AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 43 28.48%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 31.79%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 34 22.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 11.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 3.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.32%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.66%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-01, 15:46   Link #121
Red Lupine
Bulzome High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
You mean you don't have that sign where you live? I always thought certain road signs are used worldwide.
And this one happens to be one of them. Its not used in the United States
Old 2008-03-01, 16:27   Link #122
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Not also in Canada, as we use a slashed P. I guess for non-English languages, a slashed P would make no sense at all lol.

As for the episode itself, Sunohara still is the man. His sfx play or even his reaction to hearing Tomoya was hilarious to me.

And I'm actually surprised Nagisa's parents actually let him stay. I mean, the other boarders before were all female, and Tomoya isn't even related to them nor have they know him for too long. No sane parent would let an unrelated guy close to the age of their daughter stay in their house, but then again Nagisa's parents are oddballs lol.

As for Nagisa itself, I liked it when she started mandhandling Tomoya. While I don't have a particular liking to that behaviour, I'm really getting tired of Nagisa's usual self. So her acting kinda like Haruhi is a nice change of pace IMO.

Speaking of which, Haruhi is sceduled after Clannad? That's news to me, as ANN, anidb, or even the 2nd season thread in this forum has no clear answer at all lol.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-03-01, 17:06   Link #123
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post

Speaking of which, Haruhi is sceduled after Clannad? That's news to me, as ANN, anidb, or even the 2nd season thread in this forum has no clear answer at all lol.
No one knows, and with this lack of information, I doubt it.
Old 2008-03-01, 17:20   Link #124
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But this was on ANN.
Old 2008-03-01, 17:25   Link #125
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

So like Monir stated, I also first got interested in Clannad largely for the family background of Tomoya. The bits that focused on that in this episode particularly were pretty good. It seems like Tomoya's father just doesn't feel it's ok to consider his future for him because he took away his dream of playing basketball. He is a man of regret and the only way he can become closer to Tomoya is if Tomoya opened himself up to him, which has yet to happen as well he feels hurt by his father. Perhaps learning to be part of an actual family will help him develop and he'll one day make peace with his father.

I'm going to have to support Skyfall in criticizing the sudden Nagisa personality warp. She could not of possibly developed that much between the last episodes and this one. It is utterly ridiculous that she was being so forceful.

This episode earns a borderline 8/10.
Old 2008-03-01, 17:59   Link #126
Deathscyther

I wouldn't say that the leap of her character development was that huge. I mean, she has been opening up more and more every episode. And we've seen this side of her shimmering through her at some occassions before, but she just wasn't confident enough at those times yet to really act confident and strong.

I think that the jump between this episode and the previous one was bigger than usual, but it isn't unrealistic. I think that it partly has to do with her finally creating the theater club and Tomoya's speech in the theater room. It gave her a lot of self-confidence. And she really agrees with Tomoya and thinks that she should give it her all from now on.

And she only acts like that (confident...and sometimes bossy XD ) when it comes to Tomoya. She's still kinda shy when it comes to her friends and other people. So it might have to do with her getting closer to Tomoya as well.

So her 'change (development)' in character might be sudden, but I think that it was built-up well.
Old 2008-03-01, 18:03   Link #127
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

not a very enjoyable ep. i'm hoping that Nagisa will eventually become more interesting, because as things are holding now, she's a boring and flat character. it'll probably get better as we dive into her arc, but i'm not hoping for much. the fact that they axed the rest of the characters from playing a part in the story means that it'll mostly be between Nagisa and Okazaki. the other characters, namely Kyou and Tomoyo, were a lot more colorful and injected a lot more life into the series. i have a feeling this series will let us down as we go into the final stretch.

note how the most entertaining scene in this ep was the sound effects scene, where it was Sunohora, Kyou, and Tomoyo that made the scene what it was.
Old 2008-03-01, 18:06   Link #128
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But this was on ANN.
Still doesn't give a release date.

But that's off topic.
Old 2008-03-01, 18:18   Link #129
Ketro

I really liked the episode, but I deduct 2 points because I dont want to see another story arc on Nagisa.
Old 2008-03-01, 18:23   Link #130
Deathscyther

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
not a very enjoyable ep. i'm hoping that Nagisa will eventually become more interesting, because as things are holding now, she's a boring and flat character. it'll probably get better as we dive into her arc, but i'm not hoping for much. the fact that they axed the rest of the characters from playing a part in the story means that it'll mostly be between Nagisa and Okazaki. the other characters, namely Kyou and Tomoyo, were a lot more colorful and injected a lot more life into the series. i have a feeling this series will let us down as we go into the final stretch.

note how the most entertaining scene in this ep was the sound effects scene, where it was Sunohora, Kyou, and Tomoyo that made the scene what it was.
Nagisa's not flat...She's got a lot of personality already and she's still growing. It could be that you just don't like her character and that you like other characters better. I mean, we all have different characters that we like. But don't say that she's boring and flat because of that. Every character has their own weaknesses and strenghts, and Nagisa's weakness has been her lack in self-confidence. Tomoya has been helping her to get out of her shell, but she's still far from ready.

