AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-15, 14:23   Link #41
RisArk

Quote:
I do hope that ADV does come back later to dub it (ala Bandai and Gurren Lagann) which would make it a must buy for me!
Bandai got it because ADV lost a lot of money after their incident. Same reason they're only subbing Clannad. They honestly can't afford to dub it, but they already paid the license. They're REALLY going back to basics now. Evangelion Money isn't worth as much when Funi picked up the EVA rebuild movies, so it's kinda likely ADV might go down.
Old 2009-01-15, 23:48   Link #42
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Ugh, I understand why this is happening, but it doesn't change the fact this is such a depressing development. Dammit, if this what's going to happen to nearly every "niche" anime series I get into, then......I don't know I might start cutting back series. For English dubs for me it gives me a different perspective and take of a given series than the Japanese which gives me more chances to appreciate the series. Nowadays, it's going to be viciously hard to pull that off unless I start indulging myself on fandubs (which at least 90% are utterly mediocre to bad).

Lousy economy!
Old 2009-01-17, 21:10   Link #43
Xanas

Send a message via ICQ to Xanas Send a message via AIM to Xanas Send a message via MSN to Xanas Send a message via Yahoo to Xanas
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
It isn't a mistake as ADV has announced that the sets will be sub only.

To put it simply the fans wanted it released as quickly and as cheaply as possible which means the only way ADV could do this was to ditch the dub.

Which makes this thread surplus to requirements now.
Which fans did they ask though seriously? They did this because of their own business problems. ADV just plays this off as fan wishes. It sure as heck isn't my wishes.

I'd rather see the series go unlicensed another year and picked up by someone else later than not have the series dubbed.

If they are going to do both.. well, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. Most people aren't into double dipping even though I'll gladly do it as long as the dub is scheduled.

(And no I'm not disliking them as someone who doesn't purchase dvds. I spent almost 5000 last year on anime dvds and over 1000 of that went to ADV. I'm really not happy with them at the moment.)
Old 2009-01-21, 05:53   Link #44
darry

say no to anime dubs ! it just ruins everything especially when its poorly made
Old 2009-01-21, 06:24   Link #45
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by darry View Post
You know, even if they DID dub it, they would still have had the japanese version on the DVDs. Except from a few kids-shows, pretty much all anime is released with both the english and japanese version intact these days. But regardless, this entire discussion was rendered pointless when ADV announced that the set would be sub-only.
Old 2009-01-21, 14:10   Link #46
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by darry View Post
Dubs aren't poorly done these days. Just poorly/incorrectly translated. And even then it's lessening.

One reason why dubs tend to sound rather bad is because they have to match the mouth flaps from another language and thus sound rather robotic. Video games, for the most part, do not have this problem, hence the higher quality of voice acting in localized Japanese games.
Old 2009-01-25, 13:04   Link #47
EmperorBrandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Ugh, I understand why this is happening, but it doesn't change the fact this is such a depressing development. Dammit, if this what's going to happen to nearly every "niche" anime series I get into, then......I don't know I might start cutting back series. For English dubs for me it gives me a different perspective and take of a given series than the Japanese which gives me more chances to appreciate the series.!
I agree completely with those thoughts. I'm really disappointed that ADV's sets will not have a dub (I guess there's a possibility of a dub from ADV sometime in the future, but I doubt it). I'll still be buying Clannad anyway, though, because I love the series.
Old 2009-05-06, 02:52   Link #48
Tophi
Haruhiism!

I personally think that a dub in Clannad will ruin it. The Japanese voices are really good. Why not teach them English? Nagisa will still have that kawaii voice I loved and Ushio's too.

No offense. It's hilarious to think Botan would say a realistic "oink, oink!"
It's better with Puhi! Puhi!
But, do boars even say that??
Old 2009-05-06, 17:26   Link #49
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophi View Post
I personally think that a dub in Clannad will ruin it. The Japanese voices are really good. Why not teach them English? Nagisa will still have that kawaii voice I loved and Ushio's too.

No offense. It's hilarious to think Botan would say a realistic "oink, oink!"
It's better with Puhi! Puhi!
But, do boars even say that??
The VA cast for Clannad was just on a whole different level when it comes to quality in my opinion. Dubbing Clannad will detract from the show because I doubt there are any American VA's out there that will be able to even be decent. I'd rather just keep the subs.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-05-06, 18:01   Link #50
Manic
real men love pink

still i am not gonna buy subbed dvds when my eclipse subs are superior to anything adv comes out with. Dubbing even if it ends up not being as good gives ppl the option to choose between the 2 audios. Its not like theyd only release it in english and leave the jap audio/subs off. They shot themselves in the foot and lost alot of potential money rushing this out just to make a quick buck.

I hope they dont get the license to season 2 and whoever gets it buys out season 1 so it can all be dubbed someday.
Old 2009-05-06, 18:01   Link #51
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

How did the dubbing of Kanon 2006 go? That would be a clue how Clannad might go.
Old 2009-05-06, 19:29   Link #52
Manic
real men love pink

it wasnt bad, but cant really compare cus they were released under different circumstances
Old 2009-05-06, 22:56   Link #53
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
The VA cast for Clannad was just on a whole different level when it comes to quality in my opinion. Dubbing Clannad will detract from the show because I doubt there are any American VA's out there that will be able to even be decent. I'd rather just keep the subs.
My thoughts exactly I was not impressed with Kanon or AIR's dub cast at all. Mis pronunciations and feeble voice actor attempts galore.
Old 2009-05-07, 00:18   Link #54
Manic
real men love pink

haha the most difficult thing i had trouble accepting was the dub VA saying uguu, just wasnt the same. Shoulda kept with the jap uguu haha
Old 2009-05-07, 02:24   Link #55
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
haha the most difficult thing i had trouble accepting was the dub VA saying uguu,

You can't fucking be serious.

They actually dubbed Kanon and forced the VA to go uguu?

Oh... dear... me.

And no, I really don't think Clannad should be dubbed. Its un-dubbable.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-07, 02:47   Link #56
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Nonsense words or still nonsense in any language.

Though it makes me wonder how (or if) they translated "desu". It would not normally be a problem, though some characters tend to over use some words, perhaps for cuteness.

Suiseiseki in Rozen Maidens must have caused the dubbers fits with her serious overuse of "desu", but Fuuko also uses it a bit.
Old 2009-05-07, 04:15   Link #57
Manic
real men love pink

i doubt that would be added in, and if it was it would be changed to another word. I remember in the shakugan no shana dub the maid chick didnt say her catch phrase she always says in the jap version *tho to be honest i liked that it was left out*.
Old 2009-05-07, 16:44   Link #58
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
haha the most difficult thing i had trouble accepting was the dub VA saying uguu, just wasnt the same. Shoulda kept with the jap uguu haha
How about Nyuu~ and Auuu~? I pretty much loved all the cute phrases but I have a hard time imagining it being said in English...

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-05-07, 22:14   Link #59
Manic
real men love pink

Its been awhile so i cant remember if she said Nyuu, but i am pretty sure the dub VA said Auuu.

also another point about why clannad needs to be dub, i know most of you would still just watch the sub, but not having a dub available alienates the casual watchers. A lot of ppl over here are not gonna watch cartoons in japanese.
Old 2009-05-07, 22:38   Link #60
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
A lot of ppl over here are not gonna watch cartoons in japanese.
Where did you get that idea.

But anyway, a lot of people over here are not going to watch cartoons in Japanese, if they are shown on public television (obviously because you can't have it in Japanese due to this Yankee superstition of fear against different languages). A lot of people here, are going to want anime in Japanese if they purchase DVDs. Not that DVDs don't already give you that option to switch languages already anyway.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Closed Thread