AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-04, 13:42   Link #1
proteus4000

Hello. I am looking for artsy, experimental and surreal Japanese Animation.....

Hello everyone...

I need a little help. I have a real thing for artsy, experimental and surreal Japanese Animation. I think it all started out because I watched the
first two segments of Neo-Tokyo aka Meikyû monogatari over and over again. I also love Robot Carnival very much as well as Angel's Egg by Mamoru
Oshii. I would very much like some help to find some more anime like this. If anyone can give me some suggestions that would be great. I am going
to list below the movies I have already seen. Maybe this is beating a dead horse so to speak because maybe I have seen it all. anyways here is
my list.....

1.Robot Carnival
2.Neo-Tokyo aka Meikyû monogatari
3.Angel's Egg by Mamoru
4.Open Your Mind aka Mezame no hakobune
5.Take The X-Train by Rintaro
6.The Glassy Ocean
7.Noiseman Sound Insect
8.Yonna in the Solitary Fortress
9.Tobira O Akete
10.Cat Soup
11.Sweat Punch
12.La Maison en Petits Cubes
13.Atama-Yama aka Mt Head
14.An—Kuri15
15.Voices OF a Distant Star
16.Rayca
17.All the Genius Party stuff
18.Jigen Loop
19.Aquatic Language
20.1001 Nights
21.Super Kuma-san aka Super Bear ( I thought this was kind of stupid )
22.Fantascope Tylostoma
23.The Amazing Nuts! Music Videos
24.Tekkon Kinkreet ( I have not watched this yet but it looks cool )
25.Tree Of Palme ( Have not watched all of this either but it looks really neat )
26.Malice@Doll ( I am confused is there a part 2 to this thing? )
27.Mind Game
28.Oh my good I forgot Memories! Magnetic Rose only. I have the North American DVD of this, The Soundtrack, a book called Memories of Memories ( I think that's what its called )
29. 5 Centimeters Per Second ( Is this really artsy, Experimetnal or Sureal ? )
30.The music video 'Connected by Ayumi Hamasaki
31.Survival Glay by Koji Morimoto
32.Dead Leaves ( Maybe more weird and Insane than artsy, experimental and surreal )
33.Avalon ( well you know )
34.Light Years ( not anime but whatever )
35. A Wind Named amnesia
36.Serial Experiments Lain
37.Kemonozume aka Beast Claw ( what the heck is this thing anyway? )
38.Eternal family by Studio 4C

Ok well I think that about covers it so far. Does anyone have any more ideas?

Thanks

Proteus
Old 2010-04-04, 14:41   Link #2
Coreyrn

Hmm, maybe Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei? It likes to play with patterns, sudden color changes, art shifts, also the content is very unique.

Have only seen La Maison en Petits Cubes (loved that one, really distinctive style and the enactment was great), Voices of a distant star(did you know the whole thing was made by one person?), 5 centimeters per second (most detailed Animation I've ever seen) and Serial Experiments Lain (very confusing but interesting art and theme).
Old 2010-04-04, 15:08   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Bakemonogatari

Kaiba

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

All weird, surreal and sort of animated acid trips.

Also Eve no Jikan.
Old 2010-04-04, 17:17   Link #4
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Hah, you missed Belladonna of Sadness, the biggest midfuck of them all.
Also try to find Shoujo Tsubaki.
Old 2010-04-04, 17:31   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
End of Evangelion

Might need to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion first though

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-04-04, 18:51   Link #6
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Mononoke
Hakaba kitaro
Kuchu Buranko
Diary of Tortov Roddle
midori
Yumedamaya Kidan
blame!

and i second belladona.(this is fucking great IMO)

Last edited by CeDeR; 2010-04-07 at 14:44.
Old 2010-04-05, 01:48   Link #7
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Bakemonogatari
Experimental and Surreal are the first two words I'd go about it's art style for sure .

Also only saw the first episode but Kuchu Buranko should fit as recommended before.
MAL
Old 2010-04-05, 12:00   Link #8
proteus4000

awesome thanks guys very much!! I will look into this stuff asap ....Going to play some videos games and after I am back from the gym I get into this. Thanks so much anime people !!

I have Belladonna Of Sadness but I don't think I liked that. I am trying to get a copy of Tree Of Palme with English subs. Did they do an English dub of that movie? It looks really cool. I love the creepy sad weird look of the females and the giant fish thing reminded me of Angel's Egg. Hey are they ever going to do a Blu-Ray of Vampire Hunter D, Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust, Robot Carnival or Neo-Tokyo one day? There is a Blu-Ray of Avalon but not in North America but Blu-Ray in Japan and North America is the same region correct? Man Avalon on Blu-Ray is like freaking $100 on cdjapan...... arghhhhh anyways I am rambling .... Yes I LOVE this type of animation. I have watched Magnetic Rose, Robot Carnival, Neo-Tokyo and Angel's Egg like 100 times. I might try and learn how to make my own animation one day. Ok that's enough of me I will be back later on tonight ! Meep !!

Ohh and seriously whats the deal with MALICE@DOLL is there a par two of that thing?

proteus
Old 2010-04-06, 05:09   Link #9
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Malice Doll is one movie and no more.

I remembered another goody. Le Portrait de Petite Cossette
Old 2010-04-07, 16:27   Link #10
proteus4000

awesome !! thanks guys!! I just found out about Assault Girls by Mamoru Oshii! I am insanely excited about this !! Do you think they will show it in theaters in Toronto?? The DVD and Blu-Ray comes out on June 23 2010 I think. Is that just in Japan or also North America?? Anyways sorry I should stick to a topic .... lol ... I am just talking to myself here......... Ok I will check out all these recommendations !!

proteus
Old 2010-04-08, 01:10   Link #11
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Someone already recced Mononoke, but it is a sequel to the 3rd story of another anime called Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror. Might want to check that out, too.

Try Revolutionary Girl Utena, which may not have the most bizarre, avant garde art style but is still quite a mindfuck (mostly for the sake of being a mindfuck, though). Also download A Country Doctor, an animated short based on Franz Kafka's baffling story.
Old 2010-04-09, 07:44   Link #12
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Try Wind Tales too.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2010-04-09, 10:09   Link #13
upiro

I’d like to recommend Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo by Studio Gonzo. The art style is very unique and experimental and I don’t think any other anime since then has done anything so similar. The story is a surprisingly creative adaptation of the original novel and focuses on one of the side characters of the novel rather than the Count himself. Some people might find the animation a bit hard on their eyes but I loved it and thought it fit the mood of the story very well. At the very least, I think Gonzo deserved praise for trying something so imaginative.

Check out some screenshots or watch the trailer and see if it appeals to you ...
Old 2010-04-10, 17:25   Link #14
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
Texhnolyze
Old 2010-04-10, 22:05   Link #15
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Maybe xxxHolic?
Old 2010-04-12, 12:32   Link #16
proteus4000

Awesome !!! very very neat !!!

Hello guys !!

Super duper uber-thank you very much. I am looking forward to checking all this stuff out. Very exciting indeed!! I have high hopes for that `Country Doctor' thing. It looks like it is nice and creepy. Yes thank you for these recommendations this is very helpful. I can't spend the rest of my life watching Labyrinth by Rintaro and The Running Man from Neo-Tokyo and Mamoru Oshii's Angel's Egg over and over again. ( I think I did to much acid when I was younger ... ehheheeh .... )

I have never seen Blame! But someone actually made a music video of one of my songs using footage from that anime. I hope its ok that I post it. If for whatever reason I should not post this then just tell me and I will remove it. Anyways here is the video

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...eoid=103260096

One thing I have to say is that it does not have to be just anime. Anything that is Trippy, Experimental, Artsy and just plain drug damaged would be awesome. When it comes to non-Japanese versions of what I am looking for there is

Light Years
Fantastic Planet
Time Master
( I could never get into this thing even with the English Dub )
Fire and Ice
Wizards
Heavy Metal
A Scanner Darkly
( I did not like this much but Woody Harrison was funny )

Ummmmmmmmmmm................. Thats about it .........

Ohhhhh i have to say!!! Has anyone here ever watched 'Time Stranger' Mannnnn to me that is Weriddddddddddddddddddddd anime!!!! After watching that I sit there looking around the room asking myself what planet I am on .. Jesshhhhhhhh Does anyone know what I am talking about?? I think it has somethign to do with Go Shogun or something but I have no idea what that is ......

Hey will Vampire Hunter D part one ever come out on Blu-Ray? Man I would be one happy camper if that happened

Ok I must go to the YMCA now. See you anime people later on !!!

See Ya

PROTEUS
Old 2010-04-13, 15:03   Link #17
sebasitans lover

Paprika!
It's a movie and it's definitely surreal and interesting.
Old 2010-04-14, 09:12   Link #18
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Try Pale Cocoon. Also a good bunch of Studio 4C falls under this category.
Old 2010-04-17, 16:07   Link #19
Niji

Could also try Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari. Trippy, surreal, and some awesome chars.
Old 2010-05-17, 01:23   Link #20
emp_athy

Send a message via MSN to emp_athy
I'd like to recommend Shigurui - despite it's ultra violent content, the anime is artistically beautiful. Where would a thread like this be without the mention of Ghost in the Shell - the films of course. Surreal? There's none more so than Urotsukidoji.

There are some really awesome suggestions proposed by everyone. I'd like to extend my own gratitude, because I've looked into your suggestions and currently have multiple anime's on the download
Closed Thread