AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-06-20, 12:26   Link #261
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Finally, a real queen has hatched in fire and blood I can not wait for her to put all those bastards to death inthe coming seasons!

That last scene was beautiful, best way to end the season
Those were my sentiments exactly. Especially the

I'm conflicted between whether I want Arya to kill that little pimple Joffrey with her pointy end, or whether I want Dany to sweep down and just annihilate him with her awesome royal presence.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 14:54   Link #262
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Epic ending. Now I have nothing to watch . Going to be a long summer.

Joffery has become a cruel king and he is like 14. Yeah, I'm guessing more families will eventually rise up against. Makes me wonder though, what will happen when Dany gets across the sea. Will she pillage and rape everyone like she said, cause I like the Starks.

Then of course as the Commander of the Watch said. Beyond the Wall awaits something far worse than a human war. If the Whitewalkers invade when the Kingdom falls into Winter, everyone will be needed.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 15:09   Link #263
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
I'm conflicted between whether I want Arya to kill that little pimple Joffrey with her pointy end, or whether I want Dany to sweep down and just annihilate him with her awesome royal presence.
I think I prefer Arya to do it. She's seriously one of my favorite characters in the series (and if she were older, she'd be the type of girl I'd wanna marry )

That being said, caught up with the series and I have nothing but good things to say about it. What it boils down to is humans focusing so much on earthly concerns like the game of thrones that they forgot what the real danger lies in the heavens (or the North in this instance) and they end up taking their life for granted. I like that about this series because it's such an exquisite reflection of what humanity is like irl, but I digress. This is truly a spectacular story that only promises to get better (unlike some other HBO series I could care to mention). The cast was completely perfectly chosen too.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 18:21   Link #264
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
I think I prefer Arya to do it. She's seriously one of my favorite characters in the series (and if she were older, she'd be the type of girl I'd wanna marry )

That being said, caught up with the series and I have nothing but good things to say about it. What it boils down to is humans focusing so much on earthly concerns like the game of thrones that they forgot what the real danger lies in the heavens (or the North in this instance) and they end up taking their life for granted. I like that about this series because it's such an exquisite reflection of what humanity is like irl, but I digress. This is truly a spectacular story that only promises to get better (unlike some other HBO series I could care to mention). The cast was completely perfectly chosen too.
When you say you want Arya I hope you mean her personality, not her as she is now, loljk

Last edited by TigerII; 2011-06-20 at 20:02.
Old 2011-06-20, 23:40   Link #265
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well that was some fiery and bloody $hit...

So this is how it ends begins? With baby dragons nestled between the ample breasts and vahjayjay of an unburnable blond? What GAME is this?

Overall I'd say this episode was far more subdued than many in the series...It came off as much more of an epilogue, which is fine, but other than the scene of dragons and a$$ most of the ep had this sort of procedural resonance...

Nevertheless Ned Stark's head on a spike was effed up...Logic betrays me to see that jar of beans for brains King Joeffrey die a maddening death, but given the circumstances of his arrival on the scene why would one think he wouldn't be this asinine? Oh not me, King Jackoffrey! Best believe after seeing King's Landings' John Mayer get his tongue pulled from the exotic socket, that retard would have me at bended knee rockin' the sigil^^...Much props to the King's threads though...That burgundy desert-lime half-cloak $hit he was wearing was so cool I almost liked him for 1 second...Then I thought about those heads on a spike, Ned, poor Ned T_T...

Well that was probably the best show I've watched on American TV (With all British People^^) in like forever...So It will be missed sorely...Good news that it comes back in the spring...For an HBO drama of this scale that's all I could have hoped for...

Seeya Tyrion, Bronn, and the foreign whore...No matter what happens next, my coins are with that trio...And even without the coin-purse, Lord Varys is another character that has emerged as a sneaky favorite...More to say, but no more can be said at this moment..Awaiting King North and his wolfskin garments...
Old 2011-06-20, 23:48   Link #266
Nosauz

Best Show on tv? that's proclaiming much, especially with the mediocre soundtrack, the some very formulaic character, joffery for instance, Edard till his untimely death, overall this series is good, but a proclamation of best that American TV has to offer seems a bit over exaggerated, how about The Sopranoes, Breaking Bad, Madmen, and plethora of excelently scripted fair that American TV has to offer. Actually Pacing was a big issue in Game of thrones, in one episode Dani became the victim of rape to the lover of her rapist, unfortunately this just isn't an NTR or rape eroge, the about face just seemed so quick, and unrealistic. I'm just saying that yes the series is good and yes the season finale fit perfectly especially from the reeling action of episode nine, and any scene with tyrion is wonderful, there are just too many things going on and it ends too quickly, in the end the pacing destroys a lot of the subtlety these politcal games require.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 00:08   Link #267
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^ Plethora? Dude ain't $hit on American TV got me as excited as this show...I stand by that...I can compartmentalize stuff like the Dorthraki storyline with the understanding that this is a novel and it having to balance integrity for the source material vs Televised drama plotting and the ills that come with that...But the cast is mostly brilliant with some of my favorite lesser known british actors (Like Aiden Gilliam for instance)...I'm fine with my praise...

Ain't 3 shows out there have been better to me, but I am pickier than most and disregarding CBS as a network, and most of the other procedural network dramas that bore me Game of Thrones has been great...Only FX has shows that can compete right now...So excuse me while I watch another show better than most if not all American dramas called Luther starring Idris Elba...Consider me dropping that into your life a gift^^...
Old 2011-06-21, 00:14   Link #268
Nosauz

Excited about what? What has this show done that transcends all? The characters aren't very compelling, beyond jon snow (not really) tyrion, and that's about it. The writing is flat, the transition between scenes doesn't really add to the expansiveness the books brings, the POV "characters" don't have the same amount of voice as they do in the books. I just don't see how this is some opus, hell most of the fight scenes are terrible, they don't convey the do or die nature of what the books brings, or what the setting requires. As I've said, madmen, Breaking Bad, Justified, and a bunch of other shows are much better written, and much better acted. That's about it, hell when you consider the action from the first episode to the latter episodes it's obvious at the drop off in quality of direction, the fights are overly stylized and don't exude the life or death nature that is living in Westeroes.

Oh i'll also give you little fingers, and the Eunuech, but beyond their politcal games, most of the other characters are rather bland.
Old 2011-06-21, 00:41   Link #269
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I haven't read the books, so in that way they don't exist to me...I'm watching a television show, that to me, has subtlety brought me into an overwrought world of Dragons and Giants, Zombies and 3-eyed Ravens, yet at the same time has cultivated an environment with plausibility and grit, one I haven't found in most medieval dramas...Given the scale of the show, I think HBO has done a wonderful job of capturing the essence of this world without whoring all the fantasy aspects...

I also don't need to watch uber action (I watch Spartacus for that)...Sometimes the atmosphere of fighting and the cinematic techniques to portray these things are enuff...I much rather watch a conversation between Tyrion and Bronn, than Jaime slaying...I appreciate expressionism beyond all else, so the things that bother you mostly groove me...Overly stylizing things we've seen done a million times (basic fighting) in other media impresses me...Again different strokes...

As for transitions, go watch an episode of Treme or the Wire...Not all directors feel the need to weave the audience dot by dot connections as it spins the story...Having read the book, I guess that's tuffer for you, not so much for me I guess...

I'm also a Journalism, English, writer type...So superb dialogue impresses me just as much as Jorah knocking the Bubblicious out of the Horselords mouth with his sword...

No one is claiming Game of Thrones is the greatest story ever told...It's actually a quite simple story (Many of the greatest are), without much complexity, but where there is complexity is in the interaction of it's characters and the burdens they must carry for simply playing their God-given or destined roles...And all this to the backdrop of so much crazy $hit to come...Sorry, you can't take my opinion away from me...Enjoy your shows, this one is better to me...
Old 2011-06-21, 01:28   Link #270
james0246

Are they Zombies? Zombies are not orient driven dangers, they are mindless killing machines. But from what we have briefly seen, these undead creatures seem to have purpose, with goals to accomplish (at least the dead men who attacked the Night Watch had a goal: the Commander), something a Zombie does not have. I do not think these previously dead humans have a "mind" per se, but they seem to be controlled by an external force, something I am reluctant to attribute to a Zombie (voodoo aside, the "modern" zombie is fairly mindless)...

But, I'm probably just nitpicking...

