AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Who were your favorite characters? Multiple choice allowed!
Suzumiya Haruhi 625 64.77%
Kyon 587 60.83%
Nagato Yuki 569 58.96%
Asahina Mikuru 289 29.95%
Asakura Ryoko 159 16.48%
Koizumi Itsuki 175 18.13%
Kyon's Sister 145 15.03%
Kunikida 22 2.28%
Taniguchi 43 4.46%
Tsuruya 317 32.85%
Kimidori Emiri 37 3.83%
The ENOZ Girls 89 9.22%
Shamisen (the cat) 105 10.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 965. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-16, 22:29   Link #121
LCeh

I voted for Yuki only, since I don't really like the idea of voting for multiple characters, especially since the vote counts between the 3 main leads are so close.
Old 2006-09-16, 22:31   Link #122
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86
Well, I was trying point out that there were reasons of screentime and SOS-dan event participation for preferring Imouto over Asakura, and to be funny at the same time. Obviously, I FAILED at both, and managed to look like a flame to boot. Sorry about that, chief.

And yeah, I'm biased. I voted for Kyon and Yuki only. So Miss AA+ is not so high on my list
First off IF your apoilgising to me, no problem I don't really care, it's hard to tell and I'm tired. Second That's your opinion not mine so I don't really care and as I stated in a pervious post I respect yuki she just not my favourite character.
Old 2006-09-16, 23:01   Link #123
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86
Well, I was trying point out that there were reasons of screentime and SOS-dan event participation for preferring Imouto over Asakura, and to be funny at the same time. Obviously, I FAILED at both, and managed to look like a flame to boot. Sorry about that, chief.

And yeah, I'm biased. I voted for Kyon and Yuki only. So Miss AA+ is not so high on my list
Yeah, but listing a bunch of trivial actions of Imouto against important things Asakura failed to do and declaring Asakura a failure makes it seem more like an argument about their competence, where it's misleading. I guess I like Asakura enough that I didn't take it as a joke. My bad.

Personally I'm surprised her following is so small just because it's so common for villains to rival main characters in popularity, to say nothing of tertiaries like Imouto.
Old 2006-09-17, 00:11   Link #124
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan
Personally I'm surprised her following is so small just because it's so common for villains to rival main characters in popularity, to say nothing of tertiaries like Imouto.
I agree that villains are often popular, but the differences in SHnY are; the series in no way centers around said villainy, there's no simmering rivalry, and Ryoko simply disappears - she is totally absent from the middle of Ep 10 onwards in aired order, and it's even worse in chronological order. The popular villains are vanquished in the final or penultimate episodes, if they are defeated at all.

We'll agree to disagree on the tertiari-ness of Imouto. I'd call it secondari-ness instead
Old 2006-09-17, 01:22   Link #125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The only villain in this show is the situation itself that they must confront. Even Ryoko is simply confronting the situation in her own way. Hardly villainous.. more like innocent about the concept of death.
Old 2006-09-17, 01:32   Link #126
hirone
SOS ni Youkoso!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
The only villain in this show is the situation itself that they must confront. Even Ryoko is simply confronting the situation in her own way. Hardly villainous.. more like innocent about the concept of death.
True; since she IS a data entity, Ryoko admitted herself that she knew nothing of the concept of death or pain for that matter. For that reason, it's not totally her fault for trying to rush her job a bit.
Old 2006-09-17, 01:40   Link #127
Kikaifan
Blazing General

What she knows about death is immaterial; she's so singular in her purpose that I doubt a personal understanding of death would change her actions, and she has to at least have understood the significance we assign it given how well-developed her ability to empathize and interact with humans was.

But I don't think this is really about whether she has evil intent as much as her role in the series. She's a potent antagonist who menaces the main character, so calling her a villain seems appropriate even if she doesn't act out of malice.
Old 2006-09-17, 04:22   Link #128
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

Hmm, this talk of villains gets me to thinking. "Classic" villains are established early, present many threats to the hero, and are thwarted by the hero and his allies in the end.

