AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 82 52.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 59 37.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 6.37%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.64%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.64%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-02, 22:41   Link #61
Raniie

Yup, that scarf don't belong to Shiori. Beside, Shiori wear a shawl.

Anyway, for people that downloaded SS-Eclipse's release. Here's an alternative updated sub file, there are some changes to the Typesetting / Timing. This isn't the official SS-Eclipse v2 release, so don't bug them about it.

Updated to include fixes Mentar mentioned: Full episode 1 to 18 translation package
DivShare File - [SS-Eclipse]_[R]_Kanon_2006_Subs_1-18v2c.zip - Multi-color dialogue version.

DivShare File - [SS-Eclipse]_Kanon_-_18_(h264)_[AF879877].rar - SS-E default color version for episode 18 only.

If there are problems or errors, let me know, or just correct them yourself.

Last edited by Raniie; 2007-02-11 at 12:29.
Old 2007-02-02, 23:26   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, I'm going to join the slowly growing group that thinks this series is best watched in batches (3 or 4 episodes at a time) so that the continuity of mood is maintained and built. Quite a manic/depressive episode from the party to the aftermath.... whatever Shiori's fate in this adaptation, they've done a pretty good job of depicting the transience of things and how important it is to *be* in those moments and enjoy them.
Old 2007-02-02, 23:40   Link #63
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

I'm away for one day and we're on the 4th page?
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Well we finally see some serious deviation from the game script this time, but the changes do make a lot of sense.
The changes are needed, both to accomdate the timeline change and Yuuichi's "big brother" role change this time around. Kyoani's way of doing it might have felt a little forced (in terms of plot development. Character development, on the other hand, felt right), but I think they did a good job with the storyboard anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Spoiler:
Next week is supposedly a Nayuki episode. Either way, it'll feature original developments which might give us some hint of the final ending.

As for the Ayu ending vs Nayuki ending thing. I don't get why some people react so strongly to comments like "we might have a Nayuki ending" (the same thing's happening over at 2ch with Japanese fans). There's no point in arguing because there's no telling what Kyoani will do (original developments, for example). But just because some Nayuki-fans are hoping for a Nayuki-end doesn't mean they should be slammed.
Old 2007-02-02, 23:40   Link #64
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raniie View Post
Yup, that scarf don't belong to Shiori. Beside, Shiori wear a shawl.

Anyway, for people that downloaded SS-Eclipse's release. You might want to grab this updated sub file, there is a number of typo fixes.

DivShare File - [SS-Eclipse]_Kanon_-_18_(h264)_[AF879877].ass - Multi-color dialogue version.

DivShare File - [SS-Eclipse]_Kanon_-_18_(h264)_[AF879877].zip - SS-E default color version.

If there are problems or errors, let me know, or just correct them yourself.

Is it just for the h264 file or do we need this for the AVI as well?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2007-02-02, 23:46   Link #65
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to fireshark
rogueblade: pure snows, from Kanon ~re-feel~ piano arrangement.
Old 2007-02-02, 23:46   Link #66
Raniie

Well, the SS-E AVI files are hardsubbed. So loading the new sub manually will have overlapping text on the avi version. If you have the raw episode, you can load the sub on that clean video. Other than that, yeah the *.ass sub file works best with the h264 version.

Hmm, I read your question wrong. Well, the AVI version are hardsubs, so yes, they contain typos, and can only be fixed by a v2 release of another AVI file (which I have no control over). The h264 version don't need a complete re-encode tho, just need that small *.ass file to fix things up.
Old 2007-02-02, 23:52   Link #67
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmm, I'm going to join the slowly growing group that thinks this series is best watched in batches (3 or 4 episodes at a time) so that the continuity of mood is maintained and built.
I'm in the group. I plan on rewatching the series start to finish in the 24 hour wait for the episode 26 sub, to build up a really strong mood for the last episode. Though I'm avoiding it until then, so I don't accidentally remember the little things that have slipped my memory.
Old 2007-02-02, 23:57   Link #68
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well, in the course of trying to hunt down images, I have come to agree with this argument, since I felt battered after going through just the Makoto arc in 1 go. Kanon is really engrossing from the grand perspective.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2007-02-03, 00:03   Link #69
Raniie

Yeah, this series seem to have it's segments layout quite clearly.

Episode 1-2 for introduction ; slice-of-life themes.
Episode 3-6 ; Comedy.
Episode 7-10 ; Bittersweet Tragedy / Drama.
Episode 11 ; Rebound (slice-of-life + comedy).
Episode 12-15 ; Action / Drama.
Episode 16-18 ; Romance / Drama.
Episode 19+ ; ???
Old 2007-02-03, 00:34   Link #70
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
At this point, time stopped for me. It felt like this scene by the fountain was going to continue forever and I had hoped so. But really, the ending theme was 30 seconds away and it hit me like a truck going 90 on the highway. I had absolutely no time to absorb all this light and sound, no time to deal with the shock of the resolution of this episode. In short, I felt it, but I couldn't feel it that long nor could I feel it the length I wanted it.

So what am I trying to tell myself and to others? Okay, I'll be honest. This episode didn't affect me in terms of mood. It ran out of time. The ending was timed incorrectly. Everything else was good. Great, even. Shiroi is beautiful. The party was awsome and it really emphasized something BIG. Their last few hours that they spent together was magnificent and the animation definately highlighted that. The confession felt real. It looked real. Everything was perfect. She kissed him; my heart sunk (and you'll never make a smooth .gif with that scene! KyoAni has made certain of that!). I was touched.

And then I see this letter in the snow, which is good and all in terms of drama. But really, this came too fast. He looked desparate. He was desparate to find her; it's so apparent on his face. But we cut to a shot of this letter. It's like, "jeez, this can't be real. This is too sudden."
Agreed! Agreed! Agreed!

I scratched my head with a dumb look on my face (I didn't see it, but I'm sure it looked dumb) as soon as Ayu started running in the ending sequence. Impatiently, I skipped to the preview, and waaaat? Where is Shiori? Does it mean that's the end of the Shiroi arc? No resolution, nothing? The yuki-hime is just going to disappear like that?

Everything was so abrupt from the second part of this episode, there was just no time for absorption. In fact, I'm not even sure how to describe what is bothering me about this episode. The music felt surreal, almost out of this world. The detail of attention paid for some of the lighting effect and shadowing were mind blowing even though I know I should get used to it by now. I've also enjoyed the first half for various reason. The main reason would be how tense the atmosphere felt with those seemingly daily interaction with Yuiichi by everyone. Yuiichi seemed to have got up in the morning and was waiting for the clock to start calling. Everything from that first half seemed like a constant reminder that events would be leading to a certain climax, but then ..................................................

Quote:
But yeah. What happened?
"What happened" indeed! May be understanding will start dawning once we see the next episode? Or may be KyoAni has some other surprise in store for us? All I can hope for at this moment is for a closure because I didn't get it from this episode. Shiori can't disappear just like that.
Old 2007-02-03, 00:42   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It almost reminded me of a Twilight Episode ending... "and then suddenly he was alone as if she'd never been there but for that note"

I'm currently thinking that both the Mai and Shiori arcs have a "leetle" bit left to them possibly in the last episode or two, though the stark ending of Shiori might be just as it is.....
Old 2007-02-03, 01:30   Link #72
Forever
Revealing the truth

NOOOOOOOO....! Shiori must not die!! She cant die just like that!!

This episode was far too short. In fact the entire shiori's arc is far too short and the ending was too sudden, making me go WTF as well. That's was only reason preventing this episode from reaching full marks. Well I guess Kyoani wasted too much on makoto and left too little to shiori...

Anyway, how did Junichi know she left just be judging her seat in the fountain? Was it because the seat was warm? Or did it just hit him?

I saw the cutter and remembered of Kaede. If a Nayuki's ending will result in more boxcutter appearances, then nayuki ending FTW!
Old 2007-02-03, 01:39   Link #73
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Sugita Tomokazu did an outstanding job in this episode. He has been doing good throughout the series, but his performance in this one is especially remarkable. Kudos to him.

When I first saw U1 lying on the bench in school, I almost thought he was lying on Shiori's lap. Where's the hizamakura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueblade View Post
The music....
Can anyone tell me that jazzy piano track that was kicking in this episode, and also ayt the bit last episode where Kaori slumps by her door?
They used different piano-related tracks in this episode. I'm not sure which one you mean, so I will list them out all.

12:00~13:08 "pure snows" from Kanon arrange best album "recollections"
13:28~15:35 off vocal version of "Last regrets -acoustic version-" from Kanon arrange best album "recollections"
16:12~19:46 "pure snows" from Kanon AIR Piano Arrange Album "Re-feel"
Old 2007-02-03, 02:29   Link #74
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It almost reminded me of a Twilight Episode ending... "and then suddenly he was alone as if she'd never been there but for that note"

I'm currently thinking that both the Mai and Shiori arcs have a "leetle" bit left to them possibly in the last episode or two, though the stark ending of Shiori might be just as it is.....
well yea...amazingly cheezy ~ tho i would not like to see mai just heal shiori right off the bat...to keep it interesting some "other" miracle must happen between shiori and yuuichi

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-02-03, 02:58   Link #75
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
~ Anyway, how did Junichi know she left just be judging her seat in the fountain? Was it because the seat was warm? Or did it just hit him? ~
She took all the belongings along as well. You don't need to bring your present basket in order to buy a can drink.

Cheers.
Old 2007-02-03, 03:02   Link #76
Mentar
Banned

This is gonna be unpleasant. Let's finish this one quickly.

Raniie, I don't want to spoil your enthusiasm you show in working on Kanon. If you want to take and use our technical work (timing, typesetting and encoding) for your own version, be my guest. If you want to publicly distribute it afterwards, things become much less enjoyable, but ALAS.

However, there is one thing I do _NOT_ want you to do, namely this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raniie View Post
Anyway, for people that downloaded SS-Eclipse's release. You might want to grab this updated sub file, there is a number of typo fixes.
First of all, this is extremely disrespectful. It incorrectly implies that "a number of typos" were to be found in the episode. Hilariously, the single typo which actually DID slip through this time, at timecode 2:38 (forth instead of fourth - sorry for that) wasn't corrected in your version either.

What you DID change were mostly editing issues. Generally, you stray from the actual translation and try to reword things in a different way. While this is a possible approach, you introduced many serious mistakes which weren't there before. Three quick examples (I was just skimming over the script):

Quote:
03:17 So you knew about Shiori coming and stood there every day, didn't you?
06:39 "To eatting lunch together with my sister..."
17:57 The tears that were... suppose to be coming out from laughter wouldn't stop.
Call this whatever you like, [Raniie] Kanon - take a pick. But do NOT distribute this as "fixes" to our release, please. People out there in the world have been VERY confused about it, it has been showing up as "episode fixes" supposedly by us on well-visited boards, and the responses to us have been...

I'll try be polite here. Let's say we don't want to adorn ourselves with the fruits of your labor. Okay?

So please NEVER tag your files with [SS-Eclipse] again. At the VERY least, make sure that your download links are pointing to a .zip/.rar file which is properly labeled. I do NOT want to spend any more hours of my time explaining that NO, we were NOT the creators of these files.

Fair enough?
Old 2007-02-03, 05:02   Link #77
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

I worked the night-shift yesterday, hence the late entry.

Random Thoughts on Ep18
  • Yuuichi was already awake before the alarm went off. A subtle indication that he either didn't sleep at all, or had a restless night.
  • Akiko teaching Ayu to cook? Probably wanted to avoid food-poisoning from carbon-overdose the next time she falls ill.
  • Is Shiori taking lessons from Ayu on how to greet Yuuichi? It has to be noted that Yuuichi did not berate her, but playfully nudged back. I bet if Ayu was there, she would uguu~ over the difference in treatment.
  • More subtlety as Shiori cancels the thought of going to Yuuichi's class to pick him up as she wanted to avoid the awkwardness of meeting her sister, Kaori.
  • Even more subtlety later on when Yuuichi proposes a birthday party for Shiori. Shiori asked Yuuichi who would be attending the celebration, and you could read the hope on her face that Kaori would be attending.
  • Nayuki's curiosity of Shiori was a killer for me. I can't wait for her arc to begin. It is going to be SOOOO fun to watch the fallout between Nayuki and Yuuichi.
  • Vindication on why Shiori visited the school in the first place. Do you get it now, people? The actual initial reason for why Shiori visited the school in the first place?

It was to meet her SISTER. NOT Yuuichi! SISTER!

