AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Aldnoah.Zero

Notices

View Poll Results: Aldnoah.Zero - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 2 3.39%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 8.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 8.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 28.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 15.25%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 11.86%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 8.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 6.78%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 3.39%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2015-04-03, 11:08   Link #21
00 raizer

why there are no debate about who create the inaho's analytical eye??with that eye technology,why not equip it with the katapract??and more importantly,why inaho not replace the analytic eye with normal one??at least,he can see with 2 eyes...
Old 2015-04-03, 12:18   Link #22
azurestratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 raizer View Post
why there are no debate about who create the inaho's analytical eye??with that eye technology,why not equip it with the katapract??and more importantly,why inaho not replace the analytic eye with normal one??at least,he can see with 2 eyes...
Because the eye requires to use Inaho brain for fast processing information.
And as you know, human brain is quantum computer. (episode 2-3 season 2)

The things the eye can do, such as distance measurement, 3D measurement, altimeter, radio transceiver, thermograph, optic magnification, and others are most likely already in the Kataphract.

The Kataphract however, does not have the processing power of a quantum computer, therefore cannot run realtime simulations, predictive analysis, and other functions of analytical engine, fast enough or good enough to be of use during battle.

The Kataphract however, have both capability of the eye (minus analytical engine) and more such as accelerometer, laser comm, and probably others.

As for why he replaced his eye, he didn't gave a proper reason but a possibility; having the eye causes pain even when not in use. This is mentioned in episode 2-3, where Inko asked, and Inaho mentioned he is taking pills and getting accustomed to the pain.

Out of the show, Inaho's VA Hanae stated that in episode where Inko saw Inaho grasping his eye, and Inaho pretending nothing happened, by that time the pain was enough to make a grown man cry out loud.

However our expressionless MC is ever adamant to not be Shinji and subvert the trope that mecha MCs are whiners and emos.
Old 2015-04-03, 12:33   Link #23
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurestratos View Post
Out of the show, Inaho's VA Hanae stated that in episode where Inko saw Inaho grasping his eye, and Inaho pretending nothing happened, by that time the pain was enough to make a grown man cry out loud.

However our expressionless MC is ever adamant to not be Shinji and subvert the trope that mecha MCs are whiners and emos.
Eh, that’s hardly amazing or worth mentioning. Back in 90s, Heero Yuy, survived many wounds that would kill a grown man without a single complain or whine, in-show .

And there’s really nothing to subvert at this point in time. Mecha MCs are already varied in characters today. There’s the badass and brooding ones, happy-go-lucky ones, whiny & EMO ones, the humble and easygoing ones, crazy ones, etc.
Old 2015-04-03, 12:35   Link #24
00 raizer

Quote:
Because the eye requires to use Inaho brain for fast processing information.
And as you know, human brain is quantum computer. (episode 2-3 season 2)

The things the eye can do, such as distance measurement, 3D measurement, altimeter, radio transceiver, thermograph, optic magnification, and others are most likely already in the Kataphract.

The Kataphract however, does not have the processing power of a quantum computer, therefore cannot run realtime simulations, predictive analysis, and other functions of analytical engine, fast enough or good enough to be of use during battle.

The Kataphract however, have both capability of the eye (minus analytical engine) and more such as accelerometer, laser comm, and probably others.

As for why he replaced his eye, he didn't gave a proper reason but a possibility; having the eye causes pain even when not in use. This is mentioned in episode 2-3, where Inko asked, and Inaho mentioned he is taking pills and getting accustomed to the pain.

yeah,you explaination quite reasonable...thanks
Old 2015-04-03, 12:50   Link #25
azurestratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidetoshi Nakata View Post
you're confusing things.
This antagonist, sympathetic villain that you describe, that is not focused on battles and on action, but is focused on the drama and slice of life, is the typical villain found in fairy tales and shoujo manga, this is the reason why you not find villains with these characteristics in anime mecha.
Villain in anime mecha have other characteristic.
You can find hundreds of villains with the characteristics of Slaine, in shojo manga and fairy tale.
But it's very rare you find an antagonist and villain within the mecha genre that has not its focus in the battles and in the action.
My favorite antagonist and villain within the Mecha genre is Char Aznable.
I beg to differ.
Slaine had fought in Tharsis, in multiple episodes. All his dramas are also mostly political involving the war and commanding his assets.

Just that he received more screentime of his relationships with his close characters. In mecha anime, this is only reserved for the heroes, which is a cliche' trope. For example, we know more about the personal relationships of Kira Yamato with a dozen different characters, meanwhile the villain Le Creuset, who for the majority of 40+ episodes remain enigmatic. At most we only see him interacting with few important characters.

The same can be said about Durandal, villain of season 2, who never once stepped into battle or in a mobile suit, but focused on political drama and manipulation.

The mecha trope usually is the villain never gets much screentime to showcase their human side. Only the heroes have that. We only know bits and pieces of the villain past, enough to sympathize or respect, but not more than how we sympathize the hero.

The hero gets multiple scenes of romance, if not everytime before an important battle, or one whole episode of beach and relationship drama. The villain never get that.

A/Z subverts this trope of unfair personal screentime and enigmatic villain. Slaine had as much screentime to show his motivations and human qualities, while Inaho is the enigmatic character that many fans only know him in his battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 raizer View Post
yeah,you explaination quite reasonable...thanks
You are very welcome. Its a pleasure to share these thoughts.
Old 2015-04-03, 15:02   Link #26
Hidetoshi Nakata
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurestratos View Post
I beg to differ.
Slaine had fought in Tharsis, in multiple episodes. All his dramas are also mostly political involving the war and commanding his assets.

Just that he received more screentime of his relationships with his close characters. In mecha anime, this is only reserved for the heroes, which is a cliche' trope. For example, we know more about the personal relationships of Kira Yamato with a dozen different characters, meanwhile the villain Le Creuset, who for the majority of 40+ episodes remain enigmatic. At most we only see him interacting with few important characters.

The same can be said about Durandal, villain of season 2, who never once stepped into battle or in a mobile suit, but focused on political drama and manipulation.

The mecha trope usually is the villain never gets much screentime to showcase their human side. Only the heroes have that. We only know bits and pieces of the villain past, enough to sympathize or respect, but not more than how we sympathize the hero.

The hero gets multiple scenes of romance, if not everytime before an important battle, or one whole episode of beach and relationship drama. The villain never get that.

A/Z subverts this trope of unfair personal screentime and enigmatic villain. Slaine had as much screentime to show his motivations and human qualities, while Inaho is the enigmatic character that many fans only know him in his battles.
The role of Slaine in Aldnoah.Zero is not the same role as Le Creuset and Durandal had played in Gundam, both were just villains, they were not directly linked how to antagonists and rivals from the Kira.
The role of Slaine in Aldnoah.Zero is Rival, antagonist and villain for Inaho.
Was explicit in the anime, that there was hatred and rivalry from Slaine about Inaho.
His role is more like those that were occupied by first Athrun and later by Shinn.
The same paper was played by Char in Gundam.
Another error his antagonists and rivals have personal screentime and romantic moments, Char, Athrun and Shinn they all had very screentime.
When you ask the question who is the antagonist and rival the Kira?
No one will quote Le Creuset and Durandal, because they are the global villains the anime.
You find as response Athrun and Shinn.
The same is repeated for Amaru, they remind of Char and not Zeon.
In Buddy Complex, The antagonist and rival Aoba is Bizon, not Zogilia which is the global villain.
The big problem of his argument is that Slaine is connected directly to an antagonistic rivalry on Inaho.
So the comparisons with global villains should not be used.
You must quote characters, through the antagonism and rivalry, just played the role of villain.
Old 2015-04-03, 16:18   Link #27
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Personally I don't really get the complaints about Inaho being better than everyone... so you have a main character that's better than everyone... is that really so bad?

He didn't get any challenge? Vlad almost killed him. Femianne almost killed him. Dioscuria certainly challenged him the first time around and would have died the 2nd time if Inko didn't follow him. The trio was certainly challenging. There are very few fights where Inaho did all the job by himself. Heck even against that laser kat all he did was spot...

And complaining about no one else coming up with his unorthodox strategies that usually involves uncommon science? They are unorthodox for a reason... did anyone here honestly came up with the same ideas as Inaho? Did anyone complain when Lelouch saved the black knights submarine with his knowledge of science when they have scientists on board the sub?
Lelouch wasn't perfect. Sometimes his plans came back to bite him on the ass. On top of that his brother was equally as scheming as he was. He faced a hell of a lot of challenges. That and he actually had charisma and a personality (like him or not).

Having a main character that flawless and having no personality to boot? Yeah, that's a problem. That's a HUGE problem.

And I don't call those "monster of the week" vers nobility a challenge. After it became apparent that Inaho and his super strategies were unstoppable I no longer felt any tension or doubt whatsoever that he would ever fail. And that, well that's just not very exciting. And then you throw Slaine in there as the main rival and he was just a terrible character to have up against Inaho, both because Slaine's personality is very weak and because well, he's just not even on the same level as Inaho. Do you have to have a main villain against the hero? Well, no, no you don't. But you need to have some kind of tension or challenge otherwise it's just dull writing.

And like I said, perhaps I could have forgiven him for being so perfect if he had even an ounce of charisma and an interesting back story.
Old 2015-04-03, 16:44   Link #28
MonkeyDude

Started watching for the possibility of seeing some highly tactical mecha fights reminiscent of 08th MS Team and AZ did not disappoint. Even if Inaho's combat style mostly revolved around being a 1-man demolition team with token support from his circle, his fights still involved exploiting key weaknesses in enemy mechs that allowed him to grasp victory on his technically inferior suit. How he defeated the dimensional barrier was a stroke of genius.

While I started watching AZ for the mecha fights, I stuck around in S2 for the NTR. The mecha fights were lackluster as Inaho's upgrade to keep him viable against Slaine removed what little tension was left during combat. At least it took Inaho some time to come up with a countermeasure in S1, usually taking up most of the episode or a second confrontation before he overcomes his foe. S2? Just watch the very first fight and you'll see how...boring it is. It's like the bad guy of the week except the bad guy doesn't even get to do his awesome evil speech before getting taken out.

Overall AZ is a show that deviated from it's main selling point. The actual plot/story or however you want to call it is lackluster in narrative. The only character development to speak of in S2 came from Slaine while pretty much every other character was left to rot, Rayet and her desire for revenge says hi! Then there's the contrived Slaine/Inaho "rivalry" they were peddling... AZ just felt like it suffered from an identity crisis and ran out of time trying to establish itself given the infodump ending.

Seriously the ending felt like a pink slip manga ending. You just don't cram that much material in the latter third of the final episode and call it a day. Though I suppose now we know what Inaho and Slaine were chasing after in the OP. Too bad the new count of croutons beat them both to it. The double NTR in the 11th hour almost made S2 bearable to watch...almost.

All in all I'd give AZ a 6/10 for the entertainment value. If you don't expect to get a decent story out of it, then AZ is a decent enough watch to warrant your time especially if you enjoy mecha combat.
Old 2015-04-03, 17:00   Link #29
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Lelouch wasn't perfect. Sometimes his plans came back to bite him on the ass. On top of that his brother was equally as scheming as he was. He faced a hell of a lot of challenges. That and he actually had charisma and a personality (like him or not).

Having a main character that flawless and having no personality to boot? Yeah, that's a problem. That's a HUGE problem.

And I don't call those "monster of the week" vers nobility a challenge. After it became apparent that Inaho and his super strategies were unstoppable I no longer felt any tension or doubt whatsoever that he would ever fail. And that, well that's just not very exciting. And then you throw Slaine in there as the main rival and he was just a terrible character to have up against Inaho, both because Slaine's personality is very weak and because well, he's just not even on the same level as Inaho. Do you have to have a main villain against the hero? Well, no, no you don't. But you need to have some kind of tension or challenge otherwise it's just dull writing.

And like I said, perhaps I could have forgiven him for being so perfect if he had even an ounce of charisma and an interesting back story.
And Inaho being in a lot situations where he could have died if he wasn't lucky makes him perfect?

I won't deny that Inaho's personality(he has a personality ok?) can be off-putting and that the show didn't do a good job of giving his fights tension... I won't argue against that. But pretty much the other claims where he's supposed to be perfect and he solo'd everything is pretty much false really. People tend to undermine a lot of the deadly situations he was in and the effort and help that he got from his so called "useless" allies.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2015-04-03, 18:46   Link #30
zalem

I never said anything about him soloing everything. I said that his strategies (which obviously include using other people at times) were always flawless to the point where it basically ruined any tension in the series. He just didn't fail. Ever. I never felt he was ever given a real challenge up to his level. Not even once. I never doubted that his super strategies would fail. No tension, no real challenge, no personality. That just doesn't do it for me. But everyone is different obviously. Some people like him for whatever reason and that's fine. You can like whomever you want. Just giving some insight as to why I personally did not enjoy his character. It's a combination of things obviously.
Old 2015-04-03, 19:01   Link #31
MartianMage

Quote:
I never said anything about him soloing everything. I said that his strategies (which obviously include using other people at times) were always flawless to the point where it basically ruined any tension in the series. He just didn't fail. Ever. I never felt he was ever given a real challenge up to his level. Not even once. I never doubted that his super strategies would fail. No tension, no real challenge, no personality. That just doesn't do it for me. But everyone is different obviously. Some people like him for whatever reason and that's fine. You can like whomever you want. Just giving some insight as to why I personally did not enjoy his character. It's a combination of things obviously.
Except his strategies did actually fail(thus putting him in a deadly situation) sometimes so it's not flawless. Sure I can understand if you don't like Inaho. It's called an opinion and I understand that but what I cannot understand are the complaints that just aren't factually true at all.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2015-04-03, 19:34   Link #32
zalem

I don't want to go back and rewatch this series because it's too boring, but when did one of his strategies fail spectacularly? What were the consequences of said failure? Like I said, it's about having that tension in the series. And I just didn't feel it.
Old 2015-04-03, 20:00   Link #33
MartianMage

Quote:
I don't want to go back and rewatch this series because it's too boring, but when did one of his strategies fail spectacularly? What were the consequences of said failure? Like I said, it's about having that tension in the series. And I just didn't feel it.
The first time he went against Vlad. His Kat was almost at it's limit and he would have died if Mizusaki didn't arrive.

When they were defending against Femianne. Inaho couldn't deflect the last arm and could have died if Slaine didn't arrive.

When he fought against Saazbaum the second time. He fell into Slaine's trap and would have died if Inko didn't follow him.

When they fought against Countess Rafia. Although the strategy of this operation cannot be attributed to Inaho it still doesn't change the fact that even when he was there he was unable to cope up with the situation and was forced to retreat.

As I've mentioned earlier... sure I won't deny that the show didn't really do a good job in giving Inaho's fights tension but it wasn't like everything went smoothly for him as some of you are claiming.
Old 2015-04-03, 20:47   Link #34
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Actually, when I say all the MCs in Season 2 can do no wrong I really do mean ALL of them. Slaine's plan always goes exactly as he intends it to be, until some direct strong moves by Inaho beats him back. Inaho's fights never goes catastrophically badly for him and with the exception of that underestimation of Slaine at the beginning never makes another careless mistake. These 2 are constantly strongarming each other with someone coming out only slightly ahead or completely even at every encounter.

But no one is more OP than Seylum this episode. She woke up, escaped and with just one move screwed Slaine completely and ENDED THE WAR, which is in my opinion even more OP than either of the frequently argued characters. If you want to argue who's perfect you should say Seylum is utterly perfect this season, because she didn't even need to go through a hero's agony of growing up and jumped straight to final form.
Old 2015-04-03, 20:53   Link #35
zalem

Is Vlad the Argyle? Because that's not a failed strategy. In fact, he did exactly what he said he was going to do....buy time, which he succeeded in doing.

Are you talking about episode 15 where Slaine set up that trap that killed Saaz? Because that still shows the use of his strategies yet again to get him out of trouble (showing Inko the weak spot on Saaz's mech so she could shoot, using her to get out of the debris field which he spotted coming, which then destroyed Saaz). So you can say it's still his strategies plus help (which I never denied that his strategies do sometimes rely on help btw).

And the last one, again not a failure of any of his strategies and ultimately his strategies ended up defeating her.

Against Femianne he did fail his shot and yes, that would have seriously injured or killed them. And actually that wasn't even a failure of strategy, that was a failure of action. But I suppose a failure of some kind nonetheless. So ok, NEAR perfect strategies and actions and occasionally random luck. That doesn't really change anything though. He's still almost perfect most of the time and there still is no tension because if it's not him being perfect (which he is most of the time) then some other random factor comes in and saves him. He never once actually failed hard and faced serious consequences because of his actions. I suppose we can agree that the writers are at fault with this lack of tension in the scenes.
Old 2015-04-03, 23:10   Link #36
azurestratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidetoshi Nakata View Post
The role of Slaine in Aldnoah.Zero is not the same role as Le Creuset and Durandal had played in Gundam, both were just villains, they were not directly linked how to antagonists and rivals from the Kira.
The role of Slaine in Aldnoah.Zero is Rival, antagonist and villain for Inaho.
Was explicit in the anime, that there was hatred and rivalry from Slaine about Inaho.
His role is more like those that were occupied by first Athrun and later by Shinn.
The same paper was played by Char in Gundam.
Another error his antagonists and rivals have personal screentime and romantic moments, Char, Athrun and Shinn they all had very screentime.
When you ask the question who is the antagonist and rival the Kira?
No one will quote Le Creuset and Durandal, because they are the global villains the anime.
You find as response Athrun and Shinn.
The same is repeated for Amaru, they remind of Char and not Zeon.
In Buddy Complex, The antagonist and rival Aoba is Bizon, not Zogilia which is the global villain.
The big problem of his argument is that Slaine is connected directly to an antagonistic rivalry on Inaho.
So the comparisons with global villains should not be used.
You must quote characters, through the antagonism and rivalry, just played the role of villain.
Lets be clearly honest, Athrun was never really an antagonist or rival. In fact, until one of his teammates died, he never went all out, and even then that was just 1 time. One time.

And how many romantic scenes he have? Season 1 I could count with my fingers. We see at least twice more romantic scenes of Kira x Lacus than Athrun x Lacus. Total with Kira x Flay, and Kira fake attraction to Cagali, until they found out they're siblings.

Athrun only got few scenes with Lacus, three important scenes with Cagali. By later half Athrun was also no longer a rival, but an ally.

In second season, Shin and Athrun were the main characters, so they got the main heroes treatment of more screentime. We see more of their romance and relationship, while Kira is side character antagonist rival who is unimportant until the late later half. Suddenly Kira became one of the good guy main hero, having more screentime and got to face Durandal, while it should've been only either Shin or Athrun. Shin got turned into antagonist/villain side.

Let's be really honest, almost all mecha animes give unfair amount of screentime and personal relationship to the heroes. The bad guy, especially the big bad, and rivals who don't turn friendly ally in later half, were never given fair treatment.

If possible the hero is a super likable person, while the rival (who stayed as enemies ex. Shin) and other villains may get sympathy, but never more than the main hero.
Old 2015-04-03, 23:11   Link #37
Witch of Uncertainty

I enjoyed it, but I doubt I'll ever rewatch it.
Old 2015-04-04, 13:15   Link #38
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Watching the finale again it seem that Vers didn't get any punishments for their war crimes. Seriously I will much prefer a ending where Terran lost the war but destroyed Earth rather than handing it over to the Vers, as Terran go extinct and they laugh how Vers won't have their blue planet. Due to the destruction of Earth and it's resources along with it, Martian has no choice but to continue to live on the Mars. Situation deteriorate further as time went on, the living conditions is so horrible that the lower cast Versian revolt against the government. Some sympathetic Orbital Knights sided with the rebelling army and wage devastating civil war that result the death of all Vers imperial family. Slaine fell into depression as the info of Asseylum's death went into his ear and as the rebelling rush into the imperial building, seeing Slaine and killed him. The war also result the extinction of the Martians and with some thinking how much better if they just never leave Earth to began with it. Seriously it hate Vers and Martian, I also hate Terran for not taking this war seriously.

Too little Martians died in the finale and no nukes is dropped on Mars, very disappointing. 7/10
Old 2015-04-04, 13:31   Link #39
00 raizer

Quote:
Watching the finale again it seem that Vers didn't get any punishments for their war crimes. Seriously I will much prefer a ending where Terran lost the war but destroyed Earth rather than handing it over to the Vers, as Terran go extinct and they laugh how Vers won't have their blue planet.
nah,i prefer not...the fall on half moon already is make earth loss of many thing like many island and even country due sink in the ocean...
Old 2015-04-04, 15:18   Link #40
iSuckAtWriting
Impossibly Childlike

Send a message via AIM to iSuckAtWriting
I just finished Nico-watching Aldnoah.Zero, and whoooaaa what a wild ride this show turned out to be! The Terrans are kinda boring next to the Vers cast, and Slaine is just so cooooooll~ Too bad Nico can't say the same for...everyone else.
Spoiler for Nico Nico looooooooonnnggg~:
Closed Thread