---

As for "best show on American television"...well, I wouldn't go that far, but I will say this is HBO's best show since The Wire (hell, this is HBO's best first season since the first season of The Wire), and I would be more than willing to put it in a Top 10 for the year. The acting throughout was quite good to great with above-average performances for even the most generic characters (i.e. the archetypes and stereotypes). And while pacing was a problem, it was only slight, with the transitions often fully and adequately leading the rather hectic story. As for the action sequences? I had no problems (they fought as I expected anyone wielding a club for a sword would fight). Etc. I could give a detailed break-down of the pros and cons of the series, but honestly it doesn't really matter. Story was very good, characters were fun, acting was great, directing was often very good, and, most importantly, it was very entertaining. 84/100 for the season finale and 86/100 for the season.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 01:37   Link #271
Nosauz

There you, go thats all I wanted, qualify that it is YOUR OPINION, and not some objective criteria that you are claiming "best". Actually there is a lot of complexity to the story then just warring warlords, and kings. And actually the mystical is severly downplayed other than Dani's tale, and the former Targeryn lineage having dragons/old gods of the north. In the end it's a good series, and no each point doesn't have to be woven as some masterful tapestry, it's just a lot of the things in the show don't fit with what the show is trying to convey, the simple notion of Live or die, is a significant concept, Ned's death is foreshadowed due to his inability to understand the complexity of the game, Robert dies, due to his negligence or the game, the way of life in Westeroes, the Targeryn line is dead because they lost focus of the rules of the game, as the title of the show implies. I love cinema, and those blaring contradictions just don't dictate best, and if it's your opinion that's fine. Unfortunately my enthusiasm is tempered due to the lack of melding the qualities of cinema with the story from the books.

PS it makes an ass out of you when you assume, I acutally don't enjoy the combat all that much, I much prefer Theon's self precieved judgements, or Tyrion interacting with his father or others, showing the difference in tone, I enjoy the implications of Joffery's rein, but it doesn't mean I don't like when Khal Drogo rips the tongue out of an insubordination rider, or when Bronn defeats the Knight of the Vale using "cowardly" moves, again these things are not mutually exclusive of the voice the show can bring, unfortunately there are things in the show that muddle that voice and that is what I have the hardest time with when watching.

@James, from what was shown in the first season, they are only zombies in the sense that they are undead, but yes they have "goals" beyond consumption.
Although come to think of it, the first episode points more towards zombie, and the last recent encounter was so short, so you'll have to watch the next season to find out.

Last edited by Nosauz; 2011-06-21 at 01:48.
Old 2011-06-21, 06:19   Link #272
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Are they Zombies? Zombies are not orient driven dangers, they are mindless killing machines. But from what we have briefly seen, these undead creatures seem to have purpose, with goals to accomplish (at least the dead men who attacked the Night Watch had a goal: the Commander), something a Zombie does not have. I do not think these previously dead humans have a "mind" per se, but they seem to be controlled by an external force, something I am reluctant to attribute to a Zombie (voodoo aside, the "modern" zombie is fairly mindless)...

But, I'm probably just nitpicking...
Remember Ep1? They're temporarily revived by the white walkers. It's likely they're capable of a certain form of necromancy.
Old 2011-06-21, 07:05   Link #273
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Excited about what? What has this show done that transcends all? The characters aren't very compelling, beyond jon snow (not really) tyrion, and that's about it. The writing is flat, the transition between scenes doesn't really add to the expansiveness the books brings, the POV "characters" don't have the same amount of voice as they do in the books. I just don't see how this is some opus, hell most of the fight scenes are terrible, they don't convey the do or die nature of what the books brings, or what the setting requires. As I've said, madmen, Breaking Bad, Justified, and a bunch of other shows are much better written, and much better acted. That's about it, hell when you consider the action from the first episode to the latter episodes it's obvious at the drop off in quality of direction, the fights are overly stylized and don't exude the life or death nature that is living in Westeroes.

Oh i'll also give you little fingers, and the Eunuech, but beyond their politcal games, most of the other characters are rather bland.
eh, disagree that john snow is remotely compelling i was actually quite disappointed with kit harrington's acting, though he was decent in the most recent episode.

but i do agree that the show is missing a lot of the political intrigue/small council stuff that made the book just so layered. as for the fight scenes, transitions....budget issues, probably. i'm sure that next season will deliver.

that being said, the show is very good television--not as good as breaking bad but with such a wide cast, i think it did really well. i was very impressed with the child actors.

i have to say that i can do without the roz scenes...
Old 2011-06-21, 07:08   Link #274
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Remember Ep1? They're temporarily revived by the white walkers. It's likely they're capable of a certain form of necromancy.
Eh if you read the books you could say that but from the eaten people, and the "raised" dead, you can't discern if their zombies or not, so if your talking to a strictly Game of thrones viewer, then it would probably safer to say, that we just don't know.
Old 2011-06-21, 09:43   Link #275
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Well that was some fiery and bloody $hit...

So this is how it ends begins? With baby dragons nestled between the ample breasts and vahjayjay of an unburnable blond? What GAME is this?

Overall I'd say this episode was far more subdued than many in the series...It came off as much more of an epilogue, which is fine, but other than the scene of dragons and a$$ most of the ep had this sort of procedural resonance...

Nevertheless Ned Stark's head on a spike was effed up...Logic betrays me to see that jar of beans for brains King Joeffrey die a maddening death, but given the circumstances of his arrival on the scene why would one think he wouldn't be this asinine? Oh not me, King Jackoffrey! Best believe after seeing King's Landings' John Mayer get his tongue pulled from the exotic socket, that retard would have me at bended knee rockin' the sigil^^...Much props to the King's threads though...That burgundy desert-lime half-cloak $hit he was wearing was so cool I almost liked him for 1 second...Then I thought about those heads on a spike, Ned, poor Ned T_T...

Well that was probably the best show I've watched on American TV (With all British People^^) in like forever...So It will be missed sorely...Good news that it comes back in the spring...For an HBO drama of this scale that's all I could have hoped for...

Seeya Tyrion, Bronn, and the foreign whore...No matter what happens next, my coins are with that trio...And even without the coin-purse, Lord Varys is another character that has emerged as a sneaky favorite...More to say, but no more can be said at this moment..Awaiting King North and his wolfskin garments...

The guy who plays Drago is an American. Like the only one. If you have noticed, like over half of all the actors and actresses in US media are either British or Commonwealth. English, Scottish, Irish, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, etc. I mean, some recent movies about Americans in the US have no Americans in the main cast. It really shows in the younger generation. It is like all young American actorwannabes suck.
Old 2011-06-21, 09:52   Link #276
Xagzan

Isn't Peter Dinklage American too?
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 23:41   Link #277
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Mmm was good I thought, the little baby dragons were cute and looked pretty good for TV CGI. Though the actress playing Dany looked really uncomfortable standing there in a field buck naked with 40 or so people staring at her.

Arya off travelling with Yoren, Gendry and co. Should make for some interesting stuff next season. Looking forward to that-guy-whose-name-is-nigh-on-unpronounceable.

On the Others/White Walkers, I don't think they really made a clear distinction in the series that the undead people attacking weren't these Others/Walkers and were actually Wights. I don't think you even see an Other until really late in the 2nd book? But to really understand the Others you need information about the Gods, particularly the Old Gods. Which they may very well gloss over or just mention in passing, if they haven't already.

Quote:
Isn't Peter Dinklage American too?
Born in New Jersey.

Overall I liked the series. I don't usually watch too many TV shows. But I did like this one. It wasn't presented as corny or throw away like most TV fantasy stories are - its like studios think they have the plague or something and it will kill them to put money/talent into the project. Which I think also probably helps with the popularity of this series which helps make it a little more believable since people seem to put in more effort rather then phoning it in, even if it does have dragons, manly men swinging swords, swooning maidens and the scourge.
Old 2011-06-22, 00:42   Link #278
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Eh if you read the books you could say that but from the eaten people, and the "raised" dead, you can't discern if their zombies or not, so if your talking to a strictly Game of thrones viewer, then it would probably safer to say, that we just don't know.
I haven't read the books, but I was still able to figure it out. As James0246 said, they're different from zombies because they have an objective, and with the white walkers practically right next to them and the fact they have the same blue eyes as the undead people, it makes sense to think they're being puppeteered by the walkers.

Anyways, this thread needs more Tyrion

Last edited by Tsuyoshi; 2011-06-22 at 00:55.
Old 2011-06-22, 01:04   Link #279
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
The guy who plays Drago is an American. Like the only one. If you have noticed, like over half of all the actors and actresses in US media are either British or Commonwealth. English, Scottish, Irish, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, etc. I mean, some recent movies about Americans in the US have no Americans in the main cast. It really shows in the younger generation. It is like all young American actorwannabes suck.
It's not really like they suck, (most due like the degrassi kids) but television still has the stigma of less money, less fame, just look, Steve Carrell is moving on from the office, and for the most part once people make the jump to the big screen they never come back, at one time it was near impossible to make the jump from TV to Movies, but now that has changed a bit, but there is still a stigma for being just a tv star.
Old 2011-06-23, 01:42   Link #280
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Now this is just funny.

Kermit the Stark? Game of Thrones Muppet posters are made of Win

Tags
game of thrones, hbo