Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-11, 18:49   Link #1
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

how should i watch xxxholic?

Should I watch the first season or read the manga or do both? I also heard it's somewhat related to tsubasa chronicles...but i heard the anime adaption of that sucks.

So what do i do?

Old 2010-05-11, 21:21   Link #2
Autumn Demon
~

No substantial relation to tsubasa chronicles; and yes the anime of tsubasa does suck.

The anime of xxxholic is great. I haven't read the manga but i hear it's a lot better than the anime. So if you're an anime person watch it or if you're a manga person read it.
Old 2010-05-11, 21:23   Link #3
Forsaken_Infinity

Read the manga.
Old 2010-05-11, 21:55   Link #4
seven|x_x
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノ​ヽノ \ / \

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Read the manga.
seconding this.

read both mangas.
Old 2010-05-12, 08:07   Link #5
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Read the manga.
Should I do both? Like are there enough differences that I wouldn't be bored afterwards trying to read the manga? It's just that ti's easier to watch the anime (i like listening to the voices...sounds kinda creepy, but you get what im saying)
Old 2010-05-12, 14:55   Link #6
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Honestly I only read Holic and really had no problem figuring out what was going on TRC. To me the TRC manga went on a lot longer then it should. Id watch the Holic anime first then read the manga. I enjoyed both. Its not like the anime cut out massive parts of the manga its just the manga has taken a very different turn lately so watching the anime first would be better.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-05-12, 16:18   Link #7
seven|x_x
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノ​ヽノ \ / \

the artwork in the manga is much nicer than in the anime.
Old 2010-05-13, 15:53   Link #8
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Check the holic anime first. Its sense of supernatural is superb, it really gives you the chills at times. Once you're done with the second season, start reading TRC and every 10 chapters or so switch to xxxHOLIC manga. The crossovers have been removed in the anime so you can skip the TRC anime, but the manga will explain bits and pieces about the characters of both worlds.
Old 2010-05-14, 05:13   Link #9
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

If you want to experience just xxxHolic, then i'd say go with the anime (both seasons). The stories are adapted quite nicely, along with some pretty nicely put together anime original stories. Plus the overall experience of the anime is worth it just for the outstanding score by S.E.N.S.

If you want more after that, you can always read the manga. It's been mentioned in this thread already, and it's true that you don't need to read TRC to be able to fully enjoy xxxHolic. Just want to make sure you're clear on that.
Old 2010-05-14, 19:21   Link #10
Raa
Sceptic

I actually won't agree with consensus here. Firstly I admit I dislike manga and comics in general, so you are free to ignore my opinion.

I think intertwining stories of Tsubasa and xxxHolic are worth all the pain through watching Tsubasa anime, it isn't that bad as people say here, although it's filler heavy, but OVAs are great, only you still need to watch anime, as OVAs doesn't explain what's going on. I think it's better to start by watching Tsubasa anime, than xxxHolic and Tsubasa OVAs and movie.
Although timeline is pretty messed all around anyway.
Old 2010-05-15, 06:14   Link #11
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^Well, the thing is, xxxHolic's anime cuts out anything explicitly related to Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles (licensing issues I assume, and maybe also design decisions), so there's no point in watching TRC's anime adaptations first. They just don't connect in any discernible way -- unless you know the source material, of course.

As the anime's a stand-alone. I don't think the OP's experience with xxxHolic the anime will be enhanced by knowing TRC beforehand. The manga though, will certainly be better with the other series as complement, since it's so deeply interrelated.

Back to topic: Both are great. Watch, then read. Or just watch if you don't have the time. Sure, sure, "the manga is better," but that's just a cliché thrown around one too often nowadays.
Old 2010-05-15, 09:10   Link #12
Kafriel
Senior Guest

It's not just the "manga is better", but it's like a totally different thing. Specifically
Spoiler for TRC manga spoilers:

When I decided to check out the TRC manga, I took it all the way from chapter 1 despite having watched the anime beforehand. Once I was done with that, I started reading Holic...
Closed Thread