AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-31, 00:26   Link #1941
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Obama, Romney put aside campaign for storm relief - for now
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89M11220121030

Obama reprend son rôle présidentiel, Romney cherche sa place ( Obama take back his presicential role, Romney search his place) (Article in french)
http://www.lapresse.ca/international...0_accueil_POS1
Quote:
L'appel aux dons de nourriture non périssable fait par son équipe a soulevé des critiques, puisque la Croix-Rouge et les autres organisations du genre n'acceptent pas les biens en nature, préférant recevoir de l'argent qui peut être distribué là où il est le plus nécessaire.

«À cause de contraintes logistiques, la Croix-Rouge n'accepte pas et ne sollicite pas de collecte d'objets», affirme l'organisation sur son site Internet.

«Les objets comme la nourriture, les vêtements et les chaussures doivent être triés, nettoyés, emballés et transportés, ce qui monopolise de l'argent, du temps et du personnel», explique la Croix-Rouge.

Mitt Romney a suscité l'incrédulité en comparant les secours après un désastre au nettoyage d'une école secondaire. Il a raconté que ses amis et lui avaient déjà nettoyé un terrain de football «jonché de détritus et de papiers», une apparente allusion au rôle joué par les citoyens et les organisations privées dans les secours post-catastrophe.
The mistake to ask for food or objects for disaster relief is a commond one made by many, but to compare the after-Sandy work made from organisations and citizens to the cleanig of a highschool foodball field...
Romney is showing one again how disconnected he is from the realito of the average american.
Old 2012-10-31, 00:30   Link #1942
Destined_Fate

Man... That is pretty bad for a comparison.
Old 2012-10-31, 00:34   Link #1943
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm wondering how many people simply won't be able to vote and who that impacts. Normally, decimating the voting benefits Republicans but a lot of the areas hit are nominally conservative.
Impact of Hurricane Sandy on Election Is Uncertain

It's a good stab by Nate to try and guess it's effects. But I'm more interested in the effects this has on the rest of the public's perception of the contrast between the 2 candidates a week away from the Presidential Election...and of course Down-ballot (which in some cases is more important)

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-10-31, 01:17   Link #1944
Destined_Fate

So... This is far worse for Obama, eh? Hmmm...

Shouldn't there be a provision somewhere that takes natural disasters in account for this stuff?
Old 2012-10-31, 02:02   Link #1945
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I know than many here don't like Bill Maher, but on this one he is probably right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y0ay...feature=g-vrec
Old 2012-10-31, 03:12   Link #1946
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Guys, I present to you, the future of the corporate US of A :

Brawndo anyone?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-10-31, 03:23   Link #1947
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Obama, Romney put aside campaign for storm relief - for now
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89M11220121030
Rmoney is only pretending just to score whatever political points he can get.
Old 2012-10-31, 12:10   Link #1948
Gawers

That's just 'realpolitik' [ʁeˈaːlpoliˌtiːk].
If Romney hadn't tried to score cookie-points via Sandy. There is a chance a joke about a 'Soulless-alien-Romney' would have been uttered somewhere. That's a chance Romney team couldn't take. Whether Romney actually feels empathy for hurricane victims is irrelevant. Any political will attempt to kiss the baby at the photo-op.

Meanwhile years ago in my country:
"But how can you not make campaign promises?!"
A soundbite from a politician when confronted about unreasonably lavish promised pensions. Mostly just laughs from the public.
Old 2012-10-31, 14:13   Link #1949
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The anti-FEMA remarks are essentially a GOP continuation of the "privatization of government" (transfer of functionality into private for-profit hands, only a few hands btw). The Bush Administration spent eight years doing this to a number of government agencies and its been so profitable for a few so those few want more. Problem is, they also cripple oversight - so the American taxpayer loses oversight/accountability of the function. So the FDA is unable to monitor food and drugs, the Interior Department simply hands over assets to extractive industry without managing for the long term, etc.

Privatization of some functions isn't a bad thing ... (like NASA turning non-R&D activities over to the private sector), but this is basically theft of the General Fund to pad the pockets of a few with a degradation of results.
Old 2012-10-31, 14:15   Link #1950
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Lol! XD

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-10-31, 14:24   Link #1951
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:

(like NASA turning non-R&D activities over to the private sector),
Just to be sidetracked for a second....... I really think this was the best decision made to further the agenda of US space program. The PR done for the Curiosity is a perfect example. NASA was doomed with its public support dwindling, but now more and more people are showing interest at Space Program than as early as it was seen in... say 4-5 years ago. I knew Obama administration was going to face criticism over that decision, but as the results are showing already, we are in the right trajectory at fulfilling our greater ambition of space exploration. Privatizing some aspect of NASA also helps steer away from the increasing scrutiny and politicizing of why we want to spend government money on Space Program and science.

edit: To comment on MK's video, Romney gets my vote if he even say about the video, "I approve this message." That was awesome!
Old 2012-10-31, 14:24   Link #1952
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
The anti-FEMA remarks are essentially a GOP continuation of the "privatization of government" (transfer of functionality into private for-profit hands, only a few hands btw). The Bush Administration spent eight years doing this to a number of government agencies and its been so profitable for a few so those few want more. Problem is, they also cripple oversight - so the American taxpayer loses oversight/accountability of the function. So the FDA is unable to monitor food and drugs, the Interior Department simply hands over assets to extractive industry without managing for the long term, etc.

Privatization of some functions isn't a bad thing ... (like NASA turning non-R&D activities over to the private sector), but this is basically theft of the General Fund to pad the pockets of a few with a degradation of results.
B-but, we can't vote for those liberal democrats. What about big government? I don't like that there isn't a public option for Obamacare! Nevermind that the GOP made sure that was the case.

Funny how people go nuts about the democrat's big government (the GOP has it's own kind of big government policies, I might add), but they don't care about - or don't even know about - the privitization of the government.
Old 2012-10-31, 14:35   Link #1953
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Romney's Hurricane "Relief Effort" Was as Fake as Ryan's Soup Kitchen Photo Op
http://truth-out.org/buzzflash/comme...tchen-photo-op
Quote:
Both events were pulled off with calculated cynicism.

Yesterday, Romney's campaign – facing the challenge of a president in command of natural disaster relief – converted an Ohio political rally into a political rally disguised as providing voluntary charitable contributions to help hurricane victims on the East Coast. The problem was that collecting canned goods and other items is not what agencies such as the Red Cross want. In fact, attempting to process such relatively small donations hinders massive assistance efforts, according to non-governmental organizations.

Loading donated cans of Campbell's Soup and jars of peanuts into a rental truck makes for a nice photo-op, but it won't help any hurricane victims. Nine will get you ten that the donations will be dropped off at some pantry in Ohio, far away from the damage from Sandy.

On top of that, BuzzFeed reports that allegedly $5,000 was spent at Walmart by the Romney campaign so that Mitt could be photographed amidst an abundant supply of granola bars and diapers.

This last-minute "relief effort," of course, is consistent with the Romney/Ryan belief that individual charitable contributions can somehow take care of areas with billions of dollars in damage. Did anyone bring a house, bridge or subway to the Romney "compassion" charade? Doubt it, wouldn't fit in the rental truck.
Not much of a surprise here.
Old 2012-10-31, 14:36   Link #1954
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Just to be sidetracked for a second....... I really think this was the best decision made to further the agenda of US space program. The PR done for the Curiosity is a perfect example. NASA was doomed with its public support dwindling, but now more and more people are showing interest at Space Program than as early as it was seen in... say 4-5 years ago. I knew Obama administration was going to face criticism over that decision, but as the results are showing already, we are in the right trajectory at fulfilling our greater ambition of space exploration. Privatizing some aspect of NASA also helps steer away from the increasing scrutiny and politicizing of why we want to spend government money on Space Program and science.

edit: To comment on MK's video, Romney gets my vote if he even say about the video, "I approve this message." That was awesome!

Agreed, to me this is what privatization SHOULD MEAN: the R&D is 'done' for LEO activities, transfer the functionality to private industry. Somewhat like the partnership between the railroads and government to expedite the colonization of the US frontier (which had its good and bad moments).

Privatization of basic government functions (defense/protection of the citizenry) is just fucking evil/stupid/both.
Old 2012-10-31, 14:57   Link #1955
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Brawndo anyone?
It is United Corporate Police State of America

Quote:

Privatization of basic government functions (defense/protection of the citizenry) is just fucking evil/stupid/both.
i thought Robocop did pretty well in Detroit.
Old 2012-10-31, 15:07   Link #1956
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i thought Robocop did pretty well in Detroit.
I doubt than shooting criminal pretty much whatever their crime is could be considered a ''good job''.
Old 2012-10-31, 15:16   Link #1957
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The for-profit police would choose what crime to prevent that maximized corporate profits. The cheapest way to end a crime situation is to shoot everyone who looks guilty, Fearless Fosdick style.
Old 2012-10-31, 15:21   Link #1958
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
The for-profit police would choose what crime to prevent that maximized corporate profits. The cheapest way to end a crime situation is to shoot everyone who looks guilty, Fearless Fosdick style.
i think the police in Vallejo, California is already doing it. There has approximately 5 cases of Cops shooting the suspect dead this year.
Old 2012-10-31, 15:57   Link #1959
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Romney's Hurricane "Relief Effort" Was as Fake as Ryan's Soup Kitchen Photo Op
http://truth-out.org/buzzflash/comme...tchen-photo-op

Not much of a surprise here.

So Romney politicized the Libya incident, putting an attack on Obama before the facts were clear (details were still emerging and the incident was in progress, as we all know), and now he is politicizing off of Hurricane Sandy. He probably doesn't really care about the hurricane victims. The strongest emotions he is getting from the hurricane is his hopes that perhaps the hurricane can turn the election in his favor. He is such a scumbag, and these things show it.

Most Romney supporters probably won't care upon hearing about this, they'll figure it is okay so long as it wins more votes for Romney from those who don't find out it is a charade. I really mean that. They didn't care that Romney took different stances on debates 1 and 3. They figured "Hey, the people who fell for it are stupid, but we don't care, so long as it helps Romney get elected". The only people there that would be stupid would be the ones who stick by such a lousy candidate who stands for nothing. What does he stand for? We don't know, he changes stances so much and so often. I guess he stands for 'corporatist inhumanity'.
Old 2012-10-31, 16:25   Link #1960
Destined_Fate

Why am I not surprised? Though what's this about the food not even being sent to the Redcross but to New Jersey to be handed out?

Also, more on that... Seems he likes taking all bad events as opportunities.

http://americablog.com/2012/10/romne...ief-event.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Brawndo anyone?
That is kinda sad that the bigwigs are doing so well in this horrible tragedy while millions more are suffering. Must be great being the top 1%, huh?

Last edited by Destined_Fate; 2012-10-31 at 16:41.
Closed Thread