She's still developping as a character (and in this episode you could see how far she's come up to now), while Tomoyo and especially Kyou didn't really need much development for the personality. They were already outgoing people, while Nagisa was hiding in her shell before meeting Tomoya. Sure, we've learned a lot about those two as well, but their personality haven't much changed during the episodes.

Nagisa's arc is still beginning, so maybe you could learn to like her more too. I mean...I disliked Kotomi when I first saw her...but when her arc ended and we learned more about her, I liked her much more. And we've known from the start that the story was focusing on Tomoya and Nagisa mostly. It was apparent during the first couple of episodes.

And we've seen everyone's stories of the 5 main girls (for as far as was possible without the romance with the stories of the other girls) but we've seen practically nothing of Nagisa's past and such. Sure, she's been there during all the other arcs...and she's been developping during those times as well, but the only episodes that really focused on Nagisa were the first 3 episodes or so. So I'm looking forwards to the coming episodes^^
Old 2008-03-01, 19:00   Link #131
superzombie23

I can see a big difference in the way the characters were drawn and different soundtracks used. Looks like they used that one extra week for something.
Old 2008-03-01, 19:07   Link #132
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post

You LITERALLY read my mind.

I'm sure someone will neg rep for this too, but go figure when go against the grain here.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2008-03-01, 19:13   Link #133
Deathscyther

Lol, this episode has been a deciding factor. If you like Nagisa and Tomoya..then you'll probably like the rest of the season, because the rest of this season will probably be revolving around Nagisa and Tomoya. And if you don't like Nagisa...or Nagisa and Tomoya like this...then the rest of the season will be less entertaining that the first part of the series, I guess.

But we're still far from done, so let's just wait and see
Old 2008-03-01, 23:38   Link #134
acrana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathscyther View Post
Lol, this episode has been a deciding factor. If you like Nagisa and Tomoya..then you'll probably like the rest of the season, because the rest of this season will probably be revolving around Nagisa and Tomoya. And if you don't like Nagisa...or Nagisa and Tomoya like this...then the rest of the season will be less entertaining that the first part of the series, I guess.

But we're still far from done, so let's just wait and see
Ho ho ho so little do you know if you think its only gonna be Tomoya and Nagisa
Old 2008-03-02, 00:52   Link #135
RandomFlameStrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrana View Post
Ho ho ho so little do you know if you think its only gonna be Tomoya and Nagisa
Well I guess more of the other characters won't be a bad thing (Is a Tomoyo and Kyou fan) but I wouldn't mind 3 eps of Nagisa x Tomoya since Nagisa's a very interesting character who gets some nice development. Besides Nagisa x Tomoya is the best pairing followed closely by Tomoya x Tomoyo in my opinion.
Old 2008-03-02, 02:00   Link #136
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
You mean you don't have that sign where you live? I always thought certain road signs are used worldwide.
Elsewhere the signs can vary to show a "P" in the center of the crossed out portion.

Also In Canada where I live they even vary between the provinces. Once you hit Quebec the signs start appearing all in French, so you better know the language or you are likely to get a ticket. Yeah they're nice that way.
Old 2008-03-02, 02:25   Link #137
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i know she'll develop more as the rest of the season goes on, but there has been very little to make the viewers like her in the first 20 eps of the series. thus far, she's been portrayed as weak and unmotivated. only with the help of the entire supporting cast is she any interesting and assertive.

and yes, those who don't particularly like Nagisa probably won't enjoy the rest of the eps just because the main focus is her. they axed the rest of the characters they worked so hard to develop throughout the series and suddenly jump to the character who has received the least amount of development (bar fuko).

[spoilerous comment removed by a moderator. Read the thread guidelines]
Old 2008-03-02, 02:40   Link #138
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I understand if you personally don't like Nagisa, but it seems rather uninformed to state that there has been nothing to make viewers like her so far. I, for one, was very impressed with how she totally took the initiative to help Fuuko during Fuuko's arc, where she practically usurped the main character role from Tomoya for a time. I don't think you can say she's been simply portrayed as weak and unmotivated the whole way through.
Old 2008-03-02, 03:11   Link #139
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

thats why i said very little instead of nothing. she has had a few moments in the first 20 eps, but not nearly as much development as almost all the other characters.
Old 2008-03-02, 03:17   Link #140
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
I don't know about you, but I've found plenty of my own reasons to come to like Nagisa, other than that I think she's absolutely adorable.

For the perceived "lack of development" (which I personally don't agree with), I would attribute that to KyoAni's continued use of structuring the series into character arcs, as they did in Kanon and Air, although to a lesser extent. If you asked me, her development as a character has been very gradual, and only now are we seeing the acceleration of her growth due to her relationship with Tomoya.

Closed Thread