AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-07-09, 14:31   Link #21
revu

I already post this in other topic, but i think i will post it again in this topic:
This might help solve the problems:
My PC spec:
AMD Athlon 1500+
Ram 1 Gb
Ati Radeon 9600 128 mb

Work fine using coreAVC1.3.0.0 played in wmpc.
If u already install k-lite codec or cccp. I recommend u to uninstall both, then just install the codec u need. For me i only install divx, xvid, coreAVC, and vorbis with just that it work perfectly fine.

In the coreAVC setting just uncheck agressive deinterlacing, n set to skip all deblocking n no deinterlacing.

Hope it help ur problems.

Today, i got a good deal of athlon xp 2600+ barton for $15 from my friend, n i can play a lot of h.264 file such as hayate no gotoku, blue dragon, darker than black, etc. without any problem, except when the torrent is working sometime it got a little laggy, but when i close the torrent it work fine without any problem. It work with an AMD Athlon 1500+ of course it wouldn't be a problem for 2600+.
Old 2007-07-09, 14:39   Link #22
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by revu View Post
I already post this in other topic, but i think i will post it again in this topic:
This might help solve the problems:
My PC spec:
AMD Athlon 1500+
Ram 1 Gb
Ati Radeon 9600 128 mb

Work fine using coreAVC1.3.0.0 played in wmpc.
If u already install k-lite codec or cccp. I recommend u to uninstall both, then just install the codec u need. For me i only install divx, xvid, coreAVC, and vorbis with just that it work perfectly fine.

In the coreAVC setting just uncheck agressive deinterlacing, n set to skip all deblocking n no deinterlacing.

Hope it help ur problems.

Today, i got a good deal of athlon xp 2600+ barton for $15 from my friend, n i can play a lot of h.264 file such as hayate no gotoku, blue dragon, darker than black, etc. without any problem, except when the torrent is working sometime it got a little laggy, but when i close the torrent it work fine without any problem. It work with an AMD Athlon 1500+ of course it wouldn't be a problem for 2600+.
1) Don't install XviD/DivX/Vorbis/xxxcraphere unless you need it for encoding. You're just bloating your system with filters which you won't need and also slowing down playback in some cases. Furthermore revu, what you wrote there to install would play very few files (you missed too many parts which are needed in video playback, so don't bother posting such a suggestion when you don't even know much about the topic)... :V
2) Yes, uninstall K-Lite! Keep CCCP. I doubt that many of you know what everything you need to install to play video files properly and how to configure it, CCCP does that for you. It's the best way to go on a Windows system.
3) CoreAVC, don't play with the settings. Not with deblocking anyway, the videos which are going to use this feature will look awful otherwise. It's there for a very good reason...

@Tasuke00
Get CoreAVC first. It's cheaper than buying a new CPU for a starter.
Old 2007-07-09, 14:48   Link #23
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
1) Don't install XviD/DivX/Vorbis/xxxcraphere unless you need it for encoding. You're just bloating your system with filters which you won't need and also slowing down playback in some cases.
This is a seriously bad advice, official XviD codec gives off MUCH better picture than ffd, and eliminates most of the blocking even with deblock=off. And you can use it for DivX too.
Old 2007-07-09, 15:02   Link #24
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot View Post
This is a seriously bad advice, official XviD codec gives off MUCH better picture than ffd, and eliminates most of the blocking even with deblock=off. And you can use it for DivX too.
Really? Post an example please. And if you have a problem with ffdshow, then I suggest that you start troubleshooting your problem, because I've never heard of such a thing before. Both should give the same picture on output, if they don't then feel free to point that out in the following thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120465

As for that blocking, ever felt like poking the ffdshow settings??? It can do SO MUCH MORE than the XviD decoder in this regard.

