AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2013-07-27, 14:38   Link #1021
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

As awesome as the recap movies are, the cutting of Madoka's dream was completely glossed over throughout both movies. In the TV show, this played quite an important role, so it's ever more obvious that SHAFT wanted people to watch the show first, then these movies, because people who get introduced to the franchise with these movies might end up wondering why this detail never comes up anymore.

Overall, nothing really changed, aside from some changed or added scenes. The movies were still awesome in their own rights, but they're still recaps, so I could easily watch the show and get the same amount of enjoyment out of it.

The real question is, will the third movie live up to everyone's expectations? SHAFT is taking a very big gamble here and even a tiny bump in the storyline could end up in the movie ending on a bad note. Time will tell, I guess. Will probably have to stay clear of the movie discussions once the third movie is out in the theaters, though...
Old 2013-07-27, 14:43   Link #1022
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
As awesome as the recap movies are, the cutting of Madoka's dream was completely glossed over throughout both movies.
As it should be. If they made a reference to a dream they didn't show in the first place, it would have confused the new viewers who didn't watch the tv series. Besides, that dream wasn't relevant to the plot, since Madoka never really remembered the previews timeline.
Old 2013-07-28, 00:23   Link #1023
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
As it should be. If they made a reference to a dream they didn't show in the first place, it would have confused the new viewers who didn't watch the tv series.
Which is... exactly what they did. Madoka still goes all "OMG I KNOW HER!!!" when Homura first shows up, she still mentions having seen her before in a dream, she still questions whether they've met before during Homura's emotional breakdown from episode 8... Everything relating to the dream was still there... but the actual dream was not. Or, the fight was obviously shown in Homura's flashback in movie 2, but that's it.

EDIT: Also, to lazily copy-paste my thoughts on these movies from a different forum...
Okay, I got the BluRay for these movies yesterday, and I just finished watching the second one. So, slightly disjointed thoughts on the two films...

-Cutting out the opening dream sequence. NOT COOL, GUYS. Really, I distinctly remember being taught that the first scene in any given story should give the audience some idea of what sort of story they're in for. The TV-series did just that. The movie did not.
-New opening sequence is nice, albeit somewhat spoilery. Can't say the song left much of an impression on me though. (Not that Connect did either, mind you.)
-Damn those are some epic transformation-sequences.
-Farewell Mami's characterization, we hardly knew ye.
-I'm sure this was also in the TV-series, but... How did I never notice the way Homura keeps using her powers during her first meeting with Kyouko? I mean, there are several points in this scene where she just abruptly changes locations and I never even took notice of this. Weird.
-Is that a choir-version of Sayaka's theme I hear during her psycho-moment against the Shadowy Christian Witch? Nice...
-Sayaka's brief confrontation with Homura was removed... Somehow that was a scene I hardly ever even took notice of in the TV-series, so I can't say I mind too much.
-Oh my god that witch transformation. Oh sure, the angles and animation and all that don't seem to have any changes that I immediately noticed, but... THAT MUSIC. THAT FRIGGIN' MUSIC YOU GUYS.
-MAGIA FULL VERSION FUCK YEAH.

So this concludes my disjointed feelings on movie 1... It was 8 episodes of the TV-series with roughly two episodes worth of run-time cut out. Considering how it is my opinion that the TV-series is the ultimate example of a perfectly paced story, I can not say I approve much of them doing so, but really, only two missing scenes actually seemed conspicuous in their absence. So, not bad. Though I think I would sooner recommend the series for those missing details.

On to movie 2...
-Nothing worth mentioning for the first 20 minutes or so...
-THAT SCENE AT THE GRAVEYARD. Oh sure, the dialog is taken verbatim from the show, but merely that change of setting did a lot to make it a much more powerful moment. Two thumbs up for that.
-Some pretty awesome transitions during Homura's flashback there. Other than that... Nothing particularly worth mentioning that can't also be said for the TV-series. (Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely fantastic... but it was just as fantastic in the TV-series as it is here.)
-How come they took a scene that had a unique piece of BGM in the TV-series, and then replaced this unique piece of BGM with the same piece that played in the scene immediately prior to it? (Referring to Homura losing to Walpurgis Night BTW) That just strikes me as an exceptionally nonsensical thing to do.
-Wait, this is Madoka's big moment where she makes her wish to Kyubey. Why am I hearing Sayaka's theme?
-Madoka's big "Saving every magical girl ever"-moment is pretty much identical to the show... So why do I suddenly feel as though I'm seeing this for the first time? Them feels, man...
-OH MY GOD THAT FAREWELL-SCENE. OH MY GOD THAT TRANSITION BACK TO THE NEWLY CREATED BETTER WORLD. JUST... OH MY GOD THAT WAS SO PERFECT I HAVE NO WORDS.
-Ooh, remix of Connect with orchestral backing. Nice...
-Kalafina, have I ever mentioned how your presence automatically makes everything better? Though I must say... why is there absolutely no visuals for this ending-sequence? I was hoping for some absolutely beautiful imagery to go with the absolutely beautiful song!
-Preview for the third movie... I am still not convinced that there is merit to there even being a continuation for this story. That said, I will still be in Japan when it comes out in theaters, so of course I'll go see it. But I can't pretend that I'm not somewhat worried.

Well. They just took the ending to what I have long considered to be a perfect series, and made it even better. Excuse me, I have to go buy a hat just so I can tip my hat off to them for how spectacularly amazingly beautiful that all was.
Old 2013-07-28, 11:01   Link #1024
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Which is... exactly what they did. Madoka still goes all "OMG I KNOW HER!!!" when Homura first shows up, she still mentions having seen her before in a dream, she still questions whether they've met before during Homura's emotional breakdown from episode 8... Everything relating to the dream was still there... but the actual dream was not. Or, the fight was obviously shown in Homura's flashback in movie 2, but that's it.
Okay, my mistake, but the dream at the beginning isn't needed anyway, since everything becomes clear when the viewer finally gets to Homura's flashback.

Quote:
Preview for the third movie... I am still not convinced that there is merit to there even being a continuation for this story.

Well, Madoka's story ended. The third movie is probably more like a chance to give Homura's storyline some closure.
Old 2013-07-28, 11:16   Link #1025
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Okay, my mistake, but the dream at the beginning isn't needed anyway, since everything becomes clear when the viewer finally gets to Homura's flashback.
In this version it really doesn't though. Or, okay, the plot itself comes together at that point, but the actual dream-thing is just left hanging as a completely random thread that is just there for a few scenes in reference to something we never saw, and there's nothing in the flashback tying back to it to make the viewer go "Oh, so that's what the dream Madoka mentioned was all about!" either.

Mind you, this is one of exactly two problems I can actually remember with the movie:
1. No opening dream-sequence... which is a problem less due to how they still talk about it later and that makes no sense if one hasn't seen the show (though this also bothers me obviously) and more because it means that the first 10-15 minutes of the movie are just slice-of-life stuff with nothing immediately attention-grabbing. Which I suppose is hardly uncommon in Japanese anime, but come on, the TV-series just handled that initial hook to get viewers curious so well!
2. Oh hello Mami, character whom people who were introduced to the franchise through this movie will know absolutely nothing about because what little development you had got cut!
(Oh, and I think they cut out the scene showing how Kyubey disposes of Grief Seeds when they can't be used any more... but I suppose in the long run this isn't exactly needed for the story to work. It's at worst a tiny loose thread in an otherwise perfectly woven gigantic and extremely intricate carpet, unlikely to even get noticed unless one specifically looks for it.)

Last edited by Vegard Aune; 2013-07-28 at 22:29.
Vegard Aune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 10:11   Link #1026
maximilianjenus
[E]

so is now the time to talk about strategies to avoid mvoei 3 spoilers,or is it still too soon ?
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 15:38   Link #1027
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I found this unboxing video:

Is that tin can with the filmstrip exclusive to some JP stores?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 16:14   Link #1028
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The rubber straps and the film strip are exclusive to the limited edition from Animate and Gamers.
Old 2013-07-29, 19:36   Link #1029
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Well I guess I'm not going to buy it then. The LE is too pricey for little it offers. I've paid less for premium products that were loaded with stuff.
Old 2013-07-29, 19:38   Link #1030
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

It is actually "less expensive" compared to the full TV series BD set. Well its pricing isn't exactly any different compared to other series (well, by JP BD pricing standard, of course).
Old 2013-07-30, 02:35   Link #1031
Vegard Aune

I actually would say these movies were far more reasonably priced than the other anime movies I've bought since coming to Japan. (Evangelion 3.33 and One Piece Film Z, for the record) Then again, that might have something to do with me getting them off Amazon rather than buying them in stores literally charging 100% full retail price... Whereas Amazon had it for 3000 yen less.
Old 2013-07-30, 07:03   Link #1032
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Blu-ray Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 1: Beginnings/Part 2: Eternal (Limited Complete Pressing) 80,053 13/7/24 ANX

Damn Shaft, you rollin in the money.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-31, 08:29   Link #1033
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Movies 1 & 2:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 22:46   Link #1034
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Quote:

EDIT: Also, to lazily copy-paste my thoughts on these movies from a different forum...
Okay, I got the BluRay for these movies yesterday, and I just finished watching the second one. So, slightly disjointed thoughts on the two films...

-Cutting out the opening dream sequence. NOT COOL, GUYS. Really, I distinctly remember being taught that the first scene in any given story should give the audience some idea of what sort of story they're in for. The TV-series did just that. The movie did not.
-New opening sequence is nice, albeit somewhat spoilery. Can't say the song left much of an impression on me though. (Not that Connect did either, mind you.)
-Damn those are some epic transformation-sequences.
-Farewell Mami's characterization, we hardly knew ye.
-I'm sure this was also in the TV-series, but... How did I never notice the way Homura keeps using her powers during her first meeting with Kyouko? I mean, there are several points in this scene where she just abruptly changes locations and I never even took notice of this. Weird.
-Is that a choir-version of Sayaka's theme I hear during her psycho-moment against the Shadowy Christian Witch? Nice...
-Sayaka's brief confrontation with Homura was removed... Somehow that was a scene I hardly ever even took notice of in the TV-series, so I can't say I mind too much.
-Oh my god that witch transformation. Oh sure, the angles and animation and all that don't seem to have any changes that I immediately noticed, but... THAT MUSIC. THAT FRIGGIN' MUSIC YOU GUYS.
-MAGIA FULL VERSION FUCK YEAH.

So this concludes my disjointed feelings on movie 1... It was 8 episodes of the TV-series with roughly two episodes worth of run-time cut out. Considering how it is my opinion that the TV-series is the ultimate example of a perfectly paced story, I can not say I approve much of them doing so, but really, only two missing scenes actually seemed conspicuous in their absence. So, not bad. Though I think I would sooner recommend the series for those missing details.

On to movie 2...
-Nothing worth mentioning for the first 20 minutes or so...
-THAT SCENE AT THE GRAVEYARD. Oh sure, the dialog is taken verbatim from the show, but merely that change of setting did a lot to make it a much more powerful moment. Two thumbs up for that.
-Some pretty awesome transitions during Homura's flashback there. Other than that... Nothing particularly worth mentioning that can't also be said for the TV-series. (Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely fantastic... but it was just as fantastic in the TV-series as it is here.)
-How come they took a scene that had a unique piece of BGM in the TV-series, and then replaced this unique piece of BGM with the same piece that played in the scene immediately prior to it? (Referring to Homura losing to Walpurgis Night BTW) That just strikes me as an exceptionally nonsensical thing to do.
-Wait, this is Madoka's big moment where she makes her wish to Kyubey. Why am I hearing Sayaka's theme?
-Madoka's big "Saving every magical girl ever"-moment is pretty much identical to the show... So why do I suddenly feel as though I'm seeing this for the first time? Them feels, man...
-OH MY GOD THAT FAREWELL-SCENE. OH MY GOD THAT TRANSITION BACK TO THE NEWLY CREATED BETTER WORLD. JUST... OH MY GOD THAT WAS SO PERFECT I HAVE NO WORDS.
-Ooh, remix of Connect with orchestral backing. Nice...
-Kalafina, have I ever mentioned how your presence automatically makes everything better? Though I must say... why is there absolutely no visuals for this ending-sequence? I was hoping for some absolutely beautiful imagery to go with the absolutely beautiful song!
-Preview for the third movie... I am still not convinced that there is merit to there even being a continuation for this story. That said, I will still be in Japan when it comes out in theaters, so of course I'll go see it. But I can't pretend that I'm not somewhat worried.

Well. They just took the ending to what I have long considered to be a perfect series, and made it even better. Excuse me, I have to go buy a hat just so I can tip my hat off to them for how spectacularly amazingly beautiful that all was.
Man, I just finished watching both movies in one sitting and I was blown away by the animation and the freaking music! Those added new tunes throughout the movie was very well done. I really like the ED theme for the first movie a lot, it just blended in well. Everything was piece together very well while I do feel like the second half fell short on some parts. I like to point out some few things:

-The part where Homura went back to the actual timeline near the end of the movie, the original OP theme played. Why? It was unnecessary and kinda ruin the flow right there.
-Why did they change the music where Homura almost lost to the Walpurgis at the end? They turn something dramatic into something that is no longer important. That scene was very emotional for me, but now I couldn't experience it in the movie version.
-I kinda like that they skipped the original intro with Homura, but then it would not have been cool for someone watching it for the first time
-It feels like Mami didn't developed well in the movie, but nice work on the music during her final fight scene. That was just epic.
-They made some of the fights very bloody, crazy.
-Sayaka's transformation to a witch...WOW!

I can't believe they took a mid-budget TV show and turned it into a beautiful work of art. The animation greatly improved over the revisions. This is like Star Wars special edition done right. It's going to be hard going back to the TV versions.

The third movie looks promising, I hope Shaft does real magic on this one. They could either destroy the series or make it into a masterpiece.
Old 2013-12-04, 19:08   Link #1035
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Watched the first movie a few weeks ago.

I liked Madoka Magica more than I did a couple of year ago when I watched it. Kyouko was my fav around the same time as when the movie ended ,but it changed to Homura around the end for obvious reasons.

I also didn't think of Madoka and Sayaka was crappy characters. Dunno why I hated them years ago .

I'll watch the second movie once the third comes out.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-12, 14:39   Link #1036
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
damn the third movie was just plain depressing. Seems it was never meant to be
Old 2013-12-15, 03:43   Link #1037
00Coyote

PMM Rebellion

After much trouble, and a lot of driving, I finally got to see the 3rd movie.

Was it worth the trouble? In a word ... Mostly.

In more words, it wasn't the ending I wanted. In fact it wasn't an ending at all. I would have preferred a story to wrap the series up nice and neat, "and they lived happily ever after." But money talks, and milking a franchise is like crack cocaine to any IP holding entity, so we get this convoluted, stretched out, 'to be continued' thing.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie, and the direction the story could take has some merit. I'm highly concerned that the milking will turn this into a never ending 'to be continued' monstrosity without closure, completion or eventually, entertainment.

I get the sense that this 3rd movie was completed, they watched it, decided it was lacking in 'oomph' and re-worked the whole thing, ballooning the front end, and tacking on more at the tail to make sure there is a tie-in for more CHA-CHING! down the road.

Put another way, the first series was a lean mean story-centric machine. The 3rd movie is wide, fluffy and loosely connected set of character vignettes.

I'll leave my breakdown of the mechanics of the storytelling, and apraisal of production to a later time, after I can get the movie in front of me and can really examine it.

Now on to my first impressions of this brave new story for Madoka Magica, not specifically a review, definitely not a summary, but thoughts that linger after the 4 hour drive home.
Spoiler for The Incubator's Chernobyl:
Spoiler for The incompatible wishes of the soulmates:
Spoiler for The last heartbreak of Akemi Homura:

Spoiler for Law of the Wheel, to the EXTREEEME!!1!:

Spoiler for Other Random Observations:
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-16, 12:48   Link #1038
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

I feel this can be the ending, but not one I would want.

Spoiler for Third movie ending:
Old 2013-12-16, 12:58   Link #1039
Homucifer
Banned

Madoka needs to be saved first and be a human
Homucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 11:36   Link #1040
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Saw the third film...

Homu went full stalker at last XDD

One thing though...her world doesn't seem all that bad actually. Witches aren't actually born anymore right? Seems that her world other than the still lingering presence of Majuu is actually....normal. It's just she's a max level masochistic stalker at the moment. Not even malicious per se.

Also. Incubators managed to hit a whole new level of annoying. Never thought it would be possible but damn....Felt like throwing something at the theatre screen whenever they appeared..

Kyouko's transformation sequence and BGM was epicly delishus. And Misterioso >>> Magia

Sayaka replacing Kamijyo with Kyouko....It finally happened too lolol

Tags
madoka magica, movie