AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 40 40.40%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 32.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 21.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.05%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.01%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-10, 18:32   Link #61
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Animation: terrible as always .... very jerky, quite a shame.
I didn't notice anything jerky. It looks just like any other anime would. Spice and Wolf is animated at 8 frames per second. A standard in the anime industry which nearly ever series follows. Any jerkiness you might be referring to could be sign of a bad encode.

Quote:
its just sad they couldn't budget the frame rate.
This is exactly what we don't want. Budgeting usually results in quality loss.

Quote:
Vocals.... it *seems* like Horo has lost a deep note in her voice but I need to go back and listen to season one. Lawrence's voice also seems a bit squeezed. It has me wondering if the recording equipment is different or if the fansub encoding has squeezed the audio a bit.
Horo sounds exactly the same as she did in season I.. although I will admit Lawrence sounds a tiny bit different; in a slightly deeper and more mature tone.. I think it fits his refreshed character design.
Old 2009-07-10, 19:08   Link #62
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

A wonderful episode (to be expected from a great series).

I think this ep has set the tone that the themes of separation and loneliness are going to be much more prominent in this series. Already in this episode, we've had some very overt references to what might happen when Lawrence and Horo eventually part ways. In the first series this was only occasionally brought up as a "difficulty", approached with an attitude that it didn't have to be dealt with for a long time yet, but now it's much more imminent, and much more real, and the bond between Lawrence and Horo is much stronger and more intimate than it was back then when they were just traveling companions who were convenient to each other.

I think we got a real glimpse in this episode of just how much Horo needs Lawrence. She was surprised when Lawrence said "you're not even my type" (although the way she responded was classic) and we flashbacked to the scene in the first series where she said "loneliness is a sickness that leads to death". There's this great incompatibility between Horo and Lawrence in that they both have vastly different concepts of the passage of time. What makes them so... endearing, I guess... to watch is that they're both seem fairly committed to figuring out how to overcome that incompatibility somehow.
Old 2009-07-10, 19:15   Link #63
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Perhaps I am forgetting something, but what ever happened to the Shepherdess? I watched episode 0 and she was still around, but she is suddenly gone in episode 1 of season 2 with no explanation?
She went one way, Lawrence and Horo the other. Just as planned. In episode 0, they were still in Rubinhagen, celebrating their success. They've moved on.
Old 2009-07-10, 19:36   Link #64
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Great episode, I thought it had most if not all the feel it had the first season. The voice acting was a bit off at first, but it wasn't hard getting used to. It is the same people, after all. I'll be looking forward to this series every week once more.
Old 2009-07-10, 19:42   Link #65
Cipher

Its been a thousand years since I've waited for this episode. I rated it Very Good since I'm expecting more dramatic and powerful scenes such as those in the first season. What makes it one of my favorites is its uniqueness that tips to my favor, serene setting, and a character like Holo that brings out its true Spice.

Although the more "mature and weak" Holo IS more suiting to my taste compared to the "moe" Holo, the lessening of that appearance will only increase my yearning.

The author truly is something.

Lelouch's and Kallen's seiyus does bother me a little.
Old 2009-07-10, 20:35   Link #66
Yuutsu

Maybe it's just me, but a few people seem to be noticing things like jerky animation or whatnot in Spice and Wolf. I'd have to say that I have a pretty discerning eye (kinda), but I've never noticed anything like that when I watched Spice. The only conclusion I can draw after watching this episode is that the overall production values and quality has improved significantly when compared to the previous season. The edges of objects are softer now, as if anti-alised, the colour palette is softer, and the backgrounds are much more detailed; however, there's always the possibility that my love of Spice is clouding my judgment.

Last edited by Yuutsu; 2010-01-03 at 03:35.
Old 2009-07-10, 21:07   Link #67
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well finally watched it subbed and enjoyed, yet again, the great dynamic between Horo and Lawrence. These two play off one another fantastically, and I have to say that I don't think I've ever watched a series thats so driven by a pair of characters, which speaks volumes about the qualities of both Horor and Lawrence. I especially liked the scene where Horo discusses how Lawrence's attitude has changed since they first met, as it showed how much their relationship is changing and how much it's evolved. That growth in the characters is perhaps what makes this such a wonderful show to watch.

As for the comments about the animation, I wasn't aware of any noticable problems while watching the episode.
Old 2009-07-10, 21:16   Link #68
Yuutsu

Yeah, I agree with the poster above of me. I'm surprised that the relationship between Horo and Lawrence is as good as it is, considering that you are unable to peer into Lawrence's thoughts as opposed to the novel. You're only an objective observer, not a limited-omniscient/omniscient one, so some details have been missed from the transition from the novel to the anime; however, Lawrence is still as good a character as ever, even if we can't partake in his thoughts. : )
Old 2009-07-10, 23:12   Link #69
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
^
Well, the one who hooked me up with the 1st season OP is the translation lyrics. Perhaps if we understand the lyrics, we would like it better ^^; (assuming that you still don't know what the lyrics mean though. At least the sub that I got doesn't have the translation)
Well, the OP in season 1 was sad and moving at the same time. It had a very nice tune that would stick in your head as well.

