AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 27 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 340 65.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 97 18.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 6.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 3.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 3.25%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-15, 16:55   Link #601
7Th
Mixtape

Final thoughts on Gurren-Lagann’s ending episode:

Imaishi’s storyboard and direction were thoroughly… Imaishi-tastic, although with certain sense of symbolism this time around. The laid-back adrenaline is still at full force but there is a degree of understated melancholy and other thoughtful emotions usually missing at most of his works.

My take on Nia’s demise:

As far as my mind tells me, by the end of the show the only character to really understand the meaning behind the Anti-Spiral motivations was Nia, who came a long way from her first appearance where she barely knew basic concepts such as “human” or “despair”. You know, it was never thoroughly explained the nature of her transformation so I’ll take my own interpretation based on her dialogs and say it was more in the line of the discovery of a true purpose. Nia’s memories were still there, but they were meaningless to the accomplishment of a Messenger’s task. By taking this into account I guess her death was mostly her choice. The subtext is there, living on by the abuse of Spiral Power would be a selfish wish on her side that would only bring forth the Universe towards the feared entropy of reset. She tells Simon to do what he is meant to do, this is her dying wish and as such it is so strong she is willing to sacrifice her happiness for it. I know the whole thing is still fairly sad, but rationalized this way it feels more satisfying to me.

My take on Simon’s ending:

After Nia’s death he pretty much stopped thinking of happiness as an idea attainable for him. He looks content but also really tired, probably now fully aware he is only able to watch OTHERS living in his heaven. Rather, he seems much closer to mellow.
Old 2007-10-15, 18:08   Link #602
DieH@rd

Lets keep this short. Last episode was truly an EPIC™ one.

Death of Nia/Simon the Wanderer was a suprise, but i expected some kind of weird shit from Gainax. It didnt ruin the show for me. It is still the best anime this season, and its high ranked in my "all time best off".

As for Nia's death...
Shit happens.

As for Simoon...
"To love and win is the best thing. To love and lose, is the next best." - William M. Thackeray.
Old 2007-10-16, 02:05   Link #603
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I don't like the sudden introduction of the "let's past the torch on to the next generation" theme. Not only was it sudden, it was dumb as well - the next generation isn't prepared to maintain that torch, they don't have some "birth-right". Gimmy and Darry are pathetic compared with Simon, they are not wrothy successors to him at all.

If this theme was mandatory, the complimentary theme of an "old dog can't learn new tricks" should have been more emphasized.

Moving away from the brooding, these changes are how I, mterek, would have made Gurren-Lagann the most epic anime of the decade. It follows some chronological order - I go over Arc III first, then Arc IV (mostly Arc IV).

Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-16, 22:34   Link #604
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

Wow, great episode. So does Simon just live on by himself now? I mean...he should at least find another person...
Old 2007-10-18, 00:58   Link #605
Joni3Nyo
☆ ポンポンら~♪

:'( i cried too much
Old 2007-10-18, 19:12   Link #606
chechiarts

the next gurren lagann

see the next gurren lagnn i got the pics
Old 2007-10-19, 00:46   Link #607
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechiarts View Post

see the next gurren lagnn i got the pics
That is NOT about a new series. It's from the Rifling webpage that has various extra details about the Gurren Lagann world. The story that your pics are from is about the life of Bachoun Dokkanai (the guy who suicided in episode 14). It's about how he miraculously survived, and his life afterwards and his various successes, always followed by failure and disappointment (the poor guy). And then it tells a little about his younger brother who turned out to be the Gulaparl pilot who was shot down in episode 17 (Kouza). His life afterwards turned out similar to Bachoun's.
Old 2007-10-19, 10:20   Link #608
raphy_angelo

my eyes went teary when kamina died .....and the ending was the saddest I've ever seen...again, my eyes went teary.......all in all, it was a really good anime...in fact, its now my favorite anime, surpassing death note...
Old 2007-10-21, 03:09   Link #609
Virtue
Banned

Typical of GAINAX....
Old 2007-10-22, 02:22   Link #610
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphy_angelo View Post
my eyes went teary when kamina died .....and the ending was the saddest I've ever seen...again, my eyes went teary.......all in all, it was a really good anime...in fact, its now my favorite anime, surpassing death note...
All i can say is, u should watch more anime ^_^ if u think Gurren is good, some of the older stuff will leave u in awe

Death Note....meh before u-know-who die it was probably up there, afterwards it was like putting tricks and logic outta ur ass, dropped from a 9 to a 6 in my books
Old 2007-10-22, 16:35   Link #611
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
All i can say is, u should watch more anime ^_^ if u think Gurren is good, some of the older stuff will leave u in awe

Death Note....meh before u-know-who die it was probably up there, afterwards it was like putting tricks and logic outta ur ass, dropped from a 9 to a 6 in my books
I've seen upwards of 150 anime, and Gurren is tied for number one with Maison Ikkoku .
Old 2007-10-22, 16:46   Link #612
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:

I'm a pretentious anime snob and GL is in my top 10 on writing alone.
Old 2007-10-22, 23:09   Link #613
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:

I was watching astroboy, Captain Harlock (Albator in french)and Mazinger (known as Goldorak in french) in the early eighties. Gurren-Lagann is very much an homage to those very old shows.

I think it's part of it's appeal to many older viewers. It's probably one of the reasons why it's in my top three, up there with Cowboy Bebop and Captain Harlock...

Now I'm feeling old.
Old 2007-10-23, 22:25   Link #614
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

I've watched those too....i think they are better than GL tho, i'm not trying to be pretentious or anything, i'm sorry if u were offended to the point u have to start talking trash.

But i just dont see how this anime could make it into a top5 list...i mean it was a fun anime, but top5 is reserved for memorable in my books, and while it is a fun anime there isnt too many "memorable" scenes except for "farewell, my friends", so i failed to see how it could make it on anyone's top5, but apparently i was wrong o_O

again i'm sorry for offending anyone with my comments, i just wanted to suggest other, more memorable anime (imo) to him and i guess i rub off someone else the wrong way.
Old 2007-10-23, 22:36   Link #615
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
I've watched those too....i think they are better than GL tho, i'm not trying to be pretentious or anything, i'm sorry if u were offended to the point u have to start talking trash.

But i just dont see how this anime could make it into a top5 list...i mean it was a fun anime, but top5 is reserved for memorable in my books, and while it is a fun anime there isnt too many "memorable" scenes except for "farewell, my friends", so i failed to see how it could make it on anyone's top5, but apparently i was wrong o_O

again i'm sorry for offending anyone with my comments, i just wanted to suggest other, more memorable anime (imo) to him and i guess i rub off someone else the wrong way.
Because we have super robot tamashi/soul . I grew up watching Yusha series, which were super robot series and my favorite anime is GaoGaiGar. And this anime basically is super robot to the core and to me it had so many great moment from episode 8 where Kamina dies and all the way through the end. There were so many great character and the story was just so damn awesome. I do understand why someone won't like it as other people, I think if you grew up watching these super robot type show or is a fan of that genre, you will love this show because as super robot show it does what super robot is suppose to do and does it perfectly.
Old 2007-10-23, 23:12   Link #616
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:

GL is a thematic wonder of good writing, that's pretty much my reason for it being as 10 in my personal favorites.
Old 2007-10-24, 11:58   Link #617
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

Quote:

I think GL has the most memorable and best scene out of any anime i've ever seen.

When the gurren dan are trapped in the alternate universe, and kamina comes to the rescue... I cried when he and simon were talking.. when Simon grasped around his neck for the core drill and it wasnt there.. when he turned into older simon.. and flew off.. when yoko was watching herself on the TV and it was kamina holding it...

Imo.. thats my favourite scene in any anime i've ever seen
Old 2007-10-25, 17:43   Link #618
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:

No one has talked trash. People simply wanted to point out that you won't necessarily find 'much better' anime, seeing as how we all think Gurren Lagann is at or close to the top. There are a good number of people who think this way.

Also, I'm only 18, and I really, really love Gurren Lagann for its own merits. I love the super robot genre as well, but that has only come to me quite recently.

Also, jaziek, I couldn't agree more, what an awesome scene. Gurren Lagann was actually host to a bunch of scenes like that - Kamina's last stand in episode 8, Simon's speech in 11, Kittan's sacrifice in 25, and stuff scattered throughout the last arc. Also so many memorable battles; episode 15, 22, and 27 being the best, in my opinion.
Old 2007-10-25, 19:36   Link #619
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
I don't like the sudden introduction of the "let's past the torch on to the next generation" theme. Not only was it sudden, it was dumb as well - the next generation isn't prepared to maintain that torch, they don't have some "birth-right". Gimmy and Darry are pathetic compared with Simon, they are not wrothy successors to him at all.
The 'Let's pass the torch isn't sudden at all. Heck it's the WHOLE POINT OF THE SHOW!

Kamina's father passing the torch to Kamina, who in turn passed the torch to Simon. It's only natural he would do so in his time. Simon wasn't worthy of Kamina's mantle when he inherited it eighter. He grew into those shoes. He couldn't have if Kamina stayed around to babysit him.

That's why Simon left after the wedding; the entire universe lived in his shadow. He needed to step asside to leave those who follow him room to grow the way they're meant to be.

Besides, it's not like he can't step up if there's something the Gurren-Dan can't handle. Youi think that Spiral spear is for show?
Old 2007-10-26, 03:45   Link #620
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
No one has talked trash. People simply wanted to point out that you won't necessarily find 'much better' anime, seeing as how we all think Gurren Lagann is at or close to the top. There are a good number of people who think this way.

Also, I'm only 18, and I really, really love Gurren Lagann for its own merits. I love the super robot genre as well, but that has only come to me quite recently.

Also, jaziek, I couldn't agree more, what an awesome scene. Gurren Lagann was actually host to a bunch of scenes like that - Kamina's last stand in episode 8, Simon's speech in 11, Kittan's sacrifice in 25, and stuff scattered throughout the last arc. Also so many memorable battles; episode 15, 22, and 27 being the best, in my opinion.
Completely agree with that list. Gurren Lagann does epic speeches, sacrifices and coming back from the brink of destruction PERFECTLY. The first time simon does his speech and then the giga drill breaker on his own, against guame. That was EPIC. I dont think anyone can say they werent screaming YEAAAAAAAAAHH!!! At their screen when they watched that for the first time.. Hell i've watched it 4 times and I still do.