AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2007-12-11, 22:02   Link #21
Marioshinobi
The Traitor

Location: Burnaby, British columbia, Canada, Earth, Milky way Galaxy
Send a message via MSN to Marioshinobi
I wonder how long it'll take to appear on Canadian Television...

*sighs*YTV is my only hope...

Cartoon Network would never allow it.

Marioshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 22:58   Link #22
tbl
Affably Evil

A lot of Lelouche's awesomeness came from his voice and evil laugh. Bosch has one helluva job to do.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

tbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 20:35   Link #23
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

well i might check it on 08 (but are animes being effected by the writers strike?!)

& also that Lelouche's english will be adam park aka black mmpr well i did check on his ANN's http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...le.php?id=1283 it be interesting to have him as Lelouch besides look at Lelouch's profile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lelouch_Lamperouge
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 16:59   Link #24
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
English dub trailer is out!

http://revver.com/video/525970/code-geass-trailer-1/
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 17:18   Link #25
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
"this Britannia...will be obliterated!"

...they're doing it wrong. ;_;

also, did they just make the English script more anti-American than the original? 0_o
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 18:02   Link #26
digi.amuro

Yeah, lil Lulu's voice didnt sound very convincing in the dub. Also, the trailer, tho it got me excited, I realize was little more than bandai's cookie cutter formula at work. Their trailers are all starting to look alike to me now.

I have to admit (at least IMHO) I think JYB did a ok job w/ Lulu's voice. Maybe not blowing me away, but he only said about 3 words, so we'll see. Yuri did ok with Suzaku also, may take alittle getting used to, but I can feel it.

Is the female voice at the beginning supposed to be CC?

Anyways, nice to get a little taste of English dub Code Geass.
Old 2007-12-15, 18:16   Link #27
Westlo
Lets be reality

That wasn't too bad and considering most trailers sound crap it has the signs of a promising dub, not that I'll watch it by choice anyway on the DVDs, but sounds find for AS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi.amuro View Post
Is the female voice at the beginning supposed to be CC?
It probably is.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 18:42   Link #28
CJL13
God of his own ego

What was with all the fanservice? Also they messed up the guy from episode 1's quote when he kills himself, I mean it was in English and they still changed it?!
CJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 18:46   Link #29
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL13 View Post
What was with all the fanservice? Also they messed up the guy from episode 1's quote when he kills himself, I mean it was in English and they still changed it?!
meh, it's just a trailer. the final version could certainly be different.

offhand, I'd say they did it because that sounds a little more natural than "yes your highness". but seeing as how the Britannian soldiers always respond to orders with "yes my lord" like its the motto of the Britannian military or some such, it probably would have been better to keep it the way it was.
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 18:52   Link #30
CJL13
God of his own ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
meh, it's just a trailer. the final version could certainly be different.

offhand, I'd say they did it because that sounds a little more natural than "yes your highness". but seeing as how the Britannian soldiers always respond to orders with "yes my lord" like its the motto of the Britannian military or some such, it probably would have been better to keep it the way it was.
Yes your highness sounds more like they're under the control of Geass. Absolutely your highness sounds too much like they still have free will. But that's just me.

I do like Clovis' voice though.

The real question is trying to get my friends to watch it though. They have never even heard of it! My friend did like Eureka 7, and this show is sorta like it, so maybe I could just "Sneak" him into it.
CJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 18:56   Link #31
Sirth
Command of the Revenants

Send a message via AIM to Sirth Send a message via MSN to Sirth
Hmm. Doesn't sound too bad, I guess. Should be at least tolerable, though the cast will probably push that up a bit.
Sirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-15, 21:49   Link #32
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Yuri did an AMAZING job.
Old 2007-12-16, 04:00   Link #33
Marioshinobi
The Traitor

Location: Burnaby, British columbia, Canada, Earth, Milky way Galaxy
Send a message via MSN to Marioshinobi
Clovis: I still hear Endrance x3 *orgasmic*
Young lulu: Ew...luckily he doesn't appear that much.
Lulu:Johnny..hm...I need to hear you more than just " Well Then. " to judge.
Suzu: Same for You. Do it Haseo!

" Absolutely your Highness " - Wtfsicles, the Jap was " Yes Your Highness " and they still managed to translate it wrong XD...and they said it in english even!!! >---<

C.C.'s Narration is...eh..Hopefully she can be more mocking.

Kallen Fanservice for the win x3

Marioshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-16, 06:39   Link #34
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
WTF are talking about with this "Absolutely your Highness"... I heard "Happily, your Highness".
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-16, 06:46   Link #35
Meatrose
Antihero

Oh my GOD! The voices are all awful.

Not that it matters to me anyhow, but I feel sorry for those who will actually watch it in the wrong language.

C.C. failed in epic proportions due to the fact that she sounded too... American (not referring to the fact that she is speaking English of course). You ain't voicing no f-ing Disney-character. Jeez... would it be so hard to try to stay true to the source material?

Young Lelouch... don't even get me started. Sounds like a 12 year old with something really rough stuck up his ***.

Lelouch, insufficient material. Can't say really... but it might work better than the rest at least. (Still nowhere near the original though of course)

Suzaku's voice might also be "good... for a dub", but it's still lightyears behind the work of the original seiyuu.

Karen, lol... that's all I'm going to say. The american voiceactors lack of emotional investment in the show really came through... perfectly orchestrated by the insanely bad shots in the trailer. Pure crap...
Old 2007-12-16, 07:29   Link #36
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post
Oh my GOD! The voices are all awful.

Not that it matters to me anyhow, but I feel sorry for those who will actually watch it in the wrong language.

Quote:
C.C. failed in epic proportions due to the fact that she sounded too... American (not referring to the fact that she is speaking English of course). You ain't voicing no f-ing Disney-character. Jeez... would it be so hard to try to stay true to the source material?
She had no distinguishable accent in the original, what's wrong with her not having such a distinction in the dub... Though, I do not like C.C.'s voice. But my reasoning is different, I don't like it because it's another identical Kate Higgins voice... *yawn* Yeah, wake me up when you have more of a vocal range Kate.

Quote:
Young Lelouch... don't even get me started. Sounds like a 12 year old with something really rough stuck up his ***.
Hmmm... I think it sounds a woman trying too hard to sound like a young boy... just like most young boy voices in anime in Japanese. Glad they're replicating that element.

Quote:
Lelouch, insufficient material. Can't say really... but it might work better than the rest at least. (Still nowhere near the original though of course)
Hahaha. That last comment really shows in contradiction of the preceding sentence that you don't give any dubs a chance.

Quote:
Suzaku's voice might also be "good... for a dub", but it's still lightyears behind the work of the original seiyuu.
Pfft... Suzaku's lacking in material to judge too.

Quote:
Karen, lol... that's all I'm going to say.
Same with Suzaku and Lelouch, not enough material. A yell is not enough to judge on and this dialogue and possibly even the voices or acting may in fact not be final as the show is supposed to airing in a quarter of a year.

Quote:
The american voiceactors lack of emotional investment in the show really came through... perfectly orchestrated by the insanely bad shots in the trailer. Pure crap...
I know the shots aren't the best, but once again I'll tell you, this is not the absolute final product. Hell, Clovis's VA was announced to be Dave Wittenberg but here in the trailer it's obvious that the voice there is of Sam Regal. That's a sure sign that everything in this trailer is not final.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-16, 07:41   Link #37
Sirth
Command of the Revenants

Send a message via AIM to Sirth Send a message via MSN to Sirth
No offense, but I find irony in the statement "wrong language" when a good portion of the cast is British, who's main language is English (Actually, they're the original source.). Hell, when I think about it, if this was real, English would probably be the primary spoken language. Though I'm sure everyone would hate the idea, Lelouch having a British accent would be entirely accurate. And Suzaku probably would of learned English from a British school.

I am intrigued by this prospect, actually. They should of gone to Britain for the actors instead.
Sirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-16, 07:57   Link #38
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirth View Post
I am intrigued by this prospect, actually. They should of gone to Britain for the actors instead.
I was hoping for the same studio who did the Hellsing Ultimate dub which is one of the rare dubs I prefer over the original mainly due to English people actually speaking English with proper (or close enough) accents.
Old 2007-12-16, 08:18   Link #39
Meatrose
Antihero

Yup, you're right Tokkan... I seldom give dubs a chance nowadays due to the fact that I've never stumbled across one that was even close of being decent. What you were saying about "young Lelouch" actually makes a lot of sense. It sounds as if they're trying too hard to sound like something they ain't, and that is generally what makes most dubs fail; they all sound "fake".

Another thing that makes them fail (_in my opinion_) is that it sounds as if a lot of them is more interested in what they're gonna have for lunch than in the lines that they're about to deliver. I don't really need more material than this to be able to judge the dub as unwatchable, cause this sounds like any random American Cartoon Network crap that airs early Saturday mornings. Judging by their voices, you can't really tell if a loved one died or if they can't make up their mind about what fingernail polish they're gonna wear today. Lack - of - emotional - investment. Just listen to Karen's "scream" in the trailer and tell me honestly if you can watch that segment without blushing. =)

And Sirth: Yes, of course one might suspect that if this was all real, English would be the commonly used language... that's a given. What I meant by "the wrong language" and "source material" was that this is a Japanese animation, and since they didn't create this themselves they should try to NOT ruin the characters completely, especially since Japanese seiyuus are obviously by default much better at what they're doing. I do think that a huge majority of the dubs out there utterly destroys the characters just by sounding emotionally "cut off" or "fake", all whilst messing up the characteristics of the characters.

This might just be me, but given my past experiences with dubs I must say that I wouldn't even watch a show dubbed unless someone paid me a reasonable amount of money to do so. That's how much I think dubs suck in general. When I first posted in this thread I didn't mean to engage in a dub-burning crusade like this, but while I'm at it I might as well see it through to the end.

I've never understood why one would dub over the original voices, unless the target audience is either below reading age or simply retarded. Disney-movie's will always be dubbed, and that's perfectly understandable. Ghibli-movies are also dubbed, and that makes a lot of sense too. Why someone would even dub Code Geass is beyond me to be completely honest. I mean, would anyone who is able to read choose to watch dubbed material when the difference in quality is THIS HUGE?

Edit: I totally agree with you though, British VA's would've been much better... at least for the Britannian part of the cast. I mean, it would be sort of like Star Wars, where the good guys where using an American accent, and the sleazy, evil Imperial badguys where sporting sophisticated British accents.
Old 2007-12-16, 08:37   Link #40
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Why someone would even dub Code Geass is beyond me to be completely honest.
Thankfully for Bandai USA you're not in charge of them or they would've gone the way of Geneon a long time ago. Use reason, use common sense, look at the type of shows which are not getting dubs, notice that CG is airing on AS.