Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2010-08-13, 10:59   Link #1
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

AnimeSuki Status & Info

This thread can be used by admins and moderators to post information & news about AnimeSuki, such status updates (in case of downtime) and changes to the site.

When certain conditions are met, posts will be displayed in the side navigation section of the front page of the site (on AnimeSuki V3). This thread is therefore intended as a replacement for the short messages that are typically posted on the current site (V2), such as for example information about the latest Kairin image included on the front page.

To have a post included on the front page, the following conditions must all be met:
  • Post must be made by admin, moderator or site staff
  • Post must have its own post title (use "Go Advanced" to enter a post title)
  • Post must have an expiration tag somewhere in the post (see below)
What is displayed
Only the first line of a post is displayed on the front page. Please keep this line (relatively) short and concise. The following bbcodes are supported: [b] [i] [u] [url]

Expiration tag
The expiration tag determines until which date a post should be displayed on the frontpage. It should be either [ Expires:YYYY-MM-DD ] to display the post until the specified date or [ Expires:default ] to display the post for an indefinite time as long as there are no other posts to show with a definite time limit (in other words, "default" posts will be replaced by "temporary" posts). If no posts are either tagged with a default expiration tag or a valid definite time limit tag, the whole "What's New" section will not be displayed on the front page. Note: tags should not have spaces in them.

Link tag
The main link of the post can be changed to another URL by including the [ Link:url ] tag. If this tag isn't present the link on the front page will lead to the post on the forum.

Comments
Feel free to reply to posts made in this thread. As long as the conditions above are not met, any replies will not be displayed on the front page of the site.

Last edited by GHDpro; 2010-09-05 at 01:15.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-13, 11:04   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Site downtime (August 13)

The torrent site (www.animesuki.com) as well as the wiki and the v3 site (see my sig) are down at the moment.

Once again it appears to be a generic issue at our provider (ServerConnect, Sweden) as several other sites I know are hosted there (such as www.nyaatorrents.org) are also down, and even our provider's own status page is inaccessible.

I can only hope this down time doesn't last to long, but experience from previous times has shown it may also take a few hours to fix.

I'll update this post if more news is available. Such news may also be posted on our Twitter page: http://twitter.com/AnimeSuki

In the meanwhile the site is still available through one of our mirrors: http://animesuki.sandwich.net/mirrors.php
(However, as the backend that controls the mirrors is also down, you may get a "This mirror is out of date" message - please ignore this)

Edit: Site is up again.

[Expires:2010-08-14]

Last edited by GHDpro; 2010-08-13 at 11:30.
Old 2010-08-31, 16:02   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Once again it appears to be a generic issue at our provider (ServerConnect, Sweden) as several other sites I know are hosted there (such as www.nyaatorrents.org) are also down, and even our provider's own status page is inaccessible.
If you'd like to keep the servers in Sweden, maybe you should consider this ISP instead.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 01:12   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Site downtime (Sept 4)

Last night the main site (www) was down for approximately 5 hours due to network issues at our provider (again).

The problem started around 22:00 (pm) UTC on September 4 and lasted to 3:00 (am) UTC on September 5.

As these times coincide fall into the middle of the night in European time and I didn't get a lot of sleep in the days before, I left the problem for what it was and assumed it had been fixed again in the morning which it fortunately was.

As a reminder, should the main site (www) go down again you can always access it through one of the mirrors: http://animesuki.sandwich.net/mirrors.php
(However, as the backend that controls the mirrors is also might also be down, you may get a "This mirror is out of date" message - please ignore this)

[Expires:2010-09-05]

Last edited by GHDpro; 2010-09-05 at 13:29.
Old 2010-09-05, 13:43   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Site downtime (Sept 5)

Today again the site (www) was down several times for an hour or two (or more), though now appears to be working again for a few hours (knocks on wood).

Needless to say, my patience with this provider is growing thin. As I don't really have the time for it, I'm not planning a server move very soon however (but that kind of depends on when and/or how bad they fuck up again).

Edit Sept 6:
I just got the invoice for September for the server, and it's $20 less than usual. If that's as apology for the recent downtime, then it's cool I guess. However, the lack of communication is worrying.

[Expires:2010-09-06]

Last edited by GHDpro; 2010-09-06 at 11:10.
Old 2010-10-25, 04:57   Link #6
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Site downtime (Oct 25)

The main site (www) was down for approximately 2 hours. It did not come back online after a kernel update required a reboot.

However at this moment it may be possible the server is stuck running "fsck" (Linux equivalent of scandisk/chkdsk) which by default is configured to run at boot every 180 days. Still, it seems a bit long for this to take nearly 30 minutes.

If the server doesn't come back online by itself within the next 15-30 minutes I'll contact our provider to have them look into whatever is keeping the server from booting.

As a reminder, you can always access the torrent index of AnimeSuki through one of the mirrors: http://animesuki.sandwich.net/mirrors.php

Edit: The server is back online. Total downtime was approximately 2 hours.

[Expires:2010-10-26]

Last edited by GHDpro; 2010-10-25 at 09:07.
Old 2011-02-07, 10:56   Link #7
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Site downtime (Feb 6)

It's been a while (fortunately!) but the main site (www) was down due to network outage.

Our ISP was working on the problem:
http://status.servainet.com/message.aspx?ID=13

As a reminder, you can always access the torrent index of AnimeSuki through one of the mirrors: http://animesuki.sandwich.net/mirrors.php

See also http://twitter.com/AnimeSuki

Edit: Up again, outage lasted only minutes.

[Expires: 2010-02-07]

Last edited by GHDpro; 2011-02-07 at 11:29.
Old 2011-02-12, 07:53   Link #8
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I've noticed.

