AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-11-08, 10:14   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Convert MKV/OGM to AVI the easy way

Alright, I've taken from this forum long enough, so I though it'd be right to give back a little. Here's a quick and dirty way to convert from MKV to AVI. It sure beats the old way of doing things.

MKV/OGM to AVI:

1. Download the open source video converter All to AVI. This is a video converter project done by an anime fan for anime fans. So he's done a lot of work to make your lives easier.

2. Click on "add file" (or inversely "add folder" if you're doing a whole series at once for example). Select your file and click ok. An error about h264 might come up. If it does, click "yes" and then "ok."

3. In this next window, click on the drop down menu for "choose your bitrate" and select middle (700kbps) as that's average for most anime videos. You can go higher or lower if you want, but that's the standard.

4. For subtitles, select "0 eng" for english. You can choose others if there are more in there, but you can only choose one at a time.

5. Click on "Change font" and choose the highest font size possible from the list, which should be Ariel 28, if you're going to view this on a TV or a PMP. You can choose a smaller font if you'll be viewing this on your PC. Currently the program only supports Ariel, but future versions will allow for you to pick from any font you want. (if you want to speed up the work, volunteer as a developer or tester)

6. Now, before you go on, there's a second window open behind your job window. Click it and select "24000/1001", then click ok.

7. Now click "add job". You should now see the new job in your joblist in the main program. From this point you can continue adding more jobs until you've added everything.

Once you've added all the jobs you want, click convert, then walk away and go do something for a while. When you come back, all your MKV's or OGM's will now be AVI's with hard coded subtitles. You may want to consider testing your work first with smaller MKV's and OGM's before getting into converting the big stuff, or large batches. It'll save you a lot of headaches later. Also, don't forget to check all your files after conversion to make sure they all got converted right. Simply opening them up and viewing a few seconds to see if the subtitles stuck

As a reminder, this program *is* beta, so it may hickup once in a great while. But overall it's stable enough for full time use.

Well, I hope that was helpful to you. Let me know if you have any questions.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 15:14   Link #2
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
Thanks

I've had some trouble converting MKV files to AVI (or MP4), so I'll give this program a try!
Generic Asian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 17:04   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

You're welcome. Glad I could help.
Old 2008-11-12, 19:56   Link #4
guess

I tried it but, where is the general setting? You know, where can I change the location to save files etc?
I see. Setting can only be changed after you add the job. Is there a way to change it even when you don't add a job?
Old 2008-11-16, 08:28   Link #5
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Not that I know of. Although I do admit that's a good idea to have. You could submit a bug report and ask for that and other features that you may want.
Old 2008-11-18, 05:53   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
question how do I get Eng subs to work if there isn't any named Eng (The file certain has Eng subs in it and is not extrernal)?
Here's a screenie

file extension is MKV from [Triad]
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 07:44   Link #7
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
question how do I get Eng subs to work if there isn't any named Eng (The file certain has Eng subs in it and is not extrernal)?
Here's a screenie

file extension is MKV from [Triad]
triad is kind of gay and hardsubs their mkv's so the subtitle is burned into the picture. it will show up regardless of what you select in that dialog box.

on a tangentially related note, this program is retarded. convert x264 -> "high bitrate" xvid -> portable? yeah, gg.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 07:59   Link #8
Branded Guts

need help!

hey i use a diff program, but i need help, beacasue, when i convert from mkv to avi the subtitles never show up in the file, im confused beacause i use vlc player for the mkv files, i wanna burn animes so i can watch on the t.v but they never have subtitles...

is there any way you can put subtitles that are already on the mkv file to the avi converted?

thanks!!!
Branded Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 08:13   Link #9
Emess
Slower Than You

Send a message via AIM to Emess Send a message via MSN to Emess Send a message via Yahoo to Emess
How well would this cope with say, VFR. I'd hate to think it just randomly dupes or drops frames. Seeing as I'm a linux user (and just need to makexvid input.ext output.avi) I can't exactly test it and see.

I'm going to agree with Fluff-chan, converting from x264 to massive XviD to make it portable is stupid and a waste of time. There is no valid reason at all to use XviD anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branded Guts View Post
hey i use a diff program, but i need help, beacasue, when i convert from mkv to avi the subtitles never show up in the file, im confused beacause i use vlc player for the mkv files, i wanna burn animes so i can watch on the t.v but they never have subtitles... is there any way you can put subtitles that are already on the mkv file to the avi converted? thanks!!!
The program you are using requires a subtitles plugin or something to do it. Go browse the fansubbing forum, doom9, and avisynth's wiki and figure out TextSub, or VirtualDub can do it too. Whats happening in your encode is that the subtitles are not activated. As they are a separate track in the file, they aren't on by default unless the decoder is set to display them by default.

E~
Emess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 08:26   Link #10
martino
makes no files now

I'm sure it CFRs, just like all the others...
Old 2008-11-18, 09:06   Link #11
Branded Guts

thanks emess

i found a way to do it but it reqires the anime to have a srt file to add the subtitles, im trying to find a way which does it without. most of the animes dont have rt files and you can choose a subtitle under the options on vlc player, whenever i convert the file no subs ever show up

thanks for your respose, i really wanna watch this one anime but i cant get it to convert with subs

i dont like watching animes on the computer lol

thanks again!!!!

Last edited by Branded Guts; 2008-11-18 at 09:07. Reason: spelling errors
Branded Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 11:07   Link #12
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
triad is kind of gay and hardsubs their mkv's so the subtitle is burned into the picture. it will show up regardless of what you select in that dialog box.

on a tangentially related note, this program is retarded. convert x264 -> "high bitrate" xvid -> portable? yeah, gg.
aah okay thanks for letting me know
but what program would you recommend if you find alltoavi retarded, just curious
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 12:13   Link #13
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emess View Post
I'm going to agree with Fluff-chan, converting from x264 to massive XviD to make it portable is stupid and a waste of time. There is no valid reason at all to use XviD anymore.
I can give you one reason why some people will/want to do it, although i find it stupid myself, old stb DVD player with mpeg4 sp support. Maybe those people should just get something like the WD TV, unfortunately no ssa/ass support.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 14:35   Link #14
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
aah okay thanks for letting me know
but what program would you recommend if you find alltoavi retarded, just curious
I don't know, I never do these conversions, if I had to do one I'd probably just use Avisynth and Virtualdub. Maybe one day I will write a real magic oneclick conversion program.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 14:41   Link #15
AceD
See You En' Tee

if i ever need to convert owt...i just use avisynth and virtual dub to, ive tryed this program before and it wasnt to good
Old 2008-11-20, 22:26   Link #16
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, you don't have to convert a high bitrate to a low bitrate in AlltoAVI. You can choose what bitrate you want. I simply prefer the lower bitrates as I don't need HD quality.
Old 2008-11-26, 08:10   Link #17
Makkusu
Redeye Ninja

I'm giving this a go now, hopefully it'll work, other programs just result in failure.

There's loads more options you have to chose from though, I just guessed them because I don't know an awful lot about this stuff.
Makkusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-18, 12:46   Link #18
sa547
*Author

Sorry for "Frankensteining" this thread a bit, but I'm gonna give this odd program a try, as I've recently got a portable media player and would like to have something watch while on the go (and besides it'll take some time until there's a PMP with full Matroska support). I also read some MKV-to-"n" conversion methods and most of them seem to require several utilities to go through until the video in question is done.

Go for high bitrates if quality is needed; low bitrates if disk space is a major concern. Besides, there are some people out there preferring "old-school" Xvid.

The lowdown: too bad the user interface had some unnecessary junk, should be slimmed down, be more intuitive and professionally redesigned.
Old 2009-01-25, 03:44   Link #19
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

I used to convert files with batch scripts when I watched stuff on an old laptop. Not as "easy" as a GUI program, but once I got them working, it was an easy drag-drop process. Perhaps they may be useful to somebody. To use them, you'll have to change the drive letters and paths to programs. The utilities I used are MKVtoolnix, mp4box, avisynth, and avs2avi. avs2avi has its own process to set the xvid parameters; read the docs.

The main concept behind these scripts is that the streams get demuxed to the same filenames every time, so the avs doesn't have to change.

Spoiler for drag_batch_down.bat:

Spoiler for down.avs:

Spoiler for drag_batch_hardsub.bat:

Spoiler for hardsub.avs:
mako1138 is offline   Reply With Quote