AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-10-12, 00:14   Link #181
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I never actually said the old system was better btw, so good job putting words in my mouth. I just dislike the current iteration of the AI they are using, from the reviews and let's plays I've seen of it, it looks broken and buggy (ships driving on land, wut?). It could and should be improved to make it less schizophrenic. It's got potential, but it doesn't reach it from what I've seen.

Anyway, you answered my question, good day.
Old 2013-10-12, 00:23   Link #182
Destined_Fate

Rome 2 can't even form a correct formation. The Romans fought in formations, so I fully expect them to fight in that manner.

Barbarians can fight in blobs. That's fine.

The Romans though? C'mon!
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 01:18   Link #183
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

This is a problem with gaming these days: devs seem to pool their entire budget into making a game look pretty, but falls short in competent AI development and game balancing at all stages of the game.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 20:01   Link #184
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Well, we'll just need to keep waiting and hopefully see if these continuous big patches make this better. Because Rome 2 was unplayable at the start, but by patch 2-3 it became "somewhat" playable. Just still annoying and dumb when fighting the AI.

Here are the patch notes for 4

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ROME_II:_Patch_4
Spoiler for Big Patch is Big:

Last edited by Hooves; 2013-10-12 at 20:11.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 00:39   Link #185
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I never actually said the old system was better btw, so good job putting words in my mouth. I just dislike the current iteration of the AI they are using, from the reviews and let's plays I've seen of it, it looks broken and buggy (ships driving on land, wut?). It could and should be improved to make it less schizophrenic. It's got potential, but it doesn't reach it from what I've seen.

Anyway, you answered my question, good day.
So you've never even played the game anyways so how do you even know aside from listening to people who haven't even played the game or want this to fail so hard?

It's getting so tiring that I'm just going to post a couple screens of what I've seen since it seems to be the rage that we all want everything to "fail"

Apparently there are rumors now that some of these videos are "MP" videos that are made to make the AI look really bad.

Spoiler:

This is pretty much what I see on my battles with the AI. It forms up a battle line with cavalry on flanks and engages my line. I don't expect anything super great but I've always been fine with that.

So I have no idea where people are getting the idea that the AI sucks.

Spoiler:

Depending on composition I've seen the AI send in 3/4 of their men and hold some back to send arrows into my lines or wait until an opening opens up and send their men into that breach to make it bigger.

Spoiler:

One of the weirdest comments I've seen is that the AI just camps at the flag though I have yet to see that.

When I make a breach, the AI will send all forces to those areas and hold that line. It will also keep reserves in the back to tire my guys out. This siege took me almost 20 minutes to finish and while to break them.

Spoiler:

If the AI has artillery it loves to make giant breaches in the walls so it can pour more men into it.

Spoiler:

AI knows how to use siege equipment and uses it to capture gates and towers.

Spoiler:

The AI kicked my ass in this one. They had one army cross the river and another at another crossing and destroyed me.

Spoiler:

I have also seen the AI expand and it's gotten better with Patch 4.

Spoiler:

In this minor settlement battle the AI keeps half of its forces away and sends in a unit at a time when their front is about to break. When my riders enter the middle though they do react and send in units to stop them.

And I haven't suffered a crash. Only with Beta 1.3 but that was easily fixed afterwards.

I've also seen confederations form, AI armies building forts, etc.

If you beat the AI then it'll sue for peace and even ask for client status.

So while there are problems in this game I do not see how this is unplayable.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 15:59   Link #186
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

So yeah, the game is helllllllalot better than it was when it first came out (tons of people speculated that it would take at least a month to fix up major issues). I started a new campaign again as Rome on very hard. I do have some mods with x2 unit size. The game runs very smooth compared to the beginning, especially in the world-view mode. Having no issues right now.

One of my concerns right now is diplomacy. Still kind of buggy and needs to be fixed (like when the losing faction asks for peace and DEMANDS money from you instead of offering if they are losing terribly).

My other concern is that the AI is still forming armies of basic/general units (like levies) instead of more advanced units as the turns progress. Kind of beats the point of actually assaulting. It's nice to always win, but again, battles last no more than 10 minutes. However, it might still be a little early for me to say this considering I started a new campaign.

Anyways, game is a LOT better and definitely worth buying now for those interested. More patches to come!

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-16, 18:00   Link #187
Tiberium Wolf

I have been playing parthia with 13 armored melee cav + 6 + general armored archer cav. It's insane the dmg they do.

BTW, when I got to Jerusalem area the city was in possession of axum... and I was wtf? Egypt was gone. Axum had a lot of prov there. I had an hard time time against them since they dont suffer attrition from the desert and always in forced march. Hunting for their armies was a pain in ass. But then again I got Jerusalem and other settlements from them in the area and leaving 1 army there they wouldn't attack at all... doh! T_T They won't come out of egypt.
Old 2013-10-18, 14:33   Link #188
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Patch 5 is out now everyone and it brings us the Seleucids (confirmed by my personally as well)
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ROME_II:_Patch_5
Old 2013-10-18, 16:45   Link #189
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

- The video memory footprint of battles has been reduced by up to 250MB.

Either they hired a genius or fucked up the code really bad in the first place.
Old 2013-10-21, 16:35   Link #190
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Just noticed that the steam mod workshop is open. Some mods are on there. Radious's mods are on there which is probably the most popular with all the overhauls he's done and I highly recommend getting his mods. There is a 2, 4, and 12-turn per year mod as well. The workshop doesn't have too many mods yet though, but it'll get there.

Old 2013-11-23, 02:25   Link #191
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Patch 7 went live yesterday. I kinda took a break since patch 4 or 5, but started a new on as house Julia of Rome and I definitely can tell a great improvement in the AI, overall FPS, and any bugs. I really like how they worked on unit formations and basically their overall "intelligence" during battle, especially during sieges. Their video they posted in regards to patch 7 mentioned something about putting back "rally points." IMO the game is totally worth buying, playing, and returning to now. Of course, one may want to wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales, but I recommend this as a definite pick up!

Oh yeah, new free DLC coming up. They will be releasing Baktria as a playable faction. They didn't say if they were adding any other playable factions, but free is free !

Old 2013-11-23, 05:12   Link #192
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Chariots man, chariots. They mow threw enemies like no tomorrow. They do not go amok like elephants, has some armor to take hits if they ever get stuck (elephants die easily to focus firing from arrows), the two units act as this lawn mower that tramples everything in the pathes.

In other news I think shock cavs are finally worth using since they made the AI try even hard to get unstuck (+density change). Sure, shock cavs are excellent at mowing down ranged units, but they fall pretty fast as soon as they get stuck in melee combat. Standard heavy cavs can easily have just stayed and fight.

There are still a lot of balance issues. The archer buff makes them better, but still imo, pales in comparison to ballistas. The ballista needs a good nerf vs units.

I don't have much interest in Baktria - I expect them to be played just like any other faction (except nomads).

Late game is ever so boring. I have so far only bothered to finish a single campaign: and that is with Arverni: simply because they can liberate thus an economic victory can be quite easily achieved... relatively speaking.

Rally Point is their little web show thing, nothing new.

This game is only fun for its battles (it does give a very epic feel): assuming you have a computer that can handle the unoptimized graphics. Other than that its actually quite boring (esp the campaign map portion: all my provinces essentially look the same and its often a cat-and-mouse game between me and forced marched armies).

Oh yeah politics system is still broken: no clue why I can no longer promote generals after the civil war, and the ending of the civil war does nothing if you are not Rome or Carthage.

I would only give this game a 6.5/10 if not for the "feel of the battle" - no other game lets you get the "I am commanding an army" feel better than TW. With that taken into account I would give it a 7.4/10.

I would wait for at least a 50% off sale. There are still a few major issues they gotta fix so no need to rush (ballistas and politics are what I would consider as minor there). How about to make my machine feel like a 386 during thunderstorms for a change?
Old 2013-11-23, 09:42   Link #193
Tiberium Wolf

Almost December and the game still sux. I feel like am alpha tester. I am done with TW game.
Old 2013-11-23, 11:19   Link #194
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Chariots man, chariots. They mow threw enemies like no tomorrow. They do not go amok like elephants, has some armor to take hits if they ever get stuck (elephants die easily to focus firing from arrows), the two units act as this lawn mower that tramples everything in the pathes.
Isn't that like the whole point of the chariots?

In any case I find that once they bog down into melee they fall like flies.

Quote:
Late game is ever so boring. I have so far only bothered to finish a single campaign: and that is with Arverni: simply because they can liberate thus an economic victory can be quite easily achieved... relatively speaking.
It's like that with every game in TW. Once you reach that point it's just a grindfest to get to your last objective.

The problem with TW games is they don't have anything worthwhile to getting to the end IMO.

Quote:
This game is only fun for its battles (it does give a very epic feel): assuming you have a computer that can handle the unoptimized graphics. Other than that its actually quite boring (esp the campaign map portion: all my provinces essentially look the same and its often a cat-and-mouse game between me and forced marched armies).
That doesn't make sense. All provinces look the same?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 18:41   Link #195
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Charitos and elephants need a more clear role:
Are they supposed to be AoE shock cavs? Then they need to do good AoE damage on charge then be able to withdraw.
Are they supposed to be line breakers? Then the damage needs to be lowered by a lot, but they should still be able to go through enemy infantry lines, knock them down and break formation.
Give them proper counter: ie: archers (with fire) has been good vs elephants.
Cavalry should be good vs chariots (right now chariots i think can handle even noble cavs which are stronger than cataphracts since cataphracts are shock cavs with low def and no shield).

The late game portion can be elegantly bandaided with diplomacy. Make it easier for you to make friends (not harder!) with force. This will cause the AI to form military alliances towards the military center of that region, and in late game you can use diplomacy to form military alliances with factions instead of steamrolling through that last 30 province needed for a victory condition.

