AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-11-23, 06:48   Link #81
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@kyonuchi

Okay. Yes, it can be done - I used to do this myself on a 400mhz G3 iMac with 320 MB RAM and OSX 10.2 - a few years ago now! You need a couple of pieces of (free) software, and there are a few caveats.

Firstly, you need to download the 3ivX codec for MacOSX. Just download and install it in the appropriate place - /Library/Quicktime/ or ~/Library/Quicktime/. Now, QuickTime has the ability to play XviD, DivX and 3ivX encoded files. This is a good thing - if you download a fansub now and open it in the QuickTime Player, it will play... but very slowly and jerkily, almost guaranteed.

Next therefore, you need to download DivX Doctor II, and once you have it, you require a chunk of hard disk space. What DivX Doctor does, when configured, is take your XviD/DivX .avi file, decodes the audio, fixes the video and spits out a QuickTime-capable .mov file with that you can now play, as long as you've installed the 3ivX codec as mentioned above. The caveat here is that you require a fair bit of HDD space for this to work - a 175MB XviD fansub, for instance, could end up as a 300-400MB file when you've processed it... and you require about double that in free scratch space.

But caveats aside, this will let you watch .avi fansubs on your mac, unless they're a hybrid x264/avi file (which are quite rare). You might find there is some slight slowdown, but it should be doable - assuming you're running a relatively new version of the MacOS (10.3 +) and have QuickTime 6 or higher, it should work just fine... well, as best as it can anyway!

Now, if you're running OS9 (is anyone?) still, don't despair - DivX Doctor II and the 3ivX codec are OS9 compatible as well, so you can still give this method a shot. Might not be quite as efficient (it's been, shall we say, a little while since I last tried!) but you never know your luck. But if you are running OSX, the 3ivX/DivX Doctor method is definitely your best bet.

As to downloading fansubs over dialup, yes, that's quite feasible too. I used to do that myself until only a year ago, as I am in one of those wonderful spaces where broadband is completely unavailable - or at least it was instead I managed to subscribe to a radio broadband service. It takes a while, about 10-12 hours, at full speed on dialup per episode from memory, but it can indeed be done

So yes - give 3ivX and DivX Doctor II a go. The programs mentioned in this thread (MPlayer, VLC etc) aren't really for you unfortunately - the version of MPlayer floating around by me kinda requires Altivec to work properly, though you could try VLC, it has some nice legacy support if you want to give it a shot. Does require more processor power than the method I've detailed here though.

At any rate - good luck! What you want to do isn't impossible, just a tad irritating (it'll take about 10-15 minutes to convert each episode after downloading... but if you're willing to do it over dialup, I'm guessing another 20 minuters or so won't matter!), but it can definitely be done - after all, before I bought my PowerBook, I used to do it ^^

-Andiyar
Old 2006-11-23, 15:22   Link #82
Yuvi
Alternative User

Heh, this talk of ancient Macs actually got me to dig out my old 500 MHz iBook, mainly because I was curious exactly how well Perian worked on G3s. And it turns out it works quite a bit better on that old G3 than DivX, 3ivx, or VLC (it was actually close to playing Ayu's The Third w/out framedrops, and had no trouble with some older fansubs.) MPlayer might beat it since it isn't limited by QuickTime's OpenGL rendering implementation (which seemingly can't send planar YUV 4:2:0 data to the GPU, instead needing a conversion to packed 4:2:2 in CPU), but neither the official pre-8 build nor Andiyar's build worked whatsoever, and my interest isn't enough to try compiling it myself on such a slow machine.

Also, speaking of OS 9 compatibility, DivX 5.1.1 was the last version of DivX to work on OS 9, and could open AVIs directly w/out DivX doctor. Of course, that version pre-dated XviD support (though 3ivx should handle that) and isn't officially offered anymore...
Old 2006-11-23, 19:42   Link #83
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Yuvi

That's interesting actually - Perian completely slipped my mind when I wrote that. I'll have to download it onto the old iMac (still ticking along as a word processing machine) and give it a go. Will be interesting to see how it does, though I can't say I'm highly hopeful ^^

As to MPlayer, yes, I thought it wouldn't - as I mentioned, my version requires AltiVec, so a G4/G5 processor is required. Possibly the pre-8 official build needs AltiVec too, though I really don't know. I suppose I could install Xcode on my old G3 and recompile MPlayer for the G3 platform... but honestly, if Perian and VLC are working nicely, I can't see much of a return - it's doubtful there are that many people still using it, and the primary benefits of mine and newer MPlayer builds over VLC/Perian is the nice MKV/SSA support anyway.

