AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2012-01-08, 04:02   Link #4041
sergel02

^ i totally wanted to say something about your last sentence but i must resist spoiling people. Grrrrr. Must. Resist.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 04:06   Link #4042
Albafica
Pisces no saint

This episode was really good. The soundtrack was INCREDIBLE.

Too bad, Cana just look pitiful. Mashima wasn't cool with her. Because in this episode, Cana was just E P I C until she failed against Blue Note. Everything was awesome: the flashback, the emotion, the music, the resolution.
When she went to Lucy's place, the music was epic, it was like Cana would beat everyone, she would carry Fairy Tail. The music was f*cking splendid... when everyone says "CANA"!

Well now we have Gildartz but I'm a bit disapointed about what Mashima did for Cana .
Old 2012-01-08, 04:18   Link #4043
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Heh, if Gajeel can become a member of Fairy Tail, there's no way that they'll forbid Cana from taking the exam again - if she wants to.

And to answer your question, Randrak, about if Igneel were at the grave, would Natsu had taken off - I believe he would have. Igneel trumps almost everything to Natsu. Just like Ur does to Grey, Layla to Lucy, and hell, Jellal to Erza. Most of these things have been reconciled by the characters already so if they met the same situation now, it wouldn't be nearly as dramatic as the first time.

Everyone's got that one thing where they will make decisions that they normally would not have, say things they would not normally say, and do things that would leave their friends going "WTF!?" It's not a Berzerker Button but you get my meaning - it just so happens that this was it for Cana - and it was during a really bad time

And just some quick highlights/points:

Cana's already resigned that she'll face some sort of punishment for her behavior. In fact, I'm pretty sure that she'll accept banishment for what she did - she named her actions as being traitorous so she'd be expecting the full brunt of the guild law to be brought down on her.

I didn't mean for what I said to be interpreted that Bluenote knocking her around a bit was the 'punishment' she was expecting or that was deserved for what she did.

And as for the 'show of tears and regret'...apparently it was good enough for a dead person to give her a second chance, no sarcasm intended. The entire ordeal isn't over so there's still time, when things quiet down, for this to be properly addressed (well as properly as it can be for Fairy Tail). I'd just hate for a character like Cana to be completely written off because of it.
Old 2012-01-08, 05:36   Link #4044
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
But all of you are missing a point (or maybe haven't, i don't feel like reading so much text 0.O), but if Cana never left them in the first place then she would have never been able to come and save them from Bluenotes. If she was with the group from the start she would have died with everyone else. Guildarts just barely saved Cana; if she hadn't fought Blue then he probably would have killed someone before Guildarts made it.
That's a crazy stupid excuse that I was hoping nobody would point out. We could play with Chaos Theory all we want "If this didn't happen then that wouldn't have happen and that other thing wouldn't have happen either" but it does not excuse Cana in any way. Rather, Mashima could have easily just made Gild return...sooner. We had no idea where Gild was by that point so he could realistically make his epic return at any time and everyone would still cheer. It's a manga/anime had Cana stayed with the group, she could have been with the group getting bashed by Bluenote, have some moment where she shines a bit only to be taken down by Bluenote and Gild pops in. It could have all played out exactly the same way, only without Cana betraying her friend and the guild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Fairy Glitter = Galactic donuts! It's even more literal than Gotenks' version, coz this one comes from space

IMO the appropriate thing to do would be to postpone any judgement on her until the war is over, and then forbid her to take the S-class exam ever again.
That would be an appropriate punishment...but this is FT...really think she'll get any punishment at all?
Plus...all that needs happen is Cana gaining enough courage to tell Gild and then what? She can't take an S-class exam ever again, but then again she both doesn't need to any longer and doesn't have the power to. So it's not that big a punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Heh, if Gajeel can become a member of Fairy Tail, there's no way that they'll forbid Cana from taking the exam again - if she wants to.
Gajeel is kind of a special case. He joined Fairy Tail at Juvia's request, not his own and even now he is not trusted by Makarov, Erza and possibly more people in the guild. He already received a hell of a beating and humiliation from Natsu and now even though he's in the guild and is strong enough to get a shot, he is denied an S-class exam because he is not yet trusted.
In a way, Gajeel has received the most punishment of all current FT members for his actions.

