AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-21, 12:29   Link #2021
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That's exactly the kind of issue I would've imagined being addressed if he were there. I'm not expecting him to make any grand gestures he probably can't keep. But I would've thought it important to address where he stands at the moment, given that Kurapika had bonded closer to him as friends, rather than leave it as the elephant in the room. This isn't the type of story I imagined was dictated by power levels.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 12:41   Link #2022
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That's exactly the kind of issue I would've imagined being addressed if he were there. I'm not expecting him to make any grand gestures he probably can't keep. But I would've thought it important to address where he stands at the moment, given that Kurapika had bonded closer to him as friends, rather than leave it as the elephant in the room. This isn't the type of story I imagined was dictated by power levels.
It's because Leorio himself was not met before the call was made. You can obviously expect him to give his own contribution, though obviously it probably will not be in direct combat.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 12:45   Link #2023
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
It's because Leorio himself was not met before the call was made.
Yeah but I think the story could have quite easily solved that problem so it feels more like he's being intentionally shafted, rather than a simple result of circumstances.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 14:43   Link #2024
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
Oh yea...chrollo never tell the condition neede to use his ability isn't it? He supposed already tell it right?
There's a couple of conditions that need to be met before he can steal an ability. I'd elaborate a bit more but I think I'll wait a few more episodes. Then I or someone else will probably explain in more detail if the series doesn't.

At the very least, Zeno has already explained the condition for USING a stolen ability. To use it, he has to summon this book and turn the page to the ability he wants to use. He must keep touching the book, and the book needs to stay open and on that page.

You may have noticed the fact that the cloth he summoned was from that Owl guy, one of the Shadow Beasts.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 18:48   Link #2025
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Yeah but I think the story could have quite easily solved that problem so it feels more like he's being intentionally shafted, rather than a simple result of circumstances.
Blame Togashi if you have to blame anyone, but while I respect your opinion I'm basically fine with it as is. This is the sort of arc that doesn't naturally fit Leorio's character very well, and in order to get around the unavoidable fact he'd be miles over his head you'd have to do some very iffy plot manipulation to make him relevant in a fight vs. the spiders.

I think it was handled very well when Gon sent him off to work with Zepile after they got the lead on where the Spiders were. It was a gentle way of saying "Go to the shallow end and play there, where it's safe" without hurting his feelings too much. As I understand it the Zepile/auction angle was given more detail in the manga and I do wish Madhouse had kept it more intact for the anime, which would at least have given Leorio more screen time.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 23:35   Link #2026
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That was like a god-tier level fight. I mean usually when characters have inner monologue and strategy during an anime fight, it's just filler bullshit to pad out the episode. But here, there's this entire meta-game shit going on. It doesn't hurt to also have Miyano do his excellent VA'ing.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 23:45   Link #2027
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
That was like a god-tier level fight. I mean usually when characters have inner monologue and strategy during an anime fight, it's just filler bullshit to pad out the episode. But here, there's this entire meta-game shit going on. It doesn't hurt to also have Miyano do his excellent VA'ing.
Who won the fight? It is a mystery....
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 00:53   Link #2028
nellA

Why did Chrollo Lucilfer protect Neon Nostrade? Earlier on he knocked her unconscious instead of killing her and then later on he told the Genei Ryodan not to touch the ambulance that she was in.
nellA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 01:24   Link #2029
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quick question: from which episode the new content (relative to where the 99 TV series left off) started from?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 01:47   Link #2030
garbage

^ well if it's just the TV I think we're already beyond that since the Phantom Troupe part is already on the OAV right?

if you include the OAV's IIRC its up to the end of Greed Island Arc
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 01:53   Link #2031
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Do you remember off-hand what episode would that be from where Phantom Troupe ends? I want to start watching this show again.
Old 2012-10-28, 01:57   Link #2032
leokiko

This episode had mostly content from the last episode of the TV series(had different scenes though because the one from 1999 omitted several scenes from the manga so you should start on the episode that aired today - 53). No scenes from the OVA yet though.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 02:06   Link #2033
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
This episode had mostly content from the last episode of the TV series(had different scenes though because the one from 1999 omitted several scenes from the manga so you should start on the episode that aired today - 53). No scenes from the OVA yet though.
Gotcha. Thanks!
Old 2012-10-28, 03:53   Link #2034
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

So yeah, this is where the original series ended. But if you want to skip on the things covered in the OVA as well, there's probably at least 10 more episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellA View Post
Why did Chrollo Lucilfer protect Neon Nostrade? Earlier on he knocked her unconscious instead of killing her and then later on he told the Genei Ryodan not to touch the ambulance that she was in.
Maybe he's just not as much into killing noncombatants as the others are? I mean it seems unlikely but what other reason could there even be? Then again, it's revealed that he wasn't fighting to kill Zeno either.
Old 2012-10-28, 08:40   Link #2035
ookamigirl

The 10 Dons dead.
Guess there won't be any protection of the auction.
The phantom troupe was running the whole show now.
Their dead bodies were probably just copies.
There's no way they would have died so easily.
Kurapika buying Kurta eyes. That was just weird on so many levels.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 10:11   Link #2036
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Maybe he's just not as much into killing noncombatants as the others are? I mean it seems unlikely but what other reason could there even be? Then again, it's revealed that he wasn't fighting to kill Zeno either.
He's a thief, not a killer. His goal is to take stuff, and while he's certainly not reluctant to kill people in his way, it's reasonable to think that if he feels like he can use them in the future he'd want them alive. Neon has her prediction ability which he seemed to actively seek out, while he's already been shown to like to hire the Zoldycks. Why would he kill a guy he can hire in the future?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 10:25   Link #2037
gsilver

Though the eyes were fake. I'm unsure how good of a copy the Spiders were able to make or how long they last, but I bet that it'll come into play soon.

Though I was a bit surprised that Zeno and Silva backed off as soon as the dons were dead, especially when they:
1. Were willing to risk their lives beforehand to kill Chrollo (Zeno especially)
2. Knew that the dons were likely to die before they even started
3. Still had the entire mafia organization beneath the Dons to fulfill the contract. It's not like the mafia would throw out all of their business deals over a change in management.

I know the writer did it for shocking twists but, eh. I didn't sit well with me.

I also expected some of the Phantom Troupe members to actually die, but the number of fakes matched the number that were expected to "die" from Neon's prediction.

Speaking of the Dons, I wonder how long it will take for the Mafia to find out. They seemed blissfully unaware this episode.
Old 2012-10-28, 11:16   Link #2038
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
I also expected some of the Phantom Troupe members to actually die, but the number of fakes matched the number that were expected to "die" from Neon's prediction.
They were never supposed to die today anyway. The prediction was for next week. Why does no one ever remember that part?
Old 2012-10-28, 16:08   Link #2039
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
Though the eyes were fake. I'm unsure how good of a copy the Spiders were able to make or how long they last, but I bet that it'll come into play soon.
Coltopi's ability creates a perfect copy, right down to the molecular level (including DNA).
Old 2012-10-28, 16:20   Link #2040
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Coltopi's ability creates a perfect copy, right down to the molecular level (including DNA).
Doesn't mean they last forever though.

Tags
action, shounen