As to DivX 5.1.1 - I remember trying that back in the day, before just shrugging and continuing with 3ivX - XviD was kinda required for me. Still, interesting to look back, isn't it? ^^

-Andiyar
Old 2006-11-25, 03:34   Link #84
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Oh yah I completely forgot about 3ivX and DivX doctor, it's been quite a while since I had to use either of those.
@Yuvi: I do remember being able to play .avi's directly with out DivX doctor, but it had a terrible video-audio sync problem as I recall...
@andiyar: I don't remember the .mov files that DivX doctor spat out being that much bigger than the original file.

This has got me interested in older playback issues. I might just try seeing what I can get to playback on my Dual 866 G4 running 10.2.8 and my 333 G3 iMac running 8.6 later this weekend...
Old 2006-11-25, 13:24   Link #85
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

I just tried out this Mplayer build here, it crashes every time, even on normal, non-softsub AVI files. I'm running a Mac Pro w/ OS X 10.4.8.
Old 2006-11-25, 14:34   Link #86
ichobi

Hi Killmoms, if you use Mac pro, this build is not gonna work or is it? I thought this andiyar's special build is only for PPC....

By the way, I ocassionally experincea a dramatic frame drop during the fast-pace scence in the x264/mkv file ie, Code Geass. Is this solely because my incompetence manchine? ibook G4 1.2Ghz , 768mb ram. Even i try close all applications running , that doesnt help much either.

ah, I use this mplayer special buid.
Old 2006-11-25, 20:17   Link #87
iamtetsuo
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
I just tried out this Mplayer build here, it crashes every time, even on normal, non-softsub AVI files. I'm running a Mac Pro w/ OS X 10.4.8.
Use the Intel build available from the spoiler in the first post.
Old 2006-11-26, 02:12   Link #88
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@iamtetsuo

Actually, they are. I performed one for the test detailed below, a 175MB file blew up to a 390MB file after running through DivX Doctor. Big change!

@ killmoms

As ichobi pointed out, the build referenced to me is a PPC-only compile of MPlayer. The Intel-specific compile is also linked in the first post in this thread by iamtetsuo, compiled by thr. It should work fine on your Mac Pro.

@ ichobi

Sadly, that's your iBook just being a bit old, my friend. The processor more than anything, it's difficult to run h.264 video at all on a G4-based mac unless it's a 1.5Ghz or higher, unless it's a Quicktime-compatible file, and even then, it's ugly. I'm on a similar configuration here - 1.33Ghz/768MB PowerBook - and I don't tend to use h.264 encodes as it just drops too much.

Oh, and for interest's sake, I've just installed Perian 0.5 onto my aforementioned 400 Mhz G3 iMac running 10.4.8. Trialled the first episode of Kanon by SS-Eclipse as a test file in two flavours - the downloaded XviD/MP3 version, and a recompressed 3ivX file. The two files were 175MB and 389.6MB in size respectively, and are encoded at 24fps. Testing was done using both Perian 0.5, and 3ivX Delta 4.5.1.

Firstly I tried the XviD file - motion, of almost any kind, resulted in a rather obvious performance hit, taking about 5fps off the framerate. High motion scenes, such as the snow/OP themes in the first ep of Kanon, were pure murder - the scenes with snow dropped down to around 12fps, with the OP fluctuating from brief moments of 18-19fps at the high end down to 0.5fps when quick motion was present. So, despite the power of Perian, the XviD file wasn't going to be an option.

Next the 3ivX file - started off a lot better, remaining solid at 23-24fps before the first snow scene - had a drop here to around 18-19fps, which is watchable still, and nothing like the 12fps of the XviD file. Then the OP started, and the 'die G3 die' process repeated, though nowhere near as badly. Most of the OP played between 10 & 24fps, but the really fast cuts sank down to around 5fps, which I suppose is a bit better than the total stoppage the XviD experienced at these points.

Interesting result, I suppose. It seems that a new show, with fast motion is killer even in the handy old 3ivX/DivX DoctorII method. Shows with less motion, and especially less detail might fare a bit better, but for the moment it appears that the older G3-based machines aren't quite up-to-scratch in terms of fansub playback.