All provinces look the same meaning the building setup is the same: (and ofc, they are REALLY slow at adding new maps - although they are doing it. Every coastal barbarian village all look the same with that little side entrance and a hill above it...)
Basically you want (for hellenic/rome factions):
In Capitals:
City hall public order building
Library
Public order Temple
Might want a sanitation building for growth, or 2nd temple for food, or a city center food building

On settlements:
Food temple
Farm

That's pretty much the optimal setup. It just feels... boring.

One of the problem with the TW devs is that I feel as if they are stuck in tunnel vision mode:
Take the patch 7 formation attack thing.
Ok, you got hoards of people crying about formation attack on the forums, so they added that in.
But then, what is the point of using formation attack? Tests have shown that the blob is most effective in combat. I feel they added it not giving that function a clear purpose.

The various formations need a noticeable stat boost and a way to counter them (ie: ballista/back flank/elephants).

Some formations like the diamond formation isn't even worth using. For an optimal charge you want to spread out your cavalry units so every one of them can get a charge, instead of blobbing up, move at a reduced speed, and only allow maybe 10 charges to go through while the rest are stuck behind other cav units.

The devs need to take a look at the big picture again. How do the pieces fit together? How to make a fun game?

An idea of a fun faction would be one that is heavily reliant on their agents. Think of a faction that might have trash as units but agents have higher chance of critical success and more powerful operations! (or maybe they will throw in additional code to change max army size! It doesn't make sense how a full size Roman army is the same size as a full size nomadic army at 20 stacks).

Oh, pikes still feel stupid to use and get stuck a lot.
Old 2013-11-24, 07:58   Link #196
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Almost December and the game still sux. I feel like am alpha tester. I am done with TW game.
Seems like someone expected too much of the game

Quote:
An idea of a fun faction would be one that is heavily reliant on their agents.
Probably not such a good idea. I think it was like patch 4 or something where they increased AI's use of agents to the point where every turn your agents/armies would get hit by dozens of agents from enemies or neutrals. It's definitely a lot better now with the agents.

Quote:
Oh, pikes still feel stupid to use and get stuck a lot.
I beg to differ. If you play defensively a lot like I did when I was Macedon, pikes/hoplites + archers make a good combo in any battlefield. Sure, their attack kinda sucks ballz, but they were made for defense. Mix up your army with swordsmen, not just full pikes. Phalanx is by far my most favorite formation of any unit (used to be Tetsudo but they seriously need to fix up the spacing of the units on that).

Old 2013-11-24, 11:09   Link #197
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Pikes are rather important for the defensive game. They are great once you have Catapults, as then with open battles it automatically forces the AI to come to you. Without Catapults the Pikes would be less useful. It is always better to play defensive if possible, just the nature of the units in that era.
Old 2013-11-24, 14:26   Link #198
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Pikes are only good for choke points. (roads in town/gates) In open battles they can be tedious to use. The AI will avoid your line of pikes and attempt to flank if they are put in the front lines. Heavy infantry does not run into that problem since they are still powerful out of formation. While in a heads on fight pike would win out in an open field, you can easily use the mobility of your idle heavy infantry to attack another group of enemies from behind. Good luck trying to do that with your pikes without them stopping whenever the poke a few guys to death.

ie:
Code:
  x         x    x
[ 1 ][ 2 ][ 3 ][ 4 ][ 5 ]
Groups 1,3,4 are fighting.
With pikes, 2 and 5 cannot easily help them out without getting stuck. While heavy infantry can go behind the forces of 1, 3 and 4 for a pretty nasty surround.
Old 2013-12-05, 00:21   Link #199
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...l-War-ROME-II?

Stand alone DLC coming out December 12th for $15 bucks. A new "campaign" mode focusing on Rome vs the Gaul tribes, where you can play as Rome or any of the 3 Gaul tribes on a campaign map spanning across 18 provinces with the focus on 24 turns per year.

In addition, they're adding 3 new playable factions to the regular campaign map: Nervii, Boii, and Galatians. They are also adding one historical battle. Too bad they aren't adding "new" units to the current factions. In fact, there is nothing being added to the current factions.

I'll most likely get it (even though I'm not sure all that is worth 15 bucks, but it COULD have been worse ), but it's time they come out with patch 8 that fixes whatever =/. I am looking forward to the mini-campaign because sometimes the regular campaign is just too overwhelming and I'll only have to focus on 18 provinces (which IMO is NOT enough to make the campaign worthwhile). Hopefully, since that this new campaign is a lot smaller, frame rate won't be terrible. Aside from that, still enjoying my time as Rome. My battles are actually lasting longer than before and require a bit more skill. Fighting "average" units alone still takes a toll on my Praetorians; however, I still love being able to defend against a 1 vs 3 barbarian army. My loss is high, but it definitely gives me the thrill of having elite soldiers of Rome defend against hordes of barbarians just as in the movies.

Old 2013-12-05, 23:21   Link #200
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

that totally seem like a part of the game that was cut from original content. Multiple turns/year (they could have at least implemented a setting in game), seasons, more events and such....