AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-04-30, 23:46   Link #881
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
I'm slowly starting to like this show. Took me a couple rewatches to thoroughly get what was going on in episode 1 though. Just another episode more and I'll decide whether or not I'll stick with it till the end.

Whenever Chitanda's eyes light up, I cheer.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 23:53   Link #882
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Details for ED single have been released.

Madoromi no Yakusoku (Dozing Promise) by Chitanda Eru (Satou Satomi) and Ibara Mayaka (Kayano Ai) will be released on 05/23. It will contain the title track and a b-track entitled Romance wa Mada Hayai (Romance isn't that quick) plus instrumentals for both tracks.
I would get it just for the cover, but hopefully I end up liking the ED song after a few episodes.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 00:24   Link #883
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
From your point of view, obviously not. But, from my point of view, yes. Not because she's the club president, since I'm not Japanese and that's not my cultural norm (although that would seem to be a good enough reason why he should show Eru a modicum of respect in a Japanese anime), but because the norm (or should I say my norm?) is to respect other people, and she hasn't done anything to deserve the level of disrespect that Houtarou dishes out. Like yours, mine is a personal opinion.
If the issue is respect, lets see... We know she's late, and I would guess about by about a half an hour by the time she finally arrives. I admit to guessing, but they show several clocks, all at about 25 minutes after the hour. I don't think I'm reaching to guess that they planned to meet at 1 o'clock, as people tend to set meeting times at the hour or half hour. The clock behind his head reads 1:30 when she comes in the door with a small apology. She then proceeds to play with her coffee for about another 10 minutes, based on the clock behind his head, apparently with-out talking. By that time, I think most people are going to feel a sense of frustration and anger. When he finally asks her why she called him here; her only response is to dodge the question, saying that he choose the cafe to meet. Walking out shows no more disrespect to her than her actions have toward him. I just think we are too conditioned to male anime leads that double as doormats to the females in their harems to see how rude her actions are. And lets not go the date direction: nothing about this meeting suggests "date".

Last edited by billborden; 2012-05-01 at 00:27. Reason: spelling
billborden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 00:59   Link #884
Warm Mist

I don't understand why someone would say anything that happened in this episode is unrespecful. First of all, MC wasn't really intending to leave the cafe, it's just pressuring Eru to actually get on with it. A method used by many people around the world, it's called an ultimatum.
The girl was just nervous, nobody would seriously be offended by her being late or "dodging the question".

Honestly, people here are overreacting over an interaction that happens to be more realistic than most anime's interactions.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 01:27   Link #885
Egoplant

Oreki is probably the worst of the four main characters. Anyone else agree?
Egoplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 01:56   Link #886
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niker117 View Post

I'm interested.

Niker
No, no.

It is "I'm Curious".
Old 2012-05-01, 03:27   Link #887
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoplant View Post
He lives his life in a boring way, making us all bored in the process.

If it wasn't for Chitanda I would have slept on the first episode.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 04:54   Link #888
mihoto

Why Mayaka is so hot ?

Last edited by mihoto; 2012-05-01 at 05:09.
mihoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 05:33   Link #889
EroKing

"Watashi...ki ni narimasu!"

If you wanted to use any of the two as a sig
Old 2012-05-01, 05:43   Link #890
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
somebody should make a fanart of Eru being capable of firing lazer beams from her eyes ala Cyclops from X-Men
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 05:49   Link #891
Upscaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
No, no.

It is "I'm Curious".
Eru's line, "Watashi, ki ni narimasu!" doesn't have a snappy English equivalent, at least not one that comes immediately to my mind (but it's early morning for me...) It conveys a sense of immediate worry & unease that just isn't conveyed in "I'm curious." It's a short, neat phrase that says, "This makes me feel uneasy. It's on my mind and it won't go away!" It's sort of halfway between "I'm curious!" and "I'm concerned!"
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 05:50   Link #892
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
-snip
Good job on those . Its like watching my washing machine running.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 06:17   Link #893
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

I'm just waiting for the "Eru + Geass" fanart to come out.

Hehe.
Old 2012-05-01, 06:28   Link #894
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Man.. So I was watching this show and some of the backdrops looked really really familiar.