But then as always, your mileage may vary.

-Andiyar
Old 2006-11-26, 14:41   Link #89
ichobi

Thanks Andiyar, I guess it's about time to go core2duo...
h264 is a real old chip killer.

PPC cpu is very very very medieval. I cant believe i bought this thing just about 2 years ago....
Old 2006-11-26, 20:34   Link #90
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Actually the old PPC Macs aren't really that bad. It's just that lots of the time-critical functions in both XviD and libavcodec (MPlayer's decoding library for both ASP and H.264/AVC) is written in heavily optimized assembly code... but not for PPC - for x86 with MMX/SSE. Which means that when used on a PPC architecture, it has to use the plain C code paths, which in some cases can be orders of magnitude slower.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-11-27, 07:14   Link #91
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

So Mplayer's site now claims that 1.0rc1 source is now up, and not only is it up, but the frontpage claims "big speedup" in Vorbis and H264. Has anyone built from the current source on a PPC Mac so that this claim can be verified?
Old 2006-11-27, 09:13   Link #92
TheFluff

As mentioned above, 90% of the "speedup" is because of more optimized x86 assembler. Which doesn't work on PPC Macs. I doubt there is any significant speedup on PPC if there is any at all...
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-11-27, 15:25   Link #93
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
As mentioned above, 90% of the "speedup" is because of more optimized x86 assembler. Which doesn't work on PPC Macs. I doubt there is any significant speedup on PPC if there is any at all...
Bah, how sad. Just as well, I suppose... I tried building mplayer this morning, but I got an error about separators of some kind when I used the make command. I figured out this means the makefile is missing tabs somewhere or another where it should have them, but there's no way I'm going through 400 lines to look for errors that small.
Old 2006-11-27, 19:40   Link #94
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Discerptor

Yes, 1.0rc1's been out nearly a month now I think. The current version I'm hosting is actually 'newer' now than RC1, I recompiled it a week or so later from SVN. I might try doing a more 'official' compile from the RC1 source, as my current habit of recompiling MPlayer every week or so isn't being happy with the SVN versions.

But then, as the Fluff said, not much faster on PPC sadly. It is sad; the PPC has some nice things going for it. Ah well - evolution.

-Andiyar
Old 2006-11-28, 02:46   Link #95
TheFluff

Indeed, PPC in itself is certainly nothing to sneeze at. The PS3's CPU is a PPC-based one, for example.

Old 2006-11-30, 03:02   Link #96
Daver

Hi, I'm using a Macbook Pro and trying to use the intel version from this thread however it crashes whenever I try to load any video. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
Old 2006-11-30, 14:21   Link #97
iamtetsuo
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Hi, I'm using a Macbook Pro and trying to use the intel version from this thread however it crashes whenever I try to load any video. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
Have you installed X11 yet?
Old 2006-11-30, 20:52   Link #98
Daver

Yep I installed X11 and the update as well. If I download the one from www.mplayerhq.hu it works fine. Ah nevermind I downloaded the non intel one and it works now so I'm not sure what's going on.
Old 2006-12-02, 01:10   Link #99
iamtetsuo
*Fansubber

Hmm perhaps the Intel build doesn't like the new version of X11? I don't know as I don't have an Intel Mac yet...
Old 2006-12-04, 11:58   Link #100
Niji

Andiyar, thanks alot for posting your build of MPlayer for PPC, and even keeping it uptodate!

Now, I have a lil problem, though. Since I installed this build, the sound is totally off. EPs that were ok before, are unwatchable now.

Edit: to be precise, video is slower than the audio. And to be even more precise, the same happens when I DL the mplayer from the original place (www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html). So it is not your build, but the original mplayer, that causes problems, I guess.

I have a 500MHz Titanium PB, 1 GB RAM, OSX 10.4.8.

Edit2: It works now. I tried to install older mplayers, until nothing worked at all. Then I just installed Andiyar's build over everything again, and lo and behold, it works. I am not entirely sure why, but I *think* it might be because the prefs were installed freshly, so the "drop frames on slower machines" was unchecked. I had to recheck it somewhere in the process.

I leave this message in, in case someone else has the same problem.

Last edited by Niji; 2006-12-05 at 07:11.

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate