AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-01-17, 00:10   Link #1
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Possible character deaths by the end of Gundam 00

Gundam historically has been known for major characters getting the axe when you least expect it...With Gundam 00 past it's mid-point and major characters fighting in large scale battles (if ep 15's preview is any indication), what character or characters' do you see potentially dying? Do you even think this is something that should happen? (To keep the realistic edge the series has somewhat provided)...

Right now my main candidates for this are:

Sergei (Because he seems to be the type to take Mwu impossible-possible death shot for someone)

Ali (Because he's still a mid-boss in my eyes, needed to extract Setsuna's character development with his death being the climax of this character progression)

Lockon (Because he may have a twin brother and seems like the most normal meister there is and normal guys die for idiots)

Allelujah/Hallelujah (Perhaps one side of the personality dies, perhaps literally--In any case he's crazy enuff to die)

Basically I'd like to keep this an open discussion instead of making a poll, and remember this isn't about "ZOMG, I wish he//she dies!!!" so: NO CAMPAIGNING!!! Let's DISCUSS who might be dying, the philosophy of taking this approach in a Gundam series and whether it's a good or bad thing and the possible effects it might have on the story (If a main character were to die before Season 1 comes to an end)...

BTW While I am stressing main characters, NAMED characters are definatley up for grabs if you have a theory or feeling about one...

Thread Guidelines:
  • No campaigning!No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Please provide reasons instead of using this thread to express your dislike towards certain characters.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.
  • Have fun, but post intelligently. It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
Old 2008-01-17, 02:58   Link #2
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
There's a very, very low chance for Lockon to die. Just because he has a twin doesn't mean he'll die--that's too edgy, and it's not very Gundam. Lockon's twin dynamic will likely play out with each brother taking the mother's death very differently--Lockon is obviously the one that took it to violent extremes. His backstory will likely explore the brotherhood dynamic, as well as the costs and pressures of war on siblings. That's probably why when Lockon is putting flowers on his mother's grave, he's surprised there's already flowers--because he believes that only by fighting terrorism will he do his mother right, and that his twin lacks the courage to do so.

Sergei will not die either. Sergei is currently the face of the HRL. He will not die, simply because if he does, the HRL not only lose their lead character, but there are zero other characters to take his place. Again, the good characters dying are a stereotype, but it's not going to happen that easily in 00. Soma cannot carry the HRL by herself, and the writers won't let her.

Ali I can see happening, though I highly doubt this too. Unless Setsuna is going to be making big strides towards his growth, and unless there are more clear-cut badguys introduced, Ali will not be dying. Ali represents a very personal side of Setsuna, and if he is eliminated, Setsuna's entire backstory may as well be complete.

As for Allelujah/Hallelujah... doubt this one too! As long as he is piloting Kyrios, he will have dual personalities. Unless he is changing Gundams anytime soon, they will not rid him of this duality. Of course, what could easily happen is that Allelujah gains more control over himself, and may eventually reign his own emotions in, but again, I doubt this will happen fully until the end of the series.

Either way, I don't see any main characters dying until the end of the show.
It's basically Gundam Wing all over again, right down to how the personality characteristics--and looks--match to their "code numbers".
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 03:14   Link #3
RisArk

I'd say Sergei is the unfortunate best chance of death. He's a big level-up for Soma development, especially his death. It will either make Soma join the Gundams due to some Throne-related mission probably, or make her Sergei junior and carry on the HRL name. He seems the sacrificial type. I mean, if he's willing to let one of his best men die despite his beliefs, he's ready to let death come for the greater good.

Soma definitely has major character depth potential if the writers don't screw up. Hopefully Sergei, if he dies, dies after she gets a personality. Otherwise it'll be "For Sergei you must die" on the last dozen episodes.

The only thing that can kill Lockon is Haro. Period.

Allelujah has way, way too much backstory and freaky stuff to cover. Super soldier remnants, possibly a few episodes dedicated to the split personality thing, super-saiyan/Hollow Ichigo type of stuff going on.

Yeah, Ali's going to die. Once we get a whole flashback on what happened back then, Ali better pray for a miracle to stay alive. Mercenaries that aren't funny/gay/incest with their brother tend to die fast in this series.
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 04:27   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I think Louise's Mama is going to die. The way she just left in Episode 14, Louise acting like it's the last time she'll ever see her, and Setsuna's coldness towards her saying that at least her mother isn't dead almost seems like circumstances are begging for it to come true. Not to mention Louise looking cuddled up in a ball in the new ending in tears.

I could also see both Darryl Dutch and Howard Mason biting it before the season is up.

Also up for a death certificate is Sergei Smirnov. He's that old soldier type they just love to kill off, and given how he isn' t even in the second opening, but Soma is makes me think he isn't going to make it.

Off the top of my head those are the most likely candidates for death right now.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 07:18   Link #5
Terra

I just don't see Allelujah dying at all (of course this could be wishful thinking on my part since he's my favorite character :P). But I feel that he has to live and overcome everything about himself. His origins, his split personality. I just think it would be cheap for him to die after overcoming all that since he does have (at least that we know of atm) the most screwed up past of everyone.

Sergei does have the death certificate look to him, but it would be nice for an older guy to survive for once. Plus I see him being Soma's ticket to becoming something more. And I see it happening more with him alive than dead.

Ali will die, it's bound to happen, it's just when it'll happen. Ep 14 suddenly added another side to this guy and what he does, so the chances of him lasting to the end increased.

Someone in those Flags has to die. They're introducing too many now. Plus even if they're only bit parts, we need a few more named character deaths. Otherwise you just won't get the impact with a no name with the viewer.
Old 2008-01-17, 10:19   Link #6
Tangerine

Gundam 00 Ending 2, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYbwz...eature=related

- 4 Gundam meisters: in Japan the number four is considered inauspicious because it is pronounced the same as the word for death (shi). Therefore, one should not make presents that consist of four pieces, etc. In some hotels and hospitals the room number four is skipped. (Nadleeh, 004)

- Allelujah, broken glass: It is said that breaking a mirror would bring you 7 years of bad luck because the mirror reflects you and your life. Breaking it would destroy the reflection of the good/positive things you have in your life. (The glasses of Tieria also are broken? broken eyeglass: bilndness)

Lockon and Setsuna, open scissors (bad luck, treason): sharp objects like swords, knives or scissors,. These send harsh energy to the receiver and are said to sever the friendship. If you receive one, the remedy for the bad luck from this type of gift is to immediately give the giver a coin to symbolize that you "bought" the gift from them. If not, according to superstition, your relationship may end or you may stop talking to each other.
"Scissors and sharp objects cut your good luck in two if used incorrectly. Dropped scissors incorrectly recovered is an invitation to order your funeral outfit so make out your will quickly. Also don’t leave the scissors open like that."
Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 10:58   Link #7
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Before the season's end? Marina seems like a prime candidate. Ali I think has a very *low* chance of death due to his selfishness. He always has HIMSELF in mind.

Mr. Selfless Sergei probably will eat it in some form or another.

I doubt any Meister will get taken down too soon though. Hallelujah always comes up when Allelujah is in trouble.
Old 2008-01-17, 14:44   Link #8
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
I very much doubt that Marina will ever die in this series. Aside from the obvious Relena parallels, she plays an integral role in the way Setsuna develops positively. Let's face it--Setsuna, before the show started, was already at his worst possible state of mind. As Gundam 00 has been progressing, Setsuna is already beginning to rediscover himself and even, with Ali in the picture, confront his past.
Marina dying would go completely contrary to the path the show is going.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 15:17   Link #9
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
None. All of the characters so far represent a face in each faction. If they go the faction goes as well.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 15:30   Link #10
Terra

This is why I feel that the introduction of the new aces in the Union will serve as named cannon fodder in the future. So far it's too early to really kill off any of the named characters because they are the faces of their respective countries.
Old 2008-01-17, 15:51   Link #11
Morgun

Marina will die only when the writing staff finally admits that her character sucks. I don't see it happening. I think the new Flag pilots will die, but do they even qualify as more than named super-grunts?
Morgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 15:53   Link #12
Terra

It's too early to tell on that front. Depends on how long the writers want to develop them, or whether they'll kill off the either/both of the 2 pilots that Graham's had from the start.
Old 2008-01-17, 16:38   Link #13
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Remember this is the same director who killed off:

Spoiler for FMA:

Combine that with Gundam lore and I think it's sweeping to dismiss a character death based on just faction heads or prescribed plotlines....Mizushima has already proved he isn't soley reliant on Main-characters to tell this story...
Old 2008-01-17, 16:48   Link #14
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Wow, the director of Gundam 00 was also the director of Full Metal Alchemist? THAT, I didn't know.
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 16:52   Link #15
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
Wow, the director of Gundam 00 was also the director of Full Metal Alchemist? THAT, I didn't know.
LOL, Somebody please open up his cockpit ...
Old 2008-01-17, 17:04   Link #16
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Remember this is the same director who killed off:

Spoiler for FMA:

Combine that with Gundam lore and I think it's sweeping to dismiss a character death based on just faction heads or prescribed plotlines....Mizushima has already proved he isn't soley reliant on Main-characters to tell this story...
Yeah but that was base on a manga, so I don't know. Well the character that I believe that will die is Graham's two lackey, and well possibly death of Lockon. Sergei I don't really see him dying, like Papaya said Sergei is the face of HRL. I could see Ali dying like this, he kills Marina (the reason? who knows, later on maybe there will be event that will lead to this) and Setsuna kills Ali.
Old 2008-01-17, 18:03   Link #17
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Also up for a death certificate is Sergei Smirnov. He's that old soldier type they just love to kill off, and given how he isn' t even in the second opening, but Soma is makes me think he isn't going to make it.
Sergei dies while protecting Soma?

I think so.
Old 2008-01-17, 18:05   Link #18
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
LOL, Somebody please open up his cockpit ...
You already did it, wiseboy.

I wonder if the director would have enough guts to kill Setsuna before season 2 :P
Old 2008-01-17, 18:20   Link #19
fuzzles
anal retentive

Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post

I wonder if the director would have enough guts to kill Setsuna before season 2 :P
Now that is something I definitely would love to see, the main guy needs to bite the dust especially when he's as annoying as Setsunna. maybe Saji can take his place he needs to have some part in this story.
fuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 18:35   Link #20
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster

I do find Setsuna annoying. Especially after watching last episodes. To me he is just a stuck up b*tch who acts all cool and wise but in fact is a murderer and hypocrite. Interesting. I hope he dies This'd be a big surprise.

But I have a feeling that it is Lockon - my favorite character who'll die... Or maybe they are intentionally making him to be a cliche cool-nice-kind-elder-brother guy NOT to be killed during the anime show. That'd be a surprise, too