Ahh... so XviD can decode DivX too? Wow... what does that make it? If you want to count how many video formats can ffdshow decode, you'd need at least 4 hands. Really, if you want the least crap on your system and most reliable playback then ffdshow is the right decoder for you. If you feel like bloating your system with an official decoder for each one of them... well, have it your way. n_n

Aghhh... Here you go, you turned a troubleshooting thread into a non-sensical XviD vs ffdshow discussion... n_n

Last edited by martino; 2007-07-09 at 15:12.
Old 2007-07-09, 16:11   Link #25
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
Really?
Yes, really.

Quote:
then I suggest that you start troubleshooting your problem, because I've never heard of such a thing before.
You did now. And its not really a problem, since Xvid is working.

Quote:
As for that blocking, ever felt like poking the ffdshow settings??? It can do SO MUCH MORE than the XviD decoder in this regard.
And thats the problem, its TOO MUCH SETTINGS !

Quote:
If you feel like bloating your system with an official decoder for each one of them... well, have it your way. n_n
It feels like you're just parroting something others told you. I'm relating my own experiences.
Old 2007-07-09, 16:12   Link #26
Skyward
Oblivious
*Fansubber

I would try disabling deblocking in ffdshow. To do this, go to start -> program files -> combined community codec pack -> filters -> ffdshow video decoder configuration. Then in the window that pops up, choose the codecs tab on the left and select H.264/AVC from the list. At the bottom there should be 2 check boxes, "Skip deblocking when safe" and "skip deblocking always".

On videos where deblocking is required, this will force ffdshow to skip the deblocking procedure and as a result speed up the video decoding. The resulting video won't look quite as good, but thats the trade off. Of course if this doesn't work, or if you're unsatisfied with the resulting picture, you can always turn deblocking back on by unchecking those boxes.
Old 2007-07-09, 16:25   Link #27
emptyeighty

Quote:
This is a seriously bad advice, official XviD codec gives off MUCH better picture than ffd
No. My humble experience from >1 year CCCP related work.
Old 2007-07-09, 17:17   Link #28
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Yes, really.
(hint: sarcasm)

Quote:
It feels like you're just parroting something others told you. I'm relating my own experiences.
Wow... I'm parroting someone? No, I've been with ffdshow for over 4 years now (gawd, not I only decode through it but encode too, not like that matters here though), and I definitely wouldn't recommend an average leecher to use XviD for playback, when you can have ffdshow decoding at least 20 other formats, and go figure, audio too. What is so wrong with simplicity, reliability and a very well done job nowadays? I definitely don't want to recommend someone installing many components when you can have one take care of many jobs in the same manner, and even faster (one of the reasons why it makes its way into good codec packs, and it's still under development so it's not a dead project).

Which leads to, can you please replicate the problem, tell us what file you used for playback and what version of the decoder you used, and post some screencaps too as evidence.

Thank you.
Old 2007-07-09, 21:27   Link #29
Nicholi
King of Hosers

If you are getting different contrast in "quarlity" with different decoders, that means there is a bug somewhere. Not "ZOMG decoder A is 1000 times better then decoder B". I doubt there is any bug though and this is more blind faith. Besides also being bad advice, it's just your typical newb advice .

Otherwise yes show us, don't be surprised when no one listens though.
Old 2007-07-10, 01:04   Link #30
Edgewalker
Nani ?

You could try using zoomplayer, it tends to work well with computers with low specs ( and you can change the processor priority pretty easily on it ). Might help a bit.

Another player that works well with low end computer is...dare I say...BSPlayer, but BSplayer only works with mkv files 1 / 10 times and the non free version is packaged with spyware...and it crashes randomly.
Old 2007-07-10, 08:54   Link #31
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
You could try using zoomplayer, it tends to work well with computers with low specs ( and you can change the processor priority pretty easily on it ). Might help a bit.

Another player that works well with low end computer is...dare I say...BSPlayer, but BSplayer only works with mkv files 1 / 10 times and the non free version is packaged with spyware...and it crashes randomly.
Hopefully mostly working painkiller for BSPlayer.

