AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-10-25, 22:26   Link #5161
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Are all Japanese console games THIS expensive

(I had a look at ToV for PS3 as I need to buy it when the translation patch is released, and it was a whopping $91.99 x.x)
So-called "niche" games in Japan tend to be super expensive (visual novels, some RPGs, etc.). More mainstream games are closer to US prices, but still hover above (not considering the currently lopsided exchange rate; even in the ideal world of 1 penny = 1 yen, they'd be more expensive).

I assume that, at least for the Japanese-made games, the Japanese prices are standard, and the US prices are lowered so that people will, you know, actually buy them. Different markets But then you get to the rest of the world and then the price really skyrockets...
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 08:02   Link #5162
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

There is an aching pain in my coccyx area in the past few days. Have I been sitting down too much or what?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 06:45   Link #5163
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Just wondering if this is possible yet, last time I used headsets it wasn't though that was ages ago.
Basically is it possible to split the audio you use basically using the boxes for music or ingame sounds and Skype for the audio plug in for your headset?
What I sort of want is to have the voices of my friends go through the headset while my own audio remains to come from my boxes; the reason is that I don't like everyone in this house to hear the people I am with on Skype but I also do not like to use headsets for music as I already damaged my ears lightly because of them in the past.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 08:10   Link #5164
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Basically is it possible to split the audio you use basically using the boxes for music or ingame sounds and Skype for the audio plug in for your headset?
That depends on a couple of things. Firstly if you're using Windows it'll (probably) need to be Vista or 7 (#1), and secondly you'll need to check how Windows 'sees' your sound device (sound card, motherboard audio, etc). If you go into the Sound settings window in your Control Panel you'll get a list of sound ports and devices that Windows has picked up. E.g. mine is:

I have two sound cards and each has several ports that windows has picked up. If you only have one sound device you'll have to hope that Windows 'sees' your headphone port separately from your speaker port(s). Whether it does probably depends on your sound device drivers. If you don't see a separate listing for your headphone port, then you could always get a cheap second sound card that you can plug your headphones (for Skype) into.

Next, you'll need to tell Skype to use your headphone port (or second sound card). Their online help page has a section detailing how to set the output device/port (just select the headphone port on the speakers drop-down box).

Some other programs, e.g. Mediaplayer Classic allow you to set different output devices/ports:

So you could route sound in those as well, but quite a few programs just use the default output device/port selected in your Sound page (in the Control Panel). So it's something to check first if you want to route audio for other programs to your headphones.

(#1): I think Windows XP and earlier had issues with multiple sound cards, and it may not have shown separate output ports in the Control Panel sound page.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 08:49   Link #5165
HasuMasu
*Artist

Is it really better not to clean your ears?
Old 2011-10-31, 09:37   Link #5166
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahd View Post
That depends on a couple of things. Firstly if you're using Windows it'll (probably) need to be Vista or 7 (#1), and secondly you'll need to check how Windows 'sees' your sound device (sound card, motherboard audio, etc). If you go into the Sound settings window in your Control Panel you'll get a list of sound ports and devices that Windows has picked up. E.g. mine is:

I have two sound cards and each has several ports that windows has picked up. If you only have one sound device you'll have to hope that Windows 'sees' your headphone port separately from your speaker port(s). Whether it does probably depends on your sound device drivers. If you don't see a separate listing for your headphone port, then you could always get a cheap second sound card that you can plug your headphones (for Skype) into.

Next, you'll need to tell Skype to use your headphone port (or second sound card). Their online help page has a section detailing how to set the output device/port (just select the headphone port on the speakers drop-down box).

Some other programs, e.g. Mediaplayer Classic allow you to set different output devices/ports:

So you could route sound in those as well, but quite a few programs just use the default output device/port selected in your Sound page (in the Control Panel). So it's something to check first if you want to route audio for other programs to your headphones.

(#1): I think Windows XP and earlier had issues with multiple sound cards, and it may not have shown separate output ports in the Control Panel sound page.
I'll try it out later this week, I still have to buy a new headset, but yes I am using Windows 7.
I'll have to see if it gets separately listed if I plug it in on the front. Thank you for your answer =)
I use Foobar and it lets me pick which port to use also
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 15:23   Link #5167
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Just wondering if this is possible yet, last time I used headsets it wasn't though that was ages ago.
What I sort of want is to have the voices of my friends go through the headset while my own audio remains to come from my boxes; the reason is that I don't like everyone in this house to hear the people I am with on Skype but I also do not like to use headsets for music as I already damaged my ears lightly because of them in the past.
if you have a USB headset yes, use the settings they showed to not usb while changing skype's settings here to your non-default audio(USB):

MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 00:19   Link #5168
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
There is an aching pain in my coccyx area in the past few days. Have I been sitting down too much or what?
It's possible, but seems unlikely. Did you bump it against a wall, or sit down with a lot of force recently? That may be a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Is it really better not to clean your ears?
This probably varies from person to person. I've occasionally heard that suggestion, but the reasoning behind it has more to do with the fact that some people don't clean their ears properly (and often insert Q-tips too far into the ear canal, risking damage). Improper technique may also cause ear wax to go into the canal, forming a layer that is somewhat painful to have removed.

The proper technique when using a Q-tip is to start around the outer edge of the canal, such that the tip of the Q-tip is just barely inside of the ear canal, gently moving in circles and outward to the rest of the ear. Once you're outside of the canal, do what you like, as long as you're not making motions that would get wax back into the ear canal.

