AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-11, 13:02   Link #1
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Urasawa Naoki's "Pluto"

After realizing my thread on Hatarakiman was so popular (sigh... thank you ZeusIrae ), and considering surprisingly that no one already introduced Urasawa Naoki's latest series, i thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it again.

So here i go.
"Pluto" is a SF-thriller story essentially based on Tezuka Osamu's "chijô saidai no robotto" ( "the greatest robot in the world") which was one of Tetsuwan Atom stories. As i didn't read it i'll keep to introducing the characters and the plot Urasawa made his own. In vol.1, the main character appears to be Gesicht ("Face" in german), a police inspector, investigating on the murders of humans, seemingly killed by robots, and somehow related to the mysterious death of Mont-Blanc, the world's most beloved robot. Through his investigation, he finds himself having to deal with his own condition, and memories, asking help from persons he maybe shouldn't ask help from, being himself more and more involved as leads on his inquiries and tries to answer the many questions that come out one right after the other in front of him.

If you read "Monster" or "20th century boys" you must know how difficult it is to tell more about Urasawa's stories without spoiling them. So just know that he relentlessly inserts sideplots, which end looking less and less "sideplotish" or "fillerish" as you go on reading. He uses every parts of Tezuka's creation(s) he needs to make you craving for what's coming next. He completely rebuilds characters, and adds new one. There's no need for the reader to know the original story to realize how good the adaptation is. If anyone here knows about "tetsuwan atom", and read it, please confirm.

Though it is still a bit soon to say it is a new masterpiece ( only 3 volumes released so far, the latest one only a couple of weeks ago), there's nothing i could do but try to make you feel like giving it a look. The art and the shooting are even more skillfull than urasawa's previous works, not mentioning the plot, perfectly mastered. There's no way you couldn't become addicted.

The only problem would be the wait between the volumes.
That's why really impatient people should better wait themselves before they start reading, i guess. (Frankly speaking, i didn't look for english scans yet)

Anyways, i still don't mind sounding like a salesman.
I just do it because i love it. As i already wrote somewhere i'm not a native english speaker, and i hope my little introduction was clear enough.

The covers

There are also special editions the covers of which i'll maybe insert in a next post. ( wouldn't it be forbidden, like "too big!"?)

Last edited by raphaël; 2006-04-11 at 13:12.
Old 2006-04-11, 15:03   Link #2
IMSabbel

GET IT!

I also thought "astroboy remake? Bah. It seems urusawa has lost his touch...". But 3 or 4 chapters into it, its even more addicting than 20th c.b. and monster, imho.
Old 2006-04-11, 15:35   Link #3
raphaël
trainee archangel

isn't it? (raphalwayshappywhensomeoneanswershisthreads, thanksIM)
Oh, and by the way, i forgot to say it is serialized in "Big Comic Original", which is in my opinion the most seinen magazine you can find, as 20th century boys is in "Big Comic Spirits", a little less "auteur-like" version of the same biweekly magazine collection.

And i'm sorry i didn't use the english name of astroboy, i wasn't sure about it.
Old 2006-04-11, 15:54   Link #4
IMSabbel

but the latest cliffhanger is REALLY deadly

Otoh, i find it astonishing how much urusawas art has improved since monster.
Sure, the character designs are more or less the same, but the latest 20th CB chapters and pluto are on a different level, imho.
Old 2006-04-12, 09:27   Link #5
pnyxtr
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
There are also special editions the covers of which i'll maybe insert in a next post. ( wouldn't it be forbidden, like "too big!"?)
The special/deluxe edition of volume 1 is extraordinarily spiffy, anyway.
At first, I thought 1800 was a bit much, for just one volume of manga. But I was mistaken.

Go buy it now! (Just to continue the salesman theme ;)
Old 2006-04-12, 14:17   Link #6
raphaël
trainee archangel

Talking 2 salesmen on a boat

IMS, you're right, i really don't know how i'm gonna spend the next 3 or 4 months (5???) waiting, as i think i missed some chapters in the magazine.

pnyxtr, thank you for the advice, and welcome to the "introduce-and-make-manga-sell-or-more-probably-scanload" volunteers compagny. lol
I'll get them once i have the money, of course. Maybe you could talk my &é"peoi boss into giving me a raise?
Whatever, do you think it would be good for our business if i added the covers here?
Old 2006-04-13, 04:33   Link #7
pnyxtr
Geezer

Well, it can't hurt. But that metallic looking stuff that's on the cover never looks as good in scans, unfortunately.
Hmm, maybe a photo would actually work better, for once...
Old 2006-04-13, 08:24   Link #8
Yashiro

I love the series, more than Monster, but slightly less than 20CB. It's great, and like many, I was cautious about an Astro Boy remake. But, it turned out wonderfully.
Old 2006-08-06, 09:36   Link #9
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
Pluto

Hmmm, just saw it being translated into chinese and is out already. Bought volume 1, going to buy 2 soon.

Just wondering, is it a retelling of the World Strongest Robot arc, or is it a spinoff?
Old 2006-08-07, 12:48   Link #10
raphaël
trainee archangel

You have a thread about "Pluto" I created. So it might be a good idea to ask the mods to merge this one.
Then no, it's not retelling or a spinoff, I'd say that's a "Urasawa's remake". lol

edit : merging done. thanks to the mods. ^^

Last edited by raphaël; 2006-08-08 at 08:45.
Old 2006-08-07, 23:42   Link #11
SassyRobot

Pluto is such a good series! I'd love to own it. I heard licensing rumours a while ago, but I think it was more of a "so-and-so expressed interest". I think it may have been Vertical.

It is still running, right? Any ideas on how many volumes it's going to be? I looked on ANN but there wasn't any new information.

It's awesome seeing Urasawa's take on Tezuka's characters. And even if you know what happens in the original, it's still exciting seeing how Urasawa does things.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-08, 08:42   Link #12
Ratix

Whats the difference between a Re-telling and remake? It will be the same thing as the story in Astro boy? Or is it not? Or is he going to take the elements and make his own story revolving around it? Hmmm?

Currently halfway through volume 2 and I say its sure getting better. I'm still waiting for 20th CB 22nd volume to be released in my area <_<.
Old 2006-08-08, 08:47   Link #13
Ratix

I just checked wiki, so basically, Urasawa is "remaking" the whole arc? Similar main plot, but with its own stuff that can potentially deviate from the "The World's Strongest Robot" arc?
Old 2006-08-08, 08:52   Link #14
raphaël
trainee archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyRobot
It is still running, right? Any ideas on how many volumes it's going to be? I looked on ANN but there wasn't any new information.[/spoiler]
Yes it is, I will post as soon as I can when vol.4 is available here. Maybe I'll be gone before it's released, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratix
Whats the difference between a Re-telling and remake? It will be the same thing as the story in Astro boy? Or is it not? Or is he going to take the elements and make his own story revolving around it? Hmmm?

Currently halfway through volume 2 and I say its sure getting better. I'm still waiting for 20th CB 22nd volume to be released in my area <_<.
If you read my post above, you'll get what I mean by remake. Urasawa just took every elements he needed in Tezuka's story (ies) and cooked them at his own style.

And about 20th CB, vol.22 isn't in stores in Japan yet either, so you're gonna have to wait a while.
Old 2006-09-07, 21:26   Link #15
Ratix

Oooh. I just read volume 3. Nice.
Old 2009-04-06, 01:09   Link #16
mrsticky005
Banned

Looks like Pluto has ended with chapter 65.
Guess I'll have to read Atom boy now.
Old 2009-04-06, 12:25   Link #17
mrsticky005
Banned

I gotta say the ending for Pluto rivals the ending for Monster.
Old 2009-04-06, 14:07   Link #18
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

Great, this manga was juist great... Really a masterpiece.

I have got some questions though.

Spoiler for gesicht:
Old 2009-04-06, 22:28   Link #19
mrsticky005
Banned

Spoiler for a robot vs a robot:
Old 2009-04-06, 23:44   Link #20
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Who was the Teddy Bear?
Closed Thread