The OP for season 2 is just bleh...very plain and nothing noteworthy.
Old 2009-07-11, 03:24   Link #70
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
Well, the OP in season 1 was sad and moving at the same time. It had a very nice tune that would stick in your head as well.

The OP for season 2 is just bleh...very plain and nothing noteworthy.
I think we were just spoiled by first season's OP and ED, both were great. Second season's are ok. Nothing bad about them, but nothing great either. It's just that compared to first season they look even worser than they really are.
Old 2009-07-11, 03:37   Link #71
salv87
Can't think of a title^_^

Ep 0 was based on side story from volume 7, ch3.. so basically it has nothing to do with the main flow of the series itself.. just imagine it took place right before they left town in the end of the 1st season
As for me, I still have the pleasure of watching the first episode before me ^_^
Old 2009-07-11, 07:27   Link #72
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I should probably come to the defense of the show's economic theory scenes, considering the fact that I think I learned more about classical economics watching the first season than an entire semester's worth of Eco101.
Old 2009-07-11, 08:14   Link #73
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuutsu View Post
Maybe it's just me, but a few people seem to be noticing things like jerky animation or whatnot in Spice and Wolf. I'd have to say that I have a pretty discerning eye (kinda), but I've never noticed anything like that when I watched Spice. The only conclusion I can draw after watching this episode is that the overall production values and quality has improved significantly when compared to the previous season. The edges of objects are softer now, as if anti-alised, the colour palette is softer, and the backgrounds are much more detailed; however, there's always the possibility that my love of Spice is clouding my judgment. : )
Actually I felt the same way, thought it was a nice improvement over the first season in regards to animation.
Old 2009-07-11, 09:15   Link #74
Starburst
Horo♥

Watched the episode last night with Mazui's version 2. I refrained from getting their release at first because I didn't know the group. But the translation seemed decent, nothing seemed to stand out as poorly done.

The episode was very cute, I loved how much of a flirt Horo was. I do still miss the old character design, there were times when I thought the new one didn't quite look right. But it's growing on me.

I couldn't help but smile for most of the episode though, I truely am jealous of their relationship. Lawrence is still a fool though. Such a fool. I want to smack some sense into him.

The worst part, I read the 2 novels for this season, so I know what's going to happen. But I can't help but still talking to the screen and telling Lawrence what he should be doing, even though I know he's going to do it anyway and what troubles will be caused because of it.

Oh well... <3 Horo
Old 2009-07-11, 10:40   Link #75
Journeyman
That boring guy

Okay, the RAW of first episode is way too tempting after a year of withdrawal

I restrain myself from watching the ongoings, but I couldn't resist watching the first season episode by episode. And now it happens again.

Unlike many of the people in this thread, I was never a fan of Akino Arai and just chuckled at the new OP.
Then I decided to listen to it again...
And again.

It fits. The emotions in "Tabi no Tochuu" were following the flow of both story arcs. It is the same in the new OP, but we are now going into romance, love triangles and nail trading.

Spoiler for noteworthy things in the OP:

ED was a pleasant surprise...a major spoiler in itself and a nice way to finish off the episode with a more serious "wailing tune".

Spoiler for ED:

Last edited by Journeyman; 2009-07-11 at 11:12.
Old 2009-07-11, 10:50   Link #76
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I should probably come to the defense of the show's economic theory scenes, considering the fact that I think I learned more about classical economics watching the first season than an entire semester's worth of Eco101.
I've always liked the econimic aspects of this show. It's an interesting addition which has always been very informative. To me it's the icing on the cake that is this great show.
Old 2009-07-11, 11:38   Link #77
Starburst
Horo♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

Spoiler for noteworthy things in the OP:
Answering in Spoiler...

Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-11, 12:29   Link #78
Kaguya
an idler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
I've always liked the econimic aspects of this show. It's an interesting addition which has always been very informative. To me it's the icing on the cake that is this great show.
Such as upvaluation of RMB and violent fluctuation of a gas price, S&W has taken in advance the topic of the present world economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
Answering in Spoiler...

Spoiler:
About the characters in OP
Spoiler for for volume 4 info:

Last edited by Kaguya; 2009-07-11 at 12:49.
Old 2009-07-11, 12:46   Link #79
velvet nightmare

how's lawrence's financial standings at the start of this series?

iirc he should still be well off from 00 (i remember from the ending of last season they didnt get as much as they'd like but it was a good amount no?)

from what i get from ep1 this season it seems like he's back to square 1 and has to start from scratch again
Old 2009-07-11, 13:49   Link #80
Yuutsu

Quote:
how's lawrence's financial standings at the start of this series?
In regards to your first question, I think Lawrence did in fact get a fairly good-sized remuneration (if I remember correctly). He was offered liquid money, but he declined and, instead, asked for some spice to trade.

Quote:
from what i get from ep1 this season it seems like he's back to square 1 and has to start from scratch again
In this instance, I don't think it's so much that he's back to square one as it is that he's being more cautious, especially after the crucible he just went through, which was caused in part by his greed.

However, this is just my interpretation of the events so far, and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Closed Thread