AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 26 22.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 44.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 20.34%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 8.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-23, 13:30   Link #121
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Here's a bit of randomness... I'm wondering what month Comptiq magazine Kona was last reading... Reason being, I want her to read May 2007's issue.

(I want to see her reading an issue with herself on the cover!! That would just delight me to no end.)
Old 2007-05-23, 13:33   Link #122
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(offtopic)
Sales of fast food in Japan are plummeting (i.e. any downtrend scares the hell out of corporate) because the populace is figuring out they're getting fat... before they really have gotten fat. So old-fashioned bentos and traditional food are on the upswing again.

But seriously... if everyone around you is fat, its easier to miss the problem. When I visit "thinner" areas of the world, its just profound to me when I return home how overweight the population is.
(/offtopic)

As for Lucky*Star, I'd be among those who doesn't think the material *need* excessive "references" to succeed. The manga itself has a number of them but its in context with what the girls actually do. I didn't mind the Sgt. Frog insert... because people *actually* do like those things and have them (one of my son's has a Totoro on his cellphone, his girlfriend has a HelloKittyGothette on hers). People *do* come to school imitating their favorite characters or quoting lines... so the Marimite thing fits.

I guess the episode also succeeds for me because all the core characters got substantitive airtime (no one excessively dominated). Attention to detail in facial expressions was also a win (particularly Tsukasa and Kagami). Heh.... Kona-drool directly from the comic

@Konata-chan: Miyuki (at least in the 4 volumes of the manga so far) never *really* catches up to the others in terms of getting past superficial archetype. She does have a few "subverted paradigms" but not nearly as many as the other three girls. She also gets sidelined a bit when the other characters appear -- so I suspect the author got a bit of writer's block about what to do with her.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-05-23 at 14:34.
Old 2007-05-23, 13:58   Link #123
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Well this one made me hungry....too bad 7 wasn't as great as 6 and 5.
But this one was a-ok....XDDD really like how Tsukasa lost her mobilephone...awww kawaii baka X3.

I think they actually tried to make Miyuki more interresting this time 0.0"

But the guy didnt have to worry that people might switch the channel...This one was very different !

Did anyone got the part why Akira was so mad?
Old 2007-05-23, 14:05   Link #124
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsumiko View Post
Did anyone got the part why Akira was so mad?
Akira was angry because she was the one supposed to be wearing pigtails as per the letter recieved in either episode one or two. Instead, Shiraishi stole the show by doing it himself. Nothing gets her seeing red like horning in on her screen time.

Speaking of Lucky Channel, I was glad to see something a bit different this week. Just when I knew I'd be sick of it if they pulled out the same shtick, they switched it up a little. Granted, it's not the complete overhaul it's going to need very, very soon, but it kept me from getting bored.
Old 2007-05-23, 14:40   Link #125
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Nothing particularly witty to say this time, I guess he animation is back to normal from the improved animation we saw last time:

Spoiler:

I've noticed a bit of a pattern in my enjoyment where the first half of each episode seems to be drawn out and the second half is very funny. I liked the Cell Phone Scene, The Burger Joint Discussion, and The Blinding Light Joke. What I didn't like was the somewhat reused jokes that, while done much better and with variations this time, are still the same. Some Lazy Animation and Lucky Channel were a bummer as well and the ending was kind of awkard. Also two Game Penalties for product placement again brings things down by a point.

Normally we are looking at an 8.5 or so, but these problems brings down to about a 7 level for me. Seven Out of Ten.

Also about the alleged cheapshot at Kyoto Animation, while I do feel they tend to do the Moe thing a bit to much instead of characters, I should add I didn't get that at all from Tsukasa this episode. I think she is just a little manic and the fact that she got a lot of focus again made it look like they were going overkill with moe when in fact she just had a weird couple of days that made her hyper expressive.
Old 2007-05-23, 14:50   Link #126
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If one watches carefully, one will notice that Tsukasa is not as dumb as she seems in some ways... note how she carefully executes safety valve derails of the conversation anytime Kona and Kagami start overloading the nuclear reactor tubes. She has good "Team Management" attributes (but scores negative on Tech Magic ).

@Kaioshin: I do believe Kona's Marimite impression is supposed to be as scary as hell (firmly with Kagami's opinion there ). Kona-drool and tanktop was endearing in a messy way and Kona-dad is definitely cool, anxious to see him do his skits.
Old 2007-05-23, 15:17   Link #127
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If one watches carefully, one will notice that Tsukasa is not as dumb as she seems in some ways... note how she carefully executes safety valve derails of the conversation anytime Kona and Kagami start overloading the nuclear reactor tubes. She has good "Team Management" attributes (but scores negative on Tech Magic ).

@Kaioshin: I do believe Kona's Marimite impression is supposed to be as scary as hell (firmly with Kagami's opinion there ). Kona-drool and tanktop was endearing in a messy way and Kona-dad is definitely cool, anxious to see him do his skits.
He does indeed have a voice actor, and it's Daba Myroad from Heavy Metal L-Gaim (One of my favourite Yoshiyuki Tomino Mecha Stories). I can't wait to here the Yaman Clan frontman again.
Old 2007-05-23, 15:43   Link #128
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Wow. That Marimite parody was so scary, it was hilarious! Great display of vocal variety.

I also totally identify with what Konata said about never replying to e-mails when I can simply see the person in real life. It's a habit that I've recieved many complaints about too. >_<
Old 2007-05-23, 16:10   Link #129
a hobbit
a hibbity hobbity hooobit

I loved this episode =P all the cellphone parts were hilarious, but I must agree with Mirrinus that the Marimite parody was pretty scary lol ^^
Old 2007-05-23, 16:26   Link #130
Dop
Mmmm....

Ok, I've seen the episode now...

Konata's Marimite moment was almost scary in its execution, but topped when she talked like that to Miyuki who didn't notice anything wrong! That was probably the best part of the episode.

"Right now", I thought, "There are people doing fan art of Konata in a Lillian uniform and posting it on the internet. Be afraid, be very afraid..."

But still Kona-chan, going from Marimite to Strawberry Panic, I mean, that's a bit of a come-down isn't it?
Old 2007-05-23, 17:50   Link #131
tacobueno

Kinda enjoyed this episode overall, which was a first, and the Lucky Channel thing at the end was surprisingly funny. Definite improvement here .

oop meant to rate it a 7 not a 6 doh
Old 2007-05-23, 20:11   Link #132
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
~
If she feels like a pig at 100 pounds, then me, at my 105~110 must be a cow... j/k. (OK, I admit I felt a little bad when I figured I was "unhuggable". )
Height is a factor too. You can't just solely look at the weight. Vexx's wife is very, very petite (as in, Konata-petite). If Person A is 170cm tall and weighs 50kg, then that person is underweight. If Person B is 150cm tall and weighs 50kg, then that person is normal.

Person A's BMI = 50 / 1.7² = 17.30
Person B's BMI = 50 / 1.5² = 22.22

[Just for trivia, my current BMI is 18.94]

So unless you're a midget ("But, I'm just a Gnome..."), your weight doesn't seem particularly heavy (I'm terrible at interpreting non-metric values though ).

Quote:
I hope no one takes this offensively. I was going to mention this before... perhaps many guys like heavier women because they seem to make up the bulk of women available? If you don't have much choice, take what you've got? At least in the U.S...

I recently saw a Korean news report on how overweight children are becoming a problem there due to the spread and popularity of fast food restaurants... then saw a chart that said only 3% of people there are overweight (compared to some very large percentage I've forgotten (*swt*) for the U.S.). I can't really empathize with the Korean viewpoint but I'm glad they're trying to do something about it now before it gets out of hand.
The one time I went to the USA, it was to Seattle (in 2005). Not once did it ever occur to me that the general populace there was scale-heavy (if anything, the people there seem to be very healthy, in a "we exercise everyday" kind of healthy).

Of course, being a coastal city, Seattle boasts a lot of seafood in their daily diet, which is already naturally less "fattening" than red meat, so that might be a contributing factor. Mmm... I still savour at the thought of their Salmon.

So I am guessing it also varies from city to city.
~~~~ ~~~~

From this point on, the tone of my post will be rather blunt, and if the person reading this is particularly sensitive about weight-issues, then please cease immediately and go on to the next post. Politically-correct be damned.

Spoiler for thoughts' length:
Cheers.
Old 2007-05-23, 20:30   Link #133
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
@archanfels
7) You remind of the dad of the hero in Natsuiro no Sunadokei, who'll gladly eat what his wife cooks everyday. And yes, they're not very tasty to say the least. 'Must be the power of love' LOL
Maybe. Or maybe after 7 years in Kagami's case, whoever's her husband would gladly eat her frugally made bento...because the alternative is to see her breath fire.

As for me, I can't speak for my future self....but me as I am now would happily eat Kagami's bento anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Nobody ever said they had the best writing staff. I find this is how they usually score points when either they don't want to develop a character or can't for whatever reason. This is the premier complaint about the studio and something I think they need to work on.
Gee, where have I heard that before?

Moving on to more useful discussion.

Quote:
The one I think would never get a b/f is Kona... sure guys would want her, but it seems like she'd be too preoccupied with gaming and anime to care. XD
I just hope she doesn't turn out to be one of those "e-skanks" that was on everybody's mouths a while back...

Quote:
If she feels like a pig at 100 pounds, then me, at my 105~110 must be a cow... j/k. (OK, I admit I felt a little bad when I figured I was "unhuggable". )
Unhuggable? Hardly. One needs at least some flesh to be "huggable" in my reckoning....so don't feel bad, I'll hug you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata-chan View Post
I'm glad that's the consensus around here. It makes my already low self-esteem improve (I'm a bit plump myself if you ever see me IRL)
Oh shut up, I'll hug you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Spoiler for thoughts' length:
Must feel nice.
Old 2007-05-23, 20:57   Link #134
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Ah, I'm well aware of BMI. I was just joking - I know I'm not heavy at all. This site is good for calculating your BMI... and for the record, we have the same BMI.. I'm also 18.9. XD When I lose weight over the summer I'll probably be back at 18 again... same every year.

As for Kona being an "e-skank"... never! She's too busy obtaining swords and loincloths for junk like that. XD
Old 2007-05-23, 21:41   Link #135
Dracil
Yama

Woot! I've actually sung the ending song at karaoke!

I first heard it on NHK's annual year-end Kouhaku Uta Gassen
Old 2007-05-23, 21:41   Link #136
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
~
Must feel nice.
All in the name of fun and laughter.
~~~~ ~~~~

The following is based on [a.f.k.]'s fansub-

Random Thoughts on Ep07:
---- ----
  • After mimicking the artstyle of Initial D and MariMite, I wonder what other artstyles will KyoAni attempt to parody? The sadist in me ponders the idea of them doing a "Cabbage Love" quality episode. Ep06 was probably the closest they ever got to ramping the animation quality to Air(TV)-levels (in other words, GROSS OVERKILL).

Meanwhile, I am just bidding my time to see them insert a lambda-driver special effect in an episode. Then the circle will be complete.
  • Kagami did the feline smile too!

• The "ojou-sama" style of speech is apparently normal to Miyuki. How... fitting.
  • Kagami choosing her major so that she would be with the others. The banter between her and Konata just cracks me up. Especially when she went hysterical at Tsukasa's loose lips.
  • There were two morbid sequences in this episode. The first one was the cicada. A set-up, the middle, and the bad end. Same for Keroro. A set-up, the middle, and the bad end. I wonder if the animators were trying to convey some message here?
  • Strawberry Panic! Suzumi Tamao!

• Lots of note-worthy quotes in this episode.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kagami
    Well... It's not happening again.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Konata
    They say that when you diet, you lose weight in the places you don't want to first.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kagami
    You suck. You're worse than a child.
  • I have to give props to Kagami's VA again for her brilliant delivery in voicing out Kagami. A lot of the humour in her dialogue comes from the way she says it. Reading her lines alone, the words don't seem particularly funny, but when you HEAR it, it becomes gut-bustingly funny.
  • I will have to admit that Miyuki's squinting at the blackboard was adorable.
  • Tsukasa wins this episode's Cute Award though, with her frantic expressions over her handphone.
  • I wonder if the girls will ever visit Miyuki's home?
  • Lucky Channel was funny this time, in mortifying sort of way.
Cheers.
Old 2007-05-23, 22:21   Link #137
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

My random thoughts:

- Tsukasa stole the show with her phone (and its death). Must have converted a whole lot of people with that one.

- Kona x Kagamin moments aren't as awesome as I thought they would be.

- Not news: When Kagamin comments that Kona's communication habits would lose her a lot of friends, Kona simply replied that she doesn't care. News: Kagamin gets distressed by that.

- Kagamin picked classes just to be with Kona et al. Conclusion: She doesn't have friends either.

- On Kona's dad, to quote ZOMGFTA Fullmetal Alchemist scanlation team: "HOBOLICIOUS!"

- Lucky Channel gets my vote back. Go Shirashi.

- Miyuki's singing is hysterical.

I think Kona's being shown in a bad light this episode.
Old 2007-05-24, 01:49   Link #138
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Kagami note: yes, I'd eat her bento, she needs a hug, her aggravation just makes me want to hug her more (even when she breathes fire). Oye.. and she's lousy at cooking and housework: tradition dictates that she's great at something else (the preceding is purely mythical).
I must be getting sicker and sicker in the head every day; this is like, the third time I'm rereading this, and for some reason, when I came across that line, I was thinking of a very specific "something else".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
  • There were two morbid sequences in this episode. The first one was the cicada. A set-up, the middle, and the bad end. Same for Keroro. A set-up, the middle, and the bad end. I wonder if the animators were trying to convey some message here?
AIR (TV), perhaps?
Old 2007-05-24, 01:57   Link #139
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-24, 02:42   Link #140
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
~
AIR (TV), perhaps?
Nah. The seagull in Ep06 was Air(TV), but not this cicada. It just felt so... random. I mean, I doubt it was in the 4Koma, so what possessed them to animate in detail, the life and death of a cicada?

"Okay folks, for this week, we're going to animate several ants tearing a cicada apart."

Sometimes I wonder whether these segments are their weekly practice in animation techniques or something. Otherwise it would be a huge waste of their budget (unless they're rolling in the dough and couldn't care less about expenses (especially since their Kanon(2006) DVDs are consistently making the Top10 List for Anime DVD sales)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Hehe. I found Konata's little act of being a lady to be funny but at the same time it rubs me the wrong way. I would say it wasn't the 360 personality shift but her dang eyes just...freak me out.
~
It's a satire of MariMite's artstyle. See if you can survive this short (but "badass") AMV of MariMite.

Worlds Apart (Catholic Schoolgirls in Trouble)

Cheers.