AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 48 36.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 34.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 21.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.52%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-27, 19:58   Link #41
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Proto makes his random prediction of the year: Sayaka will manage to remain alive till the end. Either that or she will get a looking back segment during her death. But I prefer the first one since the show is becoming a tad too predictable.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 20:01   Link #42
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
My biggest complaint here is that neither girl asked if a wish could bring back the dead. It would seem to be an obvious thing to ask. Granted, they are both depressed, but it has to come up sooner or later. By not addressing it, it becomes a big ole elephant in the room, leaving them an out later to bring back Mami.

The big thing is, we don't know what limits there are on the wish, if any. We clearly know that it can save someone who is dying... but what if you could wish to end the system? Wish for all witches to go back to normal, and/or for witches to never be created nor exist within their world ever again? Wish that there was never a need for someone to become a magical girl?

To me, that's the biggest beef with this series, and it's what throws all this speculation into near pointlessness. As opposed to a series like Mai HiME, the idea that everyone can come back is right there in our faces.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 20:12   Link #43
Stefkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Ending prognosis:

Spoiler:

Details tomorrow.
That's what I also think. I just did what you said and I can see your point, some of the lyrics make sense for that sort of ending.

Dunno if I should spoiler this but I was waiting for Sayaka to finally go ahead and do it. It was all set up with her going to the hospital, I've been waiting ever since the first scene that guy appeared for her to do it.
His reaction really didn't look like one of happiness. I was thinking Sayaka had ruined the guys life in the way that she just cured something incurable, he'll be tested and tested by doctors to find out the reason why it happened. That's the first thing I thought, maybe it won't go that way.
We've seen Mami go in a fight against a witch, I think Sayaka will go in a fight with the other MG that showed up just to show the two sides of the coin; you fight one or the other.
Stefkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 20:46   Link #44
scr
my sides are in orbit

Can't believe i'm actually agreeing with the majority this time, especially Sir Mentar.
Btw folks, if you wanna speculah, i think everyone will be better served if the speculah are made in speculah thread.

OK, speculah time.
Spoiler for here be da speculah!:

At this point, i believe that Homura is in Chikane's shoes. Gotta keep your loved one out of the loop, baby.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 20:48   Link #45
BubbleGumCrisis

I really like Sayaka for some reason and hope she does not die. While a Mai HiME ending would really piss me off I'd start prying for one if they do off her.
BubbleGumCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 21:07   Link #46
ChronoReverse

Hrm, while Sayaka may indeed go witchy, there's no reason Sakura doesn't kill(defeat?) her as declared while she's (still) a magical girl. Or Sayaka kills Sakura in self-defense and thus is lead to the brink of sanity.

Regardless, they're putting up death flags for Sayaka all over.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 21:17   Link #47
J the Drafter

I'm amused at the fact that the episode after we are shown firmly how dangerous the magical girl life is, the only reason Madoka is alive is because Sayaka becomes a magical girl.

Also, Kyubey has freakish timing.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 21:25   Link #48
herbert

Can dead MG be brought back to life? The big question begging for an answer after episode 3 is no more a question. Yes or no, does it make any difference? MGs are destined to fight till death. A wish to bring Mami back means killing Mami again together with the one made the wish. I think it's smart to ignore the BunnyCat but Sayaka doesn't. I am with those make sad forecast on Sayaka - her doom is close.
Old 2011-01-27, 21:31   Link #49
D-Gold
Aurum

I still stick to my Kyubey is evil belief and Sayaka seems like she made a rushed decision. I expect her wish to backfire on her big time. I am still in awe that Madoka hasn't become a magical girl yet.

I am predicting for next ep Sayaka x Kyoko fight then Homura saves Sayaka and Madoka still doesnt transform.

Also i miss my gun weilding Mami I liked watching her more than Sayaka's sword attacks.
Old 2011-01-27, 22:00   Link #50
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Just caught the ep.

Pity that Mami didn't come back...

A nice epsidoe that leads into the rest of the series. I'm a bit surprised that Madoka didn't become a magical girl this episode. Sayaka's decision doesn't surprise me.

As for Kyuubeh, I'm still not too sold on the evil idea. He did show up pretty conveniently near Sayaka, but then judging from what she said before, he could have teleported or something. madoka's thing is a bit more complicated. Kyuubeh could have been setting things up but it could have been coincidence. Still can't tell.

And again, more evidence that Homura is a time traveler. Not just her reaction with Madoka but the way she reacted when she saw Sayaka, as if she couldn't believe her eyes.

New magical girl seems...practical. Is it that once a magical girl becomes unable to be a magical girl, their wish is revoked?

One more thing, Sayaka was being pretty insensitive with Kamijou, wasn't she?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 22:10   Link #51
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
Madoka probably won't being a Magical Girl until sometime near the end probably., We'll see everyone else in action first.
Old 2011-01-27, 22:17   Link #52
Belgaesh

This episode shows why sometimes ignorance is a bliss. Madoka wouldn't be cursing herself for her powerlessness, if she didn't know of all this MG stuff.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 22:32   Link #53
Proto

I would be to disagree. In the words of Isaac Asimov.

Though it is true that sometimes knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we will be able to solve them.
Old 2011-01-27, 22:33   Link #54
Key Board
Carbon

It's clear to me that Madoka lost her memory of Homura. This is the only thing I am accepting as fact right now.

what's not clear is why

presumably it is because of a wish
if you use this angle you must then ask, what kind of wish would cause this and why?
then you can further break it down. Who made that wish and when was this wish made
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 22:35   Link #55
Proto

Personally I think the show is being too obvious in its use of 'subtle' hints. Anyone with more than 1 year of experience with anime can pick them up without trouble. I really hope the show has several layers of trolling story twists or this show will go down as the most not so obvious obvious storyline in history.
Old 2011-01-27, 22:41   Link #56
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well had a feeling the title of the episode was somewhat of a trick. Wasn't about Mami at all and instead about Sayaka giving in to something she'd been thinking about over and over again. Of course if she hadn't done it then Madoka probably would have bought it. Homura had decent timing, but easily could have made it far too late. Really considering there seems to be something with her and Madoka you'd think Homura would be watching her like a hawk.

Madoka really needs to either make a wish or be certain to stay out of things going forward. Considering it was her friend hard for her to ignore it, but has to be able to step back depending on the situation.

I hadn't thought about it, but not that surprising what happened at the end. You figure that some experienced Magical Girls would want to take out rookie competition. Takes a twisted kind of person, but possible. That way you have a larger area to hunt in and should be able to find witches easier.

Yet I'm not sure why a new girl was even called in. I mean Homura was already in the area so shouldn't responsibility have fallen onto her when Mami died?

Anyways still waiting to see what Madoka is going to do. It'll depend on what happens to Sayaka who I'm really hoping can avoid getting killed. Curious about a wish to revive the dead with and so nothing to do but wait.
Old 2011-01-27, 22:51   Link #57
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I figured that neither of them would use their wish to bring Mami back. In Madoka's case I knew that she wouldn't be so impulsive, even if she did care for Mami as much as she did. She'd basically have to offer her own life, and it's not like Mami's resurrection is 100% guaranteed to go well if she did wish for that. It's normal that Madoka wouldn't want to be a magical girl after seeing what happened last episode, I don't really understand why everyone thought that her becoming a magical girl in order to resurrect her friend (who she didn't even know for that long) was a likely outcome.

Sayaka on the other hand, everyone was right about her. I could also see her becoming a magical girl relatively soon, and definitely sooner than Madoka. She's much more impulsive than Madoka is and the introduction of Kyosuke kind of hinted at Sayaka becoming a magical girl soon because he gave her something to wish for. I don't understand why Sayaka acted so impulsively after what happened the day before but I can't say I'm surprised. I'm sure she'll come to regret it, I just wonder how soon that will be.
After Mami's death I got the feeling that Madoka's decision to become a magical girl would be the climax of the series and would happen much later. Until then I do wonder how Sayaka's story will unfold, especially with the introduction of Kyoko.

I also wonder how many more times Madoka will be dragged back into this mess. She already found herself in a helpless situation this episode, and also saw that her friends and family could be future targets. If Sayaka hadn't made that wish then Homura probably would've saved her (since she showed up right after Sayaka saved Madoka) but would that have been too late? It already seemed as if Sayaka was right on time, and if Madoka keeps getting pulled into the barriers then she's going to have to rely on Sayaka/Homura for a bit... and if Kyoko is as sneaky as I think she is, it's possible that Madoka may have more misfortune coming her way. If Kyoko really wants to get rid of Sayaka, then using her best friend is one way to bait her into a battle/trap.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 23:03   Link #58
BarbecueSauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yet I'm not sure why a new girl was even called in. I mean Homura was already in the area so shouldn't responsibility have fallen onto her when Mami died?
I was under the impression that Homura is a rogue MG and she's operating within Kyubey's domain. It's only logical for Kyubey to look for a suitable MG replacement when his/her two would-be recruits are taking a long time to make a contract.

Kyoko just happened to show up when Sayaka already made her wish.
BarbecueSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 23:11   Link #59
Belgaesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by momobunny View Post
Sayaka on the other hand, everyone was right about her. I could also see her becoming a magical girl relatively soon, and definitely sooner than Madoka. She's much more impulsive than Madoka is and the introduction of Kyosuke kind of hinted at Sayaka becoming a magical girl soon because he gave her something to wish for. I don't understand why Sayaka acted so impulsively after what happened the day before but I can't say I'm surprised. I'm sure she'll come to regret it, I just wonder how soon that will be.
After Mami's death I got the feeling that Madoka's decision to become a magical girl would be the climax of the series and would happen much later. Until then I do wonder how Sayaka's story will unfold, especially with the introduction of Kyoko.
Sayaka will probably already be regreting it in the next episode, as the episode title is "There's No Way I'd Regret It".
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 23:17   Link #60
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgaesh View Post
Sayaka will probably already be regreting it in the next episode, as the episode title is "There's No Way I'd Regret It".
Yeah I can see that happening. ^^;

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote