AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-10-16, 01:59   Link #2681
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Finally got my hands on my hardcover edition of Sigh... and I gotta say... I'm not that impressed.

Comparing the translations available online versus the "official" translation is like comparing a painting of a park to a map of the very same park...

Sure, the map is informative but it just isn't the same... When reading a book like this... I really want the Kyon experience and the pictures he paints with his wordy (sometimes too wordy) descriptions...
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 02:06   Link #2682
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is considered rather interesting that KyoAni seemed to have improved on this novel when they adapted it...probably for the same reason...visuals of the wordy descriptions

(A nebula....really Haruhi?)
Old 2009-10-16, 03:39   Link #2683
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Finally got my hands on my hardcover edition of Sigh... and I gotta say... I'm not that impressed.

Comparing the translations available online versus the "official" translation is like comparing a painting of a park to a map of the very same park...

Sure, the map is informative but it just isn't the same... When reading a book like this... I really want the Kyon experience and the pictures he paints with his wordy (sometimes too wordy) descriptions...
Assuming you refer to the B-T translation (as most do), this has got to be the first time I've ever seen B-T come out on the less...dry side of any comparison. With the edit-by-wiki process, it is a "correct" translation, but in some places it does seem to read like a text book, and not just the Yuki monologues...

I quite liked the official Sigh translation, myself, but I admit it could be better. Particularly I always got a more British feel from the B-T translations (due to the heavy Commonwealth presence among the admins and editors, no doubt), as Kyon's diatribes especially evoked a Douglas Adams-as-otaku feel at times. And I do miss that in the more white-bread official version. And then you factor in the official version's primary demographic, which only the official translator (and not B-T) is writing for.
Old 2009-10-17, 11:34   Link #2684
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I got an email from rightstuf that my copy of manga volume 4 has shipped! I'll probably get it Monday or Tuesday.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 20:51   Link #2685
Solachinx
is a myth

Got my hardcover for Sigh today, but I haven't gotten to it yet because of other menial tasks.
Old 2009-10-26, 01:11   Link #2686
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Referencing this from the Character: Haruhi thread, since it belongs more correctly here, and I imagine the previous bits of the discussion will soon follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
In addition, Koizumi has only referred to him as "Kyon" once... he did it to mock him, as I recall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldruined View Post
Thank you!

I thought the "Kyon" was weird -- not only because Koizumi never refers to him directly like that, but it didn't make sense in a scene in which they were the only people involved. No need to address the person you're already speaking to by name.

I did a search for "Kyon-kun" on all nine translated novels and didn't find any instance of Koizumi saying it; it's pretty much always Asahina-san (big and small), Tsuruya-san, or Kyon's sister. I even checked the Haruhi Theater shorts and came up with zilch. If nothing else, I might go back and slowly work my way through the books searching for just "Kyon", but that's obviously going to take a while longer. XD

And we are so totally off-topic... Better have these posts moved to the Novel discussion thread, maybe, since it's dealing more with translations than characterization?
Pretty sure that Itsuki doesn't ever call Kyon "Kyon", unless it's Kaisos' aforementioned dig at him. I believe it was suggested either here or over in the B-T forums that Itsuki is actually calling Kyon by his actual name, but Kyon's unreliable narratorness edits that out, similarly (one assumes) to the way he does for all the one name only/nickname only characters (Tsuruya, CCP, etc.). I believe it was suggested because while Yuki never directly speaks to anyone using their name, much less Kyon (she always either answers questions or starts talking without preamble), Itsuki does speak to others using their names (Haruhi, Mikuru, etc...) but noticeably not to Kyon. In short, the "Hey, Kyon"s you would expect to hear from Itsuki but don't are really there, just edited out so that we don't discover Kyon's real name.
Old 2009-10-26, 11:56   Link #2687
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
...while Yuki never directly speaks to anyone using their name...
Nagato hardly ever speaks to anyone period, with the obvious exception of Kyon.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 10:50   Link #2688
Tabasco

In fairness, she does talk to
Spoiler for Book 9:
There had to be some communication involved in that.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 11:27   Link #2689
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Alternately...
Spoiler for Vol9:
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 21:56   Link #2690
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Pretty sure that Itsuki doesn't ever call Kyon "Kyon", unless it's Kaisos' aforementioned dig at him. I believe it was suggested either here or over in the B-T forums that Itsuki is actually calling Kyon by his actual name, but Kyon's unreliable narratorness edits that out, similarly (one assumes) to the way he does for all the one name only/nickname only characters (Tsuruya, CCP, etc.). I believe it was suggested because while Yuki never directly speaks to anyone using their name, much less Kyon (she always either answers questions or starts talking without preamble), Itsuki does speak to others using their names (Haruhi, Mikuru, etc...) but noticeably not to Kyon. In short, the "Hey, Kyon"s you would expect to hear from Itsuki but don't are really there, just edited out so that we don't discover Kyon's real name.
That theory has crossed my mind before, too, and I can totally buy it as a possibility.

Still waiting for confirmation of the instance Kaisos mentioned, though. I haven't had any luck finding it so far.
worldruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 12:22   Link #2691
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
There's actually a five months gap between the release of the first two books. We might have Boredom in March.
Sorry to quote a post from a while ago, but I just found that Amazon, and ONLY amazon.com has listed the english edition of Boredom as coming out on August 5, 2010. They have the following ISBN numbers, which don't show up in a google search anywhere.

Hard cover:
ISBN-10: 0316038865
ISBN-13: 978-0316038867

Paperback:
ISBN-10: 0316038873
ISBN-13: 978-0316038874

It's listed as having 272 pages as well. Since the ISBN numbers aren't found anywhere else that I've found so far, take this information with a grain of salt until we find out more.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 16:24   Link #2692
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
I found all numbers at http://isbndb.com, and also in most sites listed there.

Including one that has the english paperback cover.

Nevermind, it is the manga. Sorry.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 00:24   Link #2693
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
It's listed as having 272 pages as well. Since the ISBN numbers aren't found anywhere else that I've found so far, take this information with a grain of salt until we find out more.
Forget the grain of salt, take the whole salt lick. Boredom is almost exactly as long as Melancholy, and Melancholy was only 202. I personally expect Boredom around April or May of next year. No reason not to try to keep to a six-month schedule as long as they can...
Old 2009-10-29, 10:28   Link #2694
Tabasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Alternately...
Spoiler for Vol9:
True to the second, but possibly to the first.
Spoiler for Vol 9:
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 15:12   Link #2695
TakariCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Spoiler for Vol 9:
Spoiler for Volume 9:
TakariCritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 16:47   Link #2696
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I hope in the 10th novel we get summa 'dis
Spoiler for Summa 'dis :D:
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 16:50   Link #2697
Solachinx
is a myth

Explanation for the ignorants? Who, what when where why how?
Old 2009-10-29, 16:53   Link #2698
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
She'll probably scream:

(derived from Metal Gear)
Kyon, get up! Kyon? KYYYYYYOOOONNNNNN!!
or
John... wake up! Please? John? JOOOOOHHHHHHHNNNNN!!
Old 2009-10-29, 17:02   Link #2699
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I was thinking more of a "Who's it gonna be? Me or Sasaki!?" kind of thing
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 20:13   Link #2700
Sho-tan
Seitenkan's Shota

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
I hope in the 10th novel we get summa 'dis
Spoiler for Summa 'dis :D:
Like Solachinx said, where is this from?
Sho-tan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga