Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
^
Implying
Old 2012-07-18, 21:33   Link #542
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Famitsu has a reputation of getting 'bribed' to give better scores to games. And the more popular the game, the more incentive to bribe the judges.

Or something to that effect. I personally have tastes coinciding with much of Famitsu's scores, so it doesn't bother me one bit.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 22:52   Link #543
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

7/10 from Gamespot & 7.5/10 from IGNorant are the score i'm thinking
they'll give for the NA/EU ver. if Atlus some how bride them with money, then
8.5/10 from Gamespot & 8.8/10 from IGNorant.
Old 2012-07-19, 09:21   Link #544
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
7/10 from Gamespot & 7.5/10 from IGNorant are the score i'm thinking
they'll give for the NA/EU ver. if Atlus some how bride them with money, then
8.5/10 from Gamespot & 8.8/10 from IGNorant.
I'll wait for more independent sources. Don't get me wrong, I am expecting the game to kick some serious behind but Famitsu, Gamespot and to a lower level IGN aren't known for being impartial.

Famitsu is known for giving out perfect scores for popular franchises even if they game ends up being subpar and Gamespot has fired one of it's editors for giving a lower score to a title that was being heavily promoted on their home page. Luckly I'm not familiar with any similar happenings with IGN but even so their reviews tend to be clearly biased to avoid damaging their relations with publishers ending up rather tame.

For reviews I've been falling back to Eurogamer a lot: they tend to be over-critical of games if anything so if they don't end up complaining too much the game is probably awesome.
Old 2012-07-19, 10:51   Link #545
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

All Personas got good grades on Gamespot. Except for 1, but it's not a very good game anyway.
PSP Innocent Sin got a lower grade because it's the same thing as PS1 IS, even though it's supposed to be a port+fixes for people who didn't play since it didn't come overseas.
"Persona 2: Innocent Sin no longer
has the magic it once did."
All of my middle finger to this, the game's still magic.

Oddly, PS1 IS got the highest grade among all SMT games. Take that.

BB and GG got an average of 8.0 on GameSpot.

So, no reason for P4U getting a score lower than 7.5
Old 2012-07-19, 11:27   Link #546
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I'll wait for more independent sources. Don't get me wrong, I am expecting the game to kick some serious behind but Famitsu, Gamespot and to a lower level IGN aren't known for being impartial.

Famitsu is known for giving out perfect scores for popular franchises even if they game ends up being subpar and Gamespot has fired one of it's editors for giving a lower score to a title that was being heavily promoted on their home page. Luckly I'm not familiar with any similar happenings with IGN but even so their reviews tend to be clearly biased to avoid damaging their relations with publishers ending up rather tame.

For reviews I've been falling back to Eurogamer a lot: they tend to be over-critical of games if anything so if they don't end up complaining too much the game is probably awesome.
yeah, i dont really trust Famitsu score much either. i already know Gamespot &
IGN are quite biased toward any games that are anime-ist, hopefully not to Persona as well.

i'm just guessing the rating coming from them, so that if they do give it a high score of around 8.5 or higher, i'll go "nice!" but then if they go and give the game
around 7.0, i'll go "told you so!" i'm not going to expect anything great from those two reviewers, that's all; is the only reason why i dont have high expectation coming
from them.

if i were to review though, i'll probably give the game a 9/10 easily, but that's just me.
Old 2012-07-19, 16:16   Link #547
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Scores mean nothing, good or bad. I'm more partial to actually reading the review and reading what issues people had with the game.
If IGN didn't like anime games (which is a silly generalization because I do know that a couple of their editors actually enjoy watching anime),
and it comes through in their review, then the review did its job. It let you know that if you do like anime stuffs, then you'll like the game.
It's not meant to be an end all assessment. And for what it's worth, they gave Persona 4 a 9.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 16:26   Link #548
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I'm not that much into scores, but the game itself shows promise and it looks really fun. Score won't stop me from canceling my pre-order and enjoying the game to its fullest on launch day.