Also performance in all DShow players is mainly dependant on decoding.
Old 2007-08-13, 04:12   Link #32
wickedone

I was having trouble playing h264 format, (my specs are similar to the OP), and that skip deblocking fixed it perfectly. Its hardly noticable too. My thanks.
Old 2007-08-26, 09:07   Link #33
Kenji_Chaos

I am actually having the same prob
I even see like lines on it wen i play mp4/h264 files like ss-ayu zero tsuikama season 2
so wat does the lines means?
man, i should get a new pc >.<
Old 2007-09-01, 21:48   Link #34
Balor
o_O

What pieces of hardware affect playing a video smoothly?
Its just cpu, ram and video card right?
Old 2007-09-02, 04:01   Link #35
emptyeighty

Basically just CPU. RAM and vidcard can break playback if they are faulty, but they usually don't do any of the decoding, which is what determines performance. Decoding is in all but a few cases done by the CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenji_Chaos View Post
I am actually having the same prob
I even see like lines on it wen i play mp4/h264 files like ss-ayu zero tsuikama season 2
so wat does the lines means?
man, i should get a new pc >.<
Are you using CCCP for playback? Did you try the included players?
Old 2007-09-06, 00:58   Link #36
tritoch

Bought a new laptop. Pentium Dual Core (kinda old I guess- $400 dollar laptop)

Spec is 1.71ghz/1.71ghz Win Vista Basic
1407 ram - 1.37gb ram
ATI radeon xpress 200m 400mb shared

Having problems playing mkv with softsubs. It is just lagging bad.

Vs. my old laptop

Pentium M; 1.50ghz/500mb ram (+2gb virtual mem allocated from hd); Intel integrated graphics card 204mb mem Win XP

Which has no noticeable slowdowns even when sharing the memory with... Azureus/Firefox

Funny thing is, I can't run World of Warcraft with this laptop but I can run it fine with my new one but the opposite is said when playing video.

Granted I haven't fiddled with the new laptop's settings so things might be different if that is factored in.

Any good suggestions..

P.S. I tried CoreAVC and it really doesn't do any better than the ffdshow. My test were run with Ureshii's Dennou Coil 720p x264
Old 2007-09-20, 14:28   Link #37
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Honestly this is insane.I have a P4 3ghz, coreAVC and 700 Mo of RAM and it lags.

coreAVC improved things compared to the standard CCCP pack(with ffdshow and all the stuff).But the result is not spectacular.I tried all players available(windowsmedia,winmedia classic and zoom player).

The file was Dennou Coil ep13[1280x720].

I suppose that beggars can't be choosers but this is crazy.How is it possible that a video takes more ressources than a game?

I guess the final solution would be to buy a new PC with a fancy graphic card(I have a laptop).But it will have to wait better days.
Old 2007-09-20, 15:36   Link #38
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusIrae View Post
Honestly this is insane.I have a P4 3ghz, coreAVC and 700 Mo of RAM and it lags.
P4s have a bad architecture unfortunately...

Quote:
coreAVC improved things compared to the standard CCCP pack(with ffdshow and all the stuff).But the result is not spectacular.I tried all players available(windowsmedia,winmedia classic and zoom player).

The file was Dennou Coil ep13[1280x720].
Get the XviD version.

Quote:
I suppose that beggars can't be choosers but this is crazy.How is it possible that a video takes more ressources than a game?
Since when did games take a lot of CPU? (It's not like games are terribly CPU intensive, it comes down to the GPU with games.)

Quote:
I guess the final solution would be to buy a new PC with a fancy graphic card(I have a laptop).But it will have to wait better days.
No. Buy a better CPU. The graphics has very little to do with video decoding (unless the decoder supports GPU acceleration, which neither ffdshow nor CoreAVC do).
Old 2007-09-21, 05:38   Link #39
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

For some reason the Xvid reason of ep13 is missing,well it's not a big problem.Anyway,thanks for your advice.I will keep that in mind.