3 out of 10: Bad... 1 2.27%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 2.27%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-12-12, 19:01   Link #81
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
I don't know what people expect from this show.
Sigh...the thing is, the show has LOTS of potential (Especially the overall plot, LOTS of possibility), yet it's getting killed by childish design, fairly boring battle scene (Okay, the expectation on this did went up quite a bit...), and just overall a lack of direction (10 episodes in and it still feels like nothing has happen. Okay, fine, we figure out UE is some faction controlled probably by "newtypes"...on the other hand, they better not give a half-ass reason on why exactly are they destroying colonies, one by one...)

At the end, it sort of have the Gundam X vibe (Well, not really other than Jamil Neate = Grodek, Tiffa = Yamada Yurin), but we all know how popular Gundam X were (Just can't follow up to the extremely successful W...)
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 19:01   Link #82
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Well....that's because they aren't. The Diva crew is pretty much a renegade ship acting on its own accord. They broke off the chain of the Federation. That's why you don't see them as a heavy part of the story.
^You're still missing the point bruh...
Old 2011-12-12, 19:06   Link #83
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
^You're still missing the point bruh...
Then what is the point, bruh?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 19:26   Link #84
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

GN0010 Nosferatu, I believe wingdarkness is trying to tell you that in his opinion, the "Federation" is a non-entity in the story, despite a few token references given here and there to remind the audience that it does exist. As long-time Gundam show viewers, we have some idea of what the Federation could be, but newer audiences (those that Bandai and the show creators said back in summer that they are reaching out to) would probably just ignore it altogether. Why? Because the Federation, as an actor, has so far contributed very little to how the plot is being advanced.

This is not to say that the Federation won't ever. We know they will make a move soon from spoilers.
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 19:26   Link #85
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

*flashily adjusts glasses again, then turns around*

The point is they're using that as a reason not to flesh out the Federation, either by sheer laziness or because they don't want their core audience to give a damn about it...In the Newspaper profession we call it "Burying the Lead"...The Federation seemingly not caring about any of this, is the lead...

Anyone with a bit of common sense has to atleast admit it's almost criminal the lack of story-shaping that has been given to the federation...Whether that be a conscious effort to create a Gundam show that's different from most or not, it comes across to me (as many elements of this show does), as purposefully lacking...Then they try to hide it or distract it with a line here or there when they haven't even given it flesh enough to di$$ it...It's troubling, probably the most troubling thing about this show, but not the only thing...Either you can roll with it, or be the person you are in life who can't excuse $hit like this...

Ups to Realist_Classic aswell...
Old 2011-12-12, 19:30   Link #86
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:
*flashily adjusts glasses again, then turns around*

The point is they're using that as a reason not to flesh out the Federation, either by sheer laziness or because they don't want their core audience to give a damn about it...In the Newspaper profession we call it "Burying the Lead"...The Federation seemingly not caring about any of this, is the lead...

Anyone with a bit of common sense has to atleast admit it's almost criminal the lack of story-shaping that has been given to the federation...Whether that be a conscious effort to create a Gundam show that's different from most or not, it comes across to me (as many elements of this show does), as purposefully lacking...Then they try to hide it or distract it with a line here or there when they haven't even given it flesh enough to di$$ it...It's troubling, probably the most troubling thing about this show, but not the only thing...Either you can roll with it, or be the person you are in life who can't excuse $hit like this...
And yes, I would have to agree with wingdarkness that it's the fault of lazy writing that the Federation is being portrayed this way.
Old 2011-12-12, 19:36   Link #87
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:

That would be pretty lame for a Jamesbond movie
, mainly because he's human, and not moving all around would spell death. The Gafran on the other hand, are immune to bullets, and beams for that matter (most of them anyway). As others have said, the UE didn't really need to fly all around the battlefield because they weren't being harmed by the majority of enemies on the field. The G-Exes and Gundam are two units among a battlefield of about, maybe 50 mobile suits all together. The UE probably couldn't keep track of them because all of their attention was drawn to those mook MS who are (compared to them) made of styrofoam. But, hey as wingdarkness said, eye of the beholder right? I see a good fight with every reason for the UE to have been acting the way they should have.
Exactly, it's the same thing that's happening in AGE now.

James bond is also immune to bullets, rewatch some of the old movies and you'll notice he basically stands around doing nothing but oneshotting bad guys in some of them.

i might be overexaggerating right now but to put it plain out there, the battles have been lackluster for a gundam show, and as long as this show has the name " Gundam " i expect atleast some good Mobile suit battles from it, sofar this show has not delivered on that part, it's been far than below average.

Episode 10 didnt add any positive aspects to that either, not to mention the Spallow cutting the Zedas into pieces, just to have it lose a arm and a leg, big wtf moment for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Sigh...the thing is, the show has LOTS of potential (Especially the overall plot, LOTS of possibility), yet it's getting killed by childish design, fairly boring battle scene (Okay, the expectation on this did went up quite a bit...), and just overall a lack of direction (10 episodes in and it still feels like nothing has happen. Okay, fine, we figure out UE is some faction controlled probably by "newtypes"...on the other hand, they better not give a half-ass reason on why exactly are they destroying colonies, one by one...)

At the end, it sort of have the Gundam X vibe (Well, not really other than Jamil Neate = Grodek, Tiffa = Yamada Yurin), but we all know how popular Gundam X were (Just can't follow up to the extremely successful W...)
i couldn't possibly agree more with what your saying about the show having potential

This show had and still has alot of potential but it seems to be throwing that out of the window.

on the other hand, i quite enjoyed Gundam X, but thats mainly because i'm a huge fan of Post apocalyptic works
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 19:44   Link #88
dagr81
The legendary dragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post

Episode 10 didnt add any positive aspects to that either, not to mention the Spallow cutting the Zedas into pieces, just to have it lose a arm and a leg, big wtf moment for me.
yeah that was a WTF moment for me as well, the sword that can cut anything and with all that fancy movement they showed and arm or leg got cut off. the dam thing just cut zedas sword!!!
dagr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 19:55   Link #89
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr81 View Post
yeah that was a WTF moment for me as well, the sword that can cut anything and with all that fancy movement they showed and arm or leg got cut off. the dam thing just cut zedas sword!!!
That's the only problem I had with this episode. The damage to the Zedas was not accurate to the areas where the Spallow cut it. Another thing that bugged me was how when the AGE Gundam changed wears, it completely discarded the regular arms and legs. How they gonna get them back?

You want a plot hole, there's a plot hole.
Old 2011-12-12, 19:58   Link #90
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

They can just retrieve the Normal wear parts after the battle. They weren't the ones driven off, after all.
Old 2011-12-12, 20:00   Link #91
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
They can just retrieve the Normal wear parts after the battle. They weren't the ones driven off, after all.
Here's hoping they ain't a few thousand miles away by now.
Old 2011-12-12, 20:49   Link #92
brightman
Ancient Member

What's wrong with how the Federation is portrayed? Seems to be the type of incompetent Federation that we've come to hate in shows such as Zeta, ZZ, Victory and GX. Heck, the Federation from late UC acts eerily similar to the one in AGE, right down to the pragmatism and corruptness that they are known for, and the fact that they generally disappear in the face of conflict and leave everything to the more capable main characters. The only difference is that AGE's Federation is just incompetent due to general lack of experience and knowledge, rather than the whole "people's soul weighted down by gravity" thing that the UC Federation is characterized with.
Old 2011-12-12, 20:53   Link #93
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^They're not being portrayed...

Don't equate lack of portrayal with a portrayal that's lacking...
Old 2011-12-12, 20:54   Link #94
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:

They are portrayed in this show about as much as the Federation proper was portrayed in the shows I mentioned, which is almost never. They are corrupt, incompetent and useless, so they fade to the background
Old 2011-12-12, 21:22   Link #95
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Here's hoping they ain't a few thousand miles away by now.
Hey, better than it falling into the ocean.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 03:33   Link #96
Slick_rick

Quote:

I thinking you might be missing the point. Perhaps the relative lack of a portrayal/presence is, in fact, a plot point.

Lets take for example the federation captain who wanted to leave the colonists behind to save themselves, and their lack of intervention in any of the conflicts so far. These seems to be a giving a sense of abandonment to their duty to protect the people against the U.E.

That void seems to be what Flit and the crew of the Diva are filling. They have been willing to protect/die for civilians and have challenged/defeated the U.E.

It seems to me that they might be building their own factions to go against the U.E. They'll need more allies as I expect the U.E has more firepower coming soon enough. They might even challenge or takeover the federation later.

I think you at need to acknowledge the possibility that might not some conspiracy or failure due to lazy or bad writing but actually by a thought out design. Whether you like that design or not. I'm not going to argue opinions but I do see a bit of a tunnel vision on your criticism here.
Old 2011-12-13, 05:18   Link #97
Sides

Concerning the Federation:
Didn't Gordek try to avoid areas where large federation fleet were stationed? I mean even Fardain was not really ran by them, zalam and euba had much more power and influence than the federation.
At the moment we have no idea what is happening in the other areas, maybe they are stretched or they don't care about colonies on the outer regions and are focusing their forces at more important locations. Besides we don't know how far the next outpost is, bearing in mind the Diva needs 2 days to its next destination.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 05:59   Link #98
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Concerning the Federation:
Didn't Gordek try to avoid areas where large federation fleet were stationed? I mean even Fardain was not really ran by them, zalam and euba had much more power and influence than the federation.
My guess is that the colonies enjoy a certain degree of autonomy in regulating their own affairs. Nora probably had more oversight given the amount of mobile suits, whereas the Federation obviously aren't responsible for colony defense on Fardain, and hence had little influence over Zalam and Euba.

Quote:
At the moment we have no idea what is happening in the other areas, maybe they are stretched or they don't care about colonies on the outer regions and are focusing their forces at more important locations.
Curiously little information. Given the amount of animation and background work that went into the AGE system and colonies, having them draw a map of the AGE world wouldn't have been too much to ask for. Unless, this lack of information was done on purpose.

Quote:
Besides we don't know how far the next outpost is, bearing in mind the Diva needs 2 days to its next destination.
From what we know through Woolf and Vargas' conversation, the next destination for Diva is the colony Minsley, which is two weeks transit time away. No idea where it is relative to anything else in the AGE world. We do know that the Federation can dock there.
Old 2011-12-13, 06:12   Link #99
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist_Classic View Post
Given the amount of animation and background work that went into the AGE system and colonies, having them draw a map of the AGE world wouldn't have been too much to ask for.
Have other gundam shows had this very advanced technology known as maps? (and I mean real ones, not just unreadable ones) I would think it would make it really hard on the plot writers if the system and locations were set in stone.
Old 2011-12-13, 06:22   Link #100
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Have other gundam shows had this very advanced technology known as maps? (and I mean real ones, not just unreadable ones) I would think it would make it really hard on the plot writers if the system and locations were set in stone.
Technically, Gundam 00 did show us the worlds map, right? Aside from that, I don't remember seeing any one else.

Tags
weekly episode discussion