So how about Haruhi as the villain? It may sound strange, but work with me here. C'mon...
Spoiler for ...imagine the possibilities:
So there are problems like lack of evil intent, and hanging out with the villain everyday in the clubhouse is weird too. But I think we could open new vistas in The Analysis of Haruhi Suzumiya with this bold new interpretation...
Old 2006-09-17, 09:10   Link #129
Kikaifan
Blazing General

She certainly antagonizes Kyon.
Old 2006-09-17, 20:27   Link #130
hirone
SOS ni Youkoso!?

I think we can all agree on some level that Haruhi is Kyon's worst adversary.
Old 2006-09-17, 20:46   Link #131
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirone
I think we can all agree on some level that Haruhi is Kyon's worst adversary.
It works the other way around, too
I've compared these two characters to Don Quixote and Sancho Panza elsewhere, and the more I think about it, the more it totally works. Although Kyon's quite a bit smarter and less permissive than Sancho
Old 2006-09-17, 22:31   Link #132
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well Don Quixote's malencholy comes with later on when his body fails him... before he feels the indignation to chivery ideal and sets forth to right that. I thought of the same thing as fatpianoboy at first of Haruhi but comes to conclude her as a tragic greek heroine in a greek comedy.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-09-18, 01:26   Link #133
bl4xb0x
AKA Merlow
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bl4xb0x Send a message via MSN to bl4xb0x Send a message via Yahoo to bl4xb0x
My votes went out to:
Nagato-san (first and foremost)
Haruhi (kind of had to in my opinion)
Asahina-san (she's just too cute)
Kyon (laid back, main character, story is told through his eyes)

Nagato was first and foremost because... I really don't know. The fact that she's the crazy ass humanoid interface that could get stabbed multiple times and not die, do almost anything at super human speed, recite incantations that do some of the craziest things, and in my opinion was the best character in the show. I don't know, maybe I'm just partial to the silent yet extremely off the wall types that wear glasses (At least for the first few episodes)

Haruhi, well, I don't think I can really exclude her, can I? The show is mostly centered around her. Eccentric, God-like, almost always detached from reality, she was a funny character. Sure, she was really annoying at times and you sometimes wanted to rip her head off, but in the end she turned out alright.

Asahina-san was just plain cute. She was one of those characters that you just wanted to hug like a teddy bear. She was nervous, sometimes inept, more than often than not being used at the whim of Haruhi, she carried a lot of the comic relief to the table and made me smile.

Kyon is just an overall cool guy. The story being told in his point of view, he provided a unique perspective that would not have been achieved if it was your standard 3rd person setup. I haven't seen many shows with a first person viewpoint to them and it was pretty refreshing to see that in this anime. That, and the fact that I thought this guy was a badass. That last move he made in the last episode, saying some things that I never thought would ever really fly with a girl before you kiss her, well. Actions do speak louder than words at this point.

Long? Yes. Just deal with it
Old 2006-09-21, 08:57   Link #134
LynRee
-

Voted for Haruhi and Mikuru.

Haruhi because, well... Maybe because of her weirdness and insane ideas. And an overall fun character.
Well, Mikuru... she's just too cute, I guess. :P Cannot resist that. And the way she starts shivering in fear when Haruhi is about to present one of her new ideas is hilarious.
Old 2006-12-23, 00:04   Link #135
Satsujin
mew~

I like 'em all. I love this anime
Old 2006-12-23, 04:21   Link #136
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Voted for Haruhi because of her energy and weirdnes
Voted for Yuki because, I think she's so cool specially the fight between her and Ryoko
Old 2006-12-23, 13:28   Link #137
Hagges01
Special UFO Hunter

Tsuruya Omega kawaii
and Yuki Omega "kakoi"

and Haruhi is Haruhi Omega all, she's our goddess
Old 2007-03-12, 04:54   Link #138
Shinkirou
Nageki hikari...

My favorite character is Tsuruya since she's sociable and "megas" cute.

My second is Yuki especially after...
Spoiler for the anime:

Third is Kyon: just have to love his narration skills.
Old 2007-12-02, 20:54   Link #139
phenom
Maebara Keiichi fan

Exclamation

kyon is the best and is the main character, story is told through his eyes.

go kyon
Old 2007-12-05, 21:36   Link #140
pcube19622
ho hee~
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to pcube19622
yuki and haruhi is awesome...i like kyon too...i can relate to him somehow just without the alien esper time traveler part...