As it turns out, I actually live in the town where this show is based. On top of that, the spots in the OP are less than 200 meters from my house.

*mind blown*

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 06:32   Link #895
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
Man.. So I was watching this show and some of the backdrops looked really really familiar.

As it turns out, I actually live in the town where this show is based. On top of that, the spots in the OP are less than 200 meters from my house.

*mind blown*
Start praying for an Eru to appear?

Natch.
Old 2012-05-01, 06:43   Link #896
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by billborden View Post
...Walking out shows no more disrespect to her than her actions have toward him. I just think we are too conditioned to male anime leads that double as doormats to the females in their harems to see how rude her actions are. And lets not go the date direction: nothing about this meeting suggests "date".
Rude implies intentionally being discourteous or impolite, which I don't feel that Eru was being at all. She was late and nervous. We don't know why she was late, but, like I said before, she did seem to be out of breath as if she had been running. We also don't know what, if anything, was said during the apparent ten minutes after she arrived. Perhaps she spent the time ordering her drink and then explaining why she was late. I don't know, I wasn't there. However, Houtarou was being intentionally rude towards her. If it was 28 past 1 o'clock when he first said, "She's late," I doubt the arranged time was 1 o'clock. If it was, he would most likely have complained about 1:02, seeing how precious his day off is to him. And, likewise, I doubt he would have sat around for a half an hour looking at his watch every other minute saying, "She's late." He would have gotten up and left at 10 past at the latest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
I don't understand why someone would say anything that happened in this episode is unrespecful. First of all, MC wasn't really intending to leave the cafe, it's just pressuring Eru to actually get on with it. A method used by many people around the world, it's called an ultimatum.
The girl was just nervous, nobody would seriously be offended by her being late or "dodging the question".

Honestly, people here are overreacting over an interaction that happens to be more realistic than most anime's interactions.
If Houtarou wasn't really intending to leave the cafe, then he's even more of a jerk than I thought he was. But what he did isn't really an ultimatum. The ultimatum would have been if he had told her, while still sitting there, that he was going to leave if she didn't spit it out. Houtarou was pissed [offended] by her "dodging the question" and he wasn't going to hang around. He was intending to leave, and wasn't just acting all macho just to get her to spill the beans.

Actually, one of the things that struck me as most realistic in that scene was when, after Houtarou asked Eru why she called him out to that cafe, she responded, "But you picked out the cafe." It seemed to me to be a completely natural response, particularly since it was probably the reason why she was late to begin with.

Anyhow, I think I'm done with this particular topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoplant View Post
By far, so he should be the one with the most character development by the end of the series. Or one would hope.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 06:44   Link #897
kimpleng
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post

*mind blown*
What are you waiting for?
Get your camera and take some snap of it. I want to see the real location.
I hope you have some decent point and shoot camera and upload the photo at least 1600 x 1200 resolution.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 07:13   Link #898
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Is "enthralled" an appropriate word to use? That word seems to sum up how I feel about this adaptation.

Whilst looking for fanarts, I came across this little comic:
Images
Anyone able to translate?
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

These two fanarts are also very nice:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by blaze0041; 2012-05-01 at 07:31.
blaze0041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 07:22   Link #899
Akarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
What are you waiting for?
Get your camera and take some snap of it. I want to see the real location.
I hope you have some decent point and shoot camera and upload the photo at least 1600 x 1200 resolution.
someone has already made a comparison.

http://etesuke.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-519.html

Spoiler for :
Akarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 07:22   Link #900
brocko

Damn cliffhangers. Oh and who in the hell decides to even draw the back displays on them digital style clocks. Like seriously, what the hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upscaled View Post
Eru's line, "Watashi, ki ni narimasu!" doesn't have a snappy English equivalent, at least not one that comes immediately to my mind (but it's early morning for me...) It conveys a sense of immediate worry & unease that just isn't conveyed in "I'm curious." It's a short, neat phrase that says, "This makes me feel uneasy. It's on my mind and it won't go away!" It's sort of halfway between "I'm curious!" and "I'm concerned!"
"It bugs me/It's bugging me" perhaps?

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life