Quote:
And to answer your question, Randrak, about if Igneel were at the grave, would Natsu had taken off - I believe he would have. Igneel trumps almost everything to Natsu. Just like Ur does to Grey, Layla to Lucy, and hell, Jellal to Erza. Most of these things have been reconciled by the characters already so if they met the same situation now, it wouldn't be nearly as dramatic as the first time.

Everyone's got that one thing where they will make decisions that they normally would not have, say things they would not normally say, and do things that would leave their friends going "WTF!?" It's not a Berzerker Button but you get my meaning - it just so happens that this was it for Cana - and it was during a really bad time
Natsu...the most "patriotic" guild member we've seen so far?
I highly doubt any of the characters I've mentioned (except Happy but he's too cool for drama) would actually leave a friend that could possibly get killed in order to go find what they are looking for.
We've seen Cana be plenty "patriotic" toward the guild as well, which is why to me, what she did was the biggest betrayal ever in the series...and totally out of character.

Quote:
And just some quick highlights/points:

Cana's already resigned that she'll face some sort of punishment for her behavior. In fact, I'm pretty sure that she'll accept banishment for what she did - she named her actions as being traitorous so she'd be expecting the full brunt of the guild law to be brought down on her.
Resigning herself to face punishment doesn't matter if she doesn't get any...this is more of a "Y U do this Mashima?" rather than Cana hate.

Quote:
And as for the 'show of tears and regret'...apparently it was good enough for a dead person to give her a second chance, no sarcasm intended. The entire ordeal isn't over so there's still time, when things quiet down, for this to be properly addressed (well as properly as it can be for Fairy Tail). I'd just hate for a character like Cana to be completely written off because of it.
You are missing the point, like I said before, I don't forgive a character just because another character does. Especially not a goody goody holier than a saint like what Mavis looks like...and especially not one created by Mashima how tosses out forgiveness like he tosses out candy at Halloween (I know Japan...but you get the point...)
Like I said before many times, I PERSONALLY don't forgive Cana as I would not easily forgive anyone that did what she did to me or someone I know. It's a personal thing, I simply can't bare to like Cana anymore. To me her character is broken beyond repair and the more I see characters pass it all off like nothing happen and Cana not receive any punishment...hell even get rewarded...the more broken the whole thing is.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love Cana, I wanted more Cana, I wanted Cana to at least get as much exposition as Elfman has gotten...Mashima had a great start with that this arc and I was super excited, but then he crashed and burned and ruined one of my favorite characters.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 05:37   Link #4045
ookamigirl

Finally we get to know what was bothering Cana all this time..
She was pretty amazing in this episode.
I'm so happy for Cana. She finally got some power.
Awesome episode!

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 06:24   Link #4046
ShiroiRyu

And in same time ...
WOWOWOW ! Loved the OP ...
Old 2012-01-08, 06:35   Link #4047
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
"Y U do this Mashima?"
This is pretty much what it boils down to for me. As fanatical as I am about FT, Hiro didn't handle Cana's story very well.

Other than that, I loved Lucy's card crying "help".
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 10:12   Link #4048
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I will say this:

ALL of us have done stupid things (and if you feel you haven't, just wait). And I'm sure ALL of us wanted forgiveness for it, when we realized what we did was wrong.

To err is human, to forgive, divine.

And I suppose that's the end of what I'll say in regards to Cana.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 10:27   Link #4049
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I will say this:

ALL of us have done stupid things (and if you feel you haven't, just wait). And I'm sure ALL of us wanted forgiveness for it, when we realized what we did was wrong.

To err is human, to forgive, divine.

And I suppose that's the end of what I'll say in regards to Cana.
I never debated that we all make mistakes and that Cana regrets it.
However there are mistakes and there are unforgivable actions. I know this is a "your mileage may vary" type of thing as I, for example, don't forgive betrayal easily. Showing regret is not enough for me and getting away with it as if nothing happened is even worst.

This is why I've been saying all along that the character is ruined FOR ME, not that it was ruined for everyone else. To each their own! I know full well that other people love Cana and loved this development, I didn't. I don't get why a debate is needed on a matter of personal opinions. I'm NOT trying to make other people hate Cana in any way, shape or form...I was merely stating why I have come to hate Cana.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 15:09   Link #4050
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

We're all allowed our own opinions, so i don't see what's wrong here. People are allowed to like Cana and same goes for dislike.

I'm not saying her development in this weeks episode is A+, i just love how it's pulled off. Music placement being a huge part of while i adore this episode. Going above the manga here in my opinion.
Old 2012-01-08, 17:32   Link #4051
sergel02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
That's a crazy stupid excuse that I was hoping nobody would point out. We could play with Chaos Theory all we want "If this didn't happen then that wouldn't have happen and that other thing wouldn't have happen either" but it does not excuse Cana in any way. Rather, Mashima could have easily just made Gild return...sooner. We had no idea where Gild was by that point so he could realistically make his epic return at any time and everyone would still cheer. It's a manga/anime had Cana stayed with the group, she could have been with the group getting bashed by Bluenote, have some moment where she shines a bit only to be taken down by Bluenote and Gild pops in. It could have all played out exactly the same way, only without Cana betraying her friend and the guild.

Its not that stupid , at least not any more than your reason, considering how the story went. He could have written it a million different ways. It could have been done without her betrayal, but I'm going off what was given to us in the plot.

Anyway, i guess i don't see what she did as a big deal personally. Its not like she ratted them out or killed anyone.
Old 2012-01-08, 17:57   Link #4052
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Oi oi let the Cana issue drop now... there's nothimg more to be said on it. Its a matter of personal taste and I'd prefer we keep anything from getting too personal. Lets just leave it as is.

I might not agree with Randrake's pov on the matter, but hey, that's how it is. Besides, we are all looking forward to Gildarts.
Old 2012-01-08, 20:09   Link #4053
Casshern

Maybe it's time for Cana to get her own thread
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 13:12   Link #4054
sergel02

^ I know I've been wanting one for a while too
Old 2012-01-10, 08:30   Link #4055
haegar
mangaviking

*epic gildartz is epic*

that's all folks
Old 2012-01-13, 00:18   Link #4056
sergel02

So I'm watching the dub and on episode 33. Liking it so far, but there is one thing that kinda sounds weird for me

Spoiler:
Old 2012-01-13, 05:48   Link #4057
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
So I'm watching the dub and on episode 33. Liking it so far, but there is one thing that kinda sounds weird for me

Spoiler:
That's sad but honestly do you remember any english-speaking characters who do that? I think it might came out a bit too weird on the English language... or it would made her look like a soccer player
Old 2012-01-13, 05:56   Link #4058
immblueversion

Can any of you believe that Funimation actually made Fairy Law MORE epic in English? Cuz that's what they did. They made Fairy Law more epic.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 10:33   Link #4059
Krono

Quote:

Spoiler:
Are you watching the Animax dub, or the Funimation dub? To my knowledge, no Funimation dub episodes past 24 are available yet.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 15:02   Link #4060
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Are you watching the Animax dub, or the Funimation dub? To my knowledge, no Funimation dub episodes past 24 are available yet.
You clearly have not heard that there are people who got their Part 3 DVDs early by preordering on RightStuf.

Besides, if we were talking about the Animax dub, people wouldn't find the fact that Juvia doesn't refer to herself in third-person weird, because she does do that in that dub. They would instead focus their attention on why the hell Juvia is talking with a French accent.

That said, Juvia may only say her own name as a pronoun only once or twice in the Funi dub, which does admittedly sound weird and maybe even out of her character, but Brina Palencia makes up for it by opening a whole other can of Shakespearean awesomeness that rivals Mai Nakahara on a different level.

Spoiler for Epic quote:

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen