AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-04-16, 22:52   Link #8261
DaCyclops
Freshly Exiled Zero

Damn you Kaisos Erranon. My brain was finally mostly stable without time paradox stories, when you came along and chucked a whopper at me!

I do like how you worked in a bit of mucking around and worrying before the big reveal. I do think Haruki works better with a Lunchbox to the face...

And, Ive managed to find myself a simple signature in the middle of all this crazyness.... represents my life quite well, if you ask me.
DaCyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 22:58   Link #8262
Jintor

It's a typo. You can editjob typos.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 22:59   Link #8263
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCyclops View Post
Damn you Kaisos Erranon. My brain was finally mostly stable without time paradox stories, when you came along and chucked a whopper at me!
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCyclops View Post
I do like how you worked in a bit of mucking around and worrying before the big reveal. I do think Haruki works better with a Lunchbox to the face...
Thank Aebliss for that one.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 23:01   Link #8264
shaoron
AQS representative

BTW.. is kyonko going to let her hair down till the end of Volume 1?

PS: just made the typo editjob...

EDIT
I wonder how you would rewrite Kyon's story in "Editor in Chief"
Also... I wonder how we're going to rewrite Mikuru-chan's fairy tale... or we're gonna leave that as is and let kyonko comment "The Snow White in Asahina-sempai's story sounds like a female version of Haruki."

Last edited by shaoron; 2008-04-16 at 23:28.
shaoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 23:47   Link #8265
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Isn't that the one that posits alternate universes...?

No... just no.

Sliders are confirmed, by they might come from universes that never split off, or that split off "3/4 years ago".

I don't see how time travel in the Haruverse could logically work with that interpretation. Both Mikuru and Fujiwara talk like there's only one possible future, with the danger that Haruhi might change it somehow.
I see a lot of speculation there concerning the sliders, Kaisos. All we REALLY know is that sliders are forthcoming.

Not to mention that there's still justification for a continuum protection agency of a sorts, as, if I understand it correctly, cross-planar isn't mathematically identical to cross-time. The time traveler's own subjective timeline can still be affected by changes to the past- namely, in displacing one or many of them into a non-identical universe. There's also the plain fact that the forthcoming sliders may come from an even farther future era, where the ability to alter timespace continuums doesn't apply to just the native fabric.

Of course, now I'm delving into speculation. In fact, the plain and simple truth may be that Haruhi subscribes to both Wheeler-Everett and Novikov self-consistency- thus why we have both sliders and time travelers, despite the fact that the existence of one inherently contradicts the other. Logic gets tossed out of the window when we add omnipotence to the formula.
kaura117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 23:53   Link #8266
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
About chapter 6, because Haruki does not stay in the classroom for lunch, lunchbox to the face seems unlikely. The way I see it could happen, it's right at the beginning of the lunch period; before Haruki can go off. The absence of Asakura as class president to lead their thanks to the departing teacher sets off her memories; leaving her standing there while everyone else is preparing for lunch and ignoring Taniguchi and Kunikida who have approached table. Then Haruki pulls her tail, and she responds with Taniguchi's lunchbox to his face.(since her own is still in her bag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoron View Post
I wonder how you would rewrite Kyon's story in "Editor in Chief"
Also... I wonder how we're going to rewrite Mikuru-chan's fairy tale... or we're gonna leave that as is and let kyonko comment "The Snow White in Asahina-sempai's story sounds like a female version of Haruki."
I am more interested/terrified of the contents of Nakagawa's letter in Charmed. Like the work of the mad Arab Abdul Alhazred, what sort of madness will a raving fangirl unleash on the world?
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 00:00   Link #8267
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
I am more interested/terrified of the contents of Nakagawa's letter in Charmed. Like the work of the mad Arab Abdul Alhazred, what sort of madness will a raving fangirl unleash on the world?
...You talkin' 'bout the Necronomicon?
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 00:09   Link #8268
shaoron
AQS representative

IMO... activating fangirl mode would work i guess...

the reason i'm concerned about Kyonko's romance story is... A 10 year old girl looking like a high school girl going out with a high school student is plausible...

A 10 year old kid looking like a high school boy asking a high school girl for movies with the sole intention of "wanting to watch a gory horror movie but needs someone older to watch with him" is just... well.. too farfetched, IMO
unless you make that kid into someone like Asahina Mitsuru...

it just makes kyonko looked like a... a...

shouta... <_<
shaoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 00:14   Link #8269
otai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
...You talkin' 'bout the Necronomicon?
Yeah.
But only much more insane. I suspect that she would have described the details of their wedding, from the catering to the height of the flower girl. Then proceed to describe their married life, from the shade of pastels in their nursery, to how she will forgo epidurals to give natural childbirth to both their boy and girl.
Old 2008-04-17, 00:15   Link #8270
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:

the reason i'm concerned about Kyonko's romance story is... A 10 year old girl looking like a high school girl going out with a high school student is plausible...

A 10 year old kid looking like a high school boy asking a high school girl for movies with the sole intention of "wanting to watch a gory horror movie but needs someone older to watch with him" is just... well.. too farfetched, IMO

shouta... <_<
Is that so? It actually seems more believable. I mean, not many 10-year-old girls that I know of would want to go see horror movies, but I have known a few 10-year-old boys who probably would. (Well, depending on the movie.)
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 00:34   Link #8271
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Yes, exactly. It's an item that has no real origin in time, like that story about the watch. Of course, it still follows self-consistency.

And that is an awesome idea, although I'm kinda in favor of the ribbon just being a ribbon.
The problem with the ribbon being an item out of time is that, unless it has some sort of ageless quality (or is restored to new status before going back) via some data manipulation, it would grow infinitely older and decay.

So yeah, probably better if we just have it be a normal ribbon. Besides, it isn't like we'd be seeing the time when Kyon-chan sends the ribbon back with Mitsuru.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 00:37   Link #8272
otai

Quote:

shouta... <_<
You have a point, after all they are trying to sneak a minor into a R movie. Taller girl accompanying shorter (albeit mature looking) boy would be more suspicious. But still, it could be played straight, he's desparate to watch a normal movie going out of circulation, but his parents won't let him go without a chaperone. Or he could look what-are-they-feeding-him? mature. Happened in anime before, like in Please Save My Earth.
Old 2008-04-17, 00:37   Link #8273
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaura117 View Post
I see a lot of speculation there concerning the sliders, Kaisos. All we REALLY know is that sliders are forthcoming.

Not to mention that there's still justification for a continuum protection agency of a sorts, as, if I understand it correctly, cross-planar isn't mathematically identical to cross-time. The time traveler's own subjective timeline can still be affected by changes to the past- namely, in displacing one or many of them into a non-identical universe. There's also the plain fact that the forthcoming sliders may come from an even farther future era, where the ability to alter timespace continuums doesn't apply to just the native fabric.

Of course, now I'm delving into speculation. In fact, the plain and simple truth may be that Haruhi subscribes to both Wheeler-Everett and Novikov self-consistency- thus why we have both sliders and time travelers, despite the fact that the existence of one inherently contradicts the other. Logic gets tossed out of the window when we add omnipotence to the formula.
I agree. (Because I'm too tired to argue.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
About chapter 6, because Haruki does not stay in the classroom for lunch, lunchbox to the face seems unlikely. The way I see it could happen, it's right at the beginning of the lunch period; before Haruki can go off. The absence of Asakura as class president to lead their thanks to the departing teacher sets off her memories; leaving her standing there while everyone else is preparing for lunch and ignoring Taniguchi and Kunikida who have approached table. Then Haruki pulls her tail, and she responds with Taniguchi's lunchbox to his face.(since her own is still in her bag)
It's break. She wanted a snack. And she doesn't have the tail.
Old 2008-04-17, 00:39   Link #8274
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
The problem with the ribbon being an item out of time is that, unless it has some sort of ageless quality (or is restored to new status before going back) via some data manipulation, it would grow infinitely older and decay.

So yeah, probably better if we just have it be a normal ribbon. Besides, it isn't like we'd be seeing the time when Kyon-chan sends the ribbon back with Mitsuru.
It could be a normal-looking, normally-behaving ribbon, except for one thing: close study (by, say, Yuuki) could show it is actually woven of specially treated strands on an unknown metal, rather than cloth. No decay index, and easy to wash. What more could you wish for? Though Kyonko would have to polish it from time to time.
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 00:43   Link #8275
Discreet
The Fascist

Sometimes a ribbon is just a ribbon.

And I agree with megax, Kyonko's story will be a lot more believable in terms of gender roles than Kyon's.
Discreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 00:47   Link #8276
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
It could be a normal-looking, normally-behaving ribbon, except for one thing: close study (by, say, Yuuki) could show it is actually woven of specially treated strands on an unknown metal, rather than cloth. No decay index, and easy to wash. What more could you wish for? Though Kyonko would have to polish it from time to time.
Er, how about we not do that and just keep it a ribbon?
Old 2008-04-17, 00:57   Link #8277
otai

Quote:
It's break. She wanted a snack. And she doesn't have the tail.
My bad. But... err the box came out of nowhere? Dignity salvage is hard
Old 2008-04-17, 00:58   Link #8278
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

I'm not talking about the normal decay cloth would go through; I'm talking about the decay of matter itself that scientists theorize will occur along the way to the heat death of the universe.

Even the fundamental particles of matter, protons and the like, have a lifespan after which they decay. It's orders of magnitude greater than the current lifespan of the universe, but an item created though a closed temporal loop would become infinitely old. Thus, if it were made of any form of normal matter, it would have already decayed when it was perceived. It couldn't exist without some sort of renewal.

Information, however, could be created. It's like with the knowledge of Mitsuru's mole: Mitsuru knew about the mole because Kyon told him, and she knew because he told her. He gives her the ribbon because she told him he did, and she eventually tells him that he gave it to her because he did.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 01:00   Link #8279
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
Er, how about we not do that and just keep it a ribbon?
Bah. Ruining my fun ... Heh. Fine, a normal ribbon it is. But then how to explain it doesn't decay?
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 01:01   Link #8280
Discreet
The Fascist

It's made out of some very fine plastic.
Discreet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan