AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-05, 11:44   Link #841
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

How a character has "life" also comes down to personal opinion.

I feel like a lot of the characters in Fate/Zero had "life" to them actually. Lots of distinct differences, beliefs, etc.

But I do agree that a bunch of the characters in Sankarea (with how the anime was) could make you snooze after a short time since there was nothing BEHIND the characters really. They just..."are"...
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 12:43   Link #842
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
How a character has "life" also comes down to personal opinion.

I feel like a lot of the characters in Fate/Zero had "life" to them actually. Lots of distinct differences, beliefs, etc.

But I do agree that a bunch of the characters in Sankarea (with how the anime was) could make you snooze after a short time since there was nothing BEHIND the characters really. They just..."are"...
Well, Fate Zero was a bit of a bad example, as the characters clearly do have emotion and depth. It's just that the show was terrible at showing them because they all have the same super serious personality.

As for Sankarea, the characters had some personality in the beginning. Moreso than in the manga. But after Rea became a zombie, they just lost it.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 12:49   Link #843
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Well, I'd say it fit perfectly considering they were in a "war" where they (felt) they had to kill, literally, every other participant and their Servant in order to win, lol. But if they were to show them in between wars or something, we'd probably see different sides to some of them. We did catch a few glimpses at the very beginning.

And yeah, Rea seemed more interesting at first like when we saw her screaming down the well and her initial hangouts with Furuya, but now all the attempts at being a "normal girl" feel a bit moot at times given her becoming a zombie comes with its own set of problems, like how she's kept cooped up in the house a lot and whatnot.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-05, 16:43   Link #844
Midonin
Last Engage

Streams were a week behind. Such is the internet.

I know they're completely different genres with completely different goals, but of the works in Mitsuru Hattori's oeuvre that have been turned into anime, I prefer Umisho a little more. It played faster and looser with everything about itself, but it also had more material to work with. The tone was more appropriate to my tastes, but that's not to say Sankarea was bad. That the same author could go from nude swimming to zombies is feat in itself. This story does have more layers, so Hattori's writing has become somewhat more polished since then.

Rea's story was heartbreaking, though the show took a while to find its legs and have Rea actually become a zombie. Did make us feel more for her. Wanko still stands as one of my favorite characters from the show, and gramps provided some nice laughs on his own. I'd expect a second season to do more with the premise, now that it's just starting to roll, as the last scene hinted at.

I can appreciate the artistic value of the series, and the adaptation was fairly well done... Umisho just lines up with my interests more.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 07:15   Link #845
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

"I don't want to have any regrets."

I liked this episode. They also kept the good looking artistic visuals up to this point. The dialogue scene with Chihiro and Rea back in the abandoned bowling alley was nice. Though this episode was largely anime-original, I don't think it derails the story to endanger future chances of adapting more material from the source.

There was no strong sense of closure; but I believe it implied an intention not to end it all here. A strong signal to me that there is an intention for a sequel in the future. There's still much more to come, after all. Rea declaring that she intended to return to school and Chihiro's plans to preserve her using certain methods could serve as a preview of a few things yet to come.
Spoiler for more:

I'm a bit let down that I didn't get to see that iconic (well, to readers) "morning bicycle ride" scene get animated yet, though. I have high hopes for a sequel in the future.
Because I too, don't want to have any regrets.
Old 2012-07-08, 04:59   Link #846
Kyuu
=^^=

Problem solved:
Spoiler:

Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 20:19   Link #847
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

manga is still ongoing, so should we expect a season 2 if sales are strong (which from what I've heard, it doesn't sound good)

I pretty much only watched this show for Wanko.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:22   Link #848
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger View Post
manga is still ongoing, so should we expect a season 2 if sales are strong (which from what I've heard, it doesn't sound good)

I pretty much only watched this show for Wanko.
BD sales are 1,487 for volume 1, which is even lower than I had expected. And last I heard, the manga didn't really do any better than usual either (at least, I'm not familiar with any significant boost in sales), so I think we should pray for a miracle if we want to see more.
Old 2012-07-12, 05:30   Link #849
monir
cho~ kakkoii

So I just finished watching this series and the only question that comes to mind: Is there more to it? I'm echoing a lot of fans in the thread that the ending was anything but one. I want to know what happened in ep 12. Did she bite him? Why? Also was anyone able to explain the ending for episode 12? I'll comb through the thread if I have to, but feel free to write one if there isn't one yet. The show could have ended at episode 11, but not at episode 12.

