AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 19 22.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 38.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 25.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 7.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 4.71%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-17, 19:14   Link #21
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I see.

But I don't think your interpration is neccesarily correct either. If they're potraying the symbiance of blue vs red in the traditional Japanese concept of kabukis, it really feels disjointed with the rest of the OP which utilized the more substancial bright imagery + shady/blurry tones and the western artistic sense (( Creation of Adam...Petia )) to reflect the unexistance of black and white in the moral sense of issues, but rather just the power which dictates what is right and wrong. Besides, unlike the clear colours of black vs white, red vs blue can very well be interpreted in other subcultures as well, such as the use of blue and red traditionally in war simulations.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-17, 19:32   Link #22
Codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
... rest of the OP which utilized the more substancial bright imagery + shady/blurry tones and the western artistic sense (( Creation of Adam...Petia )) to reflect the unexistance of black and white in the moral sense of issues, but rather just the power which dictates what is right and wrong.
Hmm, I'm not sure I correctly understand what you're saying ... I don't think the use of religious imagery is necessarily any suggestion of right or wrong. The creation mural reflects the temptation of man (Light), while the final scene shows a benevolent-looking Light in front of an Ascension/Resurrection of Christ-like or other angelic image, reflecting Light's aspirations to godhood.

Now the Pieta scene ... that's really interesting. I had assumed that the person lying horizontally might be Light in place of Christ, if it were meant to reflect his megalomania, even though it seemed like the one facing the screen looked more like him. However, the third episode OP suddenly shows the seated person's face clearly, and it seems that it is Light in Mary's position after all. And the person lying across his arms ...

Spoiler for Episode 3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Besides, unlike the clear colours of black vs white, red vs blue can very well be interpreted in other subcultures as well, such as the use of blue and red traditionally in war simulations.
If I had to see the colours as symbolic, I would say that red and blue were used here to depict opposites, the same way it is generally used in most anime. Red is fire -- emotion, passion, and raw power; blue is water/ice -- logic, calm, detachment, control. They are incompatible, and each other's antithesis. Light has the burning desire to remake the world in the form of his imagined ideal, while L is simply trying to stop him.

Likewise, main characters in anime are often associated with red/fire because their passion is the most important characteristic. You can lump them all together, but in general, you can say that main characters (not necessarily all, but many enough) are often those that are striving to change the status quo. Their passion is why they're main characters in the first place, I guess, since you wouldn't have a story if things simply continued the way they always did before they burst on to the scene.

And as a follow-up to that, at the risk of taking symbolism just a bit too far, the new red tinge to the scene with the policemen ...

Spoiler for Episode 3:

Last edited by Codex; 2006-10-17 at 19:54.
Old 2006-10-17, 19:34   Link #23
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Yes, Blue and Red can mean only one thing....
1P and 2P of course. With the exception of certain plumber brothers.
It means they have the same attributes, same power-ups, and same speed...
just a slightly diffrent sprite and of course, the color.
Old 2006-10-17, 19:43   Link #24
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Oh, so it wasn't just me who thought the OP sequence for episode 3 suddenly looked a little brighter/clearer? ^^;;

Well, too bad that the animation quality for this episode dropped slightly. There wasn't much in terms of actions, either... I'd personally like to see Light kill off the obligatory top 10 criminals of week at the beginning of each episode just to start things off. XD

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Old 2006-10-17, 20:03   Link #25
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

^

There was something amissly disjointed about how I phrased my words on the religious imagery context. My stagnant point was more of a reference to the idea that blue vs red in the kabuki context that solely refers to Light vs L in the OP feels out of place with the traditional generic use of black/white/gray in undertoned shades that don't reflect the standard idealogism of simple black vs white in reference to who is good and who is evil in the story context of Death Note. The religious imagery plays a different story context than the good and evil part, though I still found the Creation of Adam's DN potrayal with Light and Ryuk somewhat funny and ironic in a different context.

LOL at aohige-dono's Double Dragon referencing. Honestly, the first thing that came into my mind the second the colour of blue and red appeared was the sentai references.

I think we need a thread solely of OP symbolism/references.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-17, 20:40   Link #26
Srin Tuar
無謀

Hrm, a nice episode
Spoiler for ep3:

Last edited by Srin Tuar; 2006-10-17 at 23:20.
Old 2006-10-17, 20:45   Link #27
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
Oh, so it wasn't just me who thought the OP sequence for episode 3 suddenly looked a little brighter/clearer? ^^;;
Yeah, i noticed it a lil' bit.. probably 'cause i read it on here before watching the episode.

Episode 03 went as smoothly as the first two, not going to fast with the story teling which is a good sign when thinking about just how long the anime plans to last. Ryuk talk about the Shinigami eyes was also one of my fav' scenes from the manga.. and i'm glad yet again the anime was able to show even more of the stories true dark nature with it. Light's evil smile was seriously one for the record books. :3

As for next episode..

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-17, 20:59   Link #28
Codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post
Hrm, a nice episode
Spoiler for ep3:
Spoiler for Episode 3:
Old 2006-10-18, 12:40   Link #29
ShikaShika
無罪

Not as exciting as the first episodes, but that's because it simply lacked that one awsome scene the other two had. It was still stellar overall imo.
Old 2006-10-18, 12:58   Link #30
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
yep animation was down this ep...especially on ryuk...
the story is starting to find a slower pace but i hope it picks up next ep...
i cnt get enough of the OP/Ed song >.< loved the way light throws that apple to ryuk in the end song ^__^ cool as hell imo

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-18, 13:16   Link #31
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
So, what point in the manga does this episode cover up to?
Old 2006-10-18, 13:33   Link #32
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post
. (Lol, I wonder why he doest write down supernatural deaths, such as 神隠し, or vampire bites, etc really test out the death note's power hehe)
Spoiler:

Last edited by Rurik; 2006-10-18 at 23:01. Reason: spoiler tags
Old 2006-10-18, 13:38   Link #33
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperidge View Post
So, what point in the manga does this episode cover up to?
I've yet to watch the raw, but based on what I saw from dxgarten, it more or less covers chapter 4 to chapter 6. But one thing was shifted in terms of the course of events when going from the manga to the anime.

The course of events went like:

- L gets Light to kill Lind L. Tailor
- Those in the Shinigami realm wonder where Ryuk is and what he's up to
- Sayu asks for help with homework
- Light's father comes home for dinner
- Light makes his special drawer

After that the manga syncs up with the rest of episode 3. I omitted certain things because they were minor points (like Sayu finding a "dirty" magazine in Light's room, which he had for the articles on L vs Kira). The only major change is that Light made his hidden drawer compartment thing earlier in the anime compared to the manga.

Last edited by Dark`; 2006-10-18 at 14:02. Reason: additional information added
Old 2006-10-18, 14:28   Link #34
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark` View Post
I've yet to watch the raw, but based on what I saw from dxgarten, it more or less covers chapter 4 to chapter 6. But one thing was shifted in terms of the course of events when going from the manga to the anime.
I've flipped through the manga after having seen the raw and I'm pretty sure the episode concludes with chapter 5.
Old 2006-10-18, 19:17   Link #35
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikaShika View Post
I've flipped through the manga after having seen the raw and I'm pretty sure the episode concludes with chapter 5.
Sorry, my wording was off. I meant that it covered up to the start of chapter 6...which in other words means the end of chapter 5. That's what I meant to say, but you're right, my choice of words was a bit misleading.

Last edited by Dark`; 2006-10-18 at 19:57.
Old 2006-10-19, 11:48   Link #36
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
ToriyamaWorld released episode 3, hopefully this will help boost our recent bad comments T_T.
________
VAPORITE SOLO

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:39.
Old 2006-10-19, 16:15   Link #37
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Hmm,the change in animation is obvious in episode 3.Light looked a bit less mature and serious,wich is not good.

I did however like the scene where they contrasted Light's every school life with prisoners dying,as if to re-affirm how Light has no guilt or shame about killing other human beings.
Old 2006-10-19, 16:25   Link #38
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Does anyone else think that Light's "get police after L" scheme is kind of lame..

And yes L is more evil then Light.. L "sacrifices" people.. Light just kills them..

BTW Does anyone have any idea why Light's eye is gray in the opening.. isn't that suppose to mean zomby or brain-dead. (in some cases maybe blind)
Old 2006-10-19, 16:46   Link #39
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post

I did however like the scene where they contrasted Light's every school life with prisoners dying,as if to re-affirm how Light has no guilt or shame about killing other human beings.
I thought it was just to proves his alibi ....

Spoiler:
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2006-10-19, 17:23   Link #40
Shabazza
transcendental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex
Likewise, main characters in anime are often associated with red/fire because their passion is the most important characteristic. You can lump them all together, but in general, you can say that main characters (not necessarily all, but many enough) are often those that are striving to change the status quo. Their passion is why they're main characters in the first place, I guess, since you wouldn't have a story if things simply continued the way they always did before they burst on to the scene.
That scheme remembers me of the german literary movement "Sturm und Drang" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm_und_Drang) vs "Aufklärung" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aufkl%C3%A4rung).
Closed Thread