AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-12-30, 21:01   Link #1
DaFool
Resident devil

Doujin turned Professional?

Hello I am hoping this won't become a listings thread but will instead be very informative by pooling together information from different sources.

I am aware that Gainax is an anime company that was started by anime fans in the eighties. Since then, though they are still plagued by crappy endings, low budget and general weirdness, they are a respected animation company along with the rest in the anime industry.

Type-Moon I believe is a game company founded by game fans, (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have too many details). Now from what I've read about their games, Tsukihime seems to be still when they were in the amateur stage, but Fate Stay Night is already professional quality.

Just wondering what other companies you know started out as "by fans for fans". Now better examples can be found in the manga scene, but since anime and video games are many more times more complicated to produce, I am primarily curious at how many have actually achieved professional level in these fields.

On the north american front, I have recently been made aware of independent western "anime studios" that have made stuff for conventions and such, such as Dementia 7 Studios (D7 Peacemaker) and Terence Walker (Understanding Chaos). Though these impress me, it would be a long time before I can call them "professional grade". Heck, even Makoto Shinkai is still regarded as an amateur. So along this line, what, in your opinion, makes 'professional'?
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 21:21   Link #2
Thelastguardian

ADV was started by anime fans to (hehehe) make money so that they could produce a live-action Eva movie .
Old 2004-12-31, 04:10   Link #3
hooliganj
Team Player

CLAMP is probably the most famous example of an amateur fan group that reached the top of the profession. Really, though, most artists start off as amateurs. The ones that got recognition that early on are only more likely to do well as they advance in the field.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 05:02   Link #4
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
ADV was started by anime fans to (hehehe) make money so that they could produce a live-action Eva movie .
Yup yup.
Those guys were fansubbers back then. (Subbing and distroing those old VHS ones)
Now, it seems like they want any form of fansubbing to stop.

Master Ran
Master Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 06:30   Link #5
project myu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
I can't believe I begged my dad to get me the whole Evangelion series on VHS. That cost over $300 and a couple years later, DVD technology appeared. I feel retarded about wasting my dad's money like that.

project myu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 11:23   Link #6
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

All manga artist started out as drawing Doujinshiin order to get a cult following as a start for their fanbase.

Ken Akamatsu started out drawing H Doujinshi (You can still find those online, especially that FF7 Xmas one.) before going on to develope LH and now Negima.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 12:02   Link #7
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

yup, almost all mangakas started out by drawing doujinshin, and lots of the anime producers too, like those behind Macross...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 02:38   Link #8
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I remeber seeing Haibane Renmei was based on a doujinshi work of Yoshitoshi ABe's. I'm not sure if I know anymore other than what was mentioned.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote