girls being forced to fight, the concept of life and death being challenged, someone new to anime.

Am I the only one not seeing this working?
Old 2008-02-21, 21:08   Link #49
Z3120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMan View Post
Am I the only one not seeing this working?
It must work! For the sake of creating another anime fan

And about Red Garden, I've been meaning to get into that. Don't know why I completely forgotten about it.
Old 2008-02-21, 23:02   Link #50
devildog23
Summerlurking

Since shes only going to give a single mystery one a try, the chance of success isn't too high. Try to persuade her to watch a different genre because of all the good mystery anime, most of them are shonen and the few non-shonen ones don't fit the criteria or probably won't interest her. Maybe she'll like romance or comedy?
Old 2008-02-21, 23:19   Link #51
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Guys I genuinely don't see the problem with mystery anime. In fact some of the best anime ever made has been suggested in this thread. Comedy and romance, if anything, will actually be tougher - because we have absolutely no idea what this woman's humour is like. And speaking as a woman, I actually dislike 'romance' anime, period. So there is a possibility she would too. Not all females will love cliche shojo.

Mystery anime at least solves the issue of a good storyline, because most of them in here have one. I think it will be fine so long as BladeStone picks something mature, with some good characterisation, an interesting plot and some nice animation.

So if she's not keen on action, but wants a mysterious storyline, then I think Haibane Renmei is an excellent choice. Or there are plenty of 'grittier' mystery-orientated shows. Red Garden was a good 'different' suggestion made.

Alternatively BladeStone is more than welcome to peruse down all the shows tagged with 'mystery' over on ANN:

Mystery anime

They've got Gankutsuou near the top... that would certainly be an experience for her.
Old 2008-02-22, 05:35   Link #52
Navel

I don't really understand women, so that's why it's a mystery to me why women like Red Garden. ^^

But there's no doubt that if you want to please a woman, listen to what other women liked. And yeah, Gankutsuou is a great anime, for guys too, although I'm not so sure how it fits as a mystery.
Old 2008-02-23, 13:33   Link #53
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeStone View Post
Alright, anime-suki'ers! This is your chance!

My wife has finally caved and decided to watch a single season of anime of my choosing provided it's a mystery series. Now she's somewhat of an uptight person (so no ecchi). Give me some suggestions that will leave her in awe! Try (if possible) to stay away from action-oriented animes. Some action in a mystery is a given, though.

Thanks!
Definitely Monster. Especially so since it's really intended for mature audiences and therefore has fewer of the idiosyncrasies of anime that turn people off. (Moe-fetishism. Those irritating nose-bleeding jokes. A somewhat uniform stylization template. Excessive weirdness of some settings, whether warranted by the story or not.) Monster plays itself very straight and serious.

It's definitely a "what happens next?" kind of show and I don't feel there's ever a wasted episode. It also displays some of anime's greater strengths, where a lot of the stories actually progresses and eventually reaches a resolution instead of repeating the same set pieces over-and-over for cash. This only occurs rarely in Western television. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, like Inu Yasha or Case Closed. And while Case Closed is entertaining in its own right, I wouldn't whip it out for the first-impression "Wow!".

Last edited by Twisted Reality; 2008-02-23 at 13:45.
Old 2008-02-23, 18:58   Link #54
Amray

Introduce her to BLOOD+!!!! >3

Nah Joke. What about Gunslinger Girl? Thats a nice Drama with the odd scene of action. I think that any Female could get into that.
Old 2008-02-23, 20:16   Link #55
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Nah Joke. What about Gunslinger Girl? Thats a nice Drama with the odd scene of action. I think that any Female could get into that.
Uhh, somehow I don't think the concept of little girls equipped with all sorts of military equipment and blowing the brains out of mafia capos is going to be quite easy to accept for someone who has a stereotyped view of anime...

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-02-24, 03:15   Link #56
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

I'm still behind Death Note, as it's a series that's likable even for those wo have none or little anime, and it's quite tense and gripping, though not necessarily "Mystery", though there's very, very few true mystery series.
Also, I suggest that you go view 5 Centimeters per Second with her come March, after accidentally forgetting that it was an anime movie.
Old 2008-02-24, 06:58   Link #57
Amray

Then I'm going to have to say go for a Studio Ghibli film.
Everyone loves those.
Old 2008-02-25, 00:03   Link #58
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
Then I'm going to have to say go for a Studio Ghibli film.
Everyone loves those.
Eh.
The only ones I really got into were Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa, and I've seen my fair share (probably like 6-8 of them).
They're also quite old, so it wouldn't be something to easily draw her into what is current in anime.
Old 2008-02-25, 11:55   Link #59
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I'd say Seirei No Moribito is actually kind of a mystery, since they have to solve the puzzle of what is actually happening to the Prince, and what to do about it.
Old 2008-02-25, 13:07   Link #60
-HyugaNeji-

Wow, how can people say that Monster has a slow start??? When i watched the first episodes of Monster i was totally HOOKED!! I thought: Damn, finally some serious stuff, with believable, lifelike characters.

You get to see so much in the first ep's. A spoiled girlfriend with somewhat racist beliefs, a doctor, torn apart between morality and his potential career, a little girl, traumatized by "killing her brother"...And finally a kid, which eventually becomes one manipulative sick fuck. And the Drama is: It's Tenmas fault. Or so he believes.

And on top of that, the dialogues are great. The Animation is superb. The soundtrack rocks. They talk "real" and not so typically animelike.

Believe me, your wife will be hooked too!! Especially since she doesn't believe, that "animated" stuff, can create any kind of emotion. I'm with her on that one. Most anime don't touch me at all, because it's all so ridiculously bizarre and strange

Show her Monster, nothing else! Believe me mate, believe me.
Closed Thread

Tags
wife