*cough* *hack* *wheeze*
  • Jun's envy of Yuuichi was a delight to see, although when you think about it, he has a smoking-hot girlfriend in Kaori, and as implied by KyoAni, is quite popular with the girls too( although this was not the case at the ballroom dance ).
  • "It's from my mother and me. It's handmade strawberry jam. Mixed with my mother's special jammu... *fufufu*"

• It was a nice touch that Kaori came of her own volition, as this makes the following scene of Kaori accepting Shiori as her sister that much smoother.

I am befuddled by some of the comments that Kaori's acceptance of Shiori's existence was too fast. Why would anyone think that? Kaori has never truly believed that Shiori was not her sister. From the start until the end, KyoAni has always shown that Kaori was just trying to delude herself into thinking that Shiori was not her sister.

Kaori has never fully rejected Shiori. This is a key point to remember and understand. All Kaori did was to drop her façade and embrace Shiori again. She just needed some nudging to come around.
  • Some of the banter between Jun and Yuuichi is just begging for yaoi-fangirl slashfics. If you find any, don't tell me about it.
  • The continued awkwardness between Shiori and Kaori after they finally broke down and laughed at the guys' antics was a nice touch. The subtlety of their facial expressions as we cycled through determination, hesitation, sadness, guilt, etc... It was brilliant. A picture says a thousand words indeed.
  • Jun's comments about Shiori being Yuuichi's girlfriend always made her blush.
  • A blushing Kaori is fine too.

• Only one scene confused me in this episode... What's up with Yuuichi's and Shiori's reaction at the crab? I totally didn't get that. Can anyone explain, please?
  • "Everyone has to live with support from others."

Yuuichi is going to be haunted by this statement that he made. Look forward to it.
    *ohohoho!*
  • It was very subtle due to the discography from the fountain, but Yuuichi was blushing from Shiori's kiss. Male moe for the fangirls?
KyoAni does it again, with their deft usage of subtlety. It really is an art to watch it all unfold, and I love how one can apply analytical thinking to this series properly and not end up tearing hair out( much ).

The plot progression really reminded me of a movie being spilt up into multiple parts. The closest counterpart I can of is the LotR trilogy. Watched individually, the ending scene of the Fellowship of the Ring is rather inconclusive and hanging, but that is because the trilogy is not over yet.

KyoAni is really making K06 to be one long continuous epic, and I think it bears mentioning that it is probably better to watch the entire season in a marathon session, rather than episode by episode.

With Shiori's arc mostly out of the way, I now look forward to two scenes in Kanon. One in Nayuki's arc, the other in Ayu's.

Cheers.
Old 2007-02-03, 05:41   Link #78
Merridew

I didn't think that was the end of Shiori's arc at the end of the episode. Throughout the credits, I just kept thinking over and over that it hasn't ended, and that Shiori will appear in the preview. But no, she didn't. I have a strong feeling that Shiori's not dead, and that she survived, even though it may be an anticlimax to the mood built up from the knowledge that Shiori's got a terminal disease and her time was going to come. Her ending might come in one of the last 2 episodes, I guess. But before then, we'll be enjoying Nayuki and Ayu
Old 2007-02-03, 06:49   Link #79
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Two points that really struck me in this episode. Firstly, after Shiori and Yuuichi looked up into the sunset, and then the camera zoomed upwards to catch the angel on top of the arch - my first reaction was to almost laugh at the rather heavy-handed symbolism. But it was pretty, admittedly. Secondly, the look on Yuuichi's face as he offered Shiori his hand after she'd asked for it. It seemed almost brimming with compassion; it was beautiful.

Nine out of ten. Loses one point for flow/pacing issues, as it was a bit too fast... though I kind of like the abrupt oblivion of the ending. It'll be interesting to see whether or not Shiori actually reappears - though from her dialogue about miracles, I'm leaning towards not seeing her alive again, unfortunately.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-02-03, 07:11   Link #80
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I highly doubt that she is dead... she is supposed to die when... the next day ? I will be damned if there is such a sickness that can make one kick the buck the next day, after looking perfectly fine the previous one, with doctors having the ability to predict it a good time beforehand. I mean - Shiori looked as genki as always, there are no signs of her getting weaker or anything... her dropping dead just like that is hard to swallow.