I've temporarily disabled the AAAA records for animesuki.com, otherwise the site will appear down to anyone with IPv6 (assuming the browser won't try the "A" record if the "AAAA" host is down). So assuming those with IPv6 are running dual stack (or otherwise can access IPv4 hosts) they should not have a problem accessing AnimeSuki at the moment.

Just tell me when it is back up and I'll change the DNS records back again.
Old 2011-02-18, 09:51   Link #9
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Er, not quite yet -- you forgot to set a timezone in php.ini, and this is causing loads of errors:
Quote:
Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CET/1.0/no DST' instead
Old 2011-02-19, 07:22   Link #10
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Timezone is set now. Anything else?
Nope, the site now loads, thanks

I've re-enabled the AAAA records for animesuki.com
Old 2011-07-21, 20:38   Link #11
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The forum server was down for a number of hours tonight due to RAID related hardware problems. The RAID card and a HDD have been replaced.

Due to the hard reset done after the server became unresponsive initially, I felt it was best to restore the database from backup. This took some more time. Fortunately as the forum database is replicated to another server no data should have been lost.

Anyway, I'm going to bed now (3:30 am here).
Old 2011-07-21, 20:38   Link #12
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The forum server was down for a number of hours tonight due to RAID related hardware problems. The RAID card and a HDD have been replaced.

Due to the hard reset done after the server became unresponsive initially, I felt it was best to restore the database from backup. This took some more time. Fortunately as the forum database is replicated to another server no data should have been lost.

Anyway, I'm going to bed now (3:30 am here).
Old 2011-07-25, 09:12   Link #13
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Although the server is not overloaded or anything the main torrent site (www) is currently responding very slowly.

I presume it maybe a network problem. Packet loss from another server in Europe wasn't so bad (<5%) but from my home connection it is terrible (around ~50% ).

Nyaa Torrents appears to be suffering the same problem (which isn't surprising as they use the same provider).

I assume our ISP is working on it (though nothing has been posted here as of yet), but I'll open a ticket with them if the problem persists.
Old 2011-08-28, 13:16   Link #14
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The forum was down for approximately 2 hours. I'm not entirely sure what went wrong: initially the server was unresponsive to all but ping, but after about an hour I was able to log in again.

To make sure everything was running perfectly I've manually rebooted the server and checked the database for errors.

All seems to be okay again now.
Old 2011-10-14, 06:21   Link #15
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

AnimeSuki main site (torrent index) is currently down. Previously when this happened pretty much everything at the same ISP (including NyaaTorrents) was down, but NyaaTorrents is still working fine. I've therefore opened a ticket with our provider and asked them to see if something is wrong with the server.
Old 2011-10-14, 08:50   Link #16
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

AnimeSuki main site (torrent index) is back online.
Old 2011-10-30, 08:54   Link #17
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

It would appear the main SSD drive for the server hosting the torrent index (www.animesuki.com) is er... toast. The server hangs at boot (and before booting it I noticed a kernel panic involving the boot drive).

Unfortunately due to various reasons this may take quite bit of time to fix, so I can't give any ETA.

Btw, I do have backups, so restoring everything shouldn't be a problem.

One additional problem is that I do not have a spare for SSD drive (the server is colocated; so I myself is the one responsible for hardware replacements) but the server does have a secondary SATA drive. Reinstalling the OS remotely could still take some trial and error though
Old 2011-10-30, 09:08   Link #18
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Update

Okay... seems like when I rebooted the server the BIOS thought it would be funny to swap the boot priority. And the SATA drive I mentioned above of course doesn't have a OS loaded on it.

When I fixed the boot priority the server booted without much of a problem.

Having said that I will definitely check the logs to see what happened and will order a spare drive (or 2 maybe) so that if this drive (or another) does fail, I have the spare parts to replace it.
Old 2011-10-30, 14:11   Link #19
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I've finished analyzing what went wrong and the cause appears to be quite simple. The main OS drive, which also holds the MySQL database and web server (Apache/nginx) logs is an SSD drive.

SSD are known to be really fast, which is why I chose it as the main drive. However they have one disadvantage: after a certain number of writes they will fail. Under normal circumstances (normal desktop use for example) you won't hit the "write limit" of an SSD within the life time of your PC (or server in this case).

But the various data gathering scripts are causing upwards of 50+ MB of written data per minute. If you do the math... that adds up to a lot of gigabytes per day. And as I mentioned before SSDs don't like that. So while fortunately the SSD drive isn't toast, it was "smoking" under the I/O write load.

The solution would be to simply not use SSD but a old fashioned SATA HDD for storing everything. This is also what I've done as immediate fix to prevent the problem from happening again: simply move the MySQL database and web server log files to the secondary SATA drive that is already in the server. In the long run I'll probably want to reinstall the OS on the SATA drive as well as I'm not sure I can fully trust the SSD that is in the server anymore.

I'll also look into why the scripts are causing that much I/O as quite frankly it seems a bit much.

BTW for those wondering why this problem manifests itself now: the torrent index was moved to a different (colocated) server about a week ago.
Old 2012-01-29, 14:03   Link #20
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The forum server was down for ~45 minutes just now because I had to run checks on the MySQL database and take a fresh backup for replication.

The reason for this is that sometime earlier this weekend the forum server rebooted itself uncleanly, which may potentially have caused database problems and certainly did break replication (the database is replicated in realtime to another server which is used mainly for backups, a process that would normally cause the database to freeze for several minutes every time a backup is made... which is something you'd want to do daily at least).

As far as I can see there do not appear to have been any major problems caused by the unclean reboot.