The game in my eyes at least earns a 8-9, but that's just me.
Old 2012-07-19, 17:44   Link #549
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Maybe because you're afraid of not many people buying it because of score.
Old 2012-07-19, 18:31   Link #550
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

For what it's worth, let's look at what's in the package here.
- Game play seems relatively accessible for newbies and complex enough for those who want to take it that far
- Gallery/Story Mode/ Other modes -> so it's not lacking in not-multiplayer content
- Online will mostly likely be really solid since it's Arc System
- People love persona 4

So really, what's stopping the game from getting a decent score?
Old 2012-07-19, 18:59   Link #551
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post

So really, what's stopping the game from getting a decent score?
My opinion:
- less complex than other arc system fighting games
- Not enough characters ( 13 is small compared to other recent fighing games like UMvC3, blazblue, SxT , Soul calibur V , Kof 13)
- might not interest people who know little about the persona franchise (or if they don't like anime style games)
- some people aren't interested in 2d fighting games
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 20:00   Link #552
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
My opinion:
- less complex than other arc system fighting games
- Not enough characters ( 13 is small compared to other recent fighing games like UMvC3, blazblue, SxT , Soul calibur V , Kof 13)
- might not interest people who know little about the persona franchise (or if they don't like anime style games)
- some people aren't interested in 2d fighting games
as far as I know, P4U has all of BB and GG's main fighting features
P4U introduced status effects. BB and GG don't have that.
BB's drive button gets replaced by P4U's summoning a persona.

Blazblue started out with 12 characters and look how it turned out

lol UMVC3, KOF13, SFxTK, BB, GG and many more are 2d fighting games. some of em just used 3D models.

anyway, my main point is
those aren't enough reasons why this game wouldn't be a hit

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 21:32   Link #553
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Besides, it was elected as the Fighting game of the Year.
Even Tekken and Soul Calibur, strong contenders, lost.
Old 2012-07-19, 21:35   Link #554
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
It's currently the number one popular game in Japanese arcades right now. The hype and commentary for this game is so intense, and it shows in its videos..tournament ones.
Old 2012-07-19, 21:47   Link #555
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

I don't think it'll be a big hit, I'm not sure if it warrants that, but it should be good regardless.
Old 2012-07-20, 02:34   Link #556
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
as far as I know, P4U has all of BB and GG's main fighting features
P4U introduced status effects. BB and GG don't have that.
BB's drive button gets replaced by P4U's summoning a persona.

I meant the combo system, if you weren't aware of that on one of my earlier posts. And it actually has less features than blazblue and guilty gear, like for example the loss of a barrier guard , less attacks being air unblockable thus leading into easier chicken blocking, the simplified motions etc.

Quote:
Blazblue started out with 12 characters and look how it turned out.。
That was 2008, but look at 2012 and look how much characters the competition has now.

Quote:
lol UMVC3, KOF13, SFxTK, BB, GG and many more are 2d fighting games. some of em just used 3D models. 。
I was actually referring to soul calibur V, Tekken tag tournament 2 and the upcoming virtua fighter. Some people just don't like 2d fighting and you can't change that.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:18   Link #557
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I meant the combo system, if you weren't aware of that on one of my earlier posts. And it actually has less features than blazblue and guilty gear, like for example the loss of a barrier guard , less attacks being air unblockable thus leading into easier chicken blocking, the simplified motions etc.

That was 2008, but look at 2012 and look how much characters the competition has now.
For what it's worth, the former thing could be seen as better by some. I mean, if we're talking casual buyers, a more accessible fighter works more for them than something overly complex. After all, the game was built with people who played the original games in mind. Also, the number of characters isn't really a problem, games with tons of characters can get too bothersome to balance, and it worked to BlazBlue's advantage when it did come out.
Old 2012-07-20, 11:17   Link #558
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

This is a game that is supposed to be easy to get into and at same time be competitive. And it has more mechanics than BBCT =o

There is no barrier/faultless defense, more air unblockables would make some matchups very hard and unfair, and in general it would be much more harder to rush in.

Even though we're in 2012, that doesn't make sprite animation any easier. It probably still takes 3 months to develop a fully animated character and unlike crossovers such as Marvel and CVS, the characters are 100% original.
Old 2012-07-20, 11:40   Link #559
hyl
reading #hikaributts

I already said several pages ago that this game is meant for more casual players, but that doesn't mean that the hardcore fighting game gamers can't explain about it

Marvel vs capcom 3's design were completely redesigned though and there are plenty of new characters as well. So i wouldn't saw that this game took more effort into the characters than mvc3
Old 2012-07-21, 01:57   Link #560
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

fuuka portrait

Tags
fighting game, ps3