This isn't even an open ended ending. I seriously thought there would be a preview at the end credit for episode 13. So yes, does the manga continue? I must know what happens next.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 05:42   Link #850
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
So I just finished watching this series and the only question that comes to mind: Is there more to it? I'm echoing a lot of fans in the thread that the ending was anything but one. I want to know what happened in ep 12. Did she bite him? Why? Also was anyone able to explain the ending for episode 12? I'll comb through the thread if I have to, but feel free to write one if there isn't one yet. The show could have ended at episode 11, but not at episode 12.

This isn't even an open ended ending. I seriously thought there would be a preview at the end credit for episode 13. So yes, does the manga continue? I must know what happens next.
The manga is still on-going, and is way past where the anime left off. Looks like the producers are waiting to see if the anime made the franchise profitable enough before they decide to do a second season. Don't give up. Look at Moyashimon, it just got a second season after a five year hiatus.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 08:32   Link #851
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I think we should wait for the next (and last) OVA and be contempt.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 19:48   Link #852
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Got around to listening to the official soundtrack today. The music particularly added a whole lot to the experience of watching this show for me, and I thought all of the BGM was very appropriate for the plot/mood. (There are even certain tracks I even keep in mind while going over later parts of the manga that have not yet been adapted).

The full version of Fuhai (the creepy yet pretty almost Halloween-esque music that often played when Furuya was writing in his diary) is haunting and charming to listen to. It was my personal fav BGM piece of the entire series. It also very appropriately translates to 'decay'. The track after it, Utsukushiki Kyoufu, is kind of epic, too.

Oh, and the cover/booklet and CD artwork are pretty. :3
Old 2012-11-16, 07:04   Link #853
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched up to episode 3:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2012-11-18 at 10:11.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 08:30   Link #854
ookamigirl

OVA 2

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami

Last edited by ookamigirl; 2013-01-01 at 08:57.
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 11:15   Link #855
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Spoiler for 14:

From what I've heard, episode 13 seems to hint at there being more in store for us in the near future. I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know, but I wouldn't mind more of this show, even if it wasn't all that well-received as I hoped it would be.
Old 2013-01-01, 12:17   Link #856
romcom89

Which Chapter of the Manga ends the Anime
romcom89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 09:52   Link #857
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I think ep 13 and ep 14 are well-done...

now let's hope there will be a lot of demand for second season since I'm interested with that Boyle Professor...

glad that both Babu and Rea are aware about their body condition... I hope this series will have a happy ending although the chances are pretty slim
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 13:51   Link #858
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

They're really pushing for a second season here. Instead of answering every question one could still have, they only raise more by showing us Babu's 'confused state' and a new character. Furthermore, they're strongly hinting that Rea is actually in love with Chihiro. She's barely able to hide it anymore.

Also, does no one in that school ask Rea why she's wearing a trenchcoat when it's not raining, or even remotely cloudy? Given how popular she is, you'd think at least one person would start asking questions.
Old 2013-01-14, 09:25   Link #859
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Also, does no one in that school ask Rea why she's wearing a trenchcoat when it's not raining, or even remotely cloudy? Given how popular she is, you'd think at least one person would start asking questions.
I think everybody believes Rea has a skin condition (she is kinda pale) or that she is going thru some kind of chuunibyou phase.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 22:31   Link #860
sa547
*Author

Sorry for the necro (pardon for the pun).

Had to do this because the other day I saw the poster at a local mall and got an idea.

Tags
ecchi, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural, zombie moe, zombies