Anecdotally, I'll tell you this: I used to clean my ears daily. However, about 2-4 times per year, I would get a pimple in my ear. It's probably one of the most uncomfortable places you could get a pimple. About 2-3 years ago I stopped swabbing my ears regularly, and the pimples completely stopped. Occasionally I'll get a bit of wax on my finger from scratching my ear, but the trade-off is worth it, in my opinion. But that's how it was for my body - I don't expect that everyone would have such an experience.

Although now that I think about it, my wife doesn't clean her ears and she has no issues, either... what was the rationale my parents had for having me swab them regularly?
Old 2011-11-03, 00:21   Link #5169
HasuMasu
*Artist

I really don't know, aren't the ears supposed to have their own way of getting rid of excess wax?

Otherwise, how did people get by without ear buds then?
Old 2011-11-03, 15:12   Link #5170
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
I really don't know, aren't the ears supposed to have their own way of getting rid of excess wax?

Otherwise, how did people get by without ear buds then?
Of course - if you don't do anything, the wax is naturally "secreted" outwards. Eventually it dries up and falls out (or you can rub it out - don't clean your ears for a while, and the next time you have to scratch your ear, you might find the wax residue on your finger).

To be honest, I'm not sure where the custom for cleaning one's ears came from. Perhaps some people had excessive wax that was visible, or maybe there was some idea that it improved a person's health. In modern days, it may be useful to clean your ears if you use ear buds, because excessive wax might build up on them over time and ruin them.

As far as I know there are no health risks from not cleaning your ears, at least for a healthy individual.
Old 2011-11-03, 17:45   Link #5171
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
It's possible, but seems unlikely. Did you bump it against a wall, or sit down with a lot of force recently? That may be a cause.
Nope, I don't remember bumping against anything or sit down with alot of force (unless you count that I don't have alot of mass around my waist area). And the worst thing is I don't have time to even see a doctor.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-11-04, 05:43   Link #5172
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well just last night while I was on duty at the Emergency Room some kid came with lots of bleeding in the ear canal because of impacted ear wax, tried to pick it off, and her ears bled and nearly perforated her eardrum. Generally speaking you shouldn't clean your ears if you can't really see it. You need to get a professional (an ENT) to do it.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 06:11   Link #5173
HasuMasu
*Artist

If only my mom would listen, mga paniniwalang matatanda talaga oh.
Old 2011-11-04, 06:15   Link #5174
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Quote:
Nope, I don't remember bumping against anything or sit down with alot of force (unless you count that I don't have alot of mass around my waist area). And the worst thing is I don't have time to even see a doctor.
If there's a bruise then that would suggest it's because of some trauma. Otherwise I have no idea. How severe is the pain? Because if it's quite severe then it might be best to visit the emergency department if it persists and you can't get a doctor. In the meantime it's probably best to avoid sitting or just lean forward on your legs whilst sitting. Taking some Ibuprofen might help.

Also this is the internet, so double check everything I just said...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 16:19   Link #5175
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
The internet can't tell without a proper examination, but very high chance your sitting posture ain't so good. Here's a good explanation:
http://www.revolutionhealth.com/foru...-health/136659

Stick your bum out when you're sitting on the chair. If you find this very difficult to do and your lower back has to tense to this, you probably have some abdominal muscle atrophy...or the chair is way too small and doesn't allow the angle for you to sit like this. If that turns out to be the case, PM me and I'll explain how to reverse it and/or get a new chair. If it's just a problem of recent habit, you're on you're way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Of course - if you don't do anything, the wax is naturally "secreted" outwards. Eventually it dries up and falls out (or you can rub it out - don't clean your ears for a while, and the next time you have to scratch your ear, you might find the wax residue on your finger).

To be honest, I'm not sure where the custom for cleaning one's ears came from. Perhaps some people had excessive wax that was visible, or maybe there was some idea that it improved a person's health. In modern days, it may be useful to clean your ears if you use ear buds, because excessive wax might build up on them over time and ruin them.

As far as I know there are no health risks from not cleaning your ears, at least for a healthy individual.
It's interesting, I was watching an anthropology documentary called 'Tribe', and at one point two of the tribal members started cleaning their ears out by hanging a forest bug inside. Which would pretty much eat the wax. Seems it's customary for humans to fiddle with themselves. Given earwax is a natural secretion, even without looking through Wikipedia (*cough*) you could predict it serves a useful function and shouldn't be removed.

Last edited by Kakashi; 2011-11-04 at 17:00.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 18:07   Link #5176
Feiticeira
You're kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfileOF View Post
eh...just want to learn some English, but don't know where to post the question...
In Japanese language there is a word 'ChuNiByou (中二病)'.
It means considering oneself as the special being in the world or some similar mental status.
The status is usually seen on second-year middle school students, where the word gets its name.
Can anyone tell me the official or formal translation of the word in English? Thank you.
Saw this post first word that came to mind was sophmoric, doesn't have the same exact meaning but it means pretentious, conceited, and childish. It's base is from sophmore 2nd year students in highschool.
Feiticeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 01:17   Link #5177
HasuMasu
*Artist

My default search engine suddenly became Yahoo! how do I fix this?
Old 2011-11-07, 01:26   Link #5178
monster

Quote:
My default search engine suddenly became Yahoo! how do I fix this?
Change it in your browser's option/preference.

Also, if someone else didn't change your search engine, it may have been changed by a program you installed or some malware.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 04:56   Link #5179
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

How true is this?

Spoiler for My score is 35:

So does it mean I am mentally handicapped? What does this test for anyway?

Old 2011-11-07, 05:03   Link #5180
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
How true is this?

Spoiler for My score is 35:

So does it mean I am mentally handicapped? What does this test for anyway?
Looking at the questions I'd say you're mentally handicapped if you actually